NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

9 hours ago, Shorty said:

I've been thinking recently that a Discord channel wouldn't hurt N-E. It's the right balance between chat and forum, and allows lots of channels for lots of "threads" of discussion, whilst offering lots of modern benefits like notifications on a per-channel basis, announcements/moderation, and can tie itself easily into setting up online gaming sessions. I don't want to do anything that could make the forums even less attractive, but I also don't want to miss the boat on a maybe necessary migration while we still have a userbase.

On the other hand, N-E used to have alternative communication methods (including an IRC channel, iirc), and I don't think it made the forums any less attractive. A Discord channel might be an idea worth pursuing (even if I personally don't use it. Yet.)

True! In the height of N-E's days we had a very busy IRC channel on quakenet, certainly to no detriment of the forums :)

I think @Shorty and @gekko make some really good points. I think the older installed base may be a bit done with talking about games; instead they just want to play them, discuss them in a private circle or play a lot less games in general. I had the same happening on 2 music forums I was active on as well.

The younger generation is not interested anymore in a good discussion. Either content is absorbed through social media (preferably in video format or small bits of text), or if they are interested in the discussion they start a content channel like on Twitch or Youtube.

I saw someone say a lot of discussion has moved to Twitter and Facebook, but I never see a constructive debate under for example a news post from a Nintendo channel. Only oneliners, often complaints or HYPE!!1! shouts. Could be that there are more dedicated discussion places there that I am just missing, but I think people just don't want to communicate like that anymore.

I agree that discord could be a great addition. It allows for a good mix between slow-chat and discussions, and you can create different channels like threads for different games. "Big" discussions will stay on the forum anyway as you sometimes want to use formatting, images and the likes, or just type 5 paragraphs about a topic. In fact there is already a discord group I'm in with a couple of forum members and I really like the format.

Edit: Yeah basically I am just repeating what was already said I see now reading back haha. It is my way of saying, I agree. :D

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Thanks 2

Discord has completely decimated a couple of other forums I used to visit. I ended up deleting it (and Facebook group chats) off my phone, I felt I was spending way too much time on them.

You either need to be on them regularly not to miss topics, or scroll through gigantic wall of text. A forum like this you can pop in whenever you want. Everything new is easy to see and it's easy to pick and choose what topic you actually want to read. 

Also writing a post like this, you stop and think. It's way too easy to post impulsive crap on live chats.

Maybe threads going off topic could be an issue? :D What's going on with the switch right now? Is it going through a bit of a software drought, or is it all middle of the road titles but still a good steady trickle?

Draught? Dark Souls, Mario Party, Diablo, Pokémon, Smash, New Super Mario Bros., all within four months. Not to mention Indies. I have never had so many games to play whole owning only a Nintendo console.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, it's not really a drought - there's plenty of games releasing every week - there just hasn't been much for us to discuss in this thread since the last Nintendo Direct, the release schedule for the rest of the year is known so there isn't really any 'general' Switch stuff for us to discuss! 

For me it is a lack of time.

My daily routine involves waking up at 5:30, gym then work. I am a lawyer so it is pretty long hours and I often work in the evening. For example I had a trial to prepare for last Friday and literally spent the evenings beforehand preparing.

I am also currently studying a masters via distance learning. 

Being married also takes up a lot of time and together with spending time with friends and also networking for work. It all results in less time for hobbies.

I have not fell out of love for gaming at all. I dedicate the majority of my free time to it. Disappointingly, I no longer have a lot of that free time. I prioritise the little free time I do have to gaming.

5 years ago - I was single and barely started my career. I had a lot more free time which meant gaming every single day. 

The lack of free time means that I am behind on current gaming. I am playing Horizon at the minute together with some Cities: Skylines. I could post in the Horizon thread but whats the point? People have moved on. 

I think that is partly the problem. If I am not playing a game on release then obviously I can't talk about it as im not playing it. When I do eventually play it the discussion had finished months ago.

The issue is that we are all older and i'd say there is a large portion of the forum's user base just do not have the time to play the todays games upon release. I honestly do not think that it is people not making time or moving on from gaming rather its that people (or more specifically, I) no longer have the time I did before to game.

• Thanks 1

I could post in the Horizon thread but whats the point? People have moved on. 

Do eeeeeeeeet! You never know, you might start up a discussion!
  • Like 1

Speaking of this place getting quieter, what's happened to @dazzybee? Not seen him for ages. Last I remember he was getting bizarrelly attacked by another for no good reason. Hope he hasn't been driven off the forum because of that

• Like 1

Vampyr is apparently getting a Switch release. Vampyr is a game by Dontnod, the people behind Life is Strange and Remember me before that.

Not sure how I feel about it yet, that's why I'm not creating a thread for it. The game sounded interesting, but I think it got some mediocre reviews. @Ganepark32 wasn't super enthousiastic either in the other consoles thread.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

Vampyr is apparently getting a Switch release. Vampyr is a game by Dontnod, the people behind Life is Strange and Remember me before that.

Not sure how I feel about it yet, that's why I'm not creating a thread for it. The game sounded interesting, but I think it got some mediocre reviews. @Ganepark32 wasn't super enthousiastic either in the other consoles thread.

That's certainly unexpected, I was interested in it but the mediocre reviews definitely put me off but I'd likely buy anything of Dontnod's that comes to the Switch in the hopes they'll bring Life is Strange over. I got the impression that Vampyr ran fairly poorly on other platforms though so I'd expect it to be pretty sluggish on Switch.

Speaking of this place getting quieter, what's happened to [mention=448]dazzybee[/mention]? Not seen him for ages. Last I remember he was getting bizarrelly attacked by another for no good reason. Hope he hasn't been driven off the forum because of that

I have it under good authority that’s exactly why@dazzybee doesn’t frequent anymore.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, londragon said:

I have it under good authority that’s exactly why@dazzybee doesn’t frequent anymore.

How f-ing ridiculous. Not @dazzybee‘s decision to stop posting, but the bizarre, overzealous bullying by one mod in particular that chased him away. Can’t say I blame him for packing this place in after that tedious exchange. 

I’ve not really been here for a little while because I just haven’t had the time.

I’ve been training to become a nurse over the last couple of years and I am dying for free time.  Have barely even be able to play anything over the last few years (as @Glen-i can attest to - hell you can see it for yourself if you look at my Switch profile!) and I can only sneak in bits and pieces here and there right now (usually on the train).  It’s also the reason for why I haven’t been able to contribute anything to the main site for some time as well; as well as the forums.

Hell I bought Jackbox 5 over a week ago and still haven’t had time to play it with anyone! (Desperately hoping that tonight will finally be the night... don’t let me down @Glen-i and @Ugh first aid!)

I don’t really like Discord, it’s virtually impossible to get a discussion going or to even keep up with its sheer chaos! It has its place, sure.  It’s great for organising online games (which is what it was originally meant for), but it’s just not conductive to long-term discussion.  Even WhatsApp is better for that, because you can at least reply to someone instead of shouting into a noisy crowd!

When I (hopefully!) qualify in September though, I should have more time to spend on the forums again.  I do miss the in-depth discussions on here! (And I really want to get involved in the Monthly Game Club and get that really kicked into high gear! I love the idea and really want to make it something big on here!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 27/10/2018 at 1:47 PM, Dcubed said:

When I (hopefully!) qualify in September though, I should have more time to spend on the forums again.  I do miss the in-depth discussions on here! (And I really want to get involved in the Monthly Game Club and get that really kicked into high gear! I love the idea and really want to make it something big on here!)

Is that a typo, or are you only planning to join the Monthly Game Club 11 months from now?

(If it's not a typo, thanks for the long-term vote of confidence!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Is that a typo, or are you only planning to join the Monthly Game Club 11 months from now?

(If it's not a typo, thanks for the long-term vote of confidence!)

Lol! :laughing: I hope to get more involved sooner of course! But I’m sure we’ll keep it going for at least that long! :peace:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Lol! :laughing: I hope to get more involved sooner of course! But I’m sure we’ll keep it going for at least that long! :peace:

What’s this monthly game club you guys are talking about? Sounds intriguing

58 minutes ago, markderoos said:

What’s this monthly game club you guys are talking about? Sounds intriguing

It's a thread on the General Gaming Board.

The basic idea is that each month, someone provides a choice of 3 games and we vote on which one to play during that month and we chat about it and stuff.

So far, we've done Wario Land 4Link's Awakening and this month's Castlevania one is about to end. So it'll soon be time to vote for a game for November.

• Like 4

Looks like a couple of Directs may be on the cards for November.

Our tipster has stated with confidence that the first of the two Nintendo Direct’s this month is coming later this week. The exact snippet of the message we received was “I can say with confidence that a direct [will] occur later this week. It may be announced as soon as tomorrow morning”.
A big question from a large part of the fanbase is when will Super Smash Bros Nintendo Switch come up? It’s coming in one of the two Direct’s in November but we can’t be sure which one as of yet.

These were being talked about last week but it looks like the rumours are picking up some traction, with a few insiders on Era saying that one will be dropping this week, with it being most likely a Smash orientated one.

• Thanks 3

Yeah, I'm expecting a Smash one soon.  We know for certain that one is coming this month because they've yet to unveil the Spirits/Story mode that they teased last time!

As for the other one? We do usually get a main one in late November/early December, so it would be right on cue!  Will probably confirm the Jan-April lineup and will probably include Metroid Prime Trilogy HD (February - this has been rumoured for February for yonks), Yoshi's Crafted World (originally meant to come out this year and would make for a nice March bookend to the financial year) and Fire Emblem: Three Houses (RPGs always perform best in April on Nintendo systems and Nintendo will be keen to not make the same mistake that doomed Fire Emblem Fates in Europe!).

Speaking of which... Has anyone else noticed that the Switch's lineup for 2019 is looking eerily similar to the 3DS' 2013 lineup? It's remarkably similar!

And I'm betting that isn't by accident... I reckon that they're planning on repeating the same strategy that worked so well for 3DS in 2013, with one new 1st party title every single month of 2019!  They're well positioned to pull it off, as almost all of their development studios and partners are due to release something next year!

Potential first party 2019 lineup...

Jan: NSMBUdx

Feb: Metroid Prime Trilogy HD

Mar: Yoshi's Crafted World

Apr: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

May: 

Jun: Luigi's Mansion 3

Jul: Animal Crossing Switch

Aug: Daemon X Machina

Sep:

Oct: 

Nov: Pokemon Gen 8

Dec: Bayonetta 3

Not a lot of holes that need filling.  It's very doable! 2019 is well poised to be the Switch's equivilent to 3DS 2013 (AKA, the best year it ever had).

Even without Metroid Prime 4 - which won't make it in time for 2019 (that has 2020 written all over it) - Sketchy on Bayo 3's chances as well TBH, but it's not impossible! They already have the Bayo 2 engine that they can build on, unlike MP4, which has to start from scratch.

Edited by Dcubed

Do we normally get a Nov/Dec one? I always thought it was September and then January till the next next main one, with the latter being a pretty meaty and outlining the rest of the year.

Definitely expecting a Smash Direct but I'd be surprised if we got a main one as well. Pleasantly surprised mind.

In that short space of time, that's impressive numbers.  Some over at ERA were thinking it wouldn't hit 20 million by years end.