NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I think as far as the 'Switch Pro' is concerned the bezel on the current Switch screen is enormous so there's scope for them to increase the size of the display without increasing the size of the systems footprint. I think they'll increase the size of the screen a bit and improve the resolution, then include a slightly higher capacity battery and probably 64gb of built in storage. It would be great if they beef up the specs of the processor at all but unless they switch to a Tegra X2 then I can't see there being a significant performance bump, although there would have to be some improvement to take advantage of the higher resolution screen.

The 'Switch Lite' is a weird one, I don't see how they can reduce the footprint of the machine without cutting compatibility for current joy cons and accessories but I don't really see what improvements they can make in slimming down the current model and keeping compatibility apart from making it a bit narrower. I imagine if it is significantly smaller they'll include a new smaller dock with every unit so the system can still function in docked mode. 

It's entirely possible that they could release some sort of caddy that the new smaller Switch can slot into that makes it wide enough to sit comfortably in the dock and tall enough that current Joy cons can connect to it. That seems a very Nintendo solution to me.

Edited by killthenet
  • Thanks 1

On 25/03/2019 at 2:51 PM, Dcubed said:

They're not aimed at the same target market, so that really doesn't matter.  Switch Lite would be aimed at kids/parents, who are jostling for the likes of Pokemon Sword/Shield; while Switch Pro is aimed at enthusiasts and the existing Switch userbase.

Don't think it's quite as straightforward as that. I'm part of the existing Switch userbase (and somewhat of an enthusiast I suppose :heh:) but reckon I'd be more interested in a Switch Lite, than a Pro. Man, who am I kidding, it'd be a bloody nightmare as I'd want both! :laughing: But my point is, I don't really consider the current Switch to be a portable system, it's just way too big! So yeah, if the level of miniaturisation I'm imagining was technically possible (very much doubt it :hehe:) I would actually like a Switch that's similar in size to a Game Boy Micro or iPhone SE, something like...

MdsYH40.jpg

I think my "calculations" were correct and the above is all to scale, but it might not be. ;) 

Basically a mini version of Switch that can easily fit inside a normal sized trouser pocket. Would love that so much. :love:

Yes, it'd be super fiddly to use. And sure, it'd be difficult to make out the odd bit of text in certain games. But I'd gladly accept those issues in order to have a truly portable Switch! :cool:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Don't think it's quite as straightforward as that. I'm part of the existing Switch userbase (and somewhat of an enthusiast I suppose :heh:) but reckon I'd be more interested in a Switch Lite, than a Pro. Man, who am I kidding, it'd be a bloody nightmare as I'd want both! :laughing: But my point is, I don't really consider the current Switch to be a portable system, it's just way too big! So yeah, if the level of miniaturisation I'm imagining was technically possible (very much doubt it :hehe:) I would actually like a Switch that's similar in size to a Game Boy Micro or iPhone SE, something like...

MdsYH40.jpg

I think my "calculations" were correct and the above is all to scale, but it might not be. ;) 

Basically a mini version of Switch that can easily fit inside a normal sized trouser pocket. Would love that so much. :love:

Yes, it'd be super fiddly to use. And sure, it'd be difficult to make out the odd bit of text in certain games. But I'd gladly accept those issues in order to have a truly portable Switch! :cool:

Oh no, I completely agree with you! Hell, that's the main reason why I mostly carry my 3DS out and about with me instead of my Switch!

I'd absolutely love a Switch that I can actually fit in my pocket!!  Just being able to throw my Switch in my pocket instead of needing a carry case for the console, that you then need to chuck into a bag as well, would be absolutely killer! :D 

If they could make a Switch Lite that was of a similar size to the original GBA (or even the Vita), that would be amazing and I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

Though I'd probably buy a Switch Pro as well... someone help me!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedShell said:

MdsYH40.jpg

That's pretty much how I feel. I don't think I've ever taken the Switch out of the house. It's far too big to carry around, not to mention expensive.

I think if they can shrink it down to the size of a Vita then they'll be on to a winner.

• Like 1

I'll take a smaller Switch over the current model any day. But it has to be usable as a controller for other Switches.

• Confused 1

Maybe they make the portable one a clamshell again, buttons on the bottom part, making it a lot less wide. So basically, a Nintendo Switch SP.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Maybe they make the portable one a clamshell again, buttons on the bottom part, making it a lot less wide. So basically, a Nintendo Switch SP.

I think this is a good call. Especially if they keep the USB-C port in the bottom of the device as then it could feasibly fit in the dock. Just reduce the dimensions so you can JUST slide it out and you’ve instantly got something that can fit in your pocket and function as the regular Switch does now.

Great mock-up as usual @RedShell, I'm not sure Nintendo would minuturise that much but who knows :confused:

As a side note, I wish Apple would make another SE sized phone, I'm still rocking mine and I absolutely love it. Giant modern phones can F off.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Ronnie said:

Great mock-up as usual @RedShell, I'm not sure Nintendo would minuturise that much but who knows :confused:

As a side note, I wish Apple would make another SE sized phone, I'm still rocking mine and I absolutely love it. Giant modern phones can F off.

I'm still rocking mine too!  I was holding out hope that we'd get a new one announced yesterday...

... instead we got a credit card :blank:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 1

I do like this idea! Never considered copying the SP approach!

Would certainly be unexpected... and a great way of protecting the sticks that protrude from the unit to stop them from potentially snapping off in your pocket!

32 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

I think this is a good call. Especially if they keep the USB-C port in the bottom of the device as then it could feasibly fit in the dock. Just reduce the dimensions so you can JUST slide it out and you’ve instantly got something that can fit in your pocket and function as the regular Switch does now.

Or you could just pop it in upside down... like you do with the current New3DS and its own charging dock!

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, Dcubed said:

I'm still rocking mine too!  I was holding out hope that we'd get a new one announced yesterday...

It's beautiful design. Lays flat. Usable with one hand. Perfection.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It's beautiful design. Lays flat. Usable with one hand. Perfection.

I honestly don't understand the point of a smartphone that you can't use with one hand.  Unless everyone suddenly grew salad fingers, what's the point? Phones are supposed to be small and pocketable :blank:

• Like 1

@Ronnie & @Dcubed, another iPhone SE owner/fan right here. :) Fantastic device! I also don’t understand the appeal of these gigantic tablet-esque mobiles. ::shrug: 

39 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

... instead we got a credit card :blank:

“Woo!” *fake applause* :laughing: That presentation was atrocious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

“Woo!” *fake applause* :laughing: That presentation was atrocious. 

It was pathetic. Felt like the crowd were being paid per clap. You couldn't go 7 seconds without those morons whooping and clapping like mad.

Nice to see another SE fan/owner, I've always felt like I was the only one :cry:

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

- Not a big leap technologically. Think 3DS > New 3DS rather than PS4 > PS4 Pro.

I’m ok with this. Seen people banding about 64gb and 4K output. Ridiculous. 8gb of RAM also seems a little far-fetched, but not outside the realms of possibility. The most likely out of the 3 and would offer the most benefit in terms of cost to performance ratio.

64gb of on-board flash memory, on the other hand? No. Not when everyone and their mum can buy a 64gb micro SD card for, what, under a tenner? Nintendo loves profit margins, not going to happen. This is Nintendo. 2gb 3DS card waves hello. 

4K is absurd when the two biggest flagship games don’t even run at 1080p (Zelda and Odyssey). I think aiming for 1080p60 for most in-house games and even 720/900p with a stable 30 or 60fps and a mild visual update for games like Xenoblade, Doom and Wolfenstein is a much better thing to aim at and certainly much more achievable at an acceptable price point. Fortnite, for example, running at 30fps is not cool, so get that up to 60 before thinking about 4K.

Like with the Wii era and HD, 4K not in anywhere near as many homes as necessary for them to go for this now. Those” hardcore” gamers already have a PC, Xbox 1X or PS4 pro. Would I like to see BOTW in 4K? Hell yeah! But not at a $500+ price point. Plus I’d have to upgrade my TV, which I don’t want to do because I don’t have any 4K content to watch on it bar the odd YouTube stuff. Definitely worth waiting a couple of years or so until the tech becomes cheaper.

It seems Nintendo implementing dynamic resolution in most of their big stuff will really help with achieving better stability (so stable - .1 increment update incoming). At a lower price point than the competition, while still offering rez bumps and better frame rates I’d be all over this, anything too pricey and I’d skip it, don’t see the immediate benefit of it at the current moment.

So, if I could replace my already starting to crack Switch with something more sturdy, better designed and with the added benefit of an overall smoother (a stabler, yes stabler) experience, shut up and take my money.

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-26-two-new-nintendo-switch-similar-to-2ds-new-3ds-xl-sources-say

TLDR:

Switch mini:

- Similar market to the 2DS, sturdier build, more kid friendly
- Handheld mode only?

Pro:

- Not a big leap technologically. Think 3DS > New 3DS rather than PS4 > PS4 Pro.

That's not what the article says...

It says that the Switch Pro won't be as powerful as the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One X, which is not only a big DUH! but is also just a straight parroting of the WSJ article.

In fact, that Eurogamer article says nothing new that the WSJ one didn't. ::shrug:

7 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

I’m ok with this. Seen people banding about 64gb and 4K output. Ridiculous. 8gb of RAM also seems a little far-fetched, but not outside the realms of possibility. The most likely out of the 3 and would offer the most benefit in terms of cost to performance ratio.

64gb of on-board flash memory, on the other hand? No. Not when everyone and their mum can buy a 64gb micro SD card for, what, under a tenner? Nintendo loves profit margins, not going to happen. This is Nintendo. 2gb 3DS card waves hello. 

4K is absurd when the two biggest flagship games don’t even run at 1080p (Zelda and Odyssey). I think aiming for 1080p60 for most in-house games and even 720/900p with a stable 30 or 60fps and a mild visual update for games like Xenoblade, Doom and Wolfenstein is a much better thing to aim at and certainly much more achievable at an acceptable price point. Fortnite, for example, running at 30fps is not cool, so get that up to 60 before thinking about 4K.

Like with the Wii era and HD, 4K not in anywhere near as many homes as necessary for them to go for this now. Those” hardcore” gamers already have a PC, Xbox 1X or PS4 pro. Would I like to see BOTW in 4K? Hell yeah! But not at a $500+ price point. Plus I’d have to upgrade my TV, which I don’t want to do because I don’t have any 4K content to watch on it bar the odd YouTube stuff. Definitely worth waiting a couple of years or so until the tech becomes cheaper.

It seems Nintendo implementing dynamic resolution in most of their big stuff will really help with achieving better stability (so stable - .1 increment update incoming). At a lower price point than the competition, while still offering rez bumps and better frame rates I’d be all over this, anything too pricey and I’d skip it, don’t see the immediate benefit of it at the current moment.

So, if I could replace my already starting to crack Switch with something more sturdy, better designed and with the added benefit of an overall smoother (a stabler, yes stabler) experience, shut up and take my money.

8GB of RAM is not far fetched at all.  We already have phones that have 8GB of RAM now and the standard Tegra X2 uses 8GB of RAM.  It's probably the most obvious upgrade that's coming our way.

I do agree that 4K resolution is a stretch too far in most cases.  I'd much rather see games aim for a consistent 1080p/60FPS first, but for the Switch games that already run at a consistent 1080p/60FPS? Resolutions above 1080p are very achieveable and a fair few might actually even hit native 4K (like Smash Bros Ultimate and most of the Wii U ports).

Edited by Dcubed

11 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

That's not what the article says...

It says that the Switch Pro won't be as powerful as the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One X, which is not only a big DUH! but is also just a straight parroting of the WSJ article.

It's exactly what the article says. :p From the article:

As for the new souped-up Switch, the one for "avid videogamers", yesterday's report mentioned it would not be getting beefed up to the specs of either the PlayStation 4 Pro or Xbox One X - which shouldn't come as much of a surprise. I've heard the bump will be comparable to the one received by the 3DS upon its New 3DS relaunch. And, finally, there's no suggestion this model might remove the TV screen docking.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

It's exactly what the article says. :p From the article:

Thanks, saves me the trouble of correcting @Dcubed :laughing:

As for technical side of things, I think it's worth remembering this is Nintendo we're talking about, their whole strategy is to get the most out of modest means. We won't be seeing anything like 4K on this minor spec update, imo. Of far more importance atm is to limit the amount of times variable resolution kicks in. ie Mario Odyssey dropping to less than 720p handheld or Wolfenstein dropping to 400p or whatever crazy res it can go down to. If they can tidy up performance in that area that'd be great.

Edited by Ronnie

Urgh, similar to 2DS? :( 

I hated the feel of that thing. Too bulky, too sturdy, too urgh... 

The 2DS is almost as ugly as the original DS, but I assume they mean similar in concept/intent rather than design. Hopefully...

29 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The 2DS is almost as ugly as the original DS, but I assume they mean similar in concept/intent rather than design. Hopefully...

The Switch is a lovely looking bit of kit though I'm sure you'll agree, so hopefully their next iteration is even better

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The Switch is a lovely looking bit of kit though I'm sure you'll agree, so hopefully their next iteration is even better

It's a hell of a step up for sure. 

Hopefully if there is another version they'll fix the dock though. It's so flimsy and I'm always worried when I take the console in or out of it. 

• Thanks 1

Urgh, similar to 2DS?  
I hated the feel of that thing. Too bulky, too sturdy, too urgh... 
It made an excellent wedge to hold a door open though, so there's that.
  • Haha 5

An interesting look at the realistic possibilities for a slightly enhanced Switch revision by using the hardware exploit to run the SOC overclocked. With Wolfenstein & Doom even a slight bump to the CPU smooths out the framerate but resolution seems to be capped in engine so would take a patch for any improvements in docked mode, but better power efficiency would see the handheld experience greatly improved with no patch required. It's interesting to see how poorly optimised some games are, WWE 2k18 and Ark are notorious for their poor performance but MVG shows that even an overclock doesn't help smooth anything out.