NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

£84 for two digital games? That’s even better value than I thought, assuming they were 60 digital to begin with. 

Only two Switch games are £59.99 RRP  (Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Smash Bros Ultimate).  The rest are either the standard full price of £49.99 or are budget priced titles (usually £39.99).

So the average saving would be £18; which is still pretty good!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Apparently the fix is also on the Xbox One. 

I wonder if they'll do this will FFIX as well? 

Fingers crossed they do!

content-4-35776-finalfantasyviibanner.jpg

Good news indeed on the Version 1.0.1 update. :D

Now it just needs a physical release. ;)

• Thanks 1

Tempted to try Final Fantasy VII for the first time now. By the time the remake is out, it'll feel like I played it back in 1997.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So you get gold coins (420) for buying the tickets... Do you still get the gold coins from buying the games?

51 minutes ago, Ike said:

So you get gold coins (420) for buying the tickets... Do you still get the gold coins from buying the games?

Doesn't seem like it, there is an FAQ about the game tickets up on the official US site and they make it very clear that you only get hold points for the purchase of the tickets, not when you redeem them on the games so I assume UK/EU is the same deal. 

I'm in the same boat as you with it really, would likely use it to pick up Animal Crossing but don't know what other game I'd buy. Could also be that Animal Crossing is £49.99 so wouldn't benefit from the same discount as the higher price titles, hopefully we find out the pricing of it before the end of this promotion.

• Sad 1

Saw this on The Gadget Show last week, Samsung's new portrait TV called The Sero:

C7HgxEb.jpg

The actual reason behind the design is dumb as hell (something about making it more like a phone display for Millennials :heh:) but it could potentially be pretty awesome for Swtich games that feature Tate mode. ;)

• Thanks 2

I think I'll stick with my NEC MultiSync EA234wmi in vertical orientation for Tate mode games. ;)

But I do agree that using the above Samsung display for Switch games would be a much better use than... whatever it was originally intended for which seems like a waste.

Also... I think my option was a little bit cheaper £200 or so versus... £1,500! :o

Good luck to them selling that, my current main TV is a Samsung, as weas the one before it but... it looks like they're chasing after a completely different market now.

Anyway, my Switch games look pretty good on both my displays, though I do need to start using that vertical monitor more for what I got it for, Ikaruga. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd like a rotatable display, but I can't justify the price, nor space required.

Having handheld mode for tate games is a godsend on Switch though! It's so fantastic that you can do it so easily and effortlessly! :D 

On that matter...

https://japanesenintendo.com/2019/05/20/esp-ra-de-announced-for-switch/

M2's ShotTriggers series is now coming to Switch!! Starting with ESP RA.DE! :D 

Digital, physical and deluxe versions have been announced!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, RedShell said:

Saw this on The Gadget Show last week, Samsung's new portrait TV called The Sero:

C7HgxEb.jpg

The real tragedy about this is that it could encourage more idiots to film videos in portrait mode.

Massive unnecessary side borders are a crime against humanity.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

The real tragedy about this is that it could encourage more idiots to film videos in portrait mode.

Oh man, can’t stand it when people do that. :shakehead

• Thanks 2

Arlo's latest video seems to have kicked the hornets nest over on Era. Funny just how many people like him when he says something positive about Nintendo but then completely change their tune when he says anything negative. :laughing:

I love his new voice. Gotta love the plucky Brit! Oh, and the Mary Berry part was hilarious. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Funny just how many people like him when he says something positive about Nintendo but then completely change their tune when he says anything negative. :laughing:

So par for the course for the Nintendo fandom :p 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Arlo's latest video seems to have kicked the hornets nest over on Era.

It doesn’t take much though does it? :heh: 

I haven’t visited that place in months now, and have no intention of ever doing so again. Absolute shithole of a forum. :laughing:

Anyway, I agree with the muppet :D no idea what’s going on inside Nintendo... ::shrug: Definitely expected much much more from them on the Switch.

It doesn’t have to be big titles either, just more frequent releases of smaller eShop stuff (like Tetris 99) would make a big difference. :blank: 

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

I haven’t visited that place in months now, and have no intention of ever doing so again. Absolute shithole of a forum. :laughing:

It really is. Horrible place.

Trouble is once you wade through the angry mob crusading and endless identity/SJW politics it's a good place to keep up with what's going on in the industry.

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Anyway, I agree with the muppet :D no idea what’s going on inside Nintendo... ::shrug: Definitely expected much much more from them on the Switch.

While I agree it's been slow so far, 2019 is still

- NSMBUDX
- Yoshi
- Mario Maker 2
- Link's Awakening
- Animal Crossing
- Luigi's Mansion 2
- Astral Chain
- Fire Emblem Three Houses
- Tetris 99
- Pokemon Sword/Shield
- Marvel Ultime Alliance

and whatever else E3 brings.

That's a crazy twelve months, given most of that is first party output, even if the bulk of it is in the second half of the year. They definitely need to try and balance releases out a bit more though that's for sure.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Trouble is once you wade through the angry mob crusading and endless identity/SJW politics it's a good place to keep up with what's going on in the industry.

- NSMBUDX
- Yoshi
- Mario Maker 2
- Link's Awakening
- Animal Crossing
- Luigi's Mansion 2
- Astral Chain
- Tetris 99
- Pokemon Sword/Shield
- Marvel Ultime Alliance

That's a crazy twelve months, given most of that is first party output, even if the bulk of it is in the second half of the year. They definitely need to try and balance releases out a bit more though that's for sure.

Yeah, I have high hopes for June and onwards.  Feels like the Switch is finally hitting its stride; much like how the 3DS did at the start of 2013 :) 

3DS too got off to a slow start, but it’s library ended up being amazing.  Let’s hope that it’s time for the Switch to follow in its footsteps now!

June and July are pretty packed for me. Will be picking up Dragon Quest Builders 2, Fire Emblem and Mario Maker 2.

53 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Can't be arsed dealing with any of that stuff at all though, so much so that I'd rather just not keep up with what's going on in the industry. :blank: Anything big that goes down (or rather, anything I'm especially interested in) like new game announcements, Nintendo Directs etc. will no doubt be posted here anyway, and I'm cool with finding out about something a bit later in order to retain my sanity. ;)

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

- NSMBUDX
- Yoshi
- Mario Maker 2
- Link's Awakening
- Animal Crossing
- Luigi's Mansion 2
- Astral Chain
- Tetris 99
- Pokemon Sword/Shield
- Marvel Ultime Alliance

It's fine for anyone that's into all/most of that list, sure. But my version looks more like this:

- Mario Maker 2
- Link's Awakening
- Animal Crossing
- Tetris 99

Although I'm quite likely to also get Astral Chain (need to see more of it though). Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokémon are a possibility too, but that still almost cuts the list in half. Plus, we can't actually be certain of some of those games making 2019... I really hope not, but Animal Crossing could easily be delayed to 2020. :shakehead

11 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Let’s hope that it’s time for the Switch to follow in its footsteps now!

Indeed. Several surprise announcements at E3 would be a good start. :hehe:

• Like 1

Oh and I forgot Labo VR, I dunno I think this could be one of Nintendo's strongest year's ever in terms of quantity (and hopefully quality).

For me, it's Link's Awakening, Luigis Mansion, Pokémon, and perhaps Astral Chain. And then there's all the indies. It's a busy enough year, I think. For me at least. 

17 hours ago, RedShell said:

15 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yup. Place is a dumpster fire of various politics and opinions being forced on you. You dare not say anything in case you end up offending someone. I tend to just use the place as a news outlet as it's usually where all the gaming news pops up first. 

It's funny, the place was set up after GAF fell and one of the things they pushed for is that every opinion is listened to and respected but that hasn't been the case for a while now. There is no grey area over there, everything is black or white and if you aren't on the side of those that run the place then you get crucified and/or banned, which is pretty much what happened to Ronnie.

14 hours ago, RedShell said:

Can't be arsed dealing with any of that stuff at all though, so much so that I'd rather just not keep up with what's going on in the industry. :blank: Anything big that goes down (or rather, anything I'm especially interested in) like new game announcements, Nintendo Directs etc. will no doubt be posted here anyway, and I'm cool with finding out about something a bit later in order to retain my sanity. ;)

Don't worry, i'll wade through the rubbish to bring you the news over here. :D 

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

There are other issues but I think that is one of the main ones. Having the back end of the year so loaded is just crazy. Ultimate Alliance and Fire Emblem are games that require a lot of time and yet both are releasing a week from each other. If Animal Crossing is to be released this year ( my guess would be a Sept/Oct release window ) I imagine that would put it close to Pokemon. Again, having those two potentially releasing close together is going to a bit rough.

I think the quality of some of Nintendo's titles is in question at the moment with the Switch. The titles seen as the lesser games, like Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi's Crafted World and Mario Tennis needed a little more care and attention and just didn't feel as good as previous entries, such as Triple Deluxe/Planet Robobot and Woolly World. Mario Tennis was the worst offender out of these games, with the game launching in a bare bones state and needing constant updates to actually make it worth putting down the money. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was a bit like this. There was no denying that it was rushed out of the door for the Christmas period. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all of these games apart from Mario Tennis but it just felt like something was missing from a couple of them and I can't put my finger on what that thing is.

16 hours ago, Dcubed said:

3DS too got off to a slow start, but it’s library ended up being amazing.  Let’s hope that it’s time for the Switch to follow in its footsteps now!

Thing is, 3DS was far easier, cheaper and quicker to develop for. I do think some of the teams within Nintendo are still struggling with developing for a HD console. It's easy to forget that a lot of the teams within the company are quite small in comparison to other publishers and most of them would have been used to just working on 2D games and/or 3DS titles. Something like BOTW must have been a massive undertaking for the company compared to what they are used to creating. In the future I think we will be seeing more collaborations with other companies using Nintendo's IP. It makes sense for this to happen to help bolster the library. Plus, it could help give fresh ideas and perspectives to Nintendo's franchises. Mario & Rabbids is one of my favourite games this generation and I would love to see more things like that.

At the end of the day, Nintendo do put out a lot of titles and probably publish more games than any other publisher but, at least for me, there just seems to be something missing with their Switch line up. Stuff like Bayonetta 1 and 2, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Pokken Tournament, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze are great games but they are games that I have already experienced before and if the newer titles, such as Kirby, Yoshi, Mario Tennis aren't filling in gaps well enough in between the tentpole releases then it's understandable why people think the system is lacking. Sure, there are plenty of games to be played on the eShop but many gamers have multiple machines and have played these games elsewhere. This leaves the Switch as a Nintendo exclusive machine and if that is the case, I can see why many aren't happy with the spread of titles. 

I do think that last point is pretty much why we are seeing arguments crop up whenever this topic is raised. On one side you have gamers who don't have as much time as others and use the Switch as their main source of gaming entertainment. For them the Switch is ideal because they get to experience games they may have missed out on from years gone by and the games that Nintendo do release last them a long time due to how little time they have because of other commitments. On the other side you have gamers who have more time to put into the hobby than others do and have multiple consoles to play the games on. If the portability of the Switch isn't a big selling point to them then I imagine a lot of the games that do get released and that they are interested in have been played elsewhere before, which is why they are looking for the newer Nintendo experiences.

I've waffled on enough but I will end by saying that game development is more costly than ever and takes more time, especially when high end graphics and open worlds are constantly being pushed. Developers are having to work crazy hours to meet demands of gamers and while Nintendo could crack the whip at their staff, i'd rather they give them time to breathe and be allowed to create. We often forget that Nintendo aren't some MASSIVE gaming studio. Sure, they are big but when you compare them to someone like Ubisoft and EA, publlishers who have studios working on games all around the world, they are quite a small player. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4