NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

On 9/30/2018 at 5:06 PM, S.C.G said:

I like the NES controller, it's solid enough but it's impossible to deny that it has been bettered several times over now. (even though it didn't stop me nearly buying these)

So these controllers are playing heavily on NEStalgia...

:blank:

...I'll see myself out

On the NES, even as a kid, I could put my thumb on B and then roll the side of my thumb onto the A. Totally fine, but that's because there's only two buttons to worry about :p

• Thanks 1

I prefer the NES layout for NES games. It's far superior to anything else. I never played the SNES much back when it was current gen, so the layout isn't second nature to me (and the N64 and GameCube and Wii layout are obviously very different). Still to this day I have trouble finding the perfect layout for retro and retro style games which use a SNES or PS layout.

If I were to design a new traditional controller with 4 regular face buttons, I'd probably use a wildly different layout.

On 30/09/2018 at 5:39 PM, V. Amoleo said:

Has anybody else who has ordered the NES Controllers for Switch via MyNintendoStore had their payment reverted today?

Yep, I have! :bouncy:

• Thanks 1

2 1/2 years into its life seems to be a reasonable time for a hardware refresh, though I'm struggling to see what they can upgrade without risking splitting the user base and making things more confusing for the consumer. Improving the quality of the display panel and replacing it with one that offers a higher dynamic range seems to be a given but if they increase the resolution to 1080p then surely a more powerful chip is required considering games currently run at a maximum resolution of 720p in handheld mode. They could offer better cooling so that the performance of the processor isn't throttled as much in portable mode but that might make the design more bulky than the current model. 

At the moment I'm just thinking it'll be a slightly smaller unit that offers more storage space and a better LCD panel. A unit with a better processor and more RAM will definitely happen at some point but it seems like it's too early to offer any substantial improvements.

Probably smaller tech/cosmetic changes rather than a big leap forward. I can't see them splitting the userbase two a half years in but then again they'll be in a tricky situation around that time with the next Playstation and Xbox around the corner. If they can implement that newer Tegra chip but still stipulate that every game needs to run on the older and new hardware then it might work I guess.

Edited by Ronnie

If it's faster and will allow a guaranteed 1080p when docked, then it's a personal must-buy. I've always wanted a Switch+, I've wanted one since launch.

But so far the only remoured upgrade is the lcd screen.. Since I don't play handheld that much, and I find the screen pretty good as it is, I'll pass unless there are substantial other upgrades. The rumour says they're not even upgrading it to OLED, so I don't see the point. Well, apart from perhaps some Gorilla glass, that could be useful, though personally it's not an upgrade seller for me.

Edited by Sméagol

Hopefully it will come with a better dock too...that can also be sold separately :p 

I'd like a lighter model if they can do it without any comprises, the current model is a bit heavy for use n handheld and starts to hurt my hands after a while.

2 minutes ago, Blade said:

An upgrade? Console has been barely out 18 months.

It's suggested as next summer at the earliest.  Let's take that as June and it will have been 27 months since the Switch came out.  Game Boy Advance SP was 23 months after GBA. DS Lite was 16 months after DS. 3DS XL was 16 months after 3DS.  They've not done hardware revisions for consoles during their lives (let's ignore Wii Mini as that was weird and after the Wii U), but in terms of their handhelds this is quite slow by Nintendo's typical standards.

It's suggested as next summer at the earliest.  Let's take that as June and it will have been 27 months since the Switch came out.  Game Boy Advance SP was 23 months after GBA. DS Lite was 16 months after DS. 3DS XL was 16 months after 3DS.  They've not done hardware revisions for consoles during their lives (let's ignore Wii Mini as that was weird and after the Wii U), but in terms of their handhelds this is quite slow by Nintendo's typical standards.

Did the Wii Mini actually happen? It feels like a weird dream I had.

Just like Resident Evil 7, it looks very playable, with a good connection, but doesn't look great. Anyway, I'd have bought a port if it was the same quality as Doom.

• Thanks 1

On 02/10/2018 at 8:48 PM, markderoos said:

Yep, I have! :bouncy:

It now says this on the product page:

This is a pre-order item. Your payment method will only be charged once the product has shipped.

I wonder if that's why the money has been returned.  Though they'll struggle to charge the card again now.

I'd be interested if they added in a web browser.. :D
My main interest for this upgrade is hopefully cheaper original switches (is that the plural form?), I tend to be unimpressed with Nintendo "upgrades"... the 3ds came close to being worth an upgrade, but tbh as I was so used to only using 2-d anyway...

Anyway, time will show if this upgrade ever turns up, hope it's a good one!

2 hours ago, Pestneb said:

I'd be interested if they added in a web browser.. :D
My main interest for this upgrade is hopefully cheaper original switches (is that the plural form?), I tend to be unimpressed with Nintendo "upgrades"... the 3ds came close to being worth an upgrade, but tbh as I was so used to only using 2-d anyway...

Anyway, time will show if this upgrade ever turns up, hope it's a good one!

I seem to recall Nintendo stated the plural is Switch but I could be making that up. 

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

I seem to recall Nintendo stated the plural is Switch but I could be making that up. 

You could be right.

11396105-1954454746001712.jpg

• Haha 2

Switch is done! Make room for the Huawei Mate 20 X!

huawei-switch-compare-oct162018-2.jpg

See, they said it's better!

Yeah, so Huawei revealed their new phone, and instead of comparing it to other phones they compared it to the Switch. Because that's the, uh, phone to beat?

huawei-switch-compare-oct162018-5-1376x1

huawei-switch-compare-oct162018-3.jpg

huawei-switch-compare-oct162018-4.jpg

Actually, it might be a tablet.

I feel like they kind of misunderstood two of the big selling points of the Switch...

Anyway, Mate 20 X costs $900. Nintendo is doomed!

EDIT: Some dude on ResetEra said.

Might buy one of these to use Nintendo voice app on

I definitely laughed.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Weird 1

That last quote cracked me up! :D

But come on, at least compare it to other phones first. This is such a strange way to reveal a new phone.

So it's just a high end phone? Comparing it to Switch really misses the point. Also it's size as a mobile phone is frightening, this will go the same way as N-gage.

Slight side note but why is this forum so dead lately? I really enjoy reading people's comments but there's hardly anyone here. Any other Nintendo forums with intelligent discussion?

19 minutes ago, Rob3008 said:

Slight side note but why is this forum so dead lately? I really enjoy reading people's comments but there's hardly anyone here. 

This place has been dying a very slow death for a long time and I can't see it ever changing.

We've lost far too many members over the years. I noticed some moved over to places like Gaf and Era and stopped visiting here altogether. 

Its kinda hard to stop this chain reaction. I mean, people visit gaming forums to discuss gaming and when people either aren't playing games or discussing what they are playing then ultimately people go elsewhere for their discussions. This leaves less members and then that causes cycle to continue where you talk about something, no one else is playing or discussing it and then you leave to get conversation elsewhere.

21 minutes ago, Rob3008 said:

Any other Nintendo forums with intelligent discussion?

You're giving us far too much credit. :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This place has been dying a very slow death for a long time and I can't see it ever changing.

I could understand it in the Wii U days but there's a lot going on with Switch and Nintendo in general that I expected it to be a lot busier...

I could understand it in the Wii U days but there's a lot going on with Switch and Nintendo in general that I expected it to be a lot busier...

Outside of the big ones, forums just aren’t as popular anymore.