NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

This year has been outrageous for games. I was having a look earlier and there are 13 Switch games that I definitely want to buy before the end of the year, plus a few more eShop games that should be out before the year is done too. Plus there are a handful of PS4 games that I haven't got round to buying (specifically Horizon and Nier) as well as some older games I've yet to pick up. And then obviously there's Metroid coming this Friday and SNES classic coming in 2 weeks so my game time is going to be pretty full for the rest of the year.

Another month where the Switch has been on top in the US.

- "Strong sales continue for the Nintendo Switch, which was the best-selling platform last month. It’s been jostling with Sony’s PlayStation 4 since its launch in March; it was the best-selling platform except for May and June, which went to the PS4. Year to date, the PS4 is the best-selling console."

• Like 2

Dominating sales in Japan, let's say going toe to toe with PS4 in the USA, even outselling the Xbox One in the UK...is it fair to say the Switch is officially a success, yet? 

Still so many games to come, too!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Dominating sales in Japan, let's say going toe to toe with PS4 in the USA, even outselling the Xbox One in the UK...is it fair to say the Switch is officially a success, yet? 

Still so many games to come, too!

Yeah, it's got it's foot in the door now, so it will take some special cock up for it to lose momentum.

You gotta wonder what this means for Microsoft going forward. They've lost both the US and the UK markets this generation to Sony and now Nintendo and they simply aren't a thing in Japan. It's launch of the X is certainly going to be interesting to watch...

• Like 1

Yeah, Microsoft are struggling but they really don't help themselves either. The whole cross play seems to take away a lot of the benefits of owning an xbox. Not making exclusives and such. Bizarre. I just can't see the X doing very well at all either.

54 minutes ago, khilafah said:

The NBA 2K18 save file is 3GB. Nintendo need to allow users to save to SD card. 

I didn't realise you couldn't. Is it only games you can save to SD? That will change in an update otherwise people will run out of space before too long.

Whatever Microsoft are doing, they need to change it.  Switch outselling the Xbox One in the UK is great news indeed.  Still don't own one myself due to my sheer backlog of games on PS4.  With the likes of Doom and LA Noire coming to the Switch, these are proper 3rd party titles which the WiiU lacked.

3 hours ago, dazzybee said:

Yeah, Microsoft are struggling but they really don't help themselves either. The whole cross play seems to take away a lot of the benefits of owning an xbox. Not making exclusives and such. Bizarre. I just can't see the X doing very well at all either.

Microsoft are basically doing a bit of the ol' Nintendo imo. They've grown arrogant(possibly due to their youth) and thought they'd get away with it. I think their division also as part of a larger company doesn't neccessarily matter to them as much. I think ps4 is different because Sony's gaming division brings so much to them and probably kept them alive and saved them from potential disaster.

I think MS just haven't realised they have to adapt - some might argue Sony made the same mistakes in the past until the ps4 and more engagement with the west.

I think the bheaviour of MS compared to others will look a bit different off the actual situations because of them being a part of a much more successful company. Some have wondered for a while if they'll even properly continue pursuing the home video game console market - I think this is a sign of indication of the level of engagement they might have going forwards.

On 13/09/2017 at 5:04 AM, londragon said:

The Nintendo Switch Online App has been updated to 1.1.0. Now includes multitasking. Yes, you can voice chat to nobody who's not using it also, whilst in sleep mode or using other apps.

I'm confused by all these negatives.  I don't know what to believe!

• Like 2

Surely Nintendo are going to have to do something with the save file storage. Locking it to the internal memory isn't feasible when AAA titles require so much memory for a save file. 

Below are the storage space requirements for NBA2K18:

Initial software download after purchase – 6.8 GB
Additional software update – 16.1 GB
Save file – 5 GB system memory per save file

5GB per save file!!! 

Without cloud saves or SD card save files there is a problem!!! 

• Like 1

so 27.9 just for that one game and a save file? that leaves about 4gb "free" but I assume Nintendo are using that for updates etc....

With the Wii U I gather people would delete the software and updates and download them again if/when they wanted to, but with the switch having a terrible wifi connection I imagine that would be even less appealing. Is there still no word on even local storage??

Don't understand how the save file in NBA 2K18 is so big. What are the programmers doing as that's just madness.

The save file size is the same across all versions btw. Not just a switch problem.

Edited by khilafah

It's also mighty tempting to get the 160 euro version of that NBA game from the E-shop.

• Haha 1

PS2 was successful, Sony got arrogant and f-ed the successor, before turning things around with the PS4

Wii was successful, Nintendo got arrogant and f-ed the successor, before turning things around with the Switch

360 was successful, Microsoft got arrogant and is (sort of) f-ing up the successor, and I don't see the Xbox One X doing much to change things.

• Like 2

It's what I call the 3rd console curse coming into effect. 

Nintendo originally cocked up with the N64, Sega with the Saturn, Sony with the PS3 and now Microsoft with the Xbox One.

Its as if the first console is there to get a footing, the second brings in the big money and then the third is when each of these companies goes into arrogant mode and burns any progress and goodwill any of them had. It's hilarious how history keeps repeating itself. :D

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's what I call the 3rd console curse coming into effect. 

Nintendo originally cocked up with the N64, Sega with the Saturn, Sony with the PS3 and now Microsoft with the Xbox One.

Its as if the first console is there to get a footing, the second brings in the big money and then the third is when each of these companies goes into arrogant mode and burns any progress and goodwill any of them had. It's hilarious how history keeps repeating itself. :D

Yep, happens every time. I wanted the XBONE to buck the trend just because it'd be genuinely amazing. It ended up sinking Sega, but Nintendo bounced back with the Wii and Sony seem to have weathered the worst of it quickly with the PS4.

Microsoft definitely had the worst foundation for their third console, The 360 had to go up against the Wii, a pretty hopeless battle in hindsight. And now they're fighting the PS4. Ouch.

Edited by Glen-i

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

PS2 was successful, Sony got arrogant and f-ed the successor, before turning things around with the PS4

Wii was successful, Nintendo got arrogant and f-ed the successor, before turning things around with the Switch

360 was successful, Microsoft got arrogant and is (sort of) f-ing up the successor, and I don't see the Xbox One X doing much to change things.

Xbox One X isn't a successor though.

I honestly don't see Microsoft continuing with dedicated consoles. They've always been fighting an uphill battle with heads of Microsoft to prove Xbox's worth. It has been a huge money drain and I don't think they've even made back what they lost in the first 5 or so years of Xbox. Having Microsoft's name out there was probably able to convince the heads that it's good publicity for the Microsoft name, but now the Xbox One isn't doing well at all then that's not the case either.

I can see Microsoft dropping out, pushing their games to Windows 10 (as they're already doing) and using the Xbox name for prebuilt PCs akin to Steam boxes in the future.

33 minutes ago, Serebii said:

Xbox One X isn't a successor though.

I honestly don't see Microsoft continuing with dedicated consoles. They've always been fighting an uphill battle with heads of Microsoft to prove Xbox's worth. It has been a huge money drain and I don't think they've even made back what they lost in the first 5 or so years of Xbox. Having Microsoft's name out there was probably able to convince the heads that it's good publicity for the Microsoft name, but now the Xbox One isn't doing well at all then that's not the case either.

I can see Microsoft dropping out, pushing their games to Windows 10 (as they're already doing) and using the Xbox name for prebuilt PCs akin to Steam boxes in the future.

MS are not leaving the console business.  How many years now have people said it's been a huge money drain and they will exit the business.

1 minute ago, liger05 said:

MS are not leaving the console business.  How many years now have people said it's been a huge money drain and they will exit the business.

Nowhere near as long as people saying Nintendo should go 3rd party.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, liger05 said:

Yeah and it's not getting better. Microsoft have already begun the process of shifting their software to PC and the Xbox One is essentially a mini PC. It's the future.

1 hour ago, Serebii said:

Yeah and it's not getting better. Microsoft have already begun the process of shifting their software to PC and the Xbox One is essentially a mini PC. It's the future.

But the xbone is a console. I don't see how a company ready to exit the hardware space would then greenlit a niche product like scorpion.

Edited by liger05

2K definitely made sacrifices to get the engine running on switch. Still though to have this running on a handheld is damn impressive

36 minutes ago, liger05 said:

But the xbone is a console. I don't see how a company ready to exit the hardware space would then greenlit a niche product like scorpion.

As a one last attempt to regain the foothold?

@khilafah Watced this on my phone (which is just a tad smaller than the switch screen) and it was hard to see any difference other than the reporter screen and the facial shot. It goes to tell how powerful the Switch is as a handheld console. It's pretty close to the beasts that are Xbone and ps4pro and for a tablet that small, that is simply amazing.

Edited by ArtMediocre