NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Switch did better than the others at Christmas, but mostly because its the first Christmas vs the 4th :heh: 

• Like 3

I just watched @Dcubed fight a Great Maccao on Monster Hunter XX's demo with an Arcade Stick.

It was entertaining. Yeah, let's go with entertaining.

• Haha 1

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Switch did better than the others at Christmas, but mostly because its the first Christmas vs the 4th :heh: 
Tru dat. I might buy a Switch, but I'm not going to buy a second PS4.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I just watched @Dcubed fight a Great Maccao on Monster Hunter XX's demo with an Arcade Stick.

It was entertaining. Yeah, let's go with entertaining.

Video please. :grin:

12 hours ago, Ashley said:

Pretty sure during the Wii U's first Christmas that it got outsold by the PS3 and 360, which were in their 6th and 7th years.

15 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Doom on Switch now seems to have motion controls! Looks like they took the feedback to heart! :D 

Doesn't look like it was what people were expecting/hoping for.

Update: Nintendo World Report clarified that the motion controls aren’t for gyro aiming. Instead, you can shake the right Joy-Con to do melee attacks or Glory Kills. The setting only seems to appear if you’re playing with the Joy-Con.

• Sad 1

Switch should kill it in holiday season. In the US it certainly will. It has the software lineup to sell gangbusters. 

8 minutes ago, liger05 said:

Switch should kill it in holiday season. In the US it certainly will. It has the software lineup to sell gangbusters. 

To be fair, while the other consoles don't have their own killer exclusive, they do have a great 3rd party line up of titles. These types of games typically sell well during the holiday period and help push sales of the consoles. Call of Duty is returning to it's roots, Battlefront 2 will be riding the Last Jedi hype train, Assassin's Creed is returning after a years break and Wolfenstein is a sequel to a critically acclaimed game.

Either way, I think no matter the console you own, it's going to be a good Christmas for gamers. :peace:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

soooo.... I just connected my right Joy-con to my PC, and this took me by surprise! Anyone knew the home button lights up?

Today is the one year anniversary of the reveal of the Switch. I.e. one year ago, we got this:

Quite the year!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What's perhaps most impressive is the fact that every game in that initial reveal video is now either out or almost out within a year on from that reveal and certainly within the first year of the actual release of the console. :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Pretty sure during the Wii U's first Christmas that it got outsold by the PS3 and 360, which were in their 6th and 7th years.

We don't talk about the Wii U ;)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Today is the one year anniversary of the reveal of the Switch. I.e. one year ago, we got this:

Quite the year!

I remember that day well. The reveal video seemed to impress pretty much everyone. Great video and a smart way to reveal a console. I remember purposefully not reading any text on a YouTube so when the Switch name first popped up for me it was in the actual video.

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

What's perhaps most impressive is the fact that every game in that initial reveal video is now either out or almost out within a year on from that reveal and certainly within the first year of the actual release of the console. :)

Nintendo's short reveal > release schedule for (most of) their games is exciting. I'm fully expecting a few reveals in a December/January Direct that'll outline 2018. 

January is a cert, a few announcements, virtual console and online set up too!

Hopefully another (and much better) system update as well but unlikely

• Like 1

One year since the reveal of the Switch name and some games that said may not be released (but were) and then three months until some actual details. That was a weird unveiling. Worked out though!

• Like 1

Is Skyrim Zeldaesque?

I'm looking for another single player epic and assume this will tick the box?

8 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

Is Skyrim Zeldaesque?

I'm looking for another single player epic and assume this will tick the box?

Depends... There are no real puzzles in the game but it's more about discovering places and caves to get equipment that is stronger than what you've already got. Then it's much more about combat and fighting. There is also more story to it than in any Zelda game and lots of interesting side-quests.

It's really a good game all in all.

20171020_115836srske.png

Fantastic news for people who like physical games! For those who don't know, these guys take digital only games and give them limited physical releases. They've been doing this for PS4 games for a while now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thats welcome news, hopefully their editions aren't as limited for Switch though. What titles do you reckon will be coming? Fast RMX would be nice.

It's kind of amazing that it's only been a year since the Switch was revealed, there has been so much going on these last 12 months. 

While nice, I think their boxart tends to look cheap for most of their releases. Also the limited runs and customs charges makes it sound like a headache.

41 minutes ago, Ike said:

While nice, I think their boxart tends to look cheap for most of their releases. Also the limited runs and customs charges makes it sound like a headache.

They are called Limited Run for a reason. :p As for the box arts, I agree but they do produce some fantastic ones. The Master System version of Wonder Boy is amazing.

37 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I feel like I hear more complaints than praise for them these days.

The two main complaints I've heard about them are discs coming loose during shipping and items quickly selling out. The first issue won't be a thing with Switch releases due to cartridges but the second is hard to get around due to scalpers snapping up loads of copies and LRG not being able to produce a massive amount.

52 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Thats welcome news, hopefully their editions aren't as limited for Switch though. What titles do you reckon will be coming? Fast RMX would be nice.

I imagine Switch releases will go for an even higher price on the secondary market. I can't see LRG changing the way they work. Their games will no doubt remain limited time products. They sell out stupidly fast due to gamers wanting physical copies, collectors wanting them for their collection and scalpers buying them up to sell them on for a high price.

Got a Switch just over a month ago, it's a fucking nightmare getting one in this country. A couple failures at the now infamous lottery draws to buy one at the big department stores, missing out on a cheap used one by 5 fucking minutes because I was being a nice boyfriend winning my girlfriend a prize from a UFO machine, missing out on Yodobashi getting a fuck load in just before my lunch break at work and not realising half way into my lunch, making it too late to bail for one and get back in time for my class.

Then I found an absolute mint used one for 1000 yen less (about £7) than the RRP at a Geo and grabbed it immediately, despite finding it kind of suspicious. Absolutely no problem with the thing, and I've played with it for a ludicrous amount of time since then. Only done TV play for parties here when we get MK8 on the go. Fucking lovely little console.

Oh, and I'm still alive. I'll get back on here more often.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 19/10/2017 at 3:28 PM, Glen-i said:

My interest in Doom now exists. Good motion controls can do that with pretty any game for me.

Really? Motion controls that you can’t turn off would stop me buying a game. Call me old fashioned but if I can’t sit perfectly still while playing a game it isn’t for me. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Really? Motion controls that you can’t turn off would stop me buying a game. Call me old fashioned but if I can’t sit perfectly still while playing a game it isn’t for me. 

Waggle is annoying but motion aiming in Splatoon for instance is brilliant and is as close to replicating the mouse and keyboard control that shooters are ideally played with. It's subtle movements, you're not waving your hands about.

• Like 1