NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

As someone who hasn't played half the games he has bought for Switch, a quiet period is fine by me, but who knows if we will get a direct in the near future, it could be soon, it could take a few months from now, I shall look forward to it whatever the case may be.

I wonder if the reason behind a lack of Direct (yet) is perhaps because the Switch is selling well enough to meet expectations? Nintendo probably had one of its strongest Xmas periods ever, and perhaps they're keeping it back for when Switch hardware sales need a bit of a boost?

...Or maybe it's coming next week, and was always supposed to...

Edited by Tim B
grammar

1 hour ago, Tim B said:

I wonder if the reason behind a lack of Direct (yet) is perhaps because the Switch is selling well enough to meet expectations? Nintendo probably had one of its strongest Xmas periods ever, and perhaps they're keeping it back for when Switch hardware sales need a bit of a boost?

...Or maybe it's coming next week, and was always supposed to...

The Switch definitely had a superb Xmas but the Direct's are always more far more aimed at fans clambering for the latest news. The release schedule is looking a bit bare bones at the moment so hopefully they announce one soon to calm us fanboys.

A comprehensive list of remaining Wii U home console exclusives (3DS ports are highlighted in bold)...

Nintendo Land

Zombi U (While it is technically available on other platforms; the gameplay experience sans Gamepad is so neutered that they're absolutely not worth bothering with at all)

Sing Party

Wii Kareoke U (Service has now been discontinued, so it's no longer playable - was fun while it lasted though!)

Wii Street U (Technically!)

Game & Wario (Only the Gamer minigame was ported to Wario Ware Gold; the rest are still exclusive)

Pokemon Rumble U (for what it's worth! - But even then, Pokemon Rumble games are all largely the same anyway)

Pikmin 3

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Art Academy Atelier (The 3DS Art Academy games do exist however...)

The Wonderful 101

Wii Sports Club

Wii Party U

Wii Fit U

Mario & Sonic 2014 at the Sochi Olympics (3DS version is a completely different game)

Super Mario 3D World

NES Remix 1 & 2 (As Ultimate NES Remix - though a few challenges and Super Luigi Bros remained Wii U Exclusive)

Dr Luigi (As Dr Mario Miracle Cure)

Pushmo World

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

Smash Bros for Wii U (Arguably as both Smash Bros for 3DS and Smash Bros Ultimate on Switch)

Kirby & The Rainbow Curse

Affordable Space Adventures

Mario Party 10

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (As Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars for 3DS)

amiibo tap: Nintendo's greatest bits (This doesn't really count as a game, but all of the featured games are actually available on the 3DS VC anyway)

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Splatoon (Outside of its single player mode however, Splatoon 2 makes the first game almost entierly redundant as it includes most of its multiplayer content anyway)

Yoshi's Wooly World (As Poochy & Yoshi's Wooly World)

Devil's Third (Only the single player portion; the multiplayer was ported to PC - Though both have been shut down now anyway)

Super Mario Maker (As Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS)

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (Ported as-is as the Tennis portion of Mario Sports Superstars - it was also actually finished and released on Switch as Mario Tennis Aces)

Tokyo Mirage Sessions#FE

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

Mini Mario & Friends: Amiibo Challenge (As Mini Mario & Friends: Amiibo Challenge for Nintendo 3DS)

Star Fox Guard

Star Fox Zero

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (3DS version is a completely different game)

Paper Mario Color Splash

We're getting there! Not much left that's truly exclusive now...

I do wonder if Nintendo would consider re-porting games to Switch that originally got 3DS ports... gut feeling says no, but you never truly know for sure!

What Wii U - Switch ports do you guys reckon we'll get throughout this year? My money is on The Wonderful 101 (It was teased alongside Bayo 1 & 2 on Switch) Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

I don't know what we will get, but I'd love to see Xeno X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Mario 3D World released. Starfox Zero would also be welcome. Nintendo Land too, but I guess It'd be impossible. Skyward Sword HD while we're at it please.

• Thanks 1

I don't know what we will get, but I'd love to see Xeno X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Mario 3D World released. Starfox Zero would also be welcome. Nintendo Land too, but I guess It'd be impossible. Skyward Sword HD while we're at it please.

They could release Nintendo Land, and I’d love them too. But the GamePad differentiated games, like Mario Chase would have to be marketed as online only, or multiple Switch games locally, like those 2 games from Super Mario Party. I’d love to play some online Mario Chase, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, londragon said:

They could release Nintendo Land, and I’d love them too. But the GamePad differentiated games, like Mario Chase would have to be marketed as online only, or multiple Switch games locally, like those 2 games from Super Mario Party. I’d love to play some online Mario Chase, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was always a shame they never followed up Nintendo Land with some DLC.  It was crying out for some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nintendo Land definitely one of their most underrated games. It got a lot of flak at the time for not being up to much but I had a great time. Loved most of the mini games and it was lots of fun collecting all those trinkets from Nintendo’s past games. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2019 at 10:48 AM, Nicktendo said:

Not if they used two Switches locally! Hell the game that it was mainly inspired by (Pac-Man VS) is already available on Switch, using that exact setup!

It (and Star Fox Zero) are absolutely possible on the current Switch!

Only games that aren't currently possible are Art Academy Atelier and Kirby & The Rainbow Curse because they rely entierly on the Wii U Gamepad's Resistive Touchscreen & Stylus.  Switch needs an official Active Stylus (like the Apple Pencil) before a port would be possible as there's no way that a standard Capacitive Stylus would do the job; and that would probably require a hardware revision to be possible...

Edited by Dcubed

14 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Not if they used two Switches locally! Hell the game that it was mainly inspired by (Pac-Man VS) is already available on Switch, using that exact setup!

It (and Star Fox Zero) are absolutely possible on the current Switch!

Trouble is how do you market a game that requires two Switches to function. It’s a tough fine print to put on games, especially single player ones like Starfox Zero

11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Trouble is how do you market a game that requires two Switches to function. It’s a tough fine print to put on games, especially single player ones like Starfox Zero

It is a difficult task indeed, but not an impossible one.  These are the guys that sold millions of boxes of cardboard after all, it's far from the craziest thing they've done.

And hey, they did it for Super Mario Party! (at least with the Dual Switch mode).  Switch is all about its versatility at the end of the day!  I'd expect the inevitable Pikmin 3 port to also include the option to use a second Switch console to replicate the Gamepad map from the original Wii U version.

Edited by Dcubed

10 hours ago, Dcubed said:

And hey, they did it for Super Mario Party! (at least with the Dual Switch mode).  Switch is all about its versatility at the end of the day!  I'd expect the inevitable Pikmin 3 port to also include the option to use a second Switch console to replicate the Gamepad map from the original Wii U version.

Wouldn't that require two copies of a game?

I mean, for the likes of Super Mario Party and Nintendo Land, I can realistically see a scenario where a couple of friends bring their own copies for dual screen shenanigans. But I can't see anyone going out of their way to get two copies of a single player game focused game like Pikmin 3.

Well, apart from you, at least.

23 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Prices on the South African eShop are going up tomorrow. 

sag663r0mdb21.png

Same thing happened on the Russian e-shop. It's funny, they sent an email round saying it was due to the increase in VAT (from 18 to 20%), but after going on the shop this morning it is only the Nintendo published titles that have increased in price, and in no way close to 2%.

Pricing is now significantly more expensive than in Europe and the UK. Good job I'm physical only for retail releases.

I think publishers set their own prices on the eShop, which is why it's Nintendo only -they were the only ones that cared, and for good reason. I essentially got the season pass for Smash Bros. for free by buying it off the Southafrican eShop.

How much did you pay for it? I haven’t bought it yet and now I kind of regret not jumping in last week. The problem here was that prices were generally in line with Europe, maybe a little cheaper. I guess Nintendo had too many people taking advantage of it and put a stop to it, which is a shame as there are better ways to tackle that than wholesale increasing the prices.

Ah, so the cheap eShop prices workaround might be coming to an end then. A pity.

46 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

How much did you pay for it? I haven’t bought it yet and now I kind of regret not jumping in last week. The problem here was that prices were generally in line with Europe, maybe a little cheaper. I guess Nintendo had too many people taking advantage of it and put a stop to it, which is a shame as there are better ways to tackle that than wholesale increasing the prices.

About the equivalent of 66 pounds. 

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Wouldn't that require two copies of a game?

I mean, for the likes of Super Mario Party and Nintendo Land, I can realistically see a scenario where a couple of friends bring their own copies for dual screen shenanigans. But I can't see anyone going out of their way to get two copies of a single player game focused game like Pikmin 3.

Well, apart from you, at least.

They would just release a free "connection app" on the eShop that includes all of the game files/assets, that is only usable when connected to the other Switch console.  That's what Pac-Man VS Switch did.

Edited by Dcubed

Mobile gaming is doing its best to destroy the value of games, so things like this, annoying for your wallet as they might be, are probably a good thing in the long run.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Mobile gaming is doing its best to destroy the value of games, so things like this, annoying for your wallet as they might be, are probably a good thing in the long run.

I agree with the sentiment; it's also a necessary step if they want to keep the eShop as region free for all Switch owners around the world.

They're not going to just leave an obvious pricing loophole wide open for abuse.  I'd much rather they plug the hole than to take away region free access!

They could have just tied your country of residence to one country and allowing you to access an eShop of another region but shop at your local prices. If you move country, you could apply for a change. I don't think many people move around that often so it would be much of a burden on Nintendo to accept the request.

4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

They could have just tied your country of residence to one country and allowing you to access an eShop of another region but shop at your local prices. If you move country, you could apply for a change. I don't think many people move around that often so it would be much of a burden on Nintendo to accept the request.

What's to stop people from lying about their country of residence in order to get access to the cheaper prices?

Back in the days of the Wii Shop Channel, when I was buying games from the US store with a US Wii, I used to lie all the time regarding my residency in order to use the Brazillian eShop (to add funds, since it allowed foreign debit cards), then switching back to the US store in order to actually buy the games I wanted.

Allowing that with a region free system is too easily abusable.

33 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

What's to stop people from lying about their country of residence in order to get access to the cheaper prices?

Nothing. But most people won't do that, I think. Also, they could implement one country of residence per Switch - I have two accounts, one from Denmark, one from South Africa, both on the same Switch. Seems a bit weird? Or base the country on the geographical location of the profile when it's logged onto My Nintendo (I haven't found where you set the country on the Switch itself - can you do that?).

If you want to "cheat", you do it no matter what. But if it's a bit more troublesome and not an instant process, many will not see it as worth it and thus drop it. 

They're not going to just leave an obvious pricing loophole wide open for abuse.  I'd much rather they plug the hole than to take away region free access!

Why not? It's what Sony does. You can still buy games from any region's shop you want on PS4. IMO it was extremely useful for Switch as a way to mitigate some of the "Switch tax" common to much of the pricing.