NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I've had the rumble knocked off of my joy-cons for ages now. I don't see the point of it and would rather Nintendo not have used it at all in order to bring down the costs of the joy-cons themselves.

16 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I mean, it's just rumble at the end of the day so never going to be life changing, and was never advertised as such. Plenty of people have said there's games that make brilliant use of it. Given the choice of regular rumble or HD rumble, I don't see why anyone would go for the regular one. It's a more nuanced version of something we've had for twenty years, sounds good to me.

I guess I got a little carried away after the ice-cubes in a glass demo and then the ball game in 1-2 Switch, haha.

Edited by Kav
  • Haha 1

Kimishima-san mentioned that the plan remains toship twenty million shipments for the console in the current fiscal year (between April 2018 and March 2019), and there are no problems in securing the required production volumes. While it’s true that the price of parts is affected by fluctuations, negotiations are undergoing to any impact on the production costs of these twenty million units.

Kimishima-san was also asked about Nintendo’s presentation at E3 and the fact that it caused a sharp decline in the stock value. He explained that the company is preparing to disclose more information to the customers at an appropriate timing, including products that will be launched during the year-end shopping battle. It’s not yet time to announce the full lineup.

That being said, he listed the games that will be released before the end of the fiscal year, mentioning that it’s a “powerful lineup.” Nintendo aims to maintain and expand the momentum of the Switch towards the year-end shopping battle (this is a widely used definition in Japan for the shopping rush at the end of the year). He believes that more detailed information can be disclosed to the customers in the future.

• Thanks 1

Regarding the Switch overheating/cracking.

I picked up a good tip in the comments from a YouTube video about it (not the one above) and it seemed to be a sensible suggestion.

Simply keep the flap of the dock open at the back (if you can) as that should help with getting rid of some of the heat.

Although in this current heat it might be a good idea to keep a fan running near your Switch when it's docked, don't run it too high but just enough to move some of the heat away.

Mine hasn't cracked or warped, I do use it docked and in portable mode but I usually take breaks inbetween playing it docked/undocked so that might have helped.

32 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yep, I’ve read that yesterday and mine has it too. A small crack over the back and a bit of the casing near the power button has chipped off.

I treat my Switch with the utmost care, have never ever been even remotely close to bumping it and always have it in a soft padded casing. Only use it undocked, don’t charge it with the dock but directly throught the first party cable and never take it out the house nor let anyone touch it :(

All my Nintendo hardware I’ve owned since release (NES was the first) and none of the other ones have cracks or bits chipped off. Only exception being the DS lite hinge issue.

So I’m really sad as this is not the quality of hardware I’ve gotten used to with Nintendo.

• Sad 1

I'm dreading checking mine when I get in from work. I'm always super careful with my consoles and I won't be best pleased if this has also happened to mine.

33 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm dreading checking mine when I get in from work. I'm always super careful with my consoles and I won't be best pleased if this has also happened to mine.

I’ll light a candle for you 👍🏻

• Haha 2

Just had a look at mine and I can't see any blemishes that weren't there before. I haven't really used my Switch over the past couple of weeks though outside of playing Steamworld Dig 2 and a bit of FIFA in handheld mode, haven't put it through anything particularly taxing in the dock for a while. Was potentially going to play Xenoblade 2 once I'm done with the game I'm currently playing but will hold off on that until the heatwave has died down.

Kinda on the same topic, on the latest episode of NVC Filip was saying how his Switch is pretty much busted due to how warped it got. The back expanded due to the heat that was being generated. I've marked the video to start when he talks about it and shows what has happened.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

21 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Although in this current heat it might be a good idea to keep a fan running near your Switch when it's docked, don't run it too high but just enough to move some of the heat away.

Yeah, I've been doing this recently with one of those little USB powered fans, connected to the Switch's dock. :D Only run it when playing the more demanding titles (like Splatoon 2) but it definitely makes a difference.

Anyway, checked my Switch and there are no signs of any cracks or warping. Only defect on mine is that the paint appears to be rubbing off over time, on the back of system and the Joy-Cons. But I can just about cope with that. :hehe: 

39 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Anyway, checked my Switch and there are no signs of any cracks or warping. 

I also checked mine and it was fine. I suppose it helps that I rarely play mine docked, so the machine won't be getting a full blast of heat.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

Checked my activity log, and my most played game is Pokémon Quest with 45 hours. It was free!

After that it's Mario Odyssey with 30 hours, then Minecraft with 5. Both seem like rip-offs now, seeing as I had to pay for them.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I also checked mine and it was fine. I suppose it helps that I rarely play mine docked, so the machine won't be getting a full blast of heat.

Glad to hear yours (and others) are fine but as I almost never put my Switch in the dock, I assume it’s due to another issue than just heating from the dock...

I don't have any cracks, and I don't often take it out from the dock. Maybe you people are throwing it around to much. :p

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I don't have any cracks, and I don't often take it out from the dock. Maybe you people are throwing it around to much. :p

Not at all, I’m extremely careful with my Switch in fact. I just don’t think it’s the heat but instead it might have something to do with the pressure on the machine while playing it undocked. That’s the only thing I can think off that might have caused it. And if that’s the case then the hardware quality is severely lacking...

Mine has lost one of those bars, and has two cracks near the fan exhaust. You can see it here:

m3LPEDrh.jpg

And this isnt even a launch day Switch, seeing as I had to replace mine after a weird bug. Oh, and if it looks odd, it's because I have a transparent shell on it. The cracked parts are original though.

Edited by ArtMediocre
  • Sad 1

Statement of Nintendo is: we didn't get many complaints about it but you can always contact our customer service.

I checked mine, luckily no broken plastic yet. I do have screen scratching from the dock though. I have a screen protector on it so my screen is undamaged but the protector is really scratched. So I may go for a tempered glass one.

For the casing issue I think it's always best to contact Nintendo, if only to make them aware of it and hope they recognise it as a problem and will fix it for free under warranty.

15 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Maybe you people are throwing it around to much. :p

t2x0G3n.gif

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Weird 1

7 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I do have screen scratching from the dock though. I have a screen protector on it so my screen is undamaged but the protector is really scratched. So I may go for a tempered glass one.

I can't recommend this enough! Get a tempered glass protector, you won't regret it one second.

For the customer service, I'll look into it, but I will not send my Switch away again until the Nintendo Online Service is launched and I'm sure I have cloud saves. I've lost 150 hours of Zelda gameplay once, not gonna happen again.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

For the customer service, I'll look into it, but I will not send my Switch away again until the Nintendo Online Service is launched and I'm sure I have cloud saves.

This.

5 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

For the customer service, I'll look into it, but I will not send my Switch away again until the Nintendo Online Service is launched and I'm sure I have cloud saves. I've lost 150 hours of Zelda gameplay once, not gonna happen again.

In that case, complain about it now, and mention this very fact.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I will. But the scandinavian distributor, who also do service on the machines, have such poor customer service I'm not sure why I even bother. I'll see if I can get a hold of them tomorrow.