NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's so weird that that Retro haven't put anything original out in years. You have to wonder just what the hell is going on over there.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that one or more of their projects got cancelled at some point and that the DKCTF port came about when their staff were left waiting around for pre-production to finish on something else that's still upcoming.

That's the only explanation I can think of anyway.  Their next project was due years ago.

Edited by Dcubed

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that one or more of their projects got cancelled at some point and that the DKCTF port came about when their staff were left waiting around for pre-production to finish on something else that's still upcoming.

That's exactly what happened it seems from reports. They were working on two games, one that got into a lot of development trouble and might be cancelled, and the other is the Starfox Grand Prix game that could get revealed any day now.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ronnie said:

That's exactly what happened it seems from reports. They were working on two games, one that got into a lot of development trouble and might be cancelled, and the other is the Starfox Grand Prix game that could get revealed any day now.

I totally forgot about this rumour, despite it only being in May. 

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The weird thing is that Shinya Takahashi just recently hinted at a possible revival of WaveRace on Switch; so I thought, "Great! That must be the Nintendo Motorsports thingy I heard about some time back!"; but then E3 came and went with nothing.

So if anything, I would've thought that SFGP was the cancelled game and Nintendo Motorsports was the one that was due to come out soon, but... nothing.

Maybe both got cancelled? I mean, NST was supposedly the lead studio on NM (with Retro assisting supposedly), and we know that NST has been very troubled in recent times ever since the Project HAMMER disaster, so... ???

Edited by Dcubed

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Maybe both got cancelled? I mean, NST was supposedly the lead studio on NM (with Retro assisting supposedly), and we know that NST has been very troubled in recent times ever since the Project HAMMER disaster, so... ???

Didn't NST helped with the ports of Captain Toad? I imagine they would have been busy with that. They seem to be quite a small studio and i'm not sure if they have the man power to do two titles at once.

32 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Didn't NST helped with the ports of Captain Toad? I imagine they would have been busy with that. They seem to be quite a small studio and i'm not sure if they have the man power to do two titles at once.

Maybe that’s why they worked on it? Maybe they went to work on it after their main project was cancelled?

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Maybe that’s why they worked on it? Maybe they went to work on it after their main project was cancelled?

Possibly. Maybe it was to get a handle on porting the engine so they can work on SM3DW. :D 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They could have easily got NST to make another 1080 game. The Gamecube one was brilliant and I imagine if Nintendo wanted to have one made they would have done so already.

I was under the impression the NST that made 1080 was long gone after failed Wii developments.

18 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

I was under the impression the NST that made 1080 was long gone after failed Wii developments.

The company themselves still exist but I have no idea if any staff that made 1080 are still around.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Doesn't Okami have a thread? Anyway, this unboxing of the collector's edition almost makes me want to buy it. That outer box is glorious.

• Like 1

I'm keeping track of games worth getting a switch for... odyssey, mario+rabbids, Splatoon 2, fire emblem warriors then arguably 1-2 switch and arms make 6 games. Until the list hits 10 I'm sticking to the wii u. I kinda regret getting the wii u now, if I didn't own it mario kart 8, botw, maybe pokken tournament, xenoblade 2, dkc tropical freeze, lego city, rayman legends, hyrule warriors would add up and make it an easy purchase choice. still, 4 more non wii u games should come out soon enough... hopefully

4 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

I'm keeping track of games worth getting a switch for... odyssey, mario+rabbids, Splatoon 2, fire emblem warriors then arguably 1-2 switch and arms make 6 games. Until the list hits 10 I'm sticking to the wii u. I kinda regret getting the wii u now, if I didn't own it mario kart 8, botw, maybe pokken tournament, xenoblade 2, dkc tropical freeze, lego city, rayman legends, hyrule warriors would add up and make it an easy purchase choice. still, 4 more non wii u games should come out soon enough... hopefully

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 wasn't on the Wii U and is a Switch exclusive.

haha, ok, I got confused with chronicles, good point... so just 3 games away :) thanks!

1 minute ago, Pestneb said:

haha, ok, I got confused with chronicles, good point... so just 3 games away :) thanks!

Before you've completed the 7 games on your list, the last three have been anounced. So go on, buy it now and start working on the backlog.

Also, Hollow Knight is missing from your list.

15 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Doesn't Okami have a thread? Anyway, this unboxing of the collector's edition almost makes me want to buy it. That outer box is glorious.

Oh man, that looks beautiful. I didn't even know there as a Limited Edition. Has anyone played the Japanese version? I believe there's an English language option if someone can confirm?

22 minutes ago, Rob3008 said:

Oh man, that looks beautiful. I didn't even know there as a Limited Edition. Has anyone played the Japanese version? I believe there's an English language option if someone can confirm?

It does 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pestneb said:

Hollow Knight, Metroid Prime 4, Star Fox Grand Prix, there we go, there's your three, plus the next 5+ years of software.

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Hollow Knight, Metroid Prime 4, Star Fox Grand Prix, there we go, there's your three, plus the next 5+ years of software.

We don't even know if one of them even exists. Cool yourself, man!

y4mZlfUV8OBvPSiyLSUteEnWezf5PJ69BykfV-PU

Not gonna lie, regretting a little not getting that collectors edition after seeing the video. Ah well.

Spoiler

The text at the bottom calls it a "Nature Adventure". Whatever that means. ::shrug:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ike said:

y4mZlfUV8OBvPSiyLSUteEnWezf5PJ69BykfV-PU

Hide contents

The text at the bottom calls it a "Nature Adventure". Whatever that means. ::shrug:

I'll tell you what it means...

Spoiler

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

I see a Switch port of NSMBU is being rumoured again. At this point they may as well just go ahead and announce the thing.

I'd rather NSMBU+Luigi U, give me Nintendo-made Mario levels any day over the, let's face it, terrible 99% of Mario Maker.

Sure we'll get both anyway.

• Like 1

I'd prefer the creative and unexpected nature of Mario Maker over another 2D Mario (great as it may be, it's a bit clapped to me) but as you say we'll probably get both so it's all good in the hood.

I'd prefer a new New Super Mario Bros.-game over both... 

But some of the levels in Mario Maker were great.