NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

And my original point was about how names are easier to remember/give out than 12 digit numbers.  It was you that decided that brought Sony into it, seemingly to deflect.  Shall we just move on anyway and agree Switch friend system is an improvement, but as with any and all systems there is room for greater improvement.

You pointed out an annoyance, I suggested a positive to the system they've implemented, that's all. No accusation needed, I was in no way trying to deflect.

I have had to set up profiles for PSN and Xbox Live for myself and my nephews in the past year or so and most usernames I could think up where taken, so I ended up having to compromise and add numbers or extra letters to the end of them or use one of their suggested alternatives, which I find just as hard to remember as a Friend code. So I don't personally mind FC's, but ideally with the Switch, they should let us search for users via username as well as by Friend code. Similar to how you can search for a user by their profile name or their user ID on Steam.

Another thing Nintendo could do is set up a hub site similar to the Mario Maker Bookmark site they made a few years ago for that game, so we can just copy and paste the URL to our Switch profile page and people can add you from there.

Also some form of communication between friends would be nice too, because right now it's all a little pointless if you can't even send an invite to a friend for a game of Splatoon 2 or something through the console itself.

• Like 1

A leaked EA document is currently doing the rounds and it appears that a Nintendo Direct is slated for January. Obviously that's an easy call given the history of when Directs are held but it's nice to kinda have it confirmed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If EA are jumping on board, that'd be great - I'd like to play the BioWare RPGs.  Hopefully Switch is too popular to ignore.

5 minutes ago, Grazza said:

If EA are jumping on board, that'd be great - I'd like to play the BioWare RPGs.  Hopefully Switch is too popular to ignore.

Don't get too excited for the AAA support. The leak was from their indie game Fe.

22 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Who gets the money in the end, though? The developers shouldn't get money based on where a digital game was bought, it's more likely that they get the same amount of money no matter the shop, as long as the game is sold. I think it's equivalent to buying the games physically. If the same game is more expensive at another shop, the difference in price just goes to the shop and not the developer.

This is just me guessing, though.

The developer/publisher will get a % of the sales dependent on their agreement with Nintendo. So it will be less if the game is being purchased from a storefront with a lower price. The split between the developer and publisher (where applicable) could also factor in on the final amount. Say, if there are different publishers in different regions, or special agreements in place dependent on location sold.

• Like 1

Reggie said a few weeks ago they'd be talking about their 2018 plans early in the year so January seems a safe bet

Regarding the username/friend code discussion I much prefer the PS4.

What I dislike most about the Switch is everyone just using their first names so if you have 7 people calling themselves 'Chris' then you have no idea who is who. Also, whilst it's great you can change the displayed name whenever you want, if someone is constantly changing it then you would have no idea who the fuck they are each time the come online with a different name! What do you do then look at their profile and try and figure out who they are by their friend code?! (there might be something else it shows in their profile, don't know).

It would be nice to be able to change you're PSN user name, maybe once every 6 months or something, but I still much prefer that system over Nintendo's.

To be honest I didn't even realise Nintendo still used friend codes - isn't there a Nintendo Account you use now? Can you not add people using that? If not then there's friend codes, Nintendo account ID, display name all being different - seems kinda confusing to me!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, will' said:

The developer/publisher will get a % of the sales dependent on their agreement with Nintendo. So it will be less if the game is being purchased from a storefront with a lower price. The split between the developer and publisher (where applicable) could also factor in on the final amount. Say, if there are different publishers in different regions, or special agreements in place dependent on location sold.

That might very well be. Hopefully, this will not be a problem though. As someone else mentioned, getting the game for half the price from a different region may mean that double the amount of people will be able to get it. Hence, the developer gets the same amount of money and the game sells double the amount it would otherwise. There's a lot of assumptions here but I hope this is true. I feel like I've bought more games because they are cheaper.

Edited by MindFreak

1 hour ago, Eddage said:

Regarding the username/friend code discussion I much prefer the PS4.

What I dislike most about the Switch is everyone just using their first names so if you have 7 people calling themselves 'Chris' then you have no idea who is who. Also, whilst it's great you can change the displayed name whenever you want, if someone is constantly changing it then you would have no idea who the fuck they are each time the come online with a different name! What do you do then look at their profile and try and figure out who they are by their friend code?! (there might be something else it shows in their profile, don't know).

It would be nice to be able to change you're PSN user name, maybe once every 6 months or something, but I still much prefer that system over Nintendo's.

To be honest I didn't even realise Nintendo still used friend codes - isn't there a Nintendo Account you use now? Can you not add people using that? If not then there's friend codes, Nintendo account ID, display name all being different - seems kinda confusing to me!

That's the most baffling thing. They brought in the Nintendo Network ID on Wii U, which was a username rather than a friend code, just like everyone wanted. God knows why they didn't just keep those going - instead introducing a separate Nintendo Account, which you could link that ID to, and instead of just using the Nintendo Account or the Nintendo Network ID, they thought the best solution would be to introduce a hard to remember friend code rather than a username or search/add by email address/name!

It's peculiar because the Switch can obviously access the NNID/Nintendo Account, it can find/suggest your Wii U friends and friends from the mobile apps, so what's the need for a friend code as well? Nintendo gonna Nintendo, I guess!

• Like 2

I prefer the friendcodes. They're much easier to typ in, and I never need to know mine from the top of my head. I posted it on this forum, and that's where I'll point to. The numerous times my names has been butchered will attest to the user friendliness of a simple number.

Edit:

To add to that: like someone already mentioned, one problem is people changing their usernames every so often.. I can't remember from some of them who they are on the forum.

And regarding the region thing: generally I don't care what other people do, but it's too much of an hassle for me personally. But I will get pissed if South Africa starts seeing localization efforts that Europe does not.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I prefer the friendcodes. They're much easier to typ in, and I never need to know mine from the top of my head. I posted it on this forum, and that's where I'll point to. The numerous times my names has been butchered will attest to the user friendliness of a simple number.

OK, the odd typo here and there, but I fail to see how anyone can misspell Sméagol that badly. But then again, whenever I doubt the internet, it always manages to amaze me.

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

OK, the odd typo here and there, but I fail to see how anyone can misspell Sméagol that badly. But then again, whenever I doubt the internet, it always manages to amaze me.

It was more or less a joke, but most people don't bother with the accent.

The numerous times my names has been butchered will attest to the user friendliness of a simple number.

Tell me about it!

Yup, this basically sums up the problem - there's no permanence to Nintendo's display name system. Well, except permanent friend codes, but nobody remembers people by them.

Now now, speak for yourself, Mr. 5442-9012-6148. I'm sure 3034-9087-7910 will agree with me.
...right?

That’s right Sr. 6538-1324-9657. Now I heard, purely conjecture, but wanted to know the truth behind the rumors that Dr. 4213-6453-7564 slept with 3245-6453-8566. Who knows?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

Now now, speak for yourself, Mr. 5442-9012-6148. I'm sure 3034-9087-7910 will agree with me.

...right?

You address me by my proper title!

• Like 1

I am not a number!

...also, what's all this Friend Code talk about?

I mentioned how someone asked me for mine so I came here to give it to them but realised mine is still a dummy one I used when setting up the field and wouldn't have this issue if I could use a username (because I can remember that more than a number).

• Thanks 1

Ah, fair point. :smile:

My opinion on it would be that although the number part isn't memorable I suppose at least there are multiple ways for people to add you, if you are already friends on another Nintendo platform, so I like that aspect but I agree that it would be so much simpler to just have the user name to deal with.

But so far I haven't had any issues with using it even though it could be better, it's nice to see that it has improved a bit on the Switch. :peace:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyway, in another attempt to move the conversation on, I'd just like to say that the first... almost year that the Switch has had so far has been simply phenomenal, to the point that me even mentioning it at this point just seems like reiterating a point which has been stated a lot recently around the internet and indeed in the world in general thanks to Nintendo actually properly advertising this time. :p (and the console itself being well worth picking up)

Just the other night I saw an advert for Arms... and I thought to myself "why are you advertising Arms when there are so many other titles out there now?" then I thought again, because I'm pretty sure I remember seeing an advert for at least every major first-party Nintendo game but soon after the console launched, Arms perhaps seemed forgotten about even though it was advertised, so now with all the extra content and events which seem to be happening, I can understand why they would want to boost the visibility of the game. :D

Let's hope for equally strong Christmas sales but I get the feeling, that really won't be a problem at all.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 12:04 PM, londragon said:

Hey, welcome back.

Xenoblade 2 is going to be a hard one to beat, but if shooters are your thing I'd go for Splatoon 2.  Did you play the original on the Wii U?

Yes, I did, I loved it, but in the last few days I have decided that I will go for Xenoblade 2 and then I will see what next (to many games to choose from :).

• Like 1