NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

https://gematsu.com/2019/10/mario-luigi-rpg-series-developer-alphadream-files-for-bankruptcy

FUCK!!! This is horrible news :( 

I can’t believe that Nintendo is allowing this to happen!! They’ve been working with Alphadream for over 17 years!!! (23 if you consider that the core staff came from the original SMRPG team!)

Surely they have to at least absorb the staff? SURELY!? COME ON!! You bailed out the Hudson and the Flagship staff and absorbed them! You owe the guys at Alphadream that much!!!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 2

content-4-36003-alphadreamfilefor%20bankruptcybanner.jpg

AlphaDream Files For Bankruptcy

Terrible news indeed :( not an article I thought I'd be writing, especially the day after reporting on Monolithsoft's 20th anniversary.

Here's hoping that Nintendo can step in and do something decent to save the staff who have been effectively working for them for a long time now.

I know I haven't completed many of their games, but I still hoped to one day and I still bought the titles as well.

Heck, there are plenty of other projects Nintendo could give them to work on, I'd take a Paper Mario remake if Intelligent Systems aren't working on one.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I can’t believe that Nintendo is allowing this to happen!!

I don't see how their bankruptcy is Nintendo's problem, not to sound cruel but they are a completely separate company aren't they? Nintendo may have worked with them consistently for the better part of 20 years but they don't have a say on how the company is run. Obviously the higher ups at Alphadream were making some pretty glaring errors to leave the company in such steep debt, the only way Nintendo is at fault is if they weren't giving Alphadream a fair share of the revenue but they probably wouldn't have worked together for so long if that was the case.

Hopefully the developers can find jobs elsewhere quickly and Nintendo should absolutely help in that situation

Geez, that's not the news you want to hear when you're currently playing through Dream Team again...

Pretty devestating. Paper Jam is legit one of the best RPG's on the 3DS.

Edited by Glen-i

I feel for them, you don't like to see anyone lose their job (especially those who are middle management and down who probably had little influence over this situation). They did 5 of those Mario & Luigi RPGs in the end. If they bundled them together for switch that would be well worth the full 40quid price tag of a new game, and I cannot imagine it would take you that long to do. 

Nintendo has posted two new job listings on its official Japanese site today, calling for talented individuals who know a thing or two about level design. The first listing is for a 2D action game, with the second being for a 3D action game. Both jobs are searching for someone who can create courses and complete gameplay and bug checks.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/10/looks_like_nintendo_might_be_hiring_developers_for_a_new_2d_mario_game

content-4-36009-nintendoswitchsells10millbanner.jpg

Switch Sales Surpass 10 Million on the front page.

Now Nintendo about all that money you've made from the Switch so far...

Maybe it's time to buy up some loyal developers who are in a spot of financial difficulty?

It would be worthwhile in the long run as I'm sure Mario & Luigi on the Switch would sell tonnes. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S.C.G said:

Now Nintendo about all that money you've made from the Switch so far...

Maybe it's time to buy up some loyal developers who are in a spot of financial difficulty?

I'd rather that they actually invest some money into their online infrastructure. Speaking of which...

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

I'd rather that they actually invest some money into their online infrastructure. Speaking of which...

Oh yeah, that as well. :D

Good shout on the Arlo video, will check that out later. :)

Controversial opinion, I'm sure no one will agree with, but I was never a fan of the Mario+Luigi games. They just felt really low budget, with so. much. dialogue. The last one I tried was Dream Team Bros and that bored me to tears after a few hours. 

But I'm weird in that I actually loved Sticker Star and Colour Splash

As for Switch Online, if Arlo's talking about the actual infrastructure and experience playing games online fair enough (though I thought that was pretty much fine now, apart from Mario Maker). If he's talking about the whole package then I find it very hard to agree that £18 a year (or cheaper) for Nintendo's best of NES and SNES is a bad deal.

For balance, Gamexplain's thoughts

Edited by Ronnie

He's talking about lag/connection issues. He mentions the NES/SNES games and says if you're subscribed to the service for that then you probably won't have any issues with the service.

I'm honestly surprised he didn't show Kirby in this video. At least he showed how shoddy Super Mario Party is online. 

27 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

He's talking about lag/connection issues. He mentions the NES/SNES games and says if you're subscribed to the service for that then you probably won't have any issues with the service.

Cheers, used to watch Arlo but then his commentary started to seem a bit out of touch so I stopped.

I haven't watched him in ages. It just popped up on YouTube and seeing as I recently complained about Nintendo's shoddy online connections, I figured I would give it a watch. Dude was on point.

Out of curiosity, those who have lag/connection issues, are you using the built in WiFi on the switch or a wired connection with one of those USB dongles?

The reason I ask is because back when I first got my switch, Splatoon 2 was ridiculous to play. As much as this might sound like an overeaction, it actually felt unplayable at times. It was incredibly laggy and constantly disconnecting me. It made no sense because my router was in the same room as my Switch and I had used my Wii U in that room for the previous 4 years without any issues. I picked up a USB network adapters and it made a HUGE difference when it came to playing online and playing Splatoon 2 now is pretty much flawless for me although that is the only online game I own, I've not played stuff like Smash brothers or Mario Maker 2

My connection is wired. It didn't make a difference to Super Kirby Clash or Super Mario Party. Not that it matters though. My subscription is now up and I have no reason to renew it.

N-Eaction:  DS Games on the Switch 

content-2-36014-neactiondsgamesontheswitchsidebox.jpg

With the recent announcement of Brain Training being brought to the Switch, we thought it would be interesting to look at other potential DS games for the Switch.

In it we look at games which would work, titles that only really fit being on the original DS and possibly unrealistic examples which we'd just love to see return.

Thanks to @Glen-i & @Vileplume2000 for their input and @RedShell for making another excellent set of graphics. :grin:

Enjoy and let us know which DS games you would like to see come out on the Switch in the future, if any at all. :peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Need help.

So I just bought 5 games in the sale. Go to buy the one I REALLY wanted (FFVII) and my card was rejected. Tried another card, rejected. Third time lucky? Nope.

None of my cards are working on the e-shop now for some reason. Anyone experienced this before? Any advice? Google isn’t throwing up much in the way of answers. 

13 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Need help.

So I just bought 5 games in the sale. Go to buy the one I REALLY wanted (FFVII) and my card was rejected. Tried another card, rejected. Third time lucky? Nope.

None of my cards are working on the e-shop now for some reason. Anyone experienced this before? Any advice? Google isn’t throwing up much in the way of answers. 

Maybe they rate limit purchases or something? Or your bank blocked it, but weird that 3 cards didn't work.

11 minutes ago, Ike said:

Maybe they rate limit purchases or something? Or your bank blocked it, but weird that 3 cards didn't work.

Yeah it can't be the bank because after the first was blocked I tried to use three different cards. Two Russian ones and a UK one. Paypal worked in the end.

@londragon said something similar happened to him when he spent +£50 in one go, so I'm thinking it could be that. They must have some kind of limit. I had 5 transactions in 5 minutes (don't like pre-loading money). Found some answers on Reddit that suggest it could be a temporary fraud prevention ban for spending too much in one go. I could understand them banning one card, but ALL cards? Beyond stupid, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

But OK Nintendo, whatever, I'll keep my money then. Thanks.

Edited by Nicktendo

16 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Need help.

I’d guess that your bank assumed it was fraud and auto-triggered an account block; because you made multiple purchases within a set amount of time.

My bank does the same thing and it can be pretty irritating to deal with.

Cant imagine that Nintendo would be responsible.

Edited by Dcubed

There's been some new rules and regulations with card payments introduced recently to prevent fraud, could be related to that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I’d guess that your bank assumed it was fraud and auto-triggered an account block; because you made multiple purchases within a set amount of time.

My bank does the same thing and it can be pretty irritating to deal with.

Cant imagine that Nintendo would be responsible.

But I’m using different cards with different banks and they’re ALL being rejected. This is what I don’t understand.