NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I don't really understand the GameCube controller thing for Smash. Sure, it was a good controller, but isn't the Switch Pro controller even better?

I don't really understand the GameCube controller thing for Smash. Sure, it was a good controller, but isn't the Switch Pro controller even better?
Is it £15 better though?

It may be better, I have no idea, but I'm used to playing Smash with a GameCube controller, so I thought, why not?

The official Pro Controller is fantastic, I use it wired and there are no issues with it, however for Smash I feel like a wired GameCube controller via the adapter is the way to go.

If you want wireless options then that new GC pad seems decent enough, nothing beats the feel of an original pad though.

Also, if you want wireless and a GC pad then I think you can still get a Wavebird for around the same price, but you need the adapter.

Pros and cons for all of them I suppose but it's good to have options.

28 minutes ago, Tim B said:

I think there's a lot of nostalgia involved

51 minutes ago, bob said:

Is it £15 better though?

It may be better, I have no idea, but I'm used to playing Smash with a GameCube controller, so I thought, why not?

I would say yes, because unlike the GameCube controller, it's designed for almost all Switch games and it is a more technically advanced controller.

You can use the new GameCube controller for Switch games so that argument doesn't hold. 

I have made the transition to the Pro Controller for this Smash Bros. purely because of convenience. It's easier to play the game with the standard controller for the system. However, it took some time to get used to the new controller and I had to remap the buttons to match the GameCube controller. It's a lot about muscle memory that isn't easily overwritten. 

One problem with the Pro Controller is that the right stick is a bit too close to the buttons, meaning that I accidentally hit the stick when trying to pull off a special move (Y). 

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

You can use the new GameCube controller for Switch games so that argument doesn't hold. 

Switch games aren't designed to be played with a GameCube controller, is what I meant.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I think there's a lot of nostalgia involved

I don't think so. It's a good Smash controller, with the A button being so big and close to the Y button for quick jumping.

The octagonal gate around the Control stick makes it better than the Switch control stick as well.

It's also easier to rest your fingers on the shoulder buttons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tim B said:

I have six GameCube controllers and one Pro Controller so...

Just checked Argos for the adaptor. Out of stock, expected in May. Why are you so useless at this Nintendo?

• Haha 1

Ahead of the inevitable early January Direct, what are everyone's best guesses for Nintendo's first party games for February and March?

The only two games we have seen gameplay for are Yoshi's Crafted World and Fire Emblem: Three Houses, so I would think they will be first to be released. However, Yoshi is genre-wise a bit too similar to New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe U so I can see that coming in March at the earliest. It's also not really a big system-seller or AAA title.

I think Fire Emblem might be a good bet for February for a bit of variation, and it's a big release (especially for Japan) which would try to help the Switch get to 20 million units before the end of the fiscal year. Then Yoshi in March.

Given how little we've seen from Fire Emblem Three Houses, I doubt it'll be ready in February or March. Perhaps May or June.

I believe we'll see DLC for some major games instead of a new game in February. Yoshi is probably a March or April release.

But the little we've seen of Fire Emblem is a lot more than we've seen of anything else, no? For all we know, any of the expected 2019 line up could be ready by February.

I'd be very surprised if Luigi's Mansion 3 isn't coming out in October - Halloween plus one year since the last release in the series.

A Metroid Prime Trilogy port have been heavily rumored these past weeks/months. Rumors said it would be featured as Nintendo's surprise trailer at The Video Game Awards, but instead we got the (insanely cool) Persona5 X Smash reveal. 

I guess we'll find out if there's any merits to the rumors next month. If the rumors are true though, my bet is that the trilogy will be released in february. 

Metroid would indeed would be a very strong contrast to Mario in January, so fingers crossed. I don't know if it matters, but that would mean two ports in two months as the big first party releases on Switch.

January: NSMBUDX
February: Daemon x Machina
March: Yoshi's Crafted World
April: Metroid Prime Trilogy
May: Fire Emblem Three Houses
June: Animal Crossing
July: ??
August: Bayonetta 3
September: Pokemon Gen 8
October: Luigi's Mansion 3
November: Metroid Prime 3/Retro's game
December: ??

Throw in Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein Whatever It's Called, Persona 5 and Mortal Kombat XI into the mix third party wise, and a couple of surprise Nintendo releases.

Probably wishful thinking to get Bayonetta 3, Metroid and/or Retro's game in the same year, but it could happen I guess

Edited by Ronnie

Daemon X Machina would also be a nice, adult-ish title for February, and we have actually seen gameplay for it at E3. Great shout!

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Throw in Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein Whatever It's Called, Persona 5 and Mortal Kombat XI into the mix third party wise, and a couple of surprise Nintendo releases.

Probably wishful thinking to get Bayonetta 3, Metroid and/or Retro's game in the same year, but it could happen I guess

Obviously that's a good mix but personally I'm only interested in Yoshi (and even then I expect it to be a fun 6/7) and Pokémon. 

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I think I’d move some stuff around, like: Pokémon to November (since every core series game since ORAS in 2014 has released in November); Bayonetta 3 to October, if it even comes next year (perhaps as counterprogramming  to Luigi’s Mansion 3; also seems like the first two games have had a good chunk of their (re)releases in October across all regions); and I’d lean towards Metroid Prime 3 being in August/September based on past releases (again: if it even comes next year?). 

I think that a Switch exclusive Square Enix title was probably fast-tracked after the success of Octopath Traveller — so I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw something revealed by them at E3 and released by the end of next year. Plus, I’d imagine that Dragon Quest XI S could be on the way next year, and elsewhere, I don’t see Atlus skipping the opportunity to put Persona 5 on Switch next year either. And we’re still waiting on Shin Megami Tensei V, so...it could be a disproportionately large year for JRPGs on the Switch :D 

5 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Given how little we've seen from Fire Emblem Three Houses, I doubt it'll be ready in February or March. Perhaps May or June.

I believe we'll see DLC for some major games instead of a new game in February. Yoshi is probably a March or April release.

I mean, they have said that it’s coming in Q2/Spring 2019? :p 

I’m curious what games you think they might have some DLC cooking up for? I feel like everyone’s been waiting for and has been expecting Odyssey DLC, but it’s been so quiet on that front...a potential shadow drop at the end of a Direct, maybe?

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

I think I’d move some stuff around, like: Pokémon to November (since every core series game since ORAS in 2014 has released in November); Bayonetta 3 to October, if it even comes next year (perhaps as counterprogramming  to Luigi’s Mansion 3; also seems like the first two games have had a good chunk of their (re)releases in October across all regions); and I’d lean towards Metroid Prime 3 being in August/September based on past releases (again: if it even comes next year?). 

Yeah I've no clue about when Pokemon typically releases, so Gen 8 in November it is!

I think Nintendo likes to have a big (non-Pokemon) end of year/Christmas game and I figured Metroid or Retro's title would be that game. Basically the title their E3 is centred on. Maybe it'll be something unannounced, but their line-up is pretty packed and diverse as it is I'm not sure how many more surprises are in store for next year. If Retro are doing that Star Fox Grand Prix game it makes sense they'd hold off talking about it until Star Link had its moment (ok, whimper) before they reveal it. If that's the case it should be close to release.

16 minutes ago, Julius said:

I mean, they have said that it’s coming in Q2/Spring 2019? :p 

I’m curious what games you think they might have some DLC cooking up for? I feel like everyone’s been waiting for and has been expecting Odyssey DLC, but it’s been so quiet on that front...a potential shadow drop at the end of a Direct, maybe?

Did they? Totally forgot and thus, it seems that Nintendo and I think alike. Hence, DLC in February is almost a given... :p

I'd expect something for Mario Kart 8 due to the rumours earlier. Odyssey is also likely, it takes time to come up with a new kingdom after all. No remake is getting DLC, and then we have games like Super Mario Party and ARMS left. My money is on the former two, though.

I really hope they don't give us Odyssey DLC and just give us a Galaxy 2 type sequel. Feels like over a year later we're past the point of potential DLC for it.

If the Star Fox racing game is a thing I can see them holding off on new MK8 DLC too. That's another game that might just get a sequel in a couple of years anyway.

Nah, I don't think Switch will see a Mario Kart 9. Can't see it offering something that 8 doesn't offer at the moment so it will be a hard sell. If, however, MK9 were to debut on a new console, people would have to buy it there in order to actually play an MK game. 

Anyone ever come across an issue with control stick on the Joy-Cons?

The stick on my Right Joy-Con I've noticed sometimes acts like it is being pushed when it is in neutral and untouched.

It seems to happen randomly. It seems to fix itself if I then just move it and release it.

I don't know if it a recent thing or something that happened before cuz most games only use it as camera so I would be usually readjusting it anyway.

Only started to really notice it with Smash Bros, when playing in Handheld and got confused when randomly kept getting stuck in smash holding pose even though I wasn't trying a smash attack.

Checked the Calibration settings and can see it in netrual to start with not moving. Will then wiggle it a bit and it mostly returns to neutral fine but the odd time can see it stopping just before neutral so it thinks it is very slightly being pushed...or it will slowly drift in a direction...usually down. Tried to recallibrate but still happens.

Anyone ever experience this? Can it be fixed or do I need to get a new Joy-Con :(

1 minute ago, Mokong said:

Anyone ever come across an issue with control stick on the Joy-Cons?

The stick on my Right Joy-Con I've noticed sometimes acts like it is being pushed when it is in neutral and untouched.

It seems to happen randomly. It seems to fix itself if I then just move it and release it.

I don't know if it a recent thing or something that happened before cuz most games only use it as camera so I would be usually readjusting it anyway.

Only started to really notice it with Smash Bros, when playing in Handheld and got confused when randomly kept getting stuck in smash holding pose even though I wasn't trying a smash attack.

Checked the Calibration settings and can see it in netrual to start with not moving. Will then wiggle it a bit and it mostly returns to neutral fine but the odd time can see it stopping just before neutral so it thinks it is very slightly being pushed...or it will slowly drift in a direction...usually down. Tried to recallibrate but still happens.

Anyone ever experience this? Can it be fixed or do I need to get a new Joy-Con :(

A few people on here have had issues like this with their joy-cons. It's a question of either taking it apart and trying to clean it, buying a new one or sending it to Nintendo to get fixed.