NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

That'd have been me. Boob I called you out for being another bosum whom donates itself as a test subject for Nintendo's mass milking experiment. But the WiiUniverse recued you. I was only joking though :laughing:
No offense taken Beaverage.
  • Haha 1

Jokes aside, here is some uplifting news. 

It's been discovered codes for SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, N64 and Nintendo DS in the Switch eShop. This could of course just be a sign that Nintendo is playing around, and it could mean absolutely nothing, but on the other hand, this could be a sign of how the the Switch Online library could evolve further. If that happens...... *drool*

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/09/hold_me_virtual_console_data_has_been_discovered_in_the_nintendo_switch_eshop 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I would prefer a proper VC service where we can actually own the games but the NES games are pretty snappy on Switch so I can see the subscription approach working for systems up to the N64 but for DS games and above the file sizes would surely be too much to have all the available games on demand in the client. The code obviously doesn't mention GameCube but I can't imagine that'd be viable for the Netflix style library, those games can be upwards of a gigabyte so unless NERD have invented some crazy compression system then they'd have to be released individually. 

I hope we see them roll out more consoles soon, would love to play GB Tetris on my Switch

• Like 1

Hmm interesting...

Well, if all this turns out to be true then I can imagine them doing the following...

Carry on the Switch Online Service NES and SNES games to play online, possibly add N64, probably add in GB, GBC, GBA.

Release all of the above as an option to purchase seperately on their Virtual Console Switch label.

Have the likes of GameCube and DS titles added as Virtual Console titles or full on remakes and/or physical collections, especially for GC games.

Anything seems possible at this point.

• Like 1

They'd be leaving money on the table if they didn't let us buy NES/SNES games separately to the NESflix format. Maybe if/when games start leaving that as new ones get added.

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

They'd be leaving money on the table if they didn't let us buy NES/SNES games separately to the NESflix format. Maybe if/when games start leaving that as new ones get added.

As I understand it games won't disappear from the service, in marketing materials Nintendo only referred to it as 'a growing library of NES games' so I don't think we'll lose access to any of them. 

Then it seems strange if they think they can make more money this way, charging £18 a year for dozens of games (eventually), rather than £5-10 per game like on Virtual Console.

I think it looks better to investors to have subscriptions billed regularly than it does to have occasional one off payments - even if they could make more money selling games individually investors seem to prefer having  consistent income they can rely on.

I guess now is a bad time to mention I decided to keep it.... because.... animal crossing. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Copied from Reddit regarding legacy systems being found in the eShop’s code:

First, this is not Nintendo eShop data. This is just the JSON used for the Game Store in Nintendo.com. It's the same JSON template for all systems. Even the DS file has the same VC listing (and also amiibo, off-tv play, etc).

https://www.nintendo.com/json/content/get/filter/game?system=ds&sort=title&direction=asc

It's just something that the backend shares between all systems. The JSON template is the same. 

This JSON is used here: https://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide/?pv=true#filter/switch|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|featured|des|-|- (open the filter menu)

You can see that the VC filter is separate from the console filter. That's why it has to be in the JSON for Switch (and every other console). It's been like this since Switch was launched.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Sad 1

Ah, well that's too bad. It sounded too good to be true, to be honest. But here's hoping we at least get SNES and maybe even a selection of N64 games as well. Gameboy up to Advanced wouldn't be too shabby either, but just start by rolling out the main consoles first, Nintendo!

Shin'en revealing what they've been working on since FAST RMX tomorrow.

The topic and a lot of replies seem to want it to be F-Zero. As much as I want a new game in the series, I don't think Shin'en are a good fit. Sure they've made a fancy looking sci-fi racing game, it's incredibly basic when you take away the glossy graphics though. It gets a bit of a free pass because it's a Nintendo exclusive, there are far better sci-fi racing games out there.

• Like 1

Shin'en commented in the past that they started work on their next game before Fast RMX had even come out, and that it's something completely different to what they usually do...

41 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Shin'en revealing what they've been working on since FAST RMX tomorrow.

The topic and a lot of replies seem to want it to be F-Zero. As much as I want a new game in the series, I don't think Shin'en are a good fit. Sure they've made a fancy looking sci-fi racing game, it's incredibly basic when you take away the glossy graphics though. It gets a bit of a free pass because it's a Nintendo exclusive, there are far better sci-fi racing games out there.

I totally agree!

They're not the right fit for F-Zero unless they get a lot of help from Nintendo!

I will buy anything that Shin'en try their hand at... :D

...except for if it turns out to be a Battle Royale game. :p (but even then I'd be tempted)

All jokes aside, I love their games, especially since releasing the original F.A.S.T on the Wii and I also have their soundtracks which are fantastic on their own. :)

My money would have been on ports of the Nanostray or Iridion titles but if they stated that it would be something different to what they usually do then...

...I guess that rules out Anti-Gravity Racing, Shmups, Licensed 2D Platformers, Third-Person Action Platformers, Arcade Sports Simulation and Puzzle games.

:blank:

So, whatever it is should to prove to be interesting at the very least. :peace: 

• Like 2

Hopefully, this isn't it, but Shin'en are bringing Art of Balance to Switch next week (Ocotober 4th):

• Thanks 2

Has anybody else who has ordered the NES Controllers for Switch via MyNintendoStore had their payment reverted today?

9 minutes ago, V. Amoleo said:

Has anybody else who has ordered the NES Controllers for Switch via MyNintendoStore had their payment reverted today?

I didn't even get that far, after the poor implementation of adding a delivery address I just gave up.

They should have tied it into the Nintendo Store UK instead, at least that works.

If they are reverting payments for the controllers... that doesn't inspire much confidence, maybe they somehow didn't make enough despite limiting it to subscribers?

Just now, S.C.G said:

I didn't even get that far, after the poor implementation of adding a delivery address I just gave up.

They should have tied it into the Nintendo Store UK instead, at least that works.

If they are reverting payments for the controllers... that doesn't inspire much confidence, maybe they somehow didn't make enough despite limiting it to subscribers?

The whole thing has been a bit pants really.  When it actually let me add them to basket it was a chore to get through the sales funnel and then at the card details part, it failed every time for about three days.  I received no emails saying I'd even made an order, and there's no account section online, but I'm unable to add another set to basket and they'd taken my money so I thought I was set.  But no.

For what it's worth, I always thought the NES controller was a bit pants anyway.

Horizontally placed buttons are not as comfortable as diagonally placed ones.

EDIT: Well, as long as it's positioned SE to NW. Otherwise, you get this.

2014-05-09-564.png

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

I like the NES controller, it's solid enough but it's impossible to deny that it has been bettered several times over now. (even though it didn't stop me nearly buying these)

So these controllers are playing heavily on NEStalgia...

:blank:

...I'll see myself out

• Haha 1

Katamari Damacy Reroll had been delayed until the 20th of December for Switch. Its still headed to Steam/PC on the 7th of Dec.