NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Tempted by this Switch deal to replace my working, but breaking one...

Console plus Smash plus MK8 £299. 

Already got MK8 so would trade in which GAME are offering £30 for. Making it £270 for console and Smash.

:confused:

I could sell mine as faulty and recoup some funds. Might pull the trigger. 

With most my PS4 gaming pretty much done for the year, I decided to start focusing a little more on my Switch. My final work day until New Year is on Monday and I figured I would spend most of my Christmas holiday just playing catch up on my neglected console. Over the past couple of weeks I've been prepping for my time off and picked up these.

Dt3veO8X4AExonk?format=jpg&name=large

Dt3vHFjWwAAwEdR?format=jpg&name=large

Dead Cells and Moonlighter are games I've wanted to try, despite my dislike of rogue games. Both are rated highly and what better way to learn to love this genre than with these two games.

Mario Tennis Aces has seen substantial updates since its release and I thought now was a good time to give it a go.

Starlink was cheap. :p

Labo is something I have been interested in ever since it got announced and the Labo Vehicle Kit seemed to be the package that offers the most in terms of gameplay.

Both Dark Souls and Diablo III have been on my radar for a while on the other consoles but I decided to get them on the Switch so I don't have to worry about collecting trophies.

Monster Boy and Mega Man 11 were games I was always going to buy but I had to import each of them as I wanted physical versions. For reasons beyond me we only got the digital versions over here in the UK/EU.

Yoku's Island Express and Owl Boy are games critics and gamers, including many on here, seem to really enjoy. Both looked great and quite unique, especially the former, and I thought I would give them a shot.

I picked Sega Mega Drive Collection, SNK Collection and Namco Museum Arcade Pac due to enjoying playing older games and arcade classics ( like the Capcom Collection and Hamsters output ) in handheld mode. There's something very enjoyable about playing these types of games on the Switch. I'm looking forward to playing such gems as Shining in the Darkness, Ikari Warriors and Splatterhouse while tucked up in bed.

SNK Heroines was bought as I wanted a fighter to play. I swear I'm only playing it for the story! :D Initially I was going to buy Blade Strangers but finding a physical copy was a little difficult and expensive so I went with this instead. 

Battle Chasers is another game I wanted to play ever since its release. Again, I picked it up on the Switch so I don't have to worry about trophies but also because I find it easier to play JRPGs on a handheld.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It's Smash Bros.

Phew! Quite a few games to get through but I'm looking forward to dipping into each of these in the coming weeks.

Oh, I also finally picked up a Pro Controller (Smash version). yesterday. I really should have bought one a long time ago as I'm finding it really comfortable to use. Its got a nice weight to it and the sticks and buttons feel great.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

That post is three hours old so I assume you've finished them all now?

• Haha 10
  • Weird 1

I used to do stuff like that. Buy a shit load of games, play about 15 minutes of each, feel overwhelmed and then never go back to any of them. Hope you do a better job!

Just now, Happenstance said:

I used to do stuff like that. Buy a shit load of games, play about 15 minutes of each, feel overwhelmed and then never go back to any of them. Hope you do a better job!

You've known me long enough by now to know that I usually finish the games I play. :p 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You've known me long enough by now to know that I usually finish the games I play. :p 

No, I need this to be the breaking point!

I've got a load of new PS4 games still to play and I've spent more time playing a Super Metroid cart this week so what do I know.

• Haha 3

I caved on that Switch deal. 

£299. Traded my copy of MK in now I have it digitally and picked up the Power A controller for a tenner. 

Will sell my old Switch as faulty now to recoup some funds. 

xStPnsf.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Dead Cells and Moonlighter are games I've wanted to try, despite my dislike of rogue games. Both are rated highly and what better way to learn to love this genre than with these two games.

Well, there's a 3DS roguelike I hate to love called Alchemic Dungeons (also on iOS, I believe).  Incredibly hard and equally addictive.  I've deleted it and re-downloaded it several times!  I definitely recommend it for a skilled gamer, because unlike a lot of other roguelikes it doesn't overcomplicate matters.  A Switch version where you could permanently build up the armour sets would be very welcome.

Monster Boy and Mega Man 11 were games I was always going to buy but I had to import each of them as I wanted physical versions. For reasons beyond me we only got the digital versions over here in the UK/EU.

Looking forward to playing Monster Boy myself.

Yoku's Island Express and Owl Boy are games critics and gamers, including many on here, seem to really enjoy. Both looked great and quite unique, especially the former, and I thought I would give them a shot.

I really loved Owl Boy, up to the point where I hit a brick wall.  It's a nice game though so I do hope to get past that point.

I picked Sega Mega Drive Collection, SNK Collection and Namco Museum Arcade Pac due to enjoying playing older games and arcade classics ( like the Capcom Collection and Hamsters output ) in handheld mode. There's something very enjoyable about playing these types of games on the Switch. I'm looking forward to playing such gems as Shining in the Darkness, Ikari Warriors and Splatterhouse while tucked up in bed.

Yep, looking forward to playing Mega Drive myself.  As for SNK, do you have King of Fighters '98?

Battle Chasers is another game I wanted to play ever since its release. Again, I picked it up on the Switch so I don't have to worry about trophies but also because I find it easier to play JRPGs on a handheld.

Hope you enjoy it.  As I say, I do find it a bit small on handheld, but of course you can still play it on the TV.

Anyway, nice haul, H-o-T.  Personally, I've re-downloaded Renegade and am trying to master that!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

SNK Heroines was bought as I wanted a fighter to play. I swear I'm only playing it for the story! :D Initially I was going to buy Blade Strangers but finding a physical copy was a little difficult and expensive so I went with this instead. 

When the story basically revolves around forcing the cast to wear the costumes against their will, you can't really use that excuse. :p If you wanted a fighter, you should have gotten Blazblue, but if you're after single player content, it doesn't really have much.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ike said:

When the story basically revolves around forcing the cast to wear the costumes against their will, you can't really use that excuse. :p If you wanted a fighter, you should have gotten Blazblue, but if you're after single player content, it doesn't really have much.

I'm intrigued to see why they are in that situation and how they get out of it....or something like that. :p 

Yeah, I was wanting a fighter that would have lots to do. Heroines is supposed have plenty stuff to unlock and Blade Strangers has a decent sized campaign.

15 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

I caved on that Switch deal. 

£299. Traded my copy of MK in now I have it digitally and picked up the Power A controller for a tenner. 

Will sell my old Switch as faulty now to recoup some funds. 

xStPnsf.jpg

Oh nice! Tell me, how is the PowerA Gamecube controller? Can you recommend it for smash?

2 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

Oh nice! Tell me, how is the PowerA Gamecube controller? Can you recommend it for smash?

It’s fantastic. 

What’s great about it is that it can be used on any Switch game as it has all the same buttons. It also adds clicky control sticks and the pressing of the ZL and ZR buttons are the same as from the GC controllers. 

I tried it with Odyssey last night and it worked perfectly. For Smash, there’s no better controller (for me). Highly recommended. 

• Thanks 2

I think I might get one too in the new year. They look really cool, and the thought of playing smash solely on joycons makes my fingers hurt.

I wanted to pick up a wireless version yesterday but game were out of stock 😣

29 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I wanted to pick up a wireless version yesterday but game were out of stock 😣

I'm pretty sure I saw those controllers in my local Tesco store yesterday, worth a try if you local branch stocks Switch stuff.

51 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I'm pretty sure I saw those controllers in my local Tesco store yesterday, worth a try if you local branch stocks Switch stuff.

They do not sadly.

38 minutes ago, bob said:

Argos sell them as well.

Where were you yesterday?

I was in London visiting friends actually. I had a lovely time, and it's nice of you to ask.
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bob said:
1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I was in London visiting friends actually. I had a lovely time, and it's nice of you to ask.

I'm glad you had a good time. 

I do kind of want one of those GameCube controller converters though as I have like six controllers somewhere. 

For anyone purchasing PowerA Gamecube controllers, don't buy the silver or gold versions. I've heard they've used a really bad quality paint on those, and they start to get worn down almost immediately. Go safe with gray, purple or black!

Went to Sainsbury's today to get lunch, and ended up buying one of the wireless ones from Argos. I won't even get to use it for another few weeks, but at least once I fire up Smash, I can play Ultimate using the ultimate controller!

• Like 2