13 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

A new Monkey Ball is coming to the Switch

7G2Qnok.jpg

13 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

well, not completely new as it's a remake of the Wii's Banana Blitz

AGOZqrn.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

When rumours started to spread about a new Monkey Ball on Switch/PS4 I got excited. Now it seems it's yet another remake of an old game :indeed: and from that screenshot it looks like the minimum amount of work is being put in.

• Thanks 1

Was Banana Blitz any good? I never played anything past Monkey Ball 2 on the GC.

3 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Was Banana Blitz any good? I never played anything past Monkey Ball 2 on the GC.

I think so, I seem to remember it being good on the Wii, certainly better than Step and Roll in any case.

It's probably the best Super Monkey Ball game before the series lost its way.

So not as good as Super Monkey Ball 1&2 or DX but better than Step & Roll and... anything made after that point.

• Thanks 1

It wasn't as good as 1 or 2, but the party game were ok.

The main game was quite a bit easier, which could be a good or bad thing depending on preference.

• Thanks 1

Wow! This game finds a way to disappoint me twice! That’s really impressive!

6 hours ago, killthenet said:

No, it’s crap.  This is the game which started the downfall of the series (I suppose you could argue that Touch N’ Roll started it off, but it wasn’t actually a new game since it was actually a remixed version of SMB1 with rubbish controls and ugly art; so I wouldn’t count it myself).

It sucks, it’s awful, avoid, avoid, avoid!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 2

I don't think my memory of Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz is serving me well, I can't have played it for very long back in the day.

I do remember Super Monkey Ball Adventure though... I can't forget that one. :blank:

I always thought it was Super Monkey Ball: Step and Roll that was the one to avoid.

10 hours ago, Dcubed said:

This is the game which started the downfall of the series..

I think you'll find that it was Super Monkey Ball 2 :nono:

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 1
  • Weird 1

41 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I think you'll find that it was Super Monkey Ball 2 :nono:

I think you'll find that you're crazy. :heh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Banana Blitz was nowhere as good as SMB1, but also nowhere as bad as any of the Monkey Ball games after it. SMB1 and DX are the best 2 games in the series, SMB2 and BB are second tier and the rest is awfull.

• Thanks 1

Edit- Didn't see there was a topic about this already

Edited by Helmsly

Banana Blitz was a good game at the time. I played through it when it released and enjoyed it. I can’t be massively excited about it though because 1&2 were much, much better. 

I wish they'd just release the Monkey Target minigame from Gamecube for a few quid on the eShop.

• Like 2

Given the SwitchLite drops HD Rumble & the IR sensor surely this will only mean even fewer developers will have functionality for these, already completely under-utilised, features in their games.

With that in mind, I really think Nintendo should drop these features from new JoyCon.

With cost savings of dropping these features they should reinvest in better quality components in their thumbsticks to eradicate the drift issue they have!

1 hour ago, Kav said:

Given the SwitchLite drops HD Rumble & the IR sensor surely this will only mean even fewer developers will have functionality for these, already completely under-utilised, features in their games.

With that in mind, I really think Nintendo should drop these features from new JoyCon.

With cost savings of dropping these features they should reinvest in better quality components in their thumbsticks to eradicate the drift issue they have!

The Switch Lite can still connect to Joy-Cons/Pro Controllers.  Those games/features are not incompatible with the Switch Lite...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kav said:

Still can't believe Nintendo have the audacity to sell a product that's obviously faulty for 80 bucks. But they've been getting away with it quite nicely, so far ::shrug: The gaming press slowly starts to cover this a little more, though.

• Like 1

Is it still an issue, though? From what I understand, it was a problem that only occured in the first batch of JoyCons and the ones that came with the Switch when it launched. The new JoyCons should be free from drifting. Or am I mistaken?

19 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Is it still an issue, though?

That's the question. Nintendo haven't given a statement whether the new ones are free from the issue (in fact, they haven't addressed the issue at all::shrug: Still, the fact that the first JoyCons are this faulty is inexcusable. 

We'll have to wait and see if the new batch doesn't suffer from drifting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Still can't believe Nintendo have the audacity to sell a product that's obviously faulty for 80 bucks.

That statement would make sense if Nintendo were aware of the fault to begin with, but they obviously weren't. It's something that happens over time.

33 minutes ago, drahkon said:

(in fact, they haven't addressed the issue at all)

You can send your joy con in for repair and they do it for free.

Edited by Ronnie

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

That statement would make sense if Nintendo were aware of the fault to begin with, but they obviously weren't. It's something that happens over time.

Then they don't have good QA? Of course, you can't find every fault but an issue this big?

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You can send your joy con in for repair and they do it for free.

Sure, but you have to cover the shipping costs and to be honest, if I had bought a pair of JoyCons for 80€ and then had to pay another 5€ for shipping to get them repaired I'd be pissed. These things are expensive as heck and I expect a fully functioning product for that price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Then they don't have good QA? Of course, you can't find every fault but an issue this big?

Sure, but you have to cover the shipping costs and to be honest, if I had bought a pair of JoyCons for 80€ and then had to pay another 5€ for shipping to get them repaired I'd be pissed. These things are expensive as heck and I expect a fully functioning product for that price.

Of course it's an issue, you buy a product and expect it to work. I was just saying they don't have the "audacity" to sell something faulty, because they weren't aware it was faulty. Unlike many publishers that release a game clearly broken, only to be fixed later. That is knowingly delivering a faulty product, and that's inexcusable.

This joy con thing (I haven't noticed it on mine) is a bad look but if they're repairing them then you'd think it'd been eradicated from recent models.

Something that only happens over time is extremely hard to find in QA, especially in tech as there is no government regulation that demands tech companies to address long-term issues. In the medical business, this is a demand which is why it takes so long for new medicine to get to the market - obviously. So yeah, it's naturally Nintendo's fault but you it's hard to blame them and the way they handled the issue in the first place is very nice - acknowledging the problem and fixing it for free is about the only thing they can do, and since they can repair it, I would be very surprised if newer batches of JoyCon also has the issue but I haven't searched for information about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Still can't believe Nintendo have the audacity to sell a product that's obviously faulty for 80 bucks. But they've been getting away with it quite nicely, so far ::shrug: The gaming press slowly starts to cover this a little more, though.

It's interesting that this has been brought up because just yesterday it was reported that a law firm in the US are preparing a class action lawsuit over the whole thing.

LINK

As you say, Nintendo really haven't come out and said much about the issues with the Joy-Cons and have just tried to keep it hush hush but if this lawsuit goes ahead then they will finally have to address the issue. It isn't a case of a few gamers here and there who have experienced this. Just look at the comments on Reddit, Nintendo Life Era or even in our small community here for people who have been effected by the design flaw/cheap parts. I say cheap parts because a Switch owner with an engineering background had a crack at trying to find out just what was causing this problem and came up with this.

LINK

It's crazy that this issue is still going on ( it appears to be still happening with new Joy-Cons). There's clearly a problem with the internal design and it really does need looking at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2