NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

That's pretty good, but just makes me feel a bit sad for the Gamecube.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimbob said:

In that short space of time, that's impressive numbers.  Some over at ERA were thinking it wouldn't hit 20 million by years end.

I don't think it will tbh but who knows, 20 million is a lot to sell in 12 months. I can imagine 15 or so is more likely.

A lot will depend on how much of a system seller Pokemon Let's Go turns out to be. I have a suspicion that it may perform similiarly to the NSMB games, in that it will sell well to people who own the console already but may not become a system seller, especially compared to a next gen Pokemon RPG.

I have a lot of friends who still play Pokemon GO and none of them plan to shell out £300 for a Switch and Let's Go. In a perfect world, we would be getting a traditional Pokemon RPG this year and LG in a few years time, when the install base was already massive and it didn't need to be a system seller.

1 hour ago, Goron_3 said:

A lot will depend on how much of a system seller Pokemon Let's Go turns out to be. I have a suspicion that it may perform similiarly to the NSMB games, in that it will sell well to people who own the console already but may not become a system seller, especially compared to a next gen Pokemon RPG.

I have a lot of friends who still play Pokemon GO and none of them plan to shell out £300 for a Switch and Let's Go. In a perfect world, we would be getting a traditional Pokemon RPG this year and LG in a few years time, when the install base was already massive and it didn't need to be a system seller.

Smash will probably be the one to sell more systems over Let's Go.  Many people who pay Go in the raid group i'm in don't want to shell out £300+ for a Switch and Let's Go, however some have in preparation for it.

I have a Switch problem. :(

I normally ALWAYS have my clear plastic shell clipped onto the Switch screen when I undock it and play handheld, and I always keep the clear plastic shells on the joy-cons as they never come off the sides. 

As we've been playing Mario Party a lot lately, I've got a bit lax and have kept the clear shells off both the console (it has to come off to be docked but I normally clip it straight back on when undocked) and the joy-cons due to them being used individually so much recently. 

Anyway, I dropped the Switch onto hard wooden flooring the other day. Oops. The vent had some of the plastic bits fall out which didn't seem to be an issue, and it was working perfectly fine after examining so I thought I'd gotten away with it minus the broken vent. 

I tried to dock it to play MP the other night and as I put it in, the Switch screen went off and the dock lit up green, my TV recognised the port now being used and flashed up a quick toggle to switch to HDMI. 

But when I switched to it, I just had a 'No signal' from my TV. 

And that is now all I get. :(

I've tried different HDMI ports, leads, 2 different TV's, resetting the console, everything. It won't see it on the TV anymore. :(

The only thing I haven't tried is a different Switch in my dock to see if it's my dock or Switch - but it's likely the Switch itself as it has only stopped working since being docked. It's strange though because it charges and everything normally and works in handheld mode no problem and the TV recognises the Switch it just wont display? 

Any ideas? I'm gutted. 

Damn, that sucks big time @Aneres11, especially since you are so careful with it. :( Only thing I can think of is try to turn the Switch off completely and restarting it, maybe that resets some kind of protocol. Otherwise, do you see any fall damage besides the damaged air vent? If not you could take the gamble and offer it for warranty, as the air vents tend to crack "naturally". If they don't see it as user damage they may fix it under warranty.

• Thanks 1

Well, I can say that while my Switch is fine, sometimes when putting it into the dock it won't go to the TV when put into the dock even when it's powered up etc. ::shrug:

Usually it's to do with the HDMI lead coming loose or something, where my dock is at the moment is "fine" but less than ideal as I have a load of stuff around it on the desk. :blush:

I'm going to be improving that soon though as part of a general overhaul of my setup. :cool:

In any case, it is worth taking all of the leads out of the dock and starting again, this usually solves the problem for me anyway. :peace:

All the best though @Aneres11 as I can't say for certain whether it'll be the same case for your Switch being that it has been dropped but you never know. :)

Being that you've already tried different cables etc though, it doesn't sound hopeful. :hmm:

Whereabouts on the Switch was the main impact when it hit the floor initially? Was it anywhere near the USB C docking port underneath?

• Thanks 1

So I got it working!

Unconventionally... 

I docked it and noticed that the switch looked like it had a very small curve in the middle which I decided to gently try and bend back to middle. Silly, but I felt like I had not much else to lose!

When I gently did it (whilst it was docked) the TV flickered on and I had an image - but it was really low res and jaggy. So I bent it slightly more and then it went black and then sprung to life and is now working absolutely fine. When I dock and undock it just comes on as normal. 

Very very strange. The slight pressure to bend back straight hasn't damaged in any way that I can tell, and I'm not sure how it had even got like that? It almost looks like some sort of heat expansion? I don't know. I don't see the drop doing that but I didn't pay much attention to where it took impact when it hit the floor. 

Will keep an eye on it anyway, but happy it's working for now!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Smash will probably be the one to sell more systems over Let's Go.  Many people who pay Go in the raid group i'm in don't want to shell out £300+ for a Switch and Let's Go, however some have in preparation for it.

Pokemon Go has such a huge install base that Nintendo only need a very small percentage of these to either buy Let's Go or a Switch to make big numbers. They can't really fail with this game.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:50 PM, Ronnie said:

Speaking of this place getting quieter, what's happened to @dazzybee? Not seen him for ages. Last I remember he was getting bizarrelly attacked by another for no good reason. Hope he hasn't been driven off the forum because of that

Man, I was thinking the exact same thing...Such an iconic N-E member.

I heard he got locked out of his iPad when he could no longer type his password in correctly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, bob said:

I heard he got locked out of his iPad when he could no longer type his password in correctly.

I feel a little bad that I laughed at that.

On 30/10/2018 at 2:07 PM, Jimbob said:

In that short space of time, that's impressive numbers.  Some over at ERA were thinking it wouldn't hit 20 million by years end.

No, that debate was to do with Nintendo saying that the console would sell 20 million units in just the financial year between March 2018 and March 2019.

So far it's only made about 7 mil of that figure, but who knows, Holiday sales could make up a chunk of the remainder.

For reference Nintendo sold 7.2m units in Q3 of the last financial year so it would take a boost to that and a good final quarter to reach the target. I expect Pokémon and Smash to do pretty well though, I don't think 10 million this quarter is out of the question.

They'll easily do it if they bring out a special edition Switch console for every single Smash Bros character.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Ike said:

8Bitdo are releasing a wireless Gamecube & Wii Remote style adapter. It has buttons on the adapter to restore the home button and screenshot buttons.

http://www.8bitdo.com/gbros/

VERY interested in this! Planning on picking one up so I can use my NES/SNES/Wii Classic Controllers on Switch (And not JUST with the NES Online games, like the useless official Switch versions!)

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Well, this just got sent out to die. Releasing the same day as Smash is suicide.

I'll be buying Katamari at launch but will be waiting until Xmas for Smash so they'll sell at least one copy!

• Haha 2

Did Nintendo choose the release date? I can just imagine them thinking "screw you Namco, should've released it on GameCube originally!". 

• Haha 2

Wow... Out of all the dates you could have chosen this year, that is literally the worst one. Kudos!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Wow... Out of all the dates you could have chosen this year, that is literally the worst one. Kudos!

At least it’ll probably beat that crappy quality Megadrive Collection on Switch...

... it is sacrificing itself so that SEGA AGES can live.  Bless its heart!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mandalore said:

Did Nintendo choose the release date? I can just imagine them thinking "screw you Namco, should've released it on GameCube originally!". 

They actually used the GameCube to prototype but Takahashi wanted to use the PS2 controller which is why it ended up on there.

I think I'm going to ask for this for Christmas.  They are releasing a physical version, right?

16 hours ago, Dcubed said:

At least it’ll probably beat that crappy quality Megadrive Collection on Switch...

... it is sacrificing itself so that SEGA AGES can live.  Bless its heart!

I'm not sure about that.  There's loads of nostalgia around the Mega Drive - I have a feeling it'll sell better.