NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Wowzers! :o

Yeah, that’s pretty nuts. I guess the decision to restart development was made a bit easier due to the fact we’d seen nothing but a logo. Must be so disappointing for everyone that’s been working on the game though. :blank: 

That's mental. Fair enough I guess.

What's actually on the horizon for Switch in the next two years now? Bayonetta 3? Genuine question since I'm a bit out of the loop. Love the hardware but haven't picked up the switch in months

1 minute ago, dan-likes-trees said:

What's actually on the horizon for Switch in the next two years now? Bayonetta 3? Genuine question since I'm a bit out of the loop. Love the hardware but haven't picked up the switch in months

The generation 8 Pokémon game is expected to come out this year. I know that much.

Edited by Glen-i

1 hour ago, dan-likes-trees said:

New Pokemon, Bayo 3, a new Yoshi, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Luigi’s Mansion 3. And some sort of weird Japanese Mech game that a lot of people seem hyped about. Those are the biggest titles for 2019/early 2020 from the top of my head.

2 hours ago, dan-likes-trees said:

Yoshi's Crafted World comes out in March.

Other first party published games that have been officially announced and slated for "2019" include Animal Crossing Switch, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Daemon X Machina, Ninjala, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order, Town and Pokemon Generation 8.

First party published games that have been announced without even a vague release date include Bayonetta 3 (probably 2020, but 2019 isn't impossible) and Metroid Prime 4 (probably 2022-2023 now).

Pikmin 4 was also announced years ago, but we haven't heard from it in about 3-4 years... so who knows about that one... Could be coming this year though!

A Switch remaster of Metroid Prime Trilogy has also been heavily rumored to be coming out this year (was actually supposed to come out in February 2019 apparently, but seems to have been delayed - likely because of the fact that MP4 was pushed back and restarted; so they might sit on its release for a while).  Meanwhile, Retro Studios was apparently working on Starfox Grand Prix; and if they're working on MP4 now, it should be finished and more or less ready for release any time now...

There's a decent list of games already slated for this year, and it has barely gotten started.  Couple that with the fact that most of Nintendo's internal developers are due to release something new this year and there should be a lot of exciting announcements and releases to come this year! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, I am impressed with Nintendo's transparency on the issue with MP4.

Just give me the HD Trilogy and i'll be happy.

I'm not concerned about the Switch's schedule at all. There are lots being released and also we dont actually know what else that is currently unannounced being released.

Personally I have a huge backlog and also not bought half the games I want to play for both Switch and PS4 due to lack of time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blade said:

To be honest, I am impressed with Nintendo's transparency on the issue with MP4.

Yeah agreed. Any other company would have released the game, knowing it wasn't great, just to recoup the money they've spent on the title so far. Full credit to them for starting over AND telling the fans directly whats going on and why its happening.

1 hour ago, david.dakota said:

https://youtu.be/apmYWzCapmYWzCbxa8

Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you tried using compressed air on it to clean out any dust that might have gotten trapped there?

Failing that, is it a Joycon that you got at the Switch's Launch date? Because those can be prone to Control Stick issues.

Edited by Glen-i

On 26/01/2019 at 6:32 PM, Dcubed said:

Ninjala

Had to look that one up because I had totally forgotten about it!

Looks a lot like Splatoon, weird that it’s remained so unnoticed. Definitely keeping my eye on it.

I’m loving the portability of the Switch as it helps keep me busy on my commute... but as a multiplayer console it’s pretty awful...

The WiFi is crap and connecting 2 or more Switches locally is even worse!

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Local multiplayer on one Switch is amazing, though.

If it’s docked it is.

52 minutes ago, Kav said:

If it’s docked it is.

2 player tabletop mode Super Mario Party on the train is where it's at.

I did the Switch advert thing of playing 2 player MK8 in tabletop mode on the train the other day.

Not with a randomer obviously, sorry Nintendo, that's a bit too weird

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I did the Switch advert thing of playing 2 player MK8 in tabletop mode on the train the other day.

Not with a randomer obviously, sorry Nintendo, that's a bit too weird

I’ve been tempted to offer randoms a game on my commute when I can see they’re paying attention to what I’m playing, haha.

Edited by Kav
  • Like 1

I played 2 player tabletop mode Smash with my cousin at Christmas, and it worked really well. Not sure I'd want to play for very long like that, but that's a different matter.

A couple of weeks ago I had to buy some new joy-cons. My left joy-con was completed knackered. The thing was drifting all over the place and whatever character I was playing as on a game would be constantly moving. I couldn't even look at the eShop without the cursor getting stuck moving upwards. I'm hoping this new set lasts longer than my first set. Less than two years old and the thing was broken. :( 

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A couple of weeks ago I had to buy some new joy-cons. My left joy-con was completed knackered. The thing was drifting all over the place and whatever character I was playing as on a game would be constantly moving. I couldn't even look at the eShop without the cursor getting stuck moving upwards. I'm hoping this new set lasts longer than my first set. Less than two years old and the thing was broken. :( 

My left analogue drifts, it’s so annoying... had the same problem on the WiiU but with the right one.

I had the same problem, fortunately my console was still under warranty so Nintendo fixed it for free. I'm having an issue now though with the Splatoon joy cons I bought to replace my originals while they were getting fixed, if when playing in handheld mode I move the Switch in a certain way or set it down at a certain angle the console thinks I've disconnected the joy cons and flashes up the select controller screen. Sometimes I have to physically slide the joy cons off the rail and slot them back in to get it to recognise them. It's just an inconvenience most of the time but it happened when I was playing Smash and the game froze completely, had to quit the game and restart it and redo the fight that I had been doing when the controller's disconnected.

Anyone else had an issue like that? I don't remember it happening with my original joy cons so i'm thinking it's a problem with the rails on the Splatoon ones rather than my console.

A new firmware update has been released for the Switch but don't get too excited as there is nothing really major about it.

• Select from six new New Super Mario Bros.™ U Deluxe icons for your user
    • To edit your user icon, head to your My Page > Profile on the top left of the HOME menu
  • Added additional language support to the HOME Menu for Chinese, Korean, and Taiwanese
    • To change the language, head to the System Settings > System > Language
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience

@killthenet there is also an update for joy-cons. Maybe that will help you with the issue you are having with them?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

there is also an update for joy-cons. Maybe that will help you with the issue you are having with them?

No amount of updates can fix the Joy-Cons, the build quality on most of them is simply terrible. :shakehead

I still have the drifting issue on both left and right sticks, and have also discovered that this...

On 26/06/2018 at 1:10 PM, RedShell said:

The LED on my right Joy-Con has decided to no longer light up for some reason, :hmm: it still connects and functions correctly but it's a bit annoying when using the Joy-Con grip as there's only 1 of those little green lights on the front now. :shakehead Not a massive issue obviously, but I do miss the symmetry of it. :heh:

...is more of a problem than I initially thought. :eek:

You see it turns out that although the right Joy-Con still connects along with the left one, i.e. as a pair. It will no longer connect as a single Joy-Con. And the reason for this is another pretty common design flaw, in that those tiny L & R buttons on the rail of the Joy-Con (together with the LEDs) are connected to the motherboard via a ribbon cable that has been soooo flattened in the assembly process it is super flaky and can stop working very easily indeed.

I decided to open up my right Joy-Con to check this out and sure enough, as soon as I straightened out that ribbon cable the LEDs lit up and those little L & R buttons were functional again. Unfortunately it's seemingly impossible to get it put back together with the connection still intact, no matter how much I tried, that severe bend in the cable would always cause the connection to fail whenever I closed up the Joy-Con. Really annoying! :mad:  

It's surprising just how much Nintendo's build quality has dropped over the past couple of generations, I mean they used to be exceptional in that regard. ::shrug:
No way would the Switch be able to replicate this:

ZPTh8V4.jpg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

No amount of updates can fix the Joy-Cons, the build quality on most of them is simply terrible. :shakehead

For me they are easily one of the worst parts of the Switch. I find them far too small to use on their own and the many issues that plague them certainly don't help things. Luckily the Pro Controller feels more sturdy. It's just a shame that you have to buy the thing separately. :( 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

For me they are easily one of the worst parts of the Switch. I find them far too small to use on their own and the many issues that plague them certainly don't help things. Luckily the Pro Controller feels more sturdy. It's just a shame that you have to buy the thing separately. :( 

Yeah, really expensive too!

I like the look of the Switch Pro Controller, but now that I've got an 8BitDo adapter I just use my old Wii U Pro. No gyro or snapshot buttons, but still super comfy to use and best of all, no stick drift! :)