NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

20 minutes ago, markderoos said:

Yes, but that's exactly my point; the target market for a game (or even console) is different and every piece of software or hardware makes for a different market strategy. I'm relatively sure both Rockstar and Nintendo in the first place are in this game for the money ;)

Absolutely. People make out like Nintendo are some kind of exception to the rule but they aren't and in some ways they are worse than other companies. At the end of the day they want the consumers money in whatever way they can get it, even it that means releasing ports at a higher than usual price. It's why I take issue with some of Miyamoto's comments because they aren't much better than the rest of the industry when it comes to trying to grab cash off of people. They just go about it in a different way.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think Miyamoto’s quote wasn’t intended as critisising other companies though. I read it as evaluating their own efforts up to this point. They experimented with different models and want to move forward with a model that didn’t make them the most money because they believe they can make a different model into a success.

It’ll be interesting to see if they can make a part of the mobile gamers move in the same direction.

1 minute ago, markderoos said:

I think Miyamoto’s quote wasn’t intended as critisising other companies though. I read it as evaluating their own efforts up to this point. They experimented with different models and want to move forward with a model that didn’t make them the most money because they believe they can make a different model into a success.

It’ll be interesting to see if they can make a part of the mobile gamers move in the same direction.

I may be wrong but I just can't see the model they chose for Super Mario Run ever really working well in the mobile market. Saying that, Mario Kart could be the game to make it happen but I also thought a 2D Mario would be able to pull it off, so...::shrug:

Microtransactions and gacha mechanics are king in the mobile space, which is why Fire Emblem has been so successful. Well, along with the waifu designs that the also game pushes. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the other hand, Nintendo is very experienced when it comes to swimming against the current ;)

But yeah, it’s very interesting to see if their approach will make them succesfull in the mobile space.

40 minutes ago, markderoos said:

I think Miyamoto’s quote wasn’t intended as critisising other companies though.

Yes he was in no way criticising others, not even hinting at such a thing and was only commenting on their own pricing models and how their pay-once offering hasn't worked out that well. 

My left analogue drags to the left, my right analogue drags downwards. So annoying, not the usual build quality from Nintendo.

21 minutes ago, Kav said:

My left analogue drags to the left, my right analogue drags downwards. So annoying, not the usual build quality from Nintendo.

Yeah, got the same issue with mine. Using some compressed air and recalibrating fixes it, but eventually the problem comes back and I have to repeat the process. :hmm: Apparently it effects the launch day joy-cons more than newer ones, but it is indeed disappointing from Nintendo as their hardware had such fantastic durability and build quality in the past.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like I've got a similar problem (one of the analogue sticks dragging downward).  Very often I turn on the Switch and it scrolls down through menus... could be eShop, System Settings, anything, but it scrolls down until it gets to the bottom of any list I'm on.

yeah I think I've got the same problem with my left joycon. When I switch the console on, it'll scroll down randomly.

It seems pretty clear now the Switch was rushed out of the door for release and they would have ideally worked on it for a little while longer. It worked out well in the end but the joy con hardware is definitely an issue, at least the launch ones. For the record mine don't have the above problem but I tend to use the Pro controller mostly anyway.

My left joy con's analogue stick started drifting after I played the end section of Steamworld Dig 2 where you have to flick the stick to keep your momentum going and increase your jumping range. Hadn't encountered any issues before that, I just bought a Splatoon pair when I realised it was going to negatively impact my gaming and thought I'd send the original off for repair but I've filled in the UK service form twice and had no reply, I was lucky enough to be able to afford a new pair so I keep forgetting to phone them up to request a repair on my original one.

On 8/23/2018 at 10:25 PM, Ronnie said:

Buying a game twice is 100% up to the consumer, so they're not "paying the price" for the game not selling on Wii U, they're choosing to invest in the game on a different platform. Why should a current gen game have its value slashed just to "reward" people who've bought it already? (As if playing the game itself the first time wasn't reward enough)

I bought, played and loved Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors on Wii U, but have zero inclination or desire to buy it a second time, so I won't.

Personally I have no interest in buying mk8 at full price, but if I could get mk8d on the switch for £10 (upgrade) kinda like they did with the wii/wii u transfer on vc games, I would be interested and would probably own a switch now. as it is, most of the games I'd like to play now I already own on the Wii U and buying a new console + paying full price to double dip just isn't worth it. Plus to be honest I'm pretty salty about Nintendo stopping me get the most out of mario maker with my nephew :D All in all, unless I win a switch from a competition, I don't see myself getting one at all... my wife seems keen on getting one though so maybe we will after all

• Like 1

Wow! Ug, hu, ly!

Why even bother when most Smash diehards will just want a GCN controller? Why not reprint the Wavebird? That costs a bomb now and I'd love a modern reprint!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Wow! Ug, hu, ly!

Why even bother when most Smash diehards will just want a GCN controller? Why not reprint the Wavebird? That costs a bomb now and I'd love a modern reprint!

I actually like the look of it lol but you are right, most people will want to play smash with a GCN controller. Although I think a pro-controller will be fine for smash brothers

3 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

I actually like the look of it lol but you are right, most people will want to play smash with a GCN controller. Although I think a pro-controller will be fine for smash brothers

Well, the D-Pad is only used for taunting, so the Pro Controller will be perfectly fine.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Well, the D-Pad is only used for taunting, so the Pro Controller will be perfectly fine.

What if you want to do the secret taunts on the Starfox stages and Palutena’s Temple?

That’s basically missing content if you only have a Switch Pro Controller!

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

What if you want to do the secret taunts on the Starfox stages and Palutena’s Temple?

That’s basically missing content if you only have a Switch Pro Controller!

Oh right...

BTW, you forgot Shadow Moses Island.

I'm sure it'll be fine. You only have to press and release down taunt (or is it up taunt?) very quickly. It should be doable.

Wait a sec, why would you own a Switch with no Joy-cons!?

30 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Oh right...

BTW, you forgot Shadow Moses Island.

I'm sure it'll be fine. You only have to press and release down taunt (or is it up taunt?) very quickly. It should be doable.

Wait a sec, why would you own a Switch with no Joy-cons!?

If you look on the last page you'll see because they broke due to poor build quality 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 26/08/2018 at 3:48 PM, killthenet said:

My left joy con's analogue stick started drifting after I played the end section of Steamworld Dig 2 where you have to flick the stick to keep your momentum going and increase your jumping range. Hadn't encountered any issues before that, I just bought a Splatoon pair when I realised it was going to negatively impact my gaming and thought I'd send the original off for repair but I've filled in the UK service form twice and had no reply, I was lucky enough to be able to afford a new pair so I keep forgetting to phone them up to request a repair on my original one.

My 2 year old dropped my Switch and the thumbstick on the left joycon snapped off. It can be snapped back in but it doesn't function correctly in that it won't recognise pushing upwards very well. I think it's probably broken more than I can fix by simply re-attaching it. I completed the book a repair form on Nintendo UK last week and i've heard nothing, not even a recognition Email. You said you've done it twice and still nothing?? Have you heard anything yet at all? It's still in warranty and ideally I want it repaired as they don't need to know it was accidental damage :p my issue is I can't simply replace it with a standard Grey Joycon because I got a Limited Edition Mario Red Joycon Switch. I can't seem to find them anywhere other than import sites and I don't know if the Jap/US Joycons will work with a UK Switch...

1 hour ago, ViPeR said:

My 2 year old dropped my Switch and the thumbstick on the left joycon snapped off. It can be snapped back in but it doesn't function correctly in that it won't recognise pushing upwards very well. I think it's probably broken more than I can fix by simply re-attaching it. I completed the book a repair form on Nintendo UK last week and i've heard nothing, not even a recognition Email. You said you've done it twice and still nothing?? Have you heard anything yet at all? It's still in warranty and ideally I want it repaired as they don't need to know it was accidental damage :p my issue is I can't simply replace it with a standard Grey Joycon because I got a Limited Edition Mario Red Joycon Switch. I can't seem to find them anywhere other than import sites and I don't know if the Jap/US Joycons will work with a UK Switch...

I haven't filled in the form again yet, so not heard anything from them. Like I said I keep forgetting to do it because I've got another pair so haven't had to go without playing my Switch. I intend to phone them if I don't hear from them within a couple of days of sending the form off again so you're probably better off just calling them up - especially considering its a limited edition Joycon that you want replaced. 

When you do get through to them and send it off you shouldn't be without it for too long though, my brother has had to have his repaired before and within less than a week he'd got it back. 

10 hours ago, killthenet said:

I haven't filled in the form again yet, so not heard anything from them. Like I said I keep forgetting to do it because I've got another pair so haven't had to go without playing my Switch. I intend to phone them if I don't hear from them within a couple of days of sending the form off again so you're probably better off just calling them up - especially considering its a limited edition Joycon that you want replaced. 

When you do get through to them and send it off you shouldn't be without it for too long though, my brother has had to have his repaired before and within less than a week he'd got it back. 

It's a real shame the website requests tend to get ignored because it's so much more convenient when you don't have much spare time. Probably best I ring them then as that seems to be what gets some action.

The Joycons are still expensive pieces of kit even just for one I can't afford a replacement!