NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

On 2/22/2019 at 10:16 PM, Glen-i said:

I'm suddenly getting flashbacks to Pokémon Stars...

This feels a bit like Star Fox Grand Prix, I'll believe it when I see it...

Time for an update.
(Initially I wanted to limit it to titles interesting to me personally to various extent, then I decided to include more stuff, but including all of it is a chore. I did highlight all the stuff I'm more or less interested in.)

February
26-02 Trials Rising
28-02 DELTARUNE Chapter 1

March
12-03 Claybook
13-03 Baba Is You
15-03 The Caligula Effect Overdose
20-03 Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY!
22-03 Unravel two
22-03 Fate/Extella Link
26-03 FINAL FANTASY VII
26-03 Dragon: Marked for Death (physical)
26-03 The Walking Dead The Final Season
29-03 Yoshi's Crafted World
29-03 Nelke & The Legendary Alchemists
29-03 The Princess Guide

April
02-04 Darksiders Warmastered Edition
05-04 SUPER DRAGON BALL HEROES WORLD MISSION
09-04 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
12-04 Neo Atlas 1469
16-04 FINAL FANTASY X | X-2 hd REMASTER
17-04 Trüberbrook (19-04 physical)
23-04 Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen
26-04 BOXBOY! + BOXGIRL!
30-04 FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE

May
17-05 Mortal Kombat 11
17-05 Guilty Gear 20th Anniversary Pack
21-05 Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered
21-05 Resident Evil Zero
21-05 Resident Evil HD
21-05 Resident Evil 4
21-05 Team Sonic Racing
31-05 Lapis X Labyrinth

Spring
Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice
World End Syndrome
My time at Portia
VA-11 HALL-A

June
21-06 Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
Super Mario Maker 2

July
12-07 Dragon Quest Builders 2
26-07 Fire Emblem: Three Houses

August
30-08 Astral Chain

Summer
Bloodstained: Rituals of the night
Daemon X Machina
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Oninaki

September

October

November

Autumn
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of  an elusive age - Definitive edition
Dead by daylight 
Destiny Connect

December

The legend of Zelda: Link's awakening
RPG Maker MV
Rune Factory 4 Special
Luigi's Mansion 3
Animal Crossing
Town
Disney Tsum Tsum Festival
Pokémon Sword / Pokémon Shield
Untitled Goose Game

Edit: Last edit: 11-03-2018

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Julius said:

@Sméagol, I think you might have missed a pretty small indie game out? 

Oh crap, how could I forget Untitled Goose Game. I added it to the list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Anyone know any good USB extenders/USB hubs I can use to extend the cable a bit so it can actually reach my Switch? My couch is a bit too far away. And would there be any adverse affects in doing so?

And throughout those two years, Nintendo's own first party lineup has gotten off to a remarkably slow start (if you count Smash Ultimate and Mario Tennis Aces as Wii U ports; there are actually just as many Wii U ports as there are Switch exclusive titles - and that is counting the Labo titles individually, instead of lumping them together).

While the 3rd party lineup is still not where it needs to be, it has been a rather remarkable turnaround from the Wii U (and even 3DS) days! Nobody could've imagined that we would've seen the likes of DOOM, Civilisation 6 and Diablo 3 hit the platform, but here we are! The indie game support is second to none as well!  While it still isn't getting most new games day and date like it should be, and there are still some significant outliers on the platform (I'm looking at you Capcom!), it's a huge improvement over the past generation, and even the Wii! We're still far from a healthy ecosystem as far as retail games go (digital is fantastic though!), but it has still blown my expectations away nonetheless!

As far as Nintendo's first party lineup goes? So far it has really reminded me of the first two years of the 3DS' life.  Very slow, lacking in original first party releases and largely overshadowed by its predecessor during those first two years...

... but this year is looking to be enormously promising (past the absolutely dismal first half of the year!).  If indeed 2019 does pan out as it looks like it will, we might be looking at a repeat of the 3DS' 2013 lineup once we get to the release of Super Mario Maker 2! If that does happen, and this is indeed the inflection point that I've really been waiting for, I'm gonna be one very happy little Nintendroid! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

Even though it's only been two years, the Switch is already my favourite console of all time.

I have 6 games over 100 hours, I don't think I've EVER played a game for 100 hours before, Animal Crossing: New Leaf comes close at 97.

Smash will no doubt be the 7th soon. 

What a fantastic system, so many good first party releases, including incredible Zelda and Mario games, Splatoon 2. For me though, it's the indies that have really shone. Currently going through Hollow Knight and having an absolute blast, I've played Rocket League for almost a whole month :eek: 650 hours... 

Long may it continue.

• Like 4

The Switch is probably my favourite platform so far - versatile, well-supported and non-gimmicky.  I've played more 100+ hour games on DS and 3DS, but that's just because they had Dragon Quest IX (900 hours on that one!), Animal Crossing and Etrian Odyssey, not to mention an incredible battery life.  And sure, the PS2 and GameCube had games I loved more, but I'm always hopeful they'll be surpassed.  The Switch is set up so that it could be better than anything before, and that's what I appreciate about it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Grazza said:

The Switch is probably my favourite platform so far - versatile, well-supported and non-gimmicky.  I've played more 100+ hour games on DS and 3DS, but that's just because they had Dragon Quest IX (900 hours on that one!), Animal Crossing and Etrian Odyssey, not to mention an incredible battery life.  And sure, the PS2 and GameCube had games I loved more, but I'm always hopeful they'll be surpassed.  The Switch is set up so that it could be better than anything before, and that's what I appreciate about it.

See, that's how I feel.  I love the hardware, but I don't love the software lineup... yet...

This year looks like it'll be the point where Nintendo's first party lineup finally really starts taking off though (after the release of Super Mario Maker 2 in June).  Let's hope that's the case!

Edited by Dcubed

49 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

See, that's how I feel.  I love the hardware, but I don't love the software lineup... yet...

This year looks like it'll be the point where Nintendo's first party lineup finally really starts taking off though (after the release of Super Mario Maker 2 in June).  Let's hope that's the case!

True, although we've already had many of their biggest series.  My hope is that Switch is now firmly established as Nintendo's "platform", and it gets built upon with a more powerful successor (not that I feel we need it right now).  The best games might turn out to be Majora's Mask-like sequels to the software Nintendo has already created.

The other thing is that it may receive a more handheld-like hardware revision and start to attract more handheld-specific games that would have gone to the 3DS a year or two ago.  I certainly want somewhere to play my Atlus RPGs!

I was also thinking this morning how good it would be for Nintendo to port their Zelda remasters - Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess - onto their new system.  Either way, I'm really looking forward to Dragon Quest XI and Animal Crossing, so there's still time for the Switch to become an absolute classic.

• Like 1

It really doesn't feel like two years, it's gone by really quickly IMO.

On another note, some mildly interesting stats:

• Thanks 1

content-4-35719-nintendoswitchtwoyears.jpg

I guess those two years went by just like that... *clicks fingers Switch style* ;)

Well, I decided to write a last minute article to celebrate.

Its got some game numbers, some choice picks of games, a couple of memories and some hopes for the future.

I wouldn't say that it's the most focused article but I had fun writing it and I couldn't let the Switch's second birthday pass by.

:peace:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Another winner:

Vita gameplay, but announced for Switch.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Weird 3

They should get Miyamoto to renegotiate and have that made into a new Chibi-Robo game. :heh: 

Edited by RedShell
  • Haha 1

For those who are wanting to upgrade their storage space, Amazon UK are selling 400GB SD cards for £55 until midnight tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m bored of my Switch.

I don’t even play it on the commute that much anymore.

There are not enough games that interest me. In @Sméagol‘s list above, the only titles that I think I’ll definitely get are Astral Chain & Zelda.

1 hour ago, Kav said:

I’m bored of my Switch.

There are not enough games that interest me. In @Sméagol‘s list above, the only titles that I think I’ll definitely get are Astral Chain & Zelda.

There's like 80 games on that list! :eek: What genres of games are you interested in?

What about eShop/indies?

1 hour ago, Kav said:

I’m bored of my Switch.

Serious question: What games do you want on the Switch that would appeal to you?

An issue with the Switch is that if you have little interest in indie games or have played them before elsewhere, then you are going to be waiting a long time between the big Nintendo releases but from the sounds of it some of the Nintendo releases hold no interest for you either. You aren't going to get the big blockbuster 3rd party games that the other consoles are getting, at least without some big compromises.

Despite the Switch selling really well, the big 3rd parties have still yet to jump on board in a meaningful fashion and I don't think they ever will. A lot of the games that Switch owners are getting from them are ports of older games. The Wii was under powered compared to the competition but it forced 3rd parties to adapt and create unique experiences. Stuff like Eledees, Zack and Wiki, A Boy and his Blob, Little King's Story, House of the Dead were great and added to the library in a meaningful way. This really hasn't happened with the Switch. The sales are there but most 3rd parties just don't seem interested in developing for it.

• Like 1

Looking at that list there are about 4 games I plan to get. Maybe 1 or 2 more but they’ll be for other systems.

@Ronnie @Hero-of-Time I’m hoping for a few more 3rd Party games, not necessarily all but just a few more, I’ll get Doom II when it comes out for example.

Metroid being delayed is a big bummer, I was so looking forward to that.

I hoped Nintendo themselves would look to put out some more games that aren’t just their usual type (platformers, lots of platformers)... games like The Last Story & Pandora’s Tower.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was so good, I’d like more meaty single-player games from them.

• Like 1

Just now, Kav said:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was so good, I’d like more meaty single-player games from them.

Have you played Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna yet? It's obviously not as long as the main game but you can get a good 20-30 hours from it. Tales of Vesperia is another JRPG that isn't turn based and will offer a substantial amount of game time for your money.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Have you played Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna yet? It's obviously not as long as the main game but you can get a good 20-30 hours from it. Tales of Vesperia is another JRPG that isn't turn based and will offer a substantial amount of game time for your money.

Yeah, really enjoyed it. I’ll have to check out Tales, nice one.

Hi, I need help again? I want to get Just Dance for my daughter, but how does it work?

How many songs do you get and are they there for unlimited time or is there a plan like with the app?

I wanna know if it makes sense to buy physical, which maybe I can sell on later, or do I just get it from the eshop if the physical copy will lose value anyway?

Thx.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Kounan said:

Hi, I need help again? I want to get Just Dance for my daughter, but how does it work?

How many songs do you get and are they there for unlimited time or is there a plan like with the app?

I wanna know if it makes sense to buy physical, which maybe I can sell on later, or do I just get it from the eshop if the physical copy will lose value anyway?

Thx.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Just Dance games work roughly the same regardless of the system being played, that is you copy (mirror) the movement of the on screen dancer/s on screen as the song is being played. For the Switch version you hold the joycon in your right hand and move to the moment of the dancer. So I don't have this game but I found out there are over 40 songs for Just Dance 2019 but more songs if you use Just Dance Unlimited online service. If you buy the game brand new then it should come with a month free trial of Just Dance Unlimited.

Normally the e-shop version will hold it's price more than the physical version over time. On a side note the previous game, Just Dance 2018 on the Switch is currently £19.99 via amazon.co.uk

I recommend having a quick look on YouTube about reviews of the game and then you decide.

This is for the US version but worth a look - https://www.imore.com/everything-you-need-know-about-just-dance-2019-nintendo-switch

Also - https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/game/just-dance-2019/

Edited by sumo73