NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

On 31/12/2017 at 5:30 PM, Sméagol said:

Time to get hyped?

Rumors say that the date of the direct is the 11th of january. The less time to wait, the better!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was playing XC2 last night when the Switch froze on me again. Nothing but a black-screen (it’s on), the power button & home button menus pop up but the options they each provide do not function.

I get friend notifications etc flash up on the black screen but nothing else.

Last time I let the Switch battery die out and I then recharged it... that hasn’t worked this time so I’ve a Switch that’s on 100% charge with a permanent black screen... no idea what to do.

Any thoughts other than send it to Nintendo and no doubt lose all my saves etc because they aren’t aware it’s 2018?

Definitely sounds like something is wrong with your Switch; never heard of that happening!

You could try forcing a reset by removing the micro SD card, or by holding down the power button.  Or you can let the battery drain.  Either way I’d definitely consider sending it back.

14 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Definitely sounds like something is wrong with your Switch; never heard of that happening!

You could try forcing a reset by removing the micro SD card, or by holding down the power button.  Or you can let the battery drain.  Either way I’d definitely consider sending it back.

If I remove the micro SD, will that risk wiping anything that’s saved to it?

@Kav your Switch should power off if you hold down the power button for long enough. Mine has also frozen a couple of times and I remember having to hold down the power button for ages before it would actually do anything.

Edited by RedShell
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kav said:

If I remove the micro SD, will that risk wiping anything that’s saved to it?

Shouldn’t do.  But try holding down the power button first (it takes a while).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

(it takes a while).

I wonder why they designed it like that. Obviously they want to avoid people accidentally powering down their Switch, but you’d think the standard hold down power for 3 or so seconds would be long enough to prevent that. :hmm:

• Like 1

Thanks @RedShell @Dcubed The holding the power button did the trick!

...but you are right, that was an inordinately long time, well in excess of 10 seconds, perhaps close to 20 before it powered down!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah mine has done this too a couple of times. Holding down the power button for a really long time always does the trick. 

Chromecast takes ages as well. Like 30 seconds of holding down a button to reset it. It's a very weird design choice!

I've had that issue a few of times. The force power down (I believe it's 12 seconds) has always worked.

Full press release

REDMOND, Wash., Jan. 4, 2018 – Nintendo Switch has become the fastest-selling home video game system in U.S. history. The home console that players can take wherever they go launched March 3, 2017, and in 10 months has sold more than 4.8 million units in the United States, according to Nintendo’s internal sales figures. That’s the highest total for the first 10 months of any home video game system in U.S. history, surpassing Nintendo’s own Wii system, which was the previous record holder with more than 4 million units sold during the same timeframe.

“Fans across the country have experienced the joy of playing their favorite games at home or on the go,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO. “Now that many more people have received Nintendo Switch systems for the holidays, we look forward to bringing them fun new surprises in 2018 and beyond.”

A strong library of games continues to fuel momentum for Nintendo Switch. In the U.S., more than 60 percent of Nintendo Switch owners have Super Mario Odyssey, and over 55 percent own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Not only are these games system-sellers, but they’re also two of the highest-rated games in history. Nintendo Switch owners also possess the fun, competitive games Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 at rates of more than 50 percent and 20 percent, respectively.

More than 300 games created by third-party developers have already launched for Nintendo Switch. These include big-name brands like FIFA 18 from Electronic Arts, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Just Dance 2018 from Ubisoft, Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition from Mojang, L.A. Noire from Rockstar Games, NBA 2K18 from 2K Games, Sonic Mania from SEGA, Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers from Capcom, Rocket League from Psyonix and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and DOOM from Bethesda. Nintendo Switch has also received strong support from indie developers, with a steady stream of favorites like SteamWorld Dig 2 from Image & Form, Golf Story from Sidebar Games, Overcooked Special Edition from Team17 Digital Ltd and Stardew Valley from Chucklefish LTD.

This year, Nintendo Switch owners can look forward to Nintendo-published games like Kirby Star Allies, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and a new game starring Yoshi. Fans can also expect continued support from major publishers such as EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, SEGA, Take 2 and Bethesda, plus a growing catalog of quality content from indie developers.

Remember that Nintendo Switch features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/switch/.

Of special interest is that second to last passage about continued support form major publishers "EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, SEGA, Take 2 and Bethesda".

• Like 3

Awesome sales so far, as that's not even because lots of casuals/non traditional gamers are rushing out to buy the system. Gamers want to play on the system, and that's a really great thing to celebrate.

In terms of 3rd party support, I really hope we get a couple of ports of last gen games. In particular I would love to see GTA 5 and Fallout: New Vegas on Switch. A couple of new exclusives  too and lots of indie titles and I'm all set.

38 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

In terms of 3rd party support, I really hope we get a couple of ports of last gen games. In particular I would love to see GTA 5 and Fallout: New Vegas on Switch. A couple of new exclusives  too and lots of indie titles and I'm all set.

So you basically want everything :D

Great sales. Looking forward to what 2018 has in store for the Switch :peace:

• Like 1

Just now, drahkon said:

So you basically want everything :D

Great sales. Looking forward to what 2018 has in store for the Switch :peace:

Put simply! I do think downports of current gen titles are a bit problematic though and I'm not fussed on those. Storage becomes a big issue with those titles especially as the smallest Switch cartridge is already more expensive than a blu-ray. That's before the cost and challenge of downporting a PS4 game....

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but my Nintendo Switch console doesn't charge very easily anymore, neither from the dock nor in handheld mode. Is this likely to be a problem with the charger or the console itself, and should I contact Nintendo?

Edit: The Switch doesn't work in the dock at all, so must be a problem with the console itself :(

Edited by Tim B
More information

Is there a way to be friends with someone who only has a 3ds and transfer him my gold points, or buy games for him via my account (using discounts)?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but my Nintendo Switch console doesn't charge very easily anymore, neither from the dock nor in handheld mode. Is this likely to be a problem with the charger or the console itself, and should I contact Nintendo?
Edit: The Switch doesn't work in the dock at all, so must be a problem with the console itself

Sounds like it’s the console, hopefully just the USB C connector, regardless, your Switch will need a trip to Nintendo’s treatment centre for disease control.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Is there a way to be friends with someone who only has a 3ds and transfer him my gold points, or buy games for him via my account (using discounts)?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

In short, no. Maybe in the future.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So, a tour of the 5.0 update for the Switch has potentially been uploaded to YouTube, and will supposedly launch in February, according to the potential leak. 

Key features of this purported update are:

• Custom themes/theme shop.

• Cloud storage.

• Game sorting.

• Party chat.

• Media apps (YouTube, Twitch, etc.).

• Virtual Console.

• System-level microphone support.

• Internet browser.

However, there are some discrepancies: 

• The YouTube logo seen in the video is outdated.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a digital purchase, which takes up 6.8 GB of system memory. However, as seen in the storage menu, only 2 GB of system memory, less than 3.2 GB of SD card memory and 0.9 GB of cloud storage is taken up (totalling 6.1 GB). Some have argued that the game might have been archived, but there is no icon to download the game back to the system (note: this could be something which changes with such an update).  

• Such a massive update which ticks a lot of the fans’ wants across the board would seem a strange move from a company as conservative in decision making as Nintendo (at least when it comes to this sort of thing).

I’ll believe it when I see it. There are certainly a lot of things I’d love to see which were in this video (namely Virtual Console), but at the very least, this person seems to have a very good idea of how to map out a convincing Switch UI in the event it turns out to be a fake. 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 2

On 04/01/2018 at 11:50 PM, Tim B said:

Edit: The Switch doesn't work in the dock at all, so must be a problem with the console itself :(

Have you tried cleaning out the Switch USB C port? It might just be dirty. Try and scrape it with a toothpick and see if that helps :)

@Julius Caesar it definitely seems fake to me, there is just too much going on. I could believe it if the update just gave us one of the features we've been clamouring for but to provide all of the features people want in one go is just too fanciful to believe. It would be a major overhaul to the Switch OS and I just don't see Nintendo doing it.

Yeah, most likely fake. But it's a good job, it really looks like the Switch menu and acts as it as well.