NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

They might just not have a focus this time around and promote Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing (both reconfirmed for 2019 this morning), Pokemon, Zelda and Mario Maker equally. Plus whatever surprises they have.

28 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It'll be Animal Crossing.  It's easily gonna be their biggest game this year (and it's their biggest IP that has yet to hit Switch).

giphy.gif

:grin:

• Haha 1

Guess I completely overestimated what a good January - April was in terms of sales numbers, not even 17 million! Nintendo are definitely on their way out.

I'm with Ronnie, I think their E3 will be more of a traditional booth this time. Split mostly between Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion. Weird that they've announced a public beta for MK Tour but still haven't shown us a single video or screenshot, not long for us to wait before we see what it looks like at least. 

Biggest takeaway from these figures for me is that Let's Go only sold 600k between January and April, absolutely insane drop off. Mario Party is surprisingly strong too. And news sites seem to be reporting Labo Variety Kit passing 1 million as a disappointment? 1 million is really impressive for Labo to me. 

EDIT:

Atlus just revealed Persona 5S for Switch - a brand new Persona themed musou game. The dampest squib in history.

Edited by killthenet

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

Biggest takeaway from these figures for me is that Let's Go only sold 600k between January and April, absolutely insane drop off. 

As much as I'd love to dunk on Let's GO, I'm gonna point out that this is totally normal for Pokémon games. There's nothing weird here.

• Thanks 1

Interesting... Looks like Boxboy+Boxgirl was made in Unity!

OGm573i.jpg

It's not obvious from this picture, but that is indeed Boxboy+Boxgirl's copyright screen

This is the first time HAL have ever used an outside engine AFAIK! That makes this only the second time a Nintendo affiliated studio has used an outside game engine! (excluding NST with Snipperclips; which is an internal studio).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's interesting, I didn't think Unity was that good an engine for 2D games so it seems an odd choice but its good to see devs branching out and experimenting with different engines. 

I bought Boxboy+Boxgirl for pre-purchase (the first game I've ever done that for) but I've been busy with other things so haven't touched it yet, definitely first on my list to play when I do get round to gaming again though!

So apparently I maxed my wishlist. :blank:

Edited by Sméagol

7 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

So apparently I maxed my wishlist. :blank:

Wow! :o 

How many titles to do that then? 

7 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Wow! :o 

How many titles to do that then? 

I've removed a few now, some titles I have already bought in the meantime. I use the wishlist as an overview of titles I find even remotely interesting for one reason or another, and I add more to it than I actually buy. I also like to check it occasionally for game on sale.

• Thanks 2

I decided that the switch needs Pokémon Let's Go Stadium because I saw Pokémon Stadium in CEX but felt that buying it, a N64, a Gameboy and the original game would be a bit much. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I decided that the switch needs Pokémon Let's Go Stadium because I saw Pokémon Stadium in CEX but felt that buying it, a N64, a Gameboy and the original game would be a bit much. 

Totally worth for the mini games alone, especially the Lickitung one. 

I played the hell out of the original Stadium game but the sequel never really grabbed me the same way. Saying that, the same goes for the mainline Pokemon games. Red/Blue/Yellow I put a crazy amount of time into but Pokemon Gold/Silver I finished and then never really went back to. I suppose that would explain the lack of attention I gave Stadium 2.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Totally worth for the mini games alone, especially the Lickitung one. 

I played the hell out of the original Stadium game but the sequel never really grabbed me the same way. Saying that, the same goes for the mainline Pokemon games. Red/Blue/Yellow I put a crazy amount of time into but Pokemon Gold/Silver I finished and then never really went back to. I suppose that would explain the lack of attention I gave Stadium 2.

£100 for a few hours of enjoyment is usually what I charge, not what I pay. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

£100 for a few hours of enjoyment is usually what I charge, not what I pay. 

That's pocket change compared to getting a 4-player Crystal Chronicles game going.

i-JpfZqn4.jpg

• Haha 4

My copies of Victor Vran and NBA Playgrounds 2 have finally arrived. VV looks good for now, I have yet to try NBA PG2, and now is probably the time to get the online subscription.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Switch has now outsold the PS4 in Japan. No surprise really. In Japan if you aren't portable then...

Your Are Already Dead Meme - omae wa mou shindeiru

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Still a huge accomplishment given it's been on sale less than half the time, and that's without any kind of price drop, revision or big sellers like Animal Crossing or Pokemon Sword/Shield.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Still a huge accomplishment given it's been on sale less than half the time, and that's without any kind of price drop, revision or big sellers like Animal Crossing or Pokemon Sword/Shield.

If it was any other country, sure. But the handheld console is king in Japan. And far as consoles go, Switch has no competition from handhelds. And there were quite a few big sellers. Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, Smash, Zelda.

• Like 1

The new NSO Vouchers offer is nice.  I'm defintely gonna be taking advantage of that :) 

I get that Japan likes mobile gaming. I truly do. It’s still a decent achievement.

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The new NSO Vouchers offer is nice.  I'm defintely gonna be taking advantage of that :) 

What’s up with having titles that cost £39.99 in the list though, what the hell, Nintendo?! :heh: 

Good for anyone who hasn’t bought Zelda and Smash yet though, as you’re getting a pretty decent discount there. And not bad for the games priced at £49.99 either.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RedShell said:

What’s up with having titles that cost £39.99 in the list though, what the hell, Nintendo?! :heh: 

Good for anyone who hasn’t bought Zelda and Smash yet though, as you’re getting a pretty decent discount there. And not bad for the games priced at £49.99 either.

Handy for getting games like Mario Maker 2 and Animal Crossing, games that are suited to digital downloads, and saving £20 in the process.

• Like 1

I'd use it for Animal Crossing, but I don't know what second game I would get.

You will also gets the full gold coins value which is a nice bonus.