NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

To be banned in all good western nations!

Except France, France are cool with it.

Edited by Dcubed

At the Bafta Game Awards — where Nintendo was very successful, taking home three awards: Game Design and Family Game for Super Mario Odyssey, and Game Innovation for Breath of the Wild — Shinya Takahashi revealed that Nintendo is already researching new hardware. 

No surprises there, considering just how long Nintendo had been working on the Switch prior to its reveal, but it’s nice to know that Nintendo aren’t about to sit on their laurels and let their recent successes with the Switch distract them from looking ahead.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

At the Bafta Game Awards — where Nintendo was very successful, taking home three awards: Game Design and Family Game for Super Mario Odyssey, and Game Innovation for Breath of the Wild — Shinya Takahashi revealed that Nintendo is already researching new hardware. 

No surprises there, considering just how long Nintendo had been working on the Switch prior to its reveal, but it’s nice to know that Nintendo aren’t about to sit on their laurels and let their recent successes with the Switch distract them from looking ahead.

At the risk of opening a can of worms (or even a new thread...) Where do Nintendo go from here? 

The Switch has been such a success and such a natural evolution of bringing their handheld and home console ideas together, what's next? Just an all round souped up Switch 2 with 4K gaming etc etc, back to a more traditional home console and handheld seperate business? VR?

Surely every company has dedicated hardware departments? They aren't just going to sit around twiddling their thumbs for 2 years after a console launch, they'll all start work on the next one straight away.

It was an interesting night at the BAFTAs in general. Switch wise beyond the wins for Nintendo, Gorogoa won for Debut Game and Night in the Woods won for Narrative, both very well deserved. I really need to get back to both games, I just got swept up with other releases and haven't yet gone back to them to finish them up. Perhaps soon.

With regards to Nintendo working on hardware, as Bob puts it, all platform holders are always working in what's next behind the scenes. There's likely a warehouse in Kyoto filled with hardware ideas and such that Nintendo have developed that haven't seen the light of day so it's not big news that they're working on the next big thing for them.

It will be interesting to see where they go from the Switch when the disparity between Nintendo's console and the others from Sony and Microsoft will be glaring with the step up to 4k. That's not to say Nintendo won't go for that spec level but it would be a big step over where they are at the moment. And then there's whether they'll opt for something along the lines of the Switch, to maintain similar hardware between home and handheld consoles, or whether they'll go for a more typical home console unit. It's obviously a ways out but it'll definitely be interesting to see where they take things.

Back to the BAFTAs, I'm sure What Remains of Edith Finch winning Best Game will rub some the wrong way, with it winning over the likes of Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey and Horizon, especially with it not picking up any other awards on the night. I'm sure there'll be some debate over whether it warranted it over other games but it's a worthy winner, though I will admit with Hellblade winning heavily, I thought Ninja Theory's game would take it. They have been known to go left field at times with some of the winners but the game is a superb narrative experience, one of my favourite games from last year and it's good for Giant Sparrow to get the nod. I do wonder, now that it's been released on the Xbox One, if they'll bring it to the Switch at some point as I'm sure they could get it up and running relatively easily. I'd certainly double dip for it and would welcome seeing others getting a chance to play the experience on a Nintendo console.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bob said:

Surely every company has dedicated hardware departments? They aren't just going to sit around twiddling their thumbs for 2 years after a console launch, they'll all start work on the next one straight away.

For sure, which is what I was hinting at in my second paragraph.

I think that the only difference when compared to other console manufacturers is that Nintendo released the Switch just over a year ago, and chose a video game awards show to declare that they’re already hard at work on their next piece of hardware; as far as I’m aware, neither PlayStation or Xbox have publicly announced the PS5 or Xbox Two, or even stated that they’re hard at work on it.

Of course, these consoles are all on their way and are all being worked on to some degree right now, but I think that declaration by Takahashi is exciting just because Nintendo had such a hard time for quite a long while. This shows that they’re keen to move forward and get on with it.

2 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

At the risk of opening a can of worms (or even a new thread...) Where do Nintendo go from here? 

The Switch has been such a success and such a natural evolution of bringing their handheld and home console ideas together, what's next? Just an all round souped up Switch 2 with 4K gaming etc etc, back to a more traditional home console and handheld seperate business? VR?

Honestly, I can’t - and don’t - want to see Nintendo take two steps back by splitting their focus between both a handheld and home console again. You’re right: it was such a natural evolution of where they’ve been heading, and it’s paying off for them in spades. I could see them venturing off into other pockets of the market like they’re doing with Labo, and maybe dipping into VR, but I think - and hope - that they stick with the Switch, especially because I think splitting their divisions up again could be quite a turbulent process. 

• Like 1

To me a Switch revision would be the most obvious next step. Better specs and the option to buy one without the dock.

Edited by drahkon

My choice would be for Nintendo to keep the same model that's working for them at the moment, and to just keep improving it at their own pace.  I don't think it's like the Wii, which was popular for a certain time, and then not.  The Switch is just a genuinely good idea, and I don't think the appeal will wear off.  As Sony brings out the PlayStation 5, Nintendo might be able to make something that's similar in power to PS4.  Switch is not getting all multiplatform games at the moment, so there's no pressure to keep up.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

For sure, which is what I was hinting at in my second paragraph.

I think that the only difference when compared to other console manufacturers is that Nintendo released the Switch just over a year ago, and chose a video game awards show to declare that they’re already hard at work on their next piece of hardware; as far as I’m aware, neither PlayStation or Xbox have publicly announced the PS5 or Xbox Two, or even stated that they’re hard at work on it.

Of course, these consoles are all on their way and are all being worked on to some degree right now, but I think that declaration by Takahashi is exciting just because Nintendo had such a hard time for quite a long while. This shows that they’re keen to move forward and get on with it.

It's fairly standard for them to start on new hardware after the last one was released. It's just unusual to announce it so soon.

34 minutes ago, Ike said:

It's fairly standard for them to start on new hardware after the last one was released. It's just unusual to announce it so soon.

For sure, as I agreed with - and said - above. I think it being announced so soon, like I said above, just goes to show how keen Nintendo are. 

The big question is what will Sony and Microsoft do next. Do they concede the hybrid market to Nintendo and battle it out on the home console front or do their next consoles follow Nintendo's lead and become hybrids? As for Nintendo I think Switch 2 is the best option. Historically they have a 2 console cycle which they broke with Wii U and we saw how that panned out. Looking back it's strange they even called it Wii U as it was about the gamepad whereas the Wii was about the wiimote, different concepts but same name. No wonder people were confused.

5 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

The big question is what will Sony and Microsoft do next. Do they concede the hybrid market to Nintendo and battle it out on the home console front or do their next consoles follow Nintendo's lead and become hybrids? As for Nintendo I think Switch 2 is the best option. Historically they have a 2 console cycle which they broke with Wii U and we saw how that panned out. Looking back it's strange they even called it Wii U as it was about the gamepad whereas the Wii was about the wiimote, different concepts but same name. No wonder people were confused.

After the Vita, I imagine Sony would be very hesitant on trying to muscle in on the handheld side of the industry, even with a Hybrid console, and I would also imagine there's be a bit of a backlash if they have to lower the specs to account for a hybrid console.

"Dem Graphix!" tends to be a big selling point for the Sony/Microsoft audience.

Microsoft on the other hand seem to be focusing more on the PC side of gaming. So it'd be kinda strange to suddenly change tack to hybrid consoles.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

After the Vita, I imagine Sony would be very hesitant on trying to muscle in on the handheld side of the industry, even with a Hybrid console, and I would also imagine there's be a bit of a backlash if they have to lower the specs to account for a hybrid console.

"Dem Graphix!" tends to be a big selling point for the Sony/Microsoft audience.

Microsoft on the other hand seem to be focusing more on the PC side of gaming. So it'd be kinda strange to suddenly change tack to hybrid consoles.

It's interesting and you can bet there have been numerous meetings at Sony and Microsoft about their next console's because of the Switch's success. Right now Sony are bossing the home market so it would seem foolish to risk it all on taking on Switch, Microsoft on the over hand may see an opportunity to bridge the gap. They have the resources to build a much more powerfull Switch rival and could try and capture both markets 

Found this while sorting through my old consoles. Is it any good to anyone, or does club Nintendo not exist anymore?

First person to reply can have the code if they can make use of it. cf67a1857e2595b0173bd4fb5151c404.jpg

• Haha 4

Pretty sure those don't work anymore.
On the other hand, GIMME!
Wait a minute.....I've been duped!
  • Haha 1

Given the Joy-Cons shape it makes sense, but #prayeremoji for standard controls too.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This on the day I finally picked up the original Game Boy version of Wave Race from CeX to play on the SNES with the Super Game Boy :hehe:

I genuinely don't think I want anything more than a new Wave Race :love:

If they are making a new one I bet it's on the 3DS. Man, the meltdowns would be glorious. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weird 1

43 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

If they are making a new one I bet it's on the 3DS. Man, the meltdowns would be glorious. :D 

It would be disappointing but I'd still be happy to get it :grin:

I was always kinda gutted we never got more N64 remakes on 3DS like Starfox 64, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. F-Zero X 3D and Wave Race 64 3D were high up on my wishlist!

As you might recall from last year, dbrand had some major issues with their skin adhesive when it came to the Switch, causing them to pull out of production and go back to the drawing board.

Well, they’ve sorted that problem now: their Nintendo Switch skins will be available as of tomorrow (here). 

As you may remember from about a year ago, we decided against skinning the Nintendo Switch due to potential damage that could be caused by the removal of a skin.

Over the past year, we’ve been grinding away at RnD and have formulated a brand new adhesive that allows for full compatibility with the Nintendo Switch.

Edited by Julius Caesar

23 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

As you might recall from last year, dbrand had some major issues with their skin adhesive when it came to the Switch, causing them to pull out of production and go back to the drawing board.

Well, they’ve sorted that problem now: their Nintendo Switch skins will be available as of tomorrow (here). 

Oooh that's nice. Where can I get one