NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Those numbers are hugely impressive, especially given the much lower installbase that other Pokemon games had to rely on.

Apparently hardware sales had a big boost in Japan (at least)

18 minutes ago, Julius said:

I can’t remember if the roughly 650,000 units sold was a figure for the first weekend or first week, but for reference

First weekend

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Apparently hardware sales had a big boost in Japan (at least)

Yeah, something crazy like a 10% increase, I think I remember reading somewhere. And that’s before a lot of the seasonal sales (in Japan and elsewhere) have come into full effect. 

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

First weekend

Ah, I thought so, but didn’t want to misinform anyone, so thanks :) 

I think the extremely positive word of mouth + the Christmas rush will keep this selling for a long while yet.

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think the extremely positive word of mouth + the Christmas rush will keep this selling for a long while yet.

Definitely, though I do have to wonder if it will have any impact on the marketing campaign for next year’s Pokémon game. I could see them pushing the reveal of the games into the second quarter at the earliest, for instance, just to ensure that LGPE sell as well as they can do and neither games have their sales noticeable cannibalised (then again, these games are likely going to be different enough that that shouldn’t be too much of a problem). 

Edited by Julius

Those sales are massive! They were never going to sell as much as most of the handheld games of course but such a small gap in units I couldn’t have imagined. I thought because of the much larger install base of handheld consoles and the lower price of the handheld games this had no chance to do these numbers. Really impressive!

And as much as I love this entry, I still prefer the  deeper mechanics of the older games. I do think there’s room for two different experiences within the franchise.

Wasn’t exactly sure where to put this, so I guess I’ll put it here? 

Imran Kahn, editor over at Game Informer, revealed the following in Game Informer’s most recent GI Show podcast. His statements follow talk about a Zelda-themed Switch and the show’s host, Ben Hanson, speculating on the next Zelda game being a co-op game by the Triforce Heroes team. 

I was just thinking what I should say about that. The next Zelda will probably be sooner than we think...I will talk to you guys off camera about stuff.

[Asked if the game will be co-op]

Um, not exactly.

Here’s a timestamped video of the podcast (which I would highly recommend checking out — I only subscribe and listen to the Easy Allies Podcast and the GI Show when it comes to gaming podcasts every week, and it’s got a good balance of professionalism and fun):

So...next Zelda in 2019, probably? I don’t think it comes as too much of a surprise, but still, it’s good to start hearing and seeing the nuggets out there. 

I really really really hope it isn’t a co-op spin off game. Four Swords and Tri Force Heroes just aren’t Zelda to me. 

Id love to see either a top down game like ALBW or a MM style console game reusing BOTW assets. Might be a bit too soon for the latter though. 

• Like 1

Given the Switch's form factor I could easily see them do a 2D 4 player game that uses one Joy-Con each. 

20 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Given the Switch's form factor I could easily see them do a 2D 4 player game that uses one Joy-Con each. 

Yep that's what I'm worried about, the easy multiplayer nature of the Switch. Thing is, there's tons of multiplayer games on it (Kart, Smash, Tennis, Splatoon, Arms, Party), I'd rather they keep Zelda as a core single player game.

• Like 1

Triforce Heroes didn't exactly sell very well so I wouldn't think they'd be very keen to try something similar again so soon. A top down traditional handheld Zelda seems like a pretty safe bet to me, Skyward Sword came out in 2011 and ALBW followed in 2013 so a top down Zelda in 2019 would be in line with what they've done previously.

I really hope they don't go the co-op route, like Ronnie said there are plenty of multiplayer games on the Switch already and it's not like the single player games are selling poorly - both BOTW and Odyssey have sold 10 million+ already and been extremely well received critically, there doesn't seem any need to experiment with co-op or multiplayer mechanics in a series that isn't well suited to them.

5 minutes ago, Tim B said:

Strong rumours that a Skyward Sword remaster is coming to the Switch.

https://youtu.be/Jp6syoTXvwY

Interesting. I wonder if this goes hand in hand with the rumour @Julius recently posted about the next Zelda being closer than we think?

Skyward Sword is my least favourite Zelda but if they somehow ditched the motion controls and tightened the game up to get rid of all the padding then I would be very interested in it.

• Thanks 1

I loved Skyward Sword but have only played it the once, have been meaning to play it again but have been holding off in case it gets announced for Switch so I'm totally on board. I don't think they'll make many changes to it, they didn't exactly alter Twilight Princess very much when that got remastered for Wii U so I doubt they'd get rid of the padding Hero-of-Time mentions. They would surely have to do something with the sword controls to get the game playable in handheld mode though, all of the other items could feasibly work with just tilt controls but the sword requires such precise tracking that you would need to play docked with the joy cons separate. 

Will also be weird for people who were introduced to the series through BOTW, Skyward Sword is a far more linear experience with very little freedom on offer to the player so I don't think the majority of those who enjoyed BOTW will get the same enjoyment out of Skyward Sword. 

Edited by killthenet

32 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Interesting. I wonder if this goes hand in hand with the rumour @Julius recently posted about the next Zelda being closer than we think?

Skyward Sword is my least favourite Zelda but if they somehow ditched the motion controls and tightened the game up to get rid of all the padding then I would be very interested in it.

I mean, if you're gonna change the game that drastically, you might as well just have a new Zelda.

The game is built around the motion controls.

• Thanks 1

Skyward Sword is one of my favourite Legend of Zelda experiences and I'm absolutely ready to jump into it again on Switch :yay:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Skyward Sword is one of my favourite Legend of Zelda experiences and I'm absolutely ready to jump into it again on Switch :yay:

Oh nekunando...what are we supposed to do with you and your weirdness. :p 

29 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Oh nekunando...what are we supposed to do with you and your weirdness. :p 

Compliment him on his impeccable taste?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I mean, if you're gonna change the game that drastically, you might as well just have a new Zelda.

The game is built around the motion controls.

And it was worse off for it. 

"With the last game, Skyward Sword, that was a game where you had motion control to use your weapons and a lot of different items," explained the creator of the series. "And I thought that was a lot of fun, but there were some people who weren’t able to do that or didn’t like it as much and stopped playing partway through it."

There's no denying the game didn't reach as many people as it could have due to the motion controls and it would be interesting to see if this would change if they were simply optional.

If they aren't going to make any substantial changes then why bother porting it over?

I liked the motion controls, but if they keep it motion controls only then that will probably prevent being able to play in handheld. Not sure if the Joycons are as accurate?

The game will look great in HD, it was a blurry mess on the Wii. My biggest gripe was slowing down the run speed when you were in town. And if they can tone down the seeking stuff and get rid of the repeated boss battles as well. It wasn't fun the first time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

I don't think they'll make many changes to it, they didn't exactly alter Twilight Princess very much when that got remastered for Wii U so I doubt they'd get rid of the padding Hero-of-Time mentions. 

Nintendo did sort out the pacing issues (Triforce Hunt) in the Wind Waker remaster so it's not out of the question that padding issues could be worked on if they were to remake Skyward Sword.

I can't even remember how far I got in Skyward Sword. Don't think it was very far at all, I think it was the fire level? I might actually be getting it confused with a different one though. I only really remember the fact that there were these birds in it. And a huge hole in the ground?

I always knew it was inevitable (I mean, it's the only 3D Zelda left that hasn't yet had a remake or remaster, so... yeah!), but I really hope that remark isn't in jest and that it really is coming soon!

fucking love Skyward Sword!! Finally!!! A real Zelda game for Switch (Yes, I know that Zelda 1 on NES Online counts, smartarse! - I'm obviously talking about native Switch games here :p ).  It's one of my absolute favourites in the whole series, right up there with Majora's Mask!

Can't bloody wait!! Love this game to bits! :yay:

All the game really needs is to have the annoying item pickup notifications turned off, to have Fi's handholding conversations made optional and to have the area transitions smoothed out (ideally made seamless).

And no, those motion controls are not going anywhere.  The entire game is built around them and they ain't redesigning the entire game to remove them.  The Joy-Cons have all of the capabilities of Wii Motion Plus for a good reason! They are being put to use here maties!

Also... HD Rumble is gonna be fucking rad as shit here! Never before has stabbing pumpkins and flinging them at people pointlessly ever been so satisfying :cool: 

YES!! GIVE IT TO ME! GIVE IT TO ME NOW!! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Wow. Going from the go anywhere enormous openworld and least hand-holdy Zelda game to the (basically) level select screen and Fi of Skyward Sword. 

Impressive. 

Also, Japanese people can be a bit odd. I’m not sure he was hinting anything. 

Edited by Ronnie

Just now, Ronnie said:

Wow. Going from the go anywhere enormous openworld and least hand-holdy Zelda game to the (basically) level select screen and Fi of Skyward Sword. 

Inpressive. 

Also, Japanese people can be a bit odd. I’m not sure he was hinting anything. 

And I will love every second of it! Fuck Breath of the Wild and fuck everything it stands for!

GIMME PROPER ZELDA! I'd take one Skyward Sword over 10 BOTWs any day!

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

And I will love every second of it! Fuck Breath of the Wild and fuck everything it stands for!

GIMME PROPER ZELDA! I'd take one Skyward Sword over 10 BOTWs any day!

“Proper Zelda”? If anything Skyward Sword is the least “Zelda” game they’ve released. There’s no overworld. Which is a pretty big deal. You pick an area you want to fall into via a menu, and the entire thing is just one linear point A to point B. Fi tells you exactly what to do every seven seconds and the “flying” area is utterly pointless. 

Breath of the Wild may as well be a 3D modern day representation of the original game. Basically as close to “Zelda” as you can get.