NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I was at Argos last night (they have one new in the local Sainsburys) and on a whim I thought I would check to see if they have any Switches in stock. Nope. And none in any of the Argos' (Argi?) for a 50 mile radius.

How is this possible? How can they still be out of stock everywhere?

Weird. Here in Norway there is absolutely no shortage. There is about 10-20 Switches in every major electronics retailer. Why do you reckon the shortage is so big in the UK?

26 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Weird. Here in Norway there is absolutely no shortage. There is about 10-20 Switches in every major electronics retailer. Why do you reckon the shortage is so big in the UK?

Actual prominent TV advertising for starters. Pretty sure the Switch has more UK adverts than the WiiU had at this point.

Also, Ninty consoles have sold horribly here for yonks, I wouldn't be surprised if we were low on the priority list when it came to distributing consoles.

Edited by Glen-i

I was in Game on Friday and the sales guy said they have record pre orders for Mario Odyssey . Not bad considering how many Switches have been sold.

5 hours ago, Clownferret said:

I was in Game on Friday and the sales guy said they have record pre orders for Mario Odyssey . Not bad considering how many Switches have been sold.

It will have an insane attach rate. 

They need to get as much advertising as possible around Christmas time, this could be a huge end of year for them sales wise. One of the highest rated Zelda games ever, a (likely) amazing Mario game, Arms, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Skyrim, Doom etc all on a fantastic device that's both a home console and a portable. The sales pitch writes itself.

• Like 1

I keep thinking about getting the One Piece Unlimited World Red re-release on Switch but its so expensive! £54.99 on eShop and around £45 physical. More than I'm willing to pay for a new game but theres no way I'm paying that for a re-release.

• Like 1

I ended up modding my Switch and Joy-cons. And man, am I happy :D. I love those SNES-colored buttons, and it really fits well with the transparent shells. Took a lot of time and had a few problems on the way though, but everything worked well in the end.

DLZ8SvbW4AE1GH0?format=jpg

• Like 12

On 04/10/2017 at 5:31 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Here's a good and positive article about the Switch and its road to Christmas from Games Radar.

Article

Very good read.

@Ronnie It was surprisingly easy actually. Just follow online tutorials and take your time and it should all go as well as it did for me :).

But I did have some problems though. I ended up screwing a lot of the screws on the motherboard in the controllers too hard. That made the joy-con useless and I actually thought I had ruined the whole thing. But after loosening the screws it all worked nicely. And I also attached one of the ribbon cables from the joy-con slide (the one with the indicator-LEDs) too loose in the controller. That resulted in a controller that would function as usual, but wouldn't "click"/pair with the Switch as an attached controller. Had to open it up again and pop it in a second time, but after you've done it once, it's pretty straightforward. And it's very intresting to see what's on the inside and how it's all connected!

All in all the transparent shells are in really good quality, and I can tell the molds are from the same factory as Nintendo's own. Every single detail is there, so it's pretty easy to see that. 

I think I ended up paying £45 for both the joy-cons and the switch back cover, and also the Switch/Nintendo kit with the tri-wing screwdriver and stuff. All in all good deal, and I'm really pleased with the result :D. So now I have a set with transparent controllers, and a set with the original red + blue. 

DLcSBScWAAAqPHh.jpg:large

Edited by ArtMediocre
  • Like 2

@ArtMediocre that looks absolutely incredible. 

Nintendo need to get all over this as an official release. The colours are good, but they're already getting boring when you see stuff like this!! 

• Thanks 1

http://www.nintenderos.com/2017/10/nintendo-habla-de-lo-que-han-aprendido-de-los-errores-cometidos-con-wii-u-y-como-escuchan-a-sus-fans/

pretty sure this has been discussed already, but a little over 6 months into the switches life (so about 10% of an average lifespan) how do people think it is going compared to the Wii U?

The menu issue isn't one that I considered too much, I tended to use the quickstart, but on the occassions I wanted to play a different game so had to go to the main menu straight away from boot... it did irk me a little. One thing I loved with the GC was the speedy load times, I don't recall load times being a major issue on the wii either, but the wii u is a bit slow - is the switch really that nice and quick? and for multiplatform owners, how does it compare to the other two consoles in that regard?

From the outside looking in, I think it looks good, Zelda for early adopters, Mario Kart 8, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey soon, obviously reasonable 3rd party support and indies to fill in the gaps. I feel Nintendo are doing a good job as a first party, not just for consumers by releasing a few titles, but also for 3rd parties by not saturating the market. I definitely have a feeling they are holding titles back, maybe refining them, but never the less, just holding them to fill any holes in the schedule that may open up in the future.

I'm wanting to wait out till this time next year before buying into a switch, but mainly splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey are making that a tougher call than it otherwise would be!

24 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

http://www.nintenderos.com/2017/10/nintendo-habla-de-lo-que-han-aprendido-de-los-errores-cometidos-con-wii-u-y-como-escuchan-a-sus-fans/

pretty sure this has been discussed already, but a little over 6 months into the switches life (so about 10% of an average lifespan) how do people think it is going compared to the Wii U?

The menu issue isn't one that I considered too much, I tended to use the quickstart, but on the occassions I wanted to play a different game so had to go to the main menu straight away from boot... it did irk me a little. One thing I loved with the GC was the speedy load times, I don't recall load times being a major issue on the wii either, but the wii u is a bit slow - is the switch really that nice and quick? and for multiplatform owners, how does it compare to the other two consoles in that regard?

From the outside looking in, I think it looks good, Zelda for early adopters, Mario Kart 8, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey soon, obviously reasonable 3rd party support and indies to fill in the gaps. I feel Nintendo are doing a good job as a first party, not just for consumers by releasing a few titles, but also for 3rd parties by not saturating the market. I definitely have a feeling they are holding titles back, maybe refining them, but never the less, just holding them to fill any holes in the schedule that may open up in the future.

I'm wanting to wait out till this time next year before buying into a switch, but mainly splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey are making that a tougher call than it otherwise would be!

Give in and get a Switch for Christmas with Super Mario Odyssey and it will be the most wonderful time of the year :hehe:

Also, Switch really is that quick :grin:

My console is currently in the dock sleeping but if I want to jump back into the game I was playing, I just have to lift it out and I'm straight in instantly. I can then suspend the game any time, put the Switch to sleep and slip it back into the dock just as quickly.. or move the action to the TV.

I love it :love:

• Like 2

Switch is amazing.  It's one of those consoles where I feel you have to be along for the ride.  Sure, it costs more money to be on board now, but there's just been so much to keep up with.

The interface is indeed very fast and intuitive.  It basically does everything I want, and it's easy to work out how to do it.

I think the Switch will probably click for me in the next year or so when I get more games I want for it. I had originally thought that it could possibly replace the PS4 and PC for certain third party games due to the portability aspect but it just didn't seem to turn out that way, I still buy most of those games elsewhere. For me it will be another exclusive only machine but probably better placed in the industry to get the extra exclusives to make it worthwhile unlike the Wii U.

One thing I would like to see is better pricing on digital games. Obviously not just a Switch thing as the other consoles are just as bad but I feel like they have such good sales quite often that it offsets it a bit. There is no way I'm paying £50+ for a game, especially a digital one (and a re-release no less, bloody One Piece!).

I’m happy with it because I only had to fork out £28 for it with Zelda & a Pro Controller after my WiiU & 3DS trade-ins... but I’d be disappointed with it if I’d paid full-whack.

Poor online is the biggest drawback but also there are not enough games that suit my tastes just at the mo - but will get better when Mario & Xenoblade 2 are released of course!

Edited by Kav

2 hours ago, Kav said:

I’m happy with it because I only had to fork out £28 for it with Zelda & a Pro Controller after my WiiU & 3DS trade-ins... but I’d be disappointed with it if I’d paid full-whack.

Poor online is the biggest drawback but also there are not enough games that suit my tastes just at the mo - but will get better when Mario & Xenoblade 2 are released of course!

You should give a couple of the more critically acclaimed eShop titles a go, they might surprise you.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

I absolutely love it.

I have recently been playing Fifa, Splatoon 2 (I love this game and actually better at it than I thought I was going to be) and Sonic Mania.

I have the other campaigns to do on Shovel Knight. 

I downloaded Stardew Valley last night. Ive yet to start it.

I have Rabbids in its wrapper. Just ordered Rayman from gamecollection on their deal of the day too. No idea when I will play them

Mario is preordered too.

Its absolutely fantastic being a Switch owner. 

I'm currently playing through Metroid on the 3DS too. Together with the PS4 I have had one of the most fantastic single player gaming years.

Edited by Blade
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Blade said:

I absolutely love it.

I have recently been playing Fifa, Splatoon 2 (I love this game and actually better at it than I thought I was going to be) and Sonic Mania.

I have Rabbids in its wrapper. Just ordered Rayman from gamecollection on their deal of the day too. No idea when I will play them

Mario is preordered too.

I'm currently playing through Metroid on the 3DS too. Together with the PS4 I have had one of the most fantastic single player gaming years.

Mario + Rabbids ended up being one of my favourite games ever, it's so good. Maybe personal tastes and you may not agree but think you'll love it at the very least.

• Like 1

I was surprised by Rabbids.  I think what worked in its favour is it can be a good bite-sized game, so I might just do one challenge in the evening when I want to unwind a bit.

23 hours ago, Blade said:

I absolutely love it.

Mario is preordered too.

We need to get games going on Splatoon. You joined me and Dakota a couple of weeks ago didn’;t you? (Presume it was you)

• Like 1