NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

7 hours ago, Tim B said:

I expect there will be TV adverts coming out as soon as this weekend.

Just seen one now

NSMBU dx probably won't explode out of the gate (it IS a re-release after all), but it'll likely be a strong seller over time; so it doesn't matter too much if the marketing push is a bit late.

More importantly, I'm just waiting for the Nintendo Direct announcement this week.  Should be happening either today or tomorrow! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

More importantly, I'm just waiting for the Nintendo Direct announcement this week.  Should be happening either today or tomorrow! :D

Really looking forward to the next Nintendo Direct, which is likely to feature something on Mario Kart Tour (this is due out before March, right?) and hopefully Animal Crossing Switch too! :bouncy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What day do we reckon this Nintendo Direct might be dropping on?

The last one (at least) was on a Thursday I believe... so perhaps the same again this time?

Probably either this Thursday or next, but if it's like last year it could be a Direct Mini. They do have a lot more games to talk about this year though so who knows.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

What day do we reckon this Nintendo Direct might be dropping on?

The last one (at least) was on a Thursday I believe... so perhaps the same again this time?

It's almost guaranteed to be this Thursday.  Probably 5PM GMT/9AM PST (That's the usual time; and the Happy New Year eShop sale just so happens to end at exactly 8:59AM PST...)

56 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Probably either this Thursday or next, but if it's like last year it could be a Direct Mini. They do have a lot more games to talk about this year though so who knows.

I doubt it'll be a mini one.  Nintendo need to announce release dates, because there are absolutely zero first party Switch games with confirmed release dates after NSMBUdx releases on Friday...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Time for today's random announcement! (Who needs a Direct anyway!?)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice surprise. I'll take it! 

"It's on my Steam wishlist, so I guess I'll buy it on Switch instead."

• Haha 1

Another game I own on the Xbox 360 and is still sealed... if this is getting a physical release on the Switch then I'll buy that and keep it sealed instead!

And maybe get around to playing it, one day.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Nice surprise. I'll take it! 

"It's on my Steam wishlist, so I guess I'll buy it on Switch instead."

That has literally been my adage all year :laughing:

Damn. So it looks like Dragon's Dogma and Yoshi's Crafted World were supposed to be part of a Direct that couldn't be done in time then?

Not a good look for Nintendo; seems that they're struggling to keep to their schedule... Makes you wonder what's going on over there...

Also, the fact that Yoshi's Crafted World is coming out at the very last moment of the financial year means that it's probably gonna be coming in hot... It was probably the absolute furthest that they could push it back; meaning that it is likely not really ready for release...

The hell is going on with Nintendo!? We've basically got no first party Switch releases for almost a whole 3 months! How the hell did this happen!? Nothing is ready, not even a Direct! They couldn't even get a Direct done in time, let alone their games!

Yeah, the reveal of Yoshi, Kirby (8th March) and Dragon's Dogma really tells that a Direct is not coming, though they wanted it to. Such a shame - it didn't need to have a whole lot of information, but some new trailers and new release windows along with perhaps a new game or two would be sufficient for me. Just something new to look forward to.

I think that Nintendo are scrambling right now...I think that they've fallen well behind schedule and they're scrambling to keep up the Switch's momentum; they desperately do not want to suffer another Wii U style drought situation but they're coming dangerously close...

Yoshi's Crafted World is probably not the only first party game that has gone through development hell and there's a very real chance that we're gonna be looking at another Wii U style drought if the 3rd party retail releases don't pick up the slack... The blatantly cancelled Direct and hastly shovelled out "story" trailer speaks volumes...

Edited by Dcubed

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

Totally forgot about the 3DS port of Epic Yarn.

Will be interesting to see if it is indeed the final first party 3DS game...

... It is kind of tradition for a Kirby to be released at the last moment of a system's life though, so it probably is the end :laughing:

41 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Damn. So it looks like Dragon's Dogma and Yoshi's Crafted World were supposed to be part of a Direct that couldn't be done in time then?

Not a good look for Nintendo; seems that they're struggling to keep to their schedule... Makes you wonder what's going on over there...

Also, the fact that Yoshi's Crafted World is coming out at the very last moment of the financial year means that it's probably gonna be coming in hot... It was probably the absolute furthest that they could push it back; meaning that it is likely not really ready for release...

The hell is going on with Nintendo!? We've basically got no first party Switch releases for almost a whole 3 months! How the hell did this happen!? Nothing is ready, not even a Direct! They couldn't even get a Direct done in time, let alone their games!

Sorry, where's all this coming from?

The hell is going on with Nintendo!? We've basically got no first party Switch releases for almost a whole 3 months!

They've got two big first party titles in their first three months: New Super Mario Bros U DX in January and Yoshi's Crafted World in March.

Just because a game is releasing at the end of March doesn't mean it's being rushed to release, that's pure speculation.

Who says they couldn't get a Direct done? Is there any evidence of that?

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Who says they couldn't get a Direct done? Is there any evidence of that?

The fact that they're chucking out release date announcements out of the blue? (and right before the deadline of NSMBUdx's release) The fact that they announced Dragon's Dogma Switch out of nowhere? (complete with Direct style trailer!) The fact that a Direct would usually happen at around this time?

All signs point to a cancelled Direct.

They've got two big first party titles in their first three months: New Super Mario Bros U DX in January and Yoshi's Crafted World in March.

One at the beginning of January, one at the absolute last moment of March.  In reality, it's a nearly 3 month gap between releases, with nothing inbetween...

Edited by Dcubed

26 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The fact that they're chucking out release date announcements out of the blue? (and right before the deadline of NSMBUdx's release) The fact that they announced Dragon's Dogma Switch out of nowhere? The fact that a Direct would usually happen at around this time?

All signs point to a cancelled Direct.

I think you're reading too much into things. There's zero evidence Crafted World has gone through "development hell", let alone other games of theirs.

As for release dates, one Switch release date and one 3DS release date. In no way does that point to a cancelled Direct, and anyway why would they cancel one? It's not like their dev teams are the same people who make the Directs. People just hype up their expectations so much it inevitably disappoints when it doesn't happen exactly as predicted. They were never going to have a Direct and show off lots of new games a few days before their big title of the month comes out and take focus away from that. After NSMBUDX is out then they can talk about what's to come.

26 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

One at the beginning of January, one at the absolute last moment of March.  In reality, it's a nearly 3 month gap between releases, with nothing inbetween...

Two and a half months between first party releases is pretty normal. There was three and a half months between Detroit and Spider Man, Sony's last two first party games, as one example. I'm sure Xbox goes through way longer than that between its games.

Edited by Ronnie

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think you're reading too much into things. There's zero evidence Crafted World has gone through "development hell", let alone other games of theirs.

They did announce it the same time as Kirby and that came out a year ago, they either had trouble or they put a lot more effort into it. It was looking pretty good at E3 though, they had gone quiet for a long time before E3 as well.

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

As for release dates, one Switch release date and one 3DS release date. In no way does that point to a cancelled Direct, and anyway why would they cancel one? It's not like their dev teams are the same people who make the Directs. People just hype up their expectations so much it inevitably disappoints when it doesn't happen exactly as predicted. They were never going to have a Direct and show off lots of new games a few days before their big title of the month comes out and take focus away from that. After NSMBUDX is out then they can talk about what's to come.

Two and a half months between first party releases is pretty normal. There was three and a half months between Detroit and Spider Man, Sony's last two first party games, as one example. I'm sure Xbox goes through way longer than that between its games.

Releasing Yoshi the week before probably wouldn't have been ideal anyway, plenty of other big games coming out then.

Microsoft and Sony don't rely on first party releases to keep their platforms afloat though... Meanwhile, there are zero retail releases scheduled between January 18, 2019 (NMH: Travis Strikes Again) and March 29th (Yoshi's Crafted World) on Switch; not even 3rd party shovelware.

Leaving your platform completely coasting for almost three months is a sure fire way to kill off its momentum.  Nintendo can absolutely forget about hitting that 20 million target now.

YCW was announced all the way back at E3 2017; and it looked rough.  The fact that it was completely absent from E3 2018 spoke volumes.  That game was supposed to originally launch last year; which is why NSMBUdx was pushed out of its original November slot (which we knew about long before the game was announced) into January; in order to fill a gap in the schedule.  It got completely Tropical Freeze'd.

Edited by Dcubed

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

They did announce it the same time as Kirby and that came out a year ago, they either had trouble or they put a lot more effort into it. It was looking pretty good at E3 though, they had gone quiet for a long time before E3 as well.

Probably a lot more effort put into it. Kirby wasn't up to much.

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Microsoft and Sony don't rely on first party releases to keep their platforms afloat though... Meanwhile, there are zero retail releases scheduled between NMH: Travis Strikes Again and Yoshi's Crafted Wordl on Switch.

Leaving your platform completely coasting for almost three months is a sure fire way to kill off its momentum.  Nintendo can absolutely forget about hitting that 20 million target now.

October: Super Mario Party
November: Pokemon Let's Go
December: Smash Bros Ultimate
January: NSMBUDX
March: Yoshi

That's five first party games in 6 months. Calm down.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Microsoft and Sony don't rely on first party releases to keep their platforms afloat though... Meanwhile, there are zero retail releases scheduled between January 18, 2019 (NMH: Travis Strikes Again) and March 29th (Yoshi's Crafted World) on Switch; not even 3rd party shovelware.

Are you talking about First Party, because I know Blazblue is out next month. Not that it'll set the charts alight or anything.

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Probably a lot more effort put into it. Kirby wasn't up to much.

October: Super Mario Party
November: Pokemon Let's Go
December: Smash Bros Ultimate

January: NSMBUDX
March: Yoshi

That's five first party games in 6 months. Calm down.

That (plus Kirby, Mario Tennis and Labo) was the entierty of their first party output of new titles for the whole of 2018.  That year was very back heavy.

And again, you can't just list NSMBUdx and Yoshi as blanketly "January" or "March".  In reality, YCW basically an April release (it's only 3 days away from it); while NSMBUdx is barely a January one.  The real gap is actually almost 3 months long; while they have absolutely nothing releasing at retail (from anyone, be it 1st or 3rd party) in the interim.  That's horrible!

Are you talking about First Party, because I know Blazblue is out next month. Not that it'll set the charts alight or anything.

@Ike I was referring to both first and third party, but I actually forgot about Blazblue :blush: (not that it's even remotely a significant release anyway)

Edit: Actually, which Blazblue is this anyway? It's not on the Gamefaqs release list and the only one I can see for Switch is Cross Tag Battle, which is already out (You can tell that I don't follow the series! It's all confusing to me!)

Edited by Dcubed

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

In reality, YCW basically an April release (it's only 3 days away from it)

:blank:

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

while NSMBUdx is barely a January one

January 11th is "barely January", ok...

I think you need to chill out a bit. They're not scrambling and failing to make a Direct, they just haven't announced one yet. There's no evidence Yoshi is in development hell, and Nintendo just released their biggest selling Smash game ever, and still have a 2D Mario game coming out in a couple of days, if they don't reach their 20 million target they'll get pretty close.

• Like 1