NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Eh? Am I missing something? Pokémon wasn't even mentioned.

Just connecting the dots, if they're confident of selling 20 million Switches in 12 months they'll need at least one huge hitter, quite likely Pokemon.

33 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Just connecting the dots, if they're confident of selling 20 million Switches in 12 months they'll need at least one huge hitter, quite likely Pokemon.

The console should see growth. The 2nd year of any successful platform will almost always outstrip year 1. Wii U even did better in its second year. 

If they are on course to do 15 mil year 1 I can see why year two they have forecasted 20 mil. 

19 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I have to say, I have nothing but faith in Kimishima when it comes to Nintendo's sales projections. 

Even then, though, 20 million consoles sold in only their second complete fiscal year with the system is nuts; in comparison, Sony only achieved this with the PS4 in its third complete fiscal year, which ended March 31st of this year, and the numbers for PS4 sales already seem to be in something of a decline, with “only” 10 million consoles being sold from May through earlier this month. 

I think that there are actually a few ways in which they could achieve this lofty goal, but I agree with @Ronnie: the most straightforward way to achieve this is through the launch of the core Pokémon RPG on Switch. That, coupled with no major supply issues and a price reduction of some 10%-20%, could certainly push the console to some 20 million sales, so long as momentum is kept up elsewhere as has been the case these past 9 months.

Another alternative for launch of Pokémon on Switch would be the introduction of a budget option mini Switch (smaller screen, no dock included, etc.) for around £150 (similar to how the 2DS was introduced as a budget option for the 3DS family when Pokémon X and Y came along), as well as a 10% or so reduction in the original Switch model.

However, this could certainly be achieved without Pokémon. As @liger05 pointed out, most consoles of course will do better in their second fiscal year, though I think it’s worth pointing out that the Wii U actually did worse in its second fiscal year from the little research that I just did to check. The already announced console exclusive titles for 2018 - such as Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Kirby Star Allies and Project Octopath Traveller - seems to suggest that Nintendo and third parties will continue to support the console with tentpole releases on a regular basis throughout the console’s second year, so I think that there are plenty of methods which could be used to achieve their ambitions.

43 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Oh, OK. My personal guess would be Smash 4 port. Personally, I hope Pokémon is out in 2019. Sun/Moon have a hell of a lot of moments which gave me the impression that it got pushed to meet a deadline.

And let's face it, it had the same kind of announcement as Metroid Prime 4 (It exists). I'd be surprised if it made 2018.

Smash or Animal Crossing gets my vote. Both of these titles have the ability to boost hardware sales. 

Like Glen-i, I hope that Pokemon is a 2019 title. I want them to shake the formula up the best they can and that will take time.

I really hope the next Smash Bros game is a brand new iteration and not just Super Smash Bros Deluxe. Sadly, I think I can see them getting away with putting out the latter, though the former would do better.

• Thanks 1

F-Zero and WaveRace = system sellers ;)

Smash bros and Animal Crossing get my vote too. Will be interesting to see if it has legs like the 3DS or drops off like the Wii U. Keep that software coming Ninty.

Smash OR animal crossing? They’re both coming out in 2018. They need a few big games to launch their paid for service; these two are a perfect fit. And a mario sports title. 

Yeah, with regards to getting Pokémon in 2018, I agree with @Hero-of-Time and @Glen-i: as much as I would love to get the game/s next year, I’d much rather wait until 2019 if it means that the game will be objectively great, and not just better in comparison to previous entries. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we got our first glimpses at it in 2018 at E3 with a teaser/trailer, though. That announcement at E3 earlier this year could have easily been used in the Pokémon Direct a week or so before which revealed Pokkén Tournament DX, as well as Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, so the announcement being saved for E3 suggests to me that they really want to push this game out there with regards to consumer awareness. 

Also gives Nintendo time to come up with a budget Switch option and to introduce a price reduction to the base model.

20 minutes ago, Tim B said:

I really hope the next Smash Bros game is a brand new iteration and not just Super Smash Bros Deluxe. Sadly, I think I can see them getting away with putting out the latter, though the former would do better.

While I understand this mindset, the sheer amount of time it takes to make a new Smash Bros has become astronomical. And let's face it, after MK8D and Pokken DX overtaking their original WiiU versions, it makes so much sense to capitalise on Smash 4 which is one of the most loved WiiU games.

If Smash on Switch comes out sometime next year it'd be 4 years since Smash 4, which is plenty of time to make a brand new game, built on the previous engine.

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

If Smash on Switch comes out sometime next year it'd be 4 years since Smash 4, which is plenty of time to make a brand new game, built on the previous engine.

Are you assuming that Ninty have been working on a new one since Smash 4? I don't know about that. You have to remember that Sakurai put himself through hell developing that game. I'd be surprised to hear they've been making a 5th game for 2018.

• Like 1

I could see them releasing that Story Mode that we never got for Smash 4 as part of a Smash 4 Deluxe for Switch.

I always disagreed with Sakurai’s reasoning for that getting cut out...

I really, really hope that we get Virtual Console sooner rather than later too. Smash 4 Deluxe + Melee is a deal I’d be happy to pay for :D

Edited by Julius Caesar

45 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

I could see them releasing that Story Mode that we never got as part of a Smash 4 Deluxe. I always disagreed with Sakurai’s reasoning for that getting cut out...

Man, as much as I think 4 is an all round improvement over previous Smashes. An adventure in the same vein as Brawl's would single handedly elevate it even higher. If only for the strange team combinations we see in cutscenes. Little Mac and Duck Hunt Duo team up to unleash the power of NES on the bad guys, but oh no! Something goes wrong, but right at the last second, they're saved by Cloud because why the hell not?

Or even just have Palutena and Bayonetta having to begrudgingly team up to save the day with pole dancing or something.

If only...

• Haha 1

I know that this isn't Switch related, but most people are likely to see it here.

A reminder! Your Miiverse post history download links will expire on 31/12/17, so make sure you check your emails and actually download them now while you still can!

Just been admiring some cherished Miiverse memories of mine, man, I miss it so much... It would've been so amazing if Switch had it :( 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If Pokemon hits Switch in 2018 that would be some development speed and subsequent pay-off in hardware. Massive if they can do it.

Having delivered BoTW and Odyssey, I anticipate a flood of B-tier licenses from Nintendo in 2018. Kirby and Yoshi already point to this and I think we’ll see Pikmin 4 and Animal Crossing at the end of the year.

I do think we’ll see something from Next Level Games and Retro in 2018. I’d guess Luigi’s Mansion 3 from NLG and I’d love a 3D DKC from Retro.

I really hope we see more Deluxe versions of WiiU games. Super Mario 3D world is a great fit for  Switch as is Wii Sports. Ad-Hoc bowling/tennis competitions? Sign me up!

I agree with most of what you said tapedeck, but Animal Crossing isn't a B-tier franchise. I think it'll be a huge seller and will go some way to shifting the hardware numbers Nintendo are expecting in the next financial year. 

I think a Smash port is pretty much a certainty in the first six months of the year and I think third parties will be bringing big properties across so I don't worry that they can't keep up the sales momentum but I don't expect them to have anything of the quality of Mario or Zelda, I just hope they can keep up the consistent releases.

I know it will have been asked before, but as I'm getting near using up my Switch floppydiskesque capacity I could do with a MicroSD card (especially as I got LA Noire for Christmas and cannae install it).

Not really got an idea of size at the moment, but just hoping for some recs from you folks.

Ta!

13 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I know it will have been asked before, but as I'm getting near using up my Switch floppydiskesque capacity I could do with a MicroSD card (especially as I got LA Noire for Christmas and cannae install it).

Not really got an idea of size at the moment, but just hoping for some recs from you folks.

Ta!

Well, if it's any help, I just got a 200GB one, it was around 70 quid. If you're planning on going mostly physical for your games, that should be enough for any downloads and eShop games you pick up.

Unfortunately, the 256 GB cards break past the 100 quid mark. And that was too rich for my blood.

Schmowzow, I wasn't thinking of that much size/cost.  I assume like the PS4 you can delete and redownload titles at a later date, right?

40 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Schmowzow, I wasn't thinking of that much size/cost.  I assume like the PS4 you can delete and redownload titles at a later date, right?

Yeah, SD cards have kinda stopped going down in price lately. You can just delete and redownload later though. I believe the option is called "Archive Software" which keeps your save data but deletes the software.

128 GB might be for you in that case.

EDIT: On a side note, I want to use the word "Schmowzow" more.

Edited by Glen-i

What in God's name is Schmowzow?

I don't want to google it. I want an explanation from you guys.

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 2

Just now, drahkon said:

What in God's name is Schmowzow?

I don't want to google it. I want an explanation from you guys.

A minor typo

Sooo...what exactly does the expression mean, then?

That video is not very helpful :p