NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

42 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A few people on here have had issues like this with their joy-cons. It's a question of either taking it apart and trying to clean it, buying a new one or sending it to Nintendo to get fixed.

Or keep forgetting and every time you try and use it going "oh yeah, that"

Not me... Obviously.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A few people on here have had issues like this with their joy-cons. It's a question of either taking it apart and trying to clean it, buying a new one or sending it to Nintendo to get fixed.

Clean it?

So it is likely just dirt on the inside?

6 minutes ago, Mokong said:

Clean it?

So it is likely just dirt on the inside?

People have had good results using contact cleaner and/or compressed air. These are just temporary solutions though. Once it starts drifting it will usually go back to doing to after a while.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Angry 1

Nintendo have now taken the money again for the NES controllers.  So I'm guessing they've been despatched or about to be.

Only other person I've seen mention that they've ordered them @markderoos

• Like 1

If it's an old joycon then it sounds like the usual blocked/weak signal issue (e.g. a character will carry on moving after releasing the stick). Even though you're likely out of warranty try contact Nintendo and explain the issue. They fixed mine, albeit that was in warranty way back when.

You can fix it yourself with conductive foam.

• Like 1

Trying to get Super Mario Party and Joy Con bundle for my Nieces for Christmas.

Everywhere is sold out.

Got it pre-ordered with Amazon but has anyone heard of there being new stock before Christmas? Long shot I know but maybe someone on here has an uncle who works for Nintendo.

20 minutes ago, lostmario said:

Trying to get Super Mario Party and Joy Con bundle for my Nieces for Christmas.

Everywhere is sold out.

Got it pre-ordered with Amazon but has anyone heard of there being new stock before Christmas? Long shot I know but maybe someone on here has an uncle who works for Nintendo.

The thing has been a nightmare to find ever since it got released. A mate of mine managed to snag one in my local Argos soon after launch and they've never got any stock in since.

• Thanks 1

I finished a couple more games today and seeing as neither have their own threads I will just plonk some thoughts in here.

First up is SNK Heroines. Yeah, this game isn't for the easily offended or those put off by anime/gaming women in revealing clothing. :p 

You've got a selection of SNK women to choose from and you have to battle your way through the story mode, all the while the antagonist of the game is watching on camera, zooming in on certain areas when the opportunity arises. It's like some weird version of the movie Sliver. Instead of Sharon Stone being spied on while she's in the bath, its the SNK women being watched as they wear revealing outfits. The game has no shame in any of this and I honestly found it hilarious.

Completing the game with characters unlocks various goodies but the game encourages you to complete the game with with certain pair ups. Doing this will unlock artwork. Some are okay, like this...

Dun-rxrV4AIAdcw?format=jpg&name=medium

...while others go a different route. 

Spoiler

Dun-l00U8AAia8U?format=jpg&name=medium

Graphically the game is pretty rough. The character models used are ugly as sin. So much so that they make the first draft of Chun Li in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite look good. Had they used 2D sprites that matched their art designs then the game would have probably looked much better. 

Gameplay wise it's quite a fast and frantic fighter. It's like a mix of a standard 2D fighter, throw in some Dead or Alive raunchiness and add a touch of crazy from Smash Bros and you get this. The crazy comes from some of the insane items you get in battles and also the wacky things that happen as you land blows. Stuff like fruit and various animals pop out as you batter your opponent. I have no idea why. :laughing:

I enjoyed the game for what it was. It's not fantastic by any means but it's certainly a unique fighter, in both presentation and battle system. I do see why many would be put off by it though.

Oh, one thing that was highlighted to me while playing this was just how shoddy the Pro Controller's d-pad is when it comes to diagonal jumping. I've read a few times how people have issues with it ( it came up a lot in the Celeste topic on Era ) and with me only just recently purchasing one I finally see what people were talking about. Crazy that we are this far into the Switch's life and we've still yet to get a decent d-pad from Nintendo on their standard controllers.

Sticking with SNK, next up is SNK Collection. I bought this purely for 2 games that were on it. These were Ikari Warriors and Time Soldiers. I have fond memories of both these games. 

I started with Time Soldiers and was a little disappointed to find that the Master System version of the game wasn't part of the bundle. That's the version I have memories of but I made do with the arcade version.

When I fired it up, straight away I recognized some of the music, especially the boss tune. I remembered a few of the bosses from back in the day but that's because we used to be constantly fighting the same ones over and over again due to us not really knowing how the game worked. It's not that hard to figure out but I only played it as a kid and I can see why we were constantly caught in a loop.

I managed to finish the game and finally see the ending after something like 30 years. :) 

Dun-e7pVsAAWcNH?format=jpg&name=medium

As soon as that was complete I started Ikari Warriors. Again, this is another game I played as a child but this time it was both in the arcades and at home on my Commodore 64. 

This game is absolutely solid. Even with save states and the rewind feature I had trouble getting through the thing. The arcade version is much harder than the C64 version due to the amount of enemies it keeps throwing at you. I didn't realise the game is just one huge level. I thought it was split up into stages. I kept expecting a boss to show up and at one point I thought I had circled back to type beginning of the game. "I'm sure I've past that rock before".

I eventually made my way though it and got to see the anticlimactic finish.

Dun-YcYU8AADn7L?format=jpg&name=medium

I dabbled with a few of the other games in the collection but with things like this I think a certain level of nostalgia is needed to appreciate them. Having not played a lot of the other games on here, my time spent with them was short.

The collection itself has some great artwork, such as various drawings, cabinet artwork and an instruction gallery. There's also a cool little feature that lets you watch someone play the game so you get an idea of how to play. 

That's another 2 games on the shelf. Time to fire up my next one...

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Interested in this one:

The artstyle is inspired by 90s use of 3D in sprite-based games I believe.. like Donkey Kong, Mario RPG. Not everyone's a fan. Personally I'd also prefer a different style, it does look like a cheap animation, but I don't hate it either. I do like the premise. It's an oldskool RPG set in a town where time has stopped. There are time-traveling shenanigans happening.

• Like 1

Nintendo Switch Becomes The Fastest-Selling Console Of This Generation In The US

The Nintendo Switch has become the fastest-selling video game system of this hardware generation during its 21 months on sale in the US, it has been confirmed.

The news comes from American market research company The NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. From its launch in March 2017 until November 2018, the Switch has sold more than 8.7 million units, outpacing US sales of all other current-generation systems at the same point in their life cycles.

The good news keeps on coming for the gaming giant, too, as Nintendo has also become the overall top-selling US software publisher so far in 2018. Again, this news comes from NPD data which has tracked sales up until November 2018; sales of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate should only boost this statistic when added at a later date.

Crazy.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/12/nintendo_switch_becomes_the_fastest-selling_console_of_this_generation_in_the_us

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tim B said:

Yoshi's Crafted World listed for April 26th 2019 on Amazon.com. Seems realistic, and distanced nicely away from NSMBUD.

https://www.amazon.com/Yoshis-Crafted-World-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B072JYTJCH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545309447&sr=8-1&keywords=Yoshi's%2BCrafted%2BWorld&th=1

Yeah, that actually does sound like a realistic release date for it.  Could well be real!

Oh snap! I just had my mind blown! I just found out that you can actually turn a Switch on out of sleep mode, in docked mode, by holding down the Home button on the right joy-con!!!

Almost 2 years in and I had no idea you could do this!! :o Now I feel completely stupid for getting off my couch and pressing the power button on the console each time lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Weird 1

57 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Oh snap! I just had my mind blown! I just found out that you can actually turn a Switch on out of sleep mode, in docked mode, by holding down the Home button on the right joy-con!!!

Almost 2 years in and I had no idea you could do this!! :o Now I feel completely stupid for getting off my couch and pressing the power button on the console each time lol!

Yeah that switches my tv on as well which is nice. So fast to sit down and be in a game 

I have a bit of a random question I wonder if anyone on here might know the answer to. All my Switch games apart from one are digital and so I'm always a little worried when out and about that my bag/Switch will get stolen. If this happened, does anyone know if Nintendo would let me re-download all my digital games when I bought another Switch?

11 minutes ago, Tim B said:

I have a bit of a random question I wonder if anyone on here might know the answer to. All my Switch games apart from one are digital and so I'm always a little worried when out and about that my bag/Switch will get stolen. If this happened, does anyone know if Nintendo would let me re-download all my digital games when I bought another Switch?

Yes, if you decouple your old Switch and your Nintendo Account, you can then log in and register the new Switch and then download your games. 

• Like 1

The end result of 2018. I'll post a digital equivalent like last year when I've decided what to do with my gold coins.

switch_physical_2018.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Wow, that's very impressive, especially for just 20 months.

Side note, Limited Run Games really need to get their act together and centre the game titles on their boxes

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Wow, that's very impressive, especially for just 20 months.

Side note, Limited Run Games really need to get their act together and centre the game titles on their boxes

You're not the only one to notice haha.

I tweeted about it, and got some replies, including from someone from Limited Run. It appears that only European titles have centered titles.. US and Asia have them to the left.

Edit: to show some examples:

Edited by Sméagol

Isn't it weird how New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is out next week and there have been about zero promotion for it? No trailers, site just opened yesterday, only a few Twitter posts etc. 

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

Isn't it weird how New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is out next week and there have been about zero promotion for it? No trailers, site just opened yesterday, only a few Twitter posts etc. 

I expect some supermarket retailers to advertise it a bit soon. It's New Super Mario Bros. That stuff sells itself.