NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I'm pretty sure a 4chan rumour suggested the next Yoshi or Mario game would be subtitled Switcheroo

it was one of those "leaks" I didn't mind reading :laughing:

32 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm pretty sure a 4chan rumour suggested the next Yoshi or Mario game would be subtitled Switcheroo

it was one of those "leaks" I didn't mind reading :laughing:

After all the games with titles playing on DS and U I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with at least one Switcheroo game at some point.

3 hours ago, Ramar said:

So I bought a switch two weeks ago. I want to get some family games like 1 2 switch (and Zelda for myself). Why are the games so expensive? Even pre-owned older games are holding value. It’s like the N64 all over again.

1-2 Switch isn't very good at all but I always imagine I'd pick it up when it's about £5.. maybe.. but it probably never will be :blank:

3 hours ago, Ramar said:

So I bought a switch two weeks ago. I want to get some family games like 1 2 switch (and Zelda for myself). Why are the games so expensive? Even pre-owned older games are holding value. It’s like the N64 all over again.

Just keep an eye on flash sales if you can e.g I popped into Game yesterday and FIFA 18 was £25 on Switch brand new, seen that for Skyrim and LA Noire too.

Sadly you and Glen are right though, holding their value so high it almost makes no difference if you get a game on launch or six months later. Even Ubisoft games! And that's saying something :p

• Thanks 1

"1-2 Switch is one of those games that you couldn't pay me to keep in my collection"

There's a quote for you to put on the box when you print more copies of it, Nintendo. :p

In fact, it amazes me that valuable game cards were sacrficed to give 1-2 Switch a physical release and meanwhile you have third parties not even using game cards at all for some games.

Those game cards could have gone to a greater cause... like giving say Bayonetta, Resident Evil Revelations 2 or even ALL of the MegaMan Legacy Collections a proper physical release. :blank:

So in summary, there are much better physical games you can buy instead of 1-2 Switch. :peace:

I know a lot of the first-party physical games (and some third party) are expensive but, they are decent titles and most of the games seem to be holding their value.

It's a good console to play games on and to build up a collection for. :D

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, nekunando said:

1-2 Switch isn't very good at all but I always imagine I'd pick it up when it's about £5.. maybe.. but it probably never will be :blank:

It’s more so my 6 year old has something she can play and we can all sit round the tv and play as a family.

Thats why I begrudge paying £35 for it.

2 minutes ago, Ramar said:

It’s more so my 6 year old has something she can play and we can all sit round the tv and play as a family.

Exactly, there are much better games you can get on the Switch for £35 or less which are family friendly.

Why not get Super Mario Odyssey or Mario Kart 8 DX? :smile:

Or if you're getting digital games as well then Sonic Mania is great fun, probably my most replayed game on Switch let alone other platforms. :D

I suggest to have a look at Snipperclips, nice and inventive game with a cooperative mode.

And Puyo Puyo Tetris or Bomberman maybe?

And those cheap looking Party Game Packs that genuinely seem to be a lot better than they look! Have to check what the name of that series is.

EDIT: Jackbox is the name, they seem to be worth their money, but definitely wait for a sale on those as they tend to go on sale every few weeks.

Edited by markderoos

2 hours ago, Ramar said:

That's just bad parenting. I have called Child Protection. Prepare to relinquish the child upon their arrival.

Seriously though. Snipperclips is cheaper, and actually fun. Mario+Rabbids is in the same price range, with co-op, also a lot of fun. Rayman is also always cheap (the physical release that is) and has a 4 player football mode. Plenty of stuff in the e-shop probably, in you're specifically looking for (4p?) co-op games, Overcooked comes to mind, amongst others. With a little extra budget and some patience you could've waited for Mario tennis.

5 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Exactly, there are much better games you can get on the Switch for £35 or less which are family friendly.

Why not get Super Mario Odyssey or Mario Kart 8 DX? :smile:

Or if you're getting digital games as well then Sonic Mania is great fun, probably my most replayed game on Switch let alone other platforms. :D

Already got Mario Odyssey, currently I’m being selfish and keeping it to myself. The kids have Cars 3 which came with the console.

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

That's just bad parenting. I have called Child Protection. Prepare to relinquish the child upon their arrival.

Seriously though. Snipperclips is cheaper, and actually fun. Mario+Rabbids is in the same price range, with co-op, also a lot of fun. Rayman is also always cheap (the physical release that is) and has a 4 player football mode. Plenty of stuff in the e-shop probably, in you're specifically looking for (4p?) co-op games, Overcooked comes to mind, amongst others. With a little extra budget and some patience you could've waited for Mario tennis.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be co-op but something easy to play. The party game genre appeals because we could make an evening of it.

I’ll have to take a look at the e-shop (whilst averting my eyes from Football Manager).

Kirby!

Easy to play. Cooperative. Hamster. 

Perfect. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I'd already seen it was a  cloud version but watching the trailer what a troll, the logo comes up "YASSS!" And then at the bottom "cloud version"..."wut?" 

Hopefully this will come to the West as still yet to play it, if nothing else I'd like to see how it handles being streamed, if the Switch is up to this sort of thing or not.

Its a baffling move. I hate to think how the thing will run in handheld mode. I mean, the wifi on the switch isn't exactly the best when playing online, never mind streaming a game like this. Also, it kinda takes away the point of the Switch of being able to play any game at home or on the go.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Its a baffling move. I hate to think how the thing will run in handheld mode. I mean, the wifi on the switch isn't exactly the best when playing online, never mind streaming a game like this. Also, it kinda takes away the point of the Switch of being able to play any game at home or on the go.

I'm going for a test. This is a test of the Switch's ability to pull this off, and a test to see if people will try this sort of gaming method.

After all, I think it's something like £18 to "have" the game for 6 months, which you'd probably do and see everything in; they could easily be charging £40-£50 for this (obviously it's Japan only at the moment)

11 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I'm going for a test. This is a test of the Switch's ability to pull this off, and a test to see if people will try this sort of gaming method.

I get that it's a test, it just feels weird to try this on a device that is also a handheld. Saying that, DQX also done this on the 3DS so... ::shrug:

As for people trying this sort of method out, if Playstation Now is any indicator then people aren't a fan of this, especially if the internet connection isn't stable enough.

• Thanks 1

I’m sorry to say this, but i really hope this model fails. As @Hero-of-Time already said it doesn’t fit the Switch’ hybrid nature at all. It also doesn’t fit my gaming style as I tend to finish big games only after a longer period of time which doesn’t match this three month subscription model. 

And lastly; I prefer to own my games physically and indefinitly.

I hope it won’t inspire other Dev’s to follow suit....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have to say I think it suits the philosophy of the Switch quite well; its positioned as the console that can do everything, so having a cloud/streaming of a game is an interesting model to try out with it. Admittedly it would be better if, like Xbox Game Pass, you could download the game to your console and would make much more sense for on the go, but from the top of my head Japan's 5G mobile network is very good compared to ours? Might play a factor.

@markderoos sadly I'm completely the opposite, I've gained an interest in collecting game paraphernalia like books etc, but I'd much rather have access to game on a cheaper model as once I'm done with it I'll always trade a game in and don't collect them in that way at all...so fingers crossed it works ;)

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I have to say I think it suits the philosophy of the Switch quite well; its positioned as the console that can do everything, so having a cloud/streaming of a game is an interesting model to try out with it. 

Except have voice chat native to the system, no Netflix, Twitch and YouTube implementation, no local backup saves.....:p 

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see if it does take off. I'm like others on here who would rather have the games physically than having to stream them. I like to see my games all lined up on the shelf. :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Except have voice chat native to the system, no Netflix, Twitch and YouTube implementation, no local backup saves.....:p 

Well... 😂

• Haha 1

Absolute rubbish.  Capcom simply can't be bothered to port it properly.  If Xbone can run it in 1080p/60FPS then there's no reason why Switch couldn't run it natively, even if it has to be downgraded to 30FPS.

Capcom's utter incompetence with everything Switch is just utterly infuriating!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Yeah... not a fan of this idea at all. I mean it sounded bad straight away, but finding out that it also involves a time limit made it even worse! :o
I've not played Resi 7 yet, but even if it was getting properly ported to Switch, I'd be far more likely to just get the PS4 version. Will be a shame if this cloud malarkey ends up being the only option for those that don't own other systems though.

I'm also not a fan of this strategy, that said, I'm most likely going to try it out in the name of science (if they offer it here). I'm very curious how it will actually play in practice. I have a relatively good connection, and I do want to form an objective opinion. But theoretically I only see downsides, and that's even disregarding the collector in me.

Edit:

I'd be more open to things like this for something like Xcom 2, a game I want on the system, and where connection issues don't lead to immersion breaking due to the nature of the game. Also, Resident Evil 7 runs on my 10 year old computer, and if Panic Button can port Wolfenstein 2 to Switch, there should be no issue to port RE7 in most of its glory to Switch.

Edited by Sméagol

Super weird decision from Capcom, I'm all for them experimenting but this is just baffling. You can buy the PS4 version for £15 from Argos right now, why on earth would anyone want to spend £13 to rent the ability to stream this for 6 months? I could understand the streaming concept if it was an MMO or something but for a survival horror game it just makes no sense. With games like Doom and Wolfenstein I wouldn't mind a downgrade in visuals and framerate to be able to enjoy them in handheld mode but with something as immersive as RE7 it seems entirely at odds with the concept of the Switch, even without all this streaming nonsense thrown in. 

Edited by killthenet