NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Speaking of lazy journalism, Bloomberg published an article today ringing the bell of doom for Nintendo once more after apparently lacklustre sales figures in the face of 'few attractive titles for the holiday shopping season', with analysts advising them to cut the price of the Switch to $200 to encourage more sales. This report comes days after the Switch and Pokemon Let's Go were among the best selling items in the US on Black Friday and a week or so after they shifted 200,000 consoles in one week in Japan. Apparently if a company doesn't meet their high sales expectations just six months into the financial year then they're an absolute failure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Great timing with that article, the day those crazy sales numbers came out. But yeah, slash the Switch price by 30% just to make up the couple extra million it'll take to reach 20. Makes complete sense.

Unexpected use of Mario & Zelda to explain social media content moderation and (American) law on Patriot Act this morning.  

hm1.png

hm2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, I've been kinda sleeping on it, but... I'm now the proud owner of a Nintendo Switch :) Managed to find a good deal for it during Black Friday (299€ for Switch+Mario Odyssey), and I pre-ordered Smash Bros while I was at it (because the same store was offering a 10€ discount for that).

Just vinculated my Nintendo Account to the Switch, added a bunch of stuff onto my wishlist, and plan on getting online when Smash Bros comes home. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any small tips or info I should be aware of?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Any small tips or info I should be aware of?

Go easy on the Joy-Con analog sticks, they can be a bit flaky and tend to suffer from drifting issues after a while. I’d definitely recommend an alternative/more robust controller option for more intense games, especially Smash Bros. ;) 

Another weakness to the Switch can be its Wi-Fi signal strength, so if you’re not going to be using an Ethernet adapter, then try to use the 5GHz frequency instead of 2.4GHz, it can make a huge difference in performance.

Anyway, congrats on the purchase and I hope you enjoy your Switch! :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jonnas said:

So, I've been kinda sleeping on it, but... I'm now the proud owner of a Nintendo Switch :) Managed to find a good deal for it during Black Friday (299€ for Switch+Mario Odyssey), and I pre-ordered Smash Bros while I was at it (because the same store was offering a 10€ discount for that).

Just vinculated my Nintendo Account to the Switch, added a bunch of stuff onto my wishlist, and plan on getting online when Smash Bros comes home. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any small tips or info I should be aware of?

If you're buying games physically, don't forget you can hit the options button on it's icon and add the Gold points from the purchase to your account, which means savings on the eShop, Switch Online plan etc. If you're buying them digitally the gold points get added automatically. It's not a massive amount but hey it's free money in your account. My Online plan went down from £18 a year to something like £13 because of all the gold points.

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Go easy on the Joy-Con analog sticks, they can be a bit flaky and tend to suffer from drifting issues after a while. I’d definitely recommend an alternative/more robust controller option for more intense games, especially Smash Bros. ;) 

Another weakness to the Switch can be its Wi-Fi signal strength, so if you’re not going to be using an Ethernet adapter, then try to use the 5GHz frequency instead of 2.4GHz, it can make a huge difference in performance.

Anyway, congrats on the purchase and I hope you enjoy your Switch! :) 

The drift issue is so damn annoying!

Any easy remedy to it?

49 minutes ago, Kav said:

The drift issue is so damn annoying!

Any easy remedy to it?

It’s possible to alleviate the problem in some less severe cases by using compressed air (have done this a few times with mine) but once they’re really knackered then the only options are to get the sticks replaced, or purchase new Joy-Con. :blank: 

I used my launch day Joy-Cons exclusively up until recently, when I purchased an 8bitdo adapter. Now I have the option of using many other controllers on my Switch, including the Wii U Pro and DS4 (both of which have awesome analog sticks :cool:). Also got my GCN adapter hooked up and ready for Smash Bros., so yeah, will probably be using the Joy-Con only when playing in portable mode from now on. Would be annoying if I had to continue using them as my main docked controller option too though.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Welcome to the club! I don't know if dock scratching is still an issue, but I have it and therefore use as screen protector. The Switch's glass is just plastic and not fancy phone Gorilla Glass or something so it scratches quite easy. I hate screen protectors but made an exception for the Switch.

Oh, and by the time you're online add your friend code to this topic!

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jonnas said:

So, I've been kinda sleeping on it, but... I'm now the proud owner of a Nintendo Switch

[..]

Any small tips or info I should be aware of?

1] Don't sleep on your Switch. It's not a suitable pillow.
2] Get a pro controller, though this can wait once you have more / other games. For Mario joy-cons are fine.
3] You may as well start your trial so you can play some NES games.
4] It would be great if you keep your Switch profile name the same / similar as you forum name. Not everyone does that here. :indeed: This is the name we get to see on our friendlists.
5] If you don't have twitter, consider creating an account and linking it, it's the easiest option to share screenshots and videos.
6] Depending on how big your wishlist is, you may want to look into Micro SD cards. Though you just missed the Black Friday deals.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, RedShell said:

I've already ordered a Gamecube Controller Adapter for Wii U, so hopefully I'll get that situation sorted out soon :) Unfortunately, it'll only arrive around in a couple of weeks (it's from Amazon.de, and it's dependant on stock), but until then... I'll smash carefully :heh:

...Ethernet cable is definitely not possible, but I'll see if I can figure that frequency stuff out.

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

If you're buying games physically, don't forget you can hit the options button on it's icon and add the Gold points from the purchase to your account, which means savings on the eShop, Switch Online plan etc. If you're buying them digitally the gold points get added automatically. It's not a massive amount but hey it's free money in your account. My Online plan went down from £18 a year to something like £13 because of all the gold points.

Gotcha. I already know the conversion rate is 100 Gold Coins = 1€, and that each game gives you between 100-300 Gold Coins, right?

I was under the impression that a subscription discount was only available on launch, though. Can I redeem Gold Coins for that at any time?

6 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Welcome to the club! I don't know if dock scratching is still an issue, but I have it and therefore use as screen protector. The Switch's glass is just plastic and not fancy phone Gorilla Glass or something so it scratches quite easy. I hate screen protectors but made an exception for the Switch.

Oh, and by the time you're online add your friend code to this topic!

I see. How much is a screen protector supposed to cost? I see prices that vary between 5,99€ (Subsonic) and 14,99€ (Bigben). Not sure what kind of brand is trustworthy.

I'll make sure to find my Friend Code and add it to that list.

5 hours ago, Sméagol said:

1] Don't sleep on your Switch. It's not a suitable pillow.
2] Get a pro controller, though this can wait once you have more / other games. For Mario joy-cons are fine.
3] You may as well start your trial so you can play some NES games.
4] It would be great if you keep your Switch profile name the same / similar as you forum name. Not everyone does that here. :indeed: This is the name we get to see on our friendlists.
5] If you don't have twitter, consider creating an account and linking it, it's the easiest option to share screenshots and videos.
6] Depending on how big your wishlist is, you may want to look into Micro SD cards. Though you just missed the Black Friday deals.

1) Thank you, that explains the sore neck. FAQs never mention these things.

2) Will Gamecube controllers do?

3) The NEStflix service is just a bonus, so no rush. If it had N64 games, though, I'd be throwing money at the screen.

4) Done

5) I actively hate Twitter, so that's off the table. I only use Facebook for messenger and never post anything, so I might finagle something with the privacy settings to store pictures there.

6) I plan on going physical when possible, but storage issues will still come up, no doubt. The cute beginner-friendly articles with those Ana drawings (I take it she's named something else in other regions?) even recommended buying those cards.

Extra Question: How frequent are sales or discounts on the eShop? A rough estimate would be enough.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Extra Question: How frequent are sales or discounts on the eShop? A rough estimate would be enough.

There's usually some form of sale on every week.

7 hours ago, Jonnas said:

I see. How much is a screen protector supposed to cost? I see prices that vary between 5,99€ (Subsonic) and 14,99€ (Bigben). Not sure what kind of brand is trustworthy.

I have a plastic one on now that is also scratched, but I'm glad it is the protector and not my screen. I'm going to replace it with a tempered glass one, and I've read that this is a good option: https://www.amazon.de/Displayschutzfolie-für-Nintendo-Switch-Glassschutzfolien/dp/B01N9RG3XS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543910215&sr=8-3&keywords=switch+screen+protector

As for sales there are some games on discount weekly (I usually put them up on the main site every thursday). And quite often Nintendo has a big sale, with great discounts on indies and fair discounts on their first party titles. You just missed the Black Friday one but there will probably be another one in december. They also had one around Halloween and in the summer.

9 hours ago, Jonnas said:

...Ethernet cable is definitely not possible, but I'll see if I can figure that frequency stuff out.

Should be an option to toggle in your wireless router’s settings. Keep in mind however that some devices cannot connect to a 5GHz signal, it’s generally just older/cheaper phones and tablets, although I also realised recently that the PS4 can’t either. :heh:

Anyway, run the Switch’s internet test while on 2.4GHz wi-fi, take note of the results, and then if you can activate 5GHz, run the test again on that to see the difference. Chances are you’ll get at least double the download speed, and potentially 3 or 4 times more!

11 hours ago, Jonnas said:

2) Will Gamecube controllers do?

Not so much. They have a few buttons missing, so you won't be able to use them in newer Switch games (you need the L-button, home-button and +/-), so you should really invest in a Pro-controller if you have plans of playing a lot in docked mode. And it's a really, really good controller too.

I should know this but American physical games won't work on a European Switch will they?

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I should know this but American physical games won't work on a European Switch will they?

They will work.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Switch is completely region free.  You can even access foreign region eShop stores on any console.

Edited by Dcubed

14 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There's usually some form of sale on every week.

13 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

As for sales there are some games on discount weekly (I usually put them up on the main site every thursday). And quite often Nintendo has a big sale, with great discounts on indies and fair discounts on their first party titles. You just missed the Black Friday one but there will probably be another one in december. They also had one around Halloween and in the summer.

Ah right, I should've been more specific. I already knew about the weekly sales (I actually consulted your articles frequently back when I bought the 3DS), it's the big sales I was curious about. If they're as frequent as the GOG/Steam sales, then that's cool, it's the right frequency.

13 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I have a plastic one on now that is also scratched, but I'm glad it is the protector and not my screen. I'm going to replace it with a tempered glass one, and I've read that this is a good option: https://www.amazon.de/Displayschutzfolie-für-Nintendo-Switch-Glassschutzfolien/dp/B01N9RG3XS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543910215&sr=8-3&keywords=switch+screen+protector

Both of the prices I checked were for glass protectors, as well. I'll see if I can get one during the post-Christmas sales.

Should be an option to toggle in your wireless router’s settings. Keep in mind however that some devices cannot connect to a 5GHz signal, it’s generally just older/cheaper phones and tablets, although I also realised recently that the PS4 can’t either. :heh:

Anyway, run the Switch’s internet test while on 2.4GHz wi-fi, take note of the results, and then if you can activate 5GHz, run the test again on that to see the difference. Chances are you’ll get at least double the download speed, and potentially 3 or 4 times more!

Oh, that's going to be tricky. Our router is hard to reach, a lot of devices use it (including a couple of amplifiers), and we're expecting tons of guests for Christmas. I fear it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.

But still, thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to try it out at one point, at least.

10 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

Not so much. They have a few buttons missing, so you won't be able to use them in newer Switch games (you need the L-button, home-button and +/-), so you should really invest in a Pro-controller if you have plans of playing a lot in docked mode. And it's a really, really good controller too.

I'll think about the subject. Maybe if I ever get a frantic game like Hyrule Warriors, Dragon Ball FighterZ, or Bayonetta.

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Switch is completely region free.  You can even access foreign region eShop stores on any console.

8 hours ago, Ike said:

They will work.

Hmmm i knew you could faff around for the eshop but for some reason (history I guess) I thought physical wouldn't work. Cheers folks!

On 4-12-2018 at 11:19 AM, RedShell said:

@Jonnas, I think nowadays most routers that support dualband have both options on by default. This means that in your network you will probably see 2 options. XXXXXXXXX_2.4 and XXXXXXXXX_5 for example. Then it is just a matter of connecting with the 5GHz option. And may be good to take into account that 5GHz is faster and less crowded, but the wavelength is different which means that 5GHz "carries" less far. So if your Switch is far away from the router or there are walls/doors between the router and the Switch 5GHz might get a worse signal. Then it is a matter of testing which one works best for you.

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Thanks 2

I found that connecting to 5GHz made a huge difference. I can only use the 5GHz in the room where my router is (fortunately in the front room where my Switch is also), but I was getting terrible performance on 2.4GHz when playing Arena of Valor, which was massively improved when I switched bands. I'd go ethernet but I've run out of sockets on my router so would be plugging and unplugging all the time.

Well, then that option is out of the question. My Switch is far from the router and there's a granite wall in-between them (hence why we need the signal amplifiers). And if I'm understanding all this correctly, the 5GHz option is also likely to weaken the signal throughout the rest of the house, so definitely not ideal.

However, there is a TV in the same room as the router. Moving the Switch&Dock up there and trying out the 5GHz might be an option, though a sporadic one, not something I'll be able to do often.