NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

44 minutes ago, khilafah said:

2K definitely made sacrifices to get the engine running on switch. Still though to have this running on a handheld is damn impressive

I wish I was into basketball. Looks dope on a handheld. 

Switch getting some shelf space now

Even my local supermarkets Ninty is getting some shelf space back. 

5 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

@khilafah Watced this on my phone (which is just a tad smaller than the switch screen) and it was hard to see any difference other than the reporter screen and the facial shot. It goes to tell how powerful the Switch is as a handheld console. It's pretty close to the beasts that are Xbone and ps4pro and for a tablet that small, that is simply amazing.

I just watched it on my phone and thought exactly the same. If there weren't any pop ups announcing which console was running I wouldn't have known they were different. 

to be honest, even sat at my PC, it hardly screams. Sure I can clearly see the dedicated home consoles look nicer... but at the end of the day, the portability afforded by the switch > nicer graphics for plenty of people. For those who just want their games to look prettier, or place a larger emphasis on that aspect (because realistically I think most people like games to look nicer to some extent) sure, xb and ps win, but for most gamers the switch version is better (unless it is a cut down version somehow?)

Of course that only stands for those who have enough money to own 2/3 consoles, but don't have that money to buy the game 2/3 times for each of those platforms.

11 hours ago, Serebii said:

Yeah and it's not getting better. Microsoft have already begun the process of shifting their software to PC and the Xbox One is essentially a mini PC. It's the future.

I know you can really use both if you wish (normally for emphasising the individuals that make up the plural) but Microsoft has.  Just one of those things that gets under my skin.  Aaaaanyway.

And for what its worth, I can't see MS leaving the landscape anytime soon and I hope they don't.  They bring some nice variation to the table.  Not all of it successful, but hats off for trying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

I know you can really use both if you wish (normally for emphasising the individuals that make up the plural) but Microsoft has.  Just one of those things that gets under my skin.  Aaaaanyway.

And for what its worth, I can't see MS leaving the landscape anytime soon and I hope they don't.  They bring some nice variation to the table.  Not all of it successful, but hats off for trying.

I second this. Loved my 360 and even though I skipped the one I think it would be a damn shame is MS left the arena.

Luckily like you I can't see that happening any time soon.

I'm not sure Microsoft add a huge amount to the table to be honest. Console wise the Xbox One and PS4 are near enough the same, and games wise Microsoft's major problem is they just don't have enough compelling exclusives apart from Halo, Forza and maybe Gears.

Of the big three I can see them being the most likely to drop out and shift their focus to PC gaming, maybe not soon but unless sales drastically improve I'm not sure we'll see another console from them past the X.

12 hours ago, Ashley said:

What variation do they bring though? The PS4 and Xbox One are pretty homogeneous. Microsoft's first party offerings have been fewer and further between now too. There is pretty much no reason to own both a PS4 and an Xbox One, and that sucks.

At the start of the generation, I was hoping all offerings had something unique to them to make them worth it, but Microsoft quickly changed the XBO to be more standard.

I must admit, I own both an XBONE and a PS4 and where last gen I was all for the 360 and my PS3 never got a look in, this time around it's the other way round. 

I wanted to love the Xbox ONE but outside of the exclusives I enjoy (Forza being the biggest), I find myself wanting to play everything on my playstation. Better interface, better community (more friends on there), exclusives are brilliant and varied, PS Plus has had some gems for me this year and I just like the gaming experience it provides. 

I also use an Xperia XZ Premium which is fantastic for mobile remote play with a lot of games that don't require the huge TV, so arcadey games and older Resident Evil's, basically :P. 

Xbox just seems lost at the moment. One look at the dashboard and I'm confused. I'm sick of seeing upgrades to it only to find they've moved something yet again or changed the layout making it more confusing. 

Normally I'd be tempted by the Xbox One X but at the moment I'm considering trading my One in and upgrading to a Pro as that's quite high on my want list seeing as I have a 4k TV. 

And then I have a Switch which gives me everything else I need whenever and however I choose to play. The PS4 and Switch are such a wining combo for gamers if it's a viable option. 

I think it's important to have competition in the market place, after all if the 360 hadn't been such a success would Sony have made the PS4 such a huge hit? Would they have rested on their laurels somewhat like they did with the PS3 initially?

Having said that MS aren't providing any competition at the moment at all, I mean the One is being outsold in the UK by the Switch, that's crazy! I've had some great experiences with my One however Halo 5, Gears 4 and the big exclusives haven't done anything for me at all; all I play on it now are The Division and use it as a 4k box to watch TV shows on.

But then I don't have a great deal of time to sit down in front of the TV any more, so I can't imagine investing my time in a game that I then can't take on the go with me, One or PS4. It's also why I traded in the 3DS as well, because I want the flexibility not just one thing or the other!

11 hours ago, Serebii said:

What variation do they bring though? The PS4 and Xbox One are pretty homogeneous. Microsoft's first party offerings have been fewer and further between now too. There is pretty much no reason to own both a PS4 and an Xbox One, and that sucks.

The Kinect, Holo Lens (I know its not confirmed for Xbox, but I can see it coming in some form in the future and it does technically work with it), the use of hard-drives, the second big push for online (after Dreamcast), achievements.  They're big on tech and they help to push things along.  They used to be similar in the social sphere, but less so recently.

Sony and Microsoft (and Nintendo to a degree) push each other to outdo one-another when it comes to technology and (primarily) third-party software and we need that in gaming.  That friendly competition drives things that would be lost if Microsoft just left.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Sony and Microsoft (and Nintendo to a degree) push each other to outdo one-another when it comes to technology

'To a degree' Nintendo? They're the ones innovating the most when it comes to tech. D-Pads, shoulder buttons, analog sticks, rumble, motion control, speakers in the controller, dual screen gaming, touchscreen gaming, stereoscopic 3D, Miiverse, proprietary lag-free game streaming to a tablet, NFC, HD rumble, the entire Switch concept.

All slightly more noteworthy than 'hard drives and achievements' on Xbox. 

Kinect was cool tech but everyone ended up either not using it or hating it to the point where they've now completely ditched it. It was only ever a response to the Wii anyway. And I wouldn't hold my breath on hololens for Xbox any time soon if at all. 

Their online set-up with Xbox Live was/is fantastic though I'll give them that, but otherwise I don't see them adding a lot to be honest and their latest "most powerful console" spiel is a little depressing. Especially when it completely side steps their major issue: barely any exclusive games.

Edited by Ronnie

22 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

'To a degree' Nintendo? They're the ones innovating the most when it comes to tech. D-Pads, shoulder buttons, analog sticks, rumble, motion control, speakers in the controller, dual screen gaming, touchscreen gaming, stereoscopic 3D, Miiverse, proprietary lag-free game streaming to a tablet, NFC, HD rumble, the entire Switch concept.

All slightly more noteworthy than 'hard drives and achievements' on Xbox. 

Kinect was cool tech but everyone ended up either not using it or hating it to the point where they've now completely ditched it. It was only ever a response to the Wii anyway. And I wouldn't hold my breath on hololens for Xbox any time soon if at all. 

Their online set-up with Xbox Live was/is fantastic though I'll give them that, but otherwise I don't see them adding a lot to be honest and their latest "most powerful console" spiel is a little depressing. Especially when it completely side steps their major issue: barely any exclusive games.

"To a degree" meaning in certain ways.  Yes, the ways you list are great but pushing processing power etc is not something Nintendo is interested in and thus not something they're going to compete in.  Perhaps bad wording, but it wasn't to suggest Nintendo don't innovate in technology, they just simply aren't competing in the same way Microsoft and Sony are.

Hard-drives built into consoles have allowed for DLC, indie games etc to flourish.  To write it off as nbd is to diminish what it can help achieve.  Achievements may not be your cup of tea but they brought about a whole new approach to engaging with games and a real social element.  It tapped into the gamification idea in a way that can breathe new life into games if you are so inclined.

Kinect may not have been great for gaming, or used that much (and the whole bundling it with One was a disaster), but it is fucking wonderful tech that has outpaced our wildest expectations when it comes to art, research, medicine etc.  It was a great product aimed at the wrong primary audience and to me one of the most interesting things to come out of last generation.  

And as I said, you can use Holo Lens with Xbox already technically (even if its a glorified monitor) :p but yeah I get you.  I suspect it will be a generation off before it becomes something akin to PSVR (i.e. an optional add-on that provides new experiences).

Still, competition is good and we need multiple companies with multiple approaches (even if the venn does overlap significantly in some areas).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ashley said:

Kinect may not have been great for gaming, or used that much (and the whole bundling it with One was a disaster), but it is fucking wonderful tech that has outpaced our wildest expectations when it comes to art, research, medicine etc.  It was a great product aimed at the wrong primary audience and to me one of the most interesting things to come out of last generation.  

Interestingly enough, The Verge has just written an article discussing how the technology from Kinect is essentially in the new iPhone.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/17/16315510/iphone-x-notch-kinect-apple-primesense-microsoft

Crazy to see the tech shrunk down to that size in such a small space of time.

18 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Looks like NBA 2K18 on Switch has some issues

Weirdest glitch ever, audio drops out and is replaced by a toddler gurgling. Lol

Layers Of Fear Legacy has been announced for Switch, no release window yet but the Nintendo Life story about it says it's coming soon so looks like another game to add to my list for this year.

Edited by killthenet
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, killthenet said:

Layers Of Fear Legacy has been announced for Switch, no release window yet but the Nintendo Life story about it says it's coming soon so looks like another game to add to my list for this year.

One of the many games on my Steam wishlist (and Steam says this game is "relevant" to me).

May go for it.

There was an episode of Easy Update where they played through the first bit of it and I definitely liked the look of it from that but just never got round to picking it up. Seems like it got a pretty decent reception on other platforms so I'm looking forward to playing it 

It really does look so so good. 

I'd never be brave enough - or have the patience - to try and do it myself, but I agree with what the guy says in his video about wishing Nintendo would do more designs like this as per the older consoles. 

So far actually, I think al of the joy-con colours they've released have been pretty rubbish. I liked the yellow ones but have stuck the grey back on for now. 

Could definitely do with some character themed ones now at the least. Peach, Luigi, Waluigi, Wario etc. 

They'd sell tonnes. 

I've decided to bite the bullet and trade in my Wii U. I've still got 101, and Pikmin on the hard drive plus a disc copy of AC Black Flag that I really wanted to complete (I haven't even started) before I bid farewell, but in reality I doubt I'll ever get around to playing them. The plus side is I've got a Wii U, 2 pro controllers, several Wii motes and a few disc games, so I should get  pretty decent trade in price. Going to splurge on some new games and peripherals. Once Fifa 18 comes out the Switch is going to be a constant companion.

37 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

I've decided to bite the bullet and trade in my Wii U. I've still got 101, and Pikmin on the hard drive plus a disc copy of AC Black Flag that I really wanted to complete (I haven't even started) before I bid farewell, but in reality I doubt I'll ever get around to playing them. The plus side is I've got a Wii U, 2 pro controllers, several Wii motes and a few disc games, so I should get  pretty decent trade in price. Going to splurge on some new games and peripherals. Once Fifa 18 comes out the Switch is going to be a constant companion.

If you're trading into CEX you'll likely get around £150 for all of it, if the console is boxed, obviously that's trade-in credit... more like £100 or so for cash. ::shrug:

The sad thing is that even if you've got loads of games on your hard drive for it, these don't really amount to extra value, which sucks. :(

Because of that alone, I could never trade mine in, I've easily spent hundreds on the machine in VC titles alone, some still to be reviewed (soon) as well.

I suppose if you don't have that much downloaded though, then it's less to keep you tied to the machine.

Just recently I moved my Wii U so that I could accomodate an extra vertical display (for shmups) so I was hunting down all of the wires... then sorting out the USB hub, putting in a new lead for the HDD which had just... broken months ago, attaching the sensor bar, power brick, charging leads and the GC controller adapter... it really makes you realise just how much there is to set up. :hmm: So I can understand in some ways.

Using the Switch in comparison is like a breath of fresh air, the only real thing it doesn't have right now which the Wii U has over it is a Virtual Console, everything else on it is like having a Wii U but better and more portable. :D

I suppose the chances are that at this point, the majority of Wii U games will end up on Switch so I suppose you won't miss out on too much, especially with Miiverse going pretty soon... but whatever you decide, I hope you're happy with your Switch going forward, I certainly am for the most part but I'm going to keep going back to the Wii U for certain games so it is nice to have around even if it is admittedly difficult to go back to now. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G

1 hour ago, Clownferret said:

Like SGC said, the downloaded games won't mean anything traded in, better selling it on eBay and adding these to the value I reckon.