NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Here's an interesting quote from the investor briefing.

The current market environment for smart device applications is showing signs of maturity, and the competition is becoming even fiercer. Also, it’s becoming difficult to create different game experiences on different devices. And, with the pervasiveness of smart devices, the gaming population has expanded rapidly beyond the reach of Nintendo's dedicated video game products. We will continue to propose products that are not limited by the definition of “game,” and that bring entertainment to various consumers regardless of region, gender, or age. However, the term of “gaming population expansion” itself does not fit in the current situation.

I wonder if Labo burnt them so hard that they've had to rethink how they do things? It looks like the way Iwata wanted things is no longer on the cards now or at least not as important.

Saw an article on Facebook where they speculated a Zelda sequel based on a "3D terrain" job posting, to be released this year. Probably bollocks though.

4 hours ago, bob said:

I absolutely agree that it made sense for them to make a hybrid, but given that they presumably will only make a single device, how many of them would they need to sell in order to validate the decision?

If they outsell the PS4, that's great, but how many home console + handhelds would they have sold had they continued down the separate devices route?

Obviously it's hard to say, as we don't fully know how the mobile market would affect the handheld today, but even if both Home Console and Handheld underperformed, mightn't they have hit more than 32 million together? Who knows!

Selling 32 million in one product makes them more money than selling a combined 32 million of two products.

I must admit that I'm stunned by the sales of Switch and PS4. Compared to where Japanese gaming was a few years ago, I'm delighted to see that Nintendo especially have taken some major strategic decisions that have almost resurrected them.

Best of all, their renaissance looks like it's sustainable and isn't based off of a gimmick. A Switch revision to coincide with Animal Crossing and Pokemon, followed by a likely 'Pro' Switch next year (possibly with another Zelda/Mario) should easily maintain momentum.   I really look forward to see what they can do software wise for the next 18-24 months.

On another note, I've just seen that Sony has made more money over the last 12 months from PSN alone that the entirity of Nintendo's software division. I think this really does show that Nintendo's approach to it's online offering and no longer offering VC is a great idea, even if it's lacking a bit of content atm.

Edit. Also, it looks as though Monolith are continuing to grow at quite an impressive right. Their site claims that they now have 193 developers, which is about 80 more compared to when they were developing Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Hopefully we can start seeing a big RPG from them every couple of years.

Edited by Goron_3
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I must admit that I'm stunned by the sales of Switch and PS4.

Yup. It's a great time to be a gamer. The hobby seems to be really thriving.

18 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

On another note, I've just seen that Sony has made more money over the last 12 months from PSN alone that the entirity of Nintendo's software division. I think this really does show that Nintendo's approach to it's online offering and no longer offering VC is a great idea, even if it's lacking a bit of content atm

PS+ subscriptions, PS+ discounts, weekly sales, flash sales, DLC and strong 3rd party support all add up to these numbers we are seeing.

DyTULz1X4AEK71x.jpg:large

Nintendo have a LONG way to go to reach these kinds of numbers and what they offer at the moment isn't enough to compete. I doubt they will ever be able to reach what we are seeing from Sony because they don't have the main 3rd parties on board. Games like FIFA ( sure it's on the console but it's a gimped version), Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Overwatch and Red Dead Redemption all have microtransations and lootboxes which bring in a very sizeable amount of revenue for all the companies involved. If Nintendo doesn't have these kinds of big hitters on their console then they will struggle to make a killing on their online network.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goron_3 said:

Best of all, their renaissance looks like it's sustainable and isn't based off of a gimmick. A Switch revision to coincide with Animal Crossing and Pokemon, followed by a likely 'Pro' Switch next year (possibly with another Zelda/Mario) should easily maintain momentum.   I really look forward to see what they can do software wise for the next 18-24 months.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more.  To me this sort of feels like the GameCube era, but if it had been more popular.  Back then I was the one most into Nintendo at work, but now I hear others mentioning the company far more than me.  When I overheard two workmates discussing the latest Smash Bros, I knew times had changed.

As for the hybrid aspect, I honestly always thought it was a good idea.  Not having to divide resources between console and handheld must be a huge benefit, and to me, having the "handheld" Zelda being the same full, 3D adventure you play on the TV is an amazing thing.

42 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Yeah, I couldn't agree more.  To me this sort of feels like the GameCube era, but if it had been more popular.  Back then I was the one most into Nintendo at work, but now I hear others mentioning the company far more than me.  When I overheard two workmates discussing the latest Smash Bros, I knew times had changed.

As for the hybrid aspect, I honestly always thought it was a good idea.  Not having to divide resources between console and handheld must be a huge benefit, and to me, having the "handheld" Zelda being the same full, 3D adventure you play on the TV is an amazing thing.

it's funny you mention that because I genuinely feel as though the Switch and its software is a follow up/successor to both the GameCube and GBA, which was definitely my favourite era of Nintendo! 

• Like 1

Just realised that it’s been two years since the Switch’s awesome Super Bowl LI commercial:

It really did such a great job of putting the Switch across to a more general audience. It’s got me wondering...could we maybe see a similar commercial for the Switch again this weekend, seeing as Nintendo have lowered their sales forecast for this fiscal year? 

Or could we get something for a game, perhaps? As neat as the Pokémon 20th Anniversary Super Bowl commercial back in 2016 was, it wasn’t cheap for what was essentially a $5 million reminder that Pokémon existed. 

There are going to be TV spots for many of the most anticipated films coming this year (probably a Detective Pikachu one, too?), sure, but I do feel like a first look at Gen 8 here could overshadow everything else. 

It’s very, very unlikely, but just thought I’d put it out there, seeing as Pokémon has had some pretty quirky marketing campaigns...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Julius said:

Just realised that it’s been two years since the Switch’s awesome Super Bowl LI commercial

Watching that brilliant ad back again brings back memories of the Switch launch window, good times. Still blow my mind the difference in their advertising this gen compared to the Wii U days.

As for a new ad this weekend, I'm not sure it's really necessary. The first one two years ago was about telling the everyday public that there was a cool new Nintendo machine/Zelda game on the market. Nowadays everyone knows what the Switch is so a generic 'look how cool this thing is' ad wouldn't amount to much and they don't have a huge tentpole release on the horizon (sorry Yoshi), so probably advertising money better spent elsewhere.

I don't think Nintendo will do anything for the Switch at the Superbowl this year...

... Detective Pikachu might get an ad though!

Edited by Dcubed

Has there ever been a Mario (American) Football game? Super Bowl would be a good time to reveal one. 

Mario + Rabbids X Blood Bowl? 

10 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Has there ever been a Mario (American) Football game? Super Bowl would be a good time to reveal one. 

Mario + Rabbids X Blood Bowl? 

There has not and I can't imagine an Italian offshoot of a French company (assuming it would still be UbiMilan) wanting to acknowledge such a barbaric thing such as America :p 

Also it would basically just be the north american market that would buy such a game.

21 hours ago, Julius said:

Just realised that it’s been two years since the Switch’s awesome Super Bowl LI commercial:

I still remember this little gag at the start of that trailer

McV5Ipy.png

• Like 1

Is there any hope of Darksiders 3 coming to Switch? I've just finished Darksides 1 and I have finished Darksiders 2 before, so I would like to continue the series.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Kounan said:

Is there any hope of Darksiders 3 coming to Switch? I've just finished Darksides 1 and I have finished Darksiders 2 before, so I would like to continue the series.

I think there is a chance though it didn't come to Wii U since it was too technically demanding

But seeing some of those ports for Switch and how well they run, I think it is possible. However, unlike DS 1, nothing has been hinted at AFAIK. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kounan said:

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't happen.  THQ Nordic are big supporters of Switch/Nintendo and bring basically everything they publish to it, with just a few exceptions.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

I think there is a chance though it didn't come to Wii U since it was too technically demanding
But seeing some of those ports for Switch and how well they run, I think it is possible. However, unlike DS 1, nothing has been hinted at AFAIK. 
So, just hope for now :). I need to get that PC.

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't happen.  THQ Nordic are big supporters of Switch/Nintendo and bring basically everything they publish to it, with just a few exceptions.
I am glad to hear that. I know they like Nintendo, but they have complained about the power. I really hope it comes out on the Switch as I would preffer to play it there instead on the PC.

An official email from Nintendo titled "Your February with Nintendo" doesn't suggest that a Direct is coming soon, at least with anything dropping imminently alongside it.

Edited by Tim B
mistake

I reckon Nintendo should turn Battalion Wars into an online multiplayer shooter.

A squad-based multiplayer, Nintendo’s  take on games like Battlefield... and throw in a Battle Royale mode too.

Edited by Kav

39 minutes ago, Kav said:

I reckon Nintendo should turn Battalion Wars into an online multiplayer shooter.

A squad-based multiplayer, Nintendo’s  take on games like Battlefield... and throw in a Battle Royale mode too.

I have zero faith that Nintendo could pull off such an online game. You'd probably have to jump though some weird hoops just to play with your friends and form a squad.

I loved Battallion Wars on the Gamecube. The main theme tune was great. Hell of a game.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1