NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Missed this:

I've never played those kind of games. Doesn't look bad, so far.

Edit: Release date seems to be 27-10-2017.

Edit: I'm looking at the list of Nintendo Switch games to check if there are any titles I'm unaware of..

This is a recent (April this year) indie game also coming to Switch, and sounds fantastic:

I'm getting that.

This one also looks interesting, though I'm not sure if it's interesting enough among all the other interesting games coming out.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

I very nearly bought the Sexy Brutale on PS4, very glad I held off now, will get it on Switch.

I played Figment at EGX Rezzed a few months ago, good fun and lovely visuals.

So many games !

The Nintendo Switch Online App has been updated to 1.1.0. Now includes multitasking. Yes, you can voice chat to nobody who's not using it also, whilst in sleep mode or using other apps.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, londragon said:

The Nintendo Switch Online App has been updated to 1.1.0. Now includes multitasking. Yes, you can voice chat to nobody who's not using it also, whilst in sleep mode or using other apps.

Good to see they have fixed this. It was ridiculous that the thing would cut out if your phone went into sleep mode or was using another app/internet.

Nice update, still has a long way to go though...

I get the feeling that nothing they can do can shake off the reputation it has gained now though.  Even if they updated it to have feature parity (and then some) with Discord, they'll never manage to pull people off of it thanks to the app's bad initial reception.  They had one chance to impress and they blew it.  Why would I use the official app when I can use Discord and when all my friends are using it? (across multiple platforms no less).

Just now, Dcubed said:

I get the feeling that nothing they can do can shake off the reputation it has gained now though.  Even if they updated it to have feature parity (and then some) with Discord, they'll never manage to pull people off of it thanks to the app's bad initial reception.  They had one chance to impress and they blew it.  Why would I use the official app when I can use Discord and when all my friends are using it? (across multiple platforms no less).

They could win a lot of people over if they also put the thing on to the Switch itself. 

It is baffling they way they have handled this. Like you said, you have things like Discord which many are already a part of, so why use anything else, especially when it's so limited?

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Its just always going to be the location for me. They can add as many features as they like but I just don't want to have to use my phone while I'm gaming.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They could win a lot of people over if they also put the thing on to the Switch itself. 

It is baffling they way they have handled this. Like you said, you have things like Discord which many are already a part of, so why use anything else, especially when it's so limited?

See, I still don't think it was a bad idea per-say.  I'd love to have an app that combines all of their disparate services into one mobile friendly interface (eShop, Splatnet, Mario Kart TV, Mario Maker Bookmark, Pokemon Global Link etc) and I think that's what they're aiming for it to be.  But this half baked start is going to do them more harm than good in the long run as they now have to shake off this bad reputation.  Especially if they're gonna be charging for it!

Well I suppose we'll probably get a better idea about its future tonight when the ND hits and they probably go into detail about the paid service; but they're fighting an uphill battle now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

See, I still don't think it was a bad idea per-say.  I'd love to have an app that combines all of their disparate services into one mobile friendly interface (eShop, Splatnet, Mario Kart TV, Mario Maker Bookmark, Pokemon Global Link etc) and I think that's what they're aiming for it to be.  But this half baked start is going to do them more harm than good in the long run as they now have to shake off this bad reputation.  Especially if they're gonna be charging for it!

I agree the half baked start has been detrimental to them but I can see why they wanted to launch it with Splatoon 2, even in it's unfinished state. Nintendo are probably trying to work out any kinks and get feedback for when it is finally finished. Launching it in a broken state when people are shelling out money for the service would be a PR nightmare for them. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I think they'll be able to shake off the appalling start with a simple re brand and or/big push when it's all part of the paid service; they haven't pushed it that much so far, mainly because it's so naff and they probably know it, but if they've got any sense they'll re package it when the fully paid service is launched!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I think they'll be able to shake off the appalling start with a simple re brand and or/big push when it's all part of the paid service; they haven't pushed it that much so far, mainly because it's so naff and they probably know it, but if they've got any sense they'll re package it when the fully paid service is launched!

I reckon that if they re-launch it alongside Smash Bros with some real killer functionality (sharing replays? Amiibo training? Trophy/Sticker catching?) they might have a chance.  But the bad launch will be a tough one to shake off.

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I reckon that if they re-launch it alongside Smash Bros with some real killer functionality (sharing replays? Amiibo training? Trophy/Sticker catching?) they might have a chance.  But the bad launch will be a tough one to shake off.

Yeah, I have it pegged as launching with Smash, as well. It makes sense to launch both alongside each other. They need a big online game to promote the service and with Splatoon already released Smash is the next best thing.

I watched a Quick look of Sexy Brutale on giantbomb a few weeks back and that game looked great, I'd be sure to pick that up on switch.

Do I pick up Skyrim, Doom & Wolfenstein at full price on Switch or, more than likely (definitely in some cases) cheaper, on PS4..?

Is the portability worth the extra cost..?

Just now, Kav said:

Do I pick up Skyrim, Doom & Wolfenstein at full price on Switch or, more than likely (definitely in some cases) cheaper, on PS4..?

Skyrim and Doom are definitely a hell of a lot cheaper on the PS4. You can get Doom for a tenner these days.

Ask yourself this, do you really want these games or are you just looking for something to play on the Switch. I mean, you've had a PS4 for a long time and both Doom and Skyrim have been available on that platform for ages now. I assume if you really wanted to play them you would have done so by now.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Skyrim and Doom are definitely a hell of a lot cheaper on the PS4. You can get Doom for a tenner these days.

Ask yourself this, do you really want these games or are you just looking for something to play on the Switch. I mean, you've had a PS4 for a long time and both Doom and Skyrim have been available on that platform for ages now. I assume if you really wanted to play them you would have done so by now.

True! When I'm at home I tend to play multiplayer games on the PS4 which is why I've not picked them up even though at first I thought I would... I've still got a huge back-log on PS4!

...but I am looking for games to play on the Switch to make the commute to/from work more fun so they could be worth the purchase in that case.

I think just knowing I could get them cheaper on PS4 is a block in my mind from just biting the bullet and getting them on Switch at full-whack.

Edited by Kav
  • Like 1

Anyone else feel really busy with games at the moment?

• Completed Double Dragon IV and just finishing my review
  • Ordered Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Got to max-out my team to level-10 in the Etrian Odyssey V demo
  • Going to download Spinmaster
  • Probably going to buy Quest of Dungeons
  • Project Octopath Traveller demo

That's at least four to play from today onwards!

Edited by Grazza
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grazza said:

Anyone else feel really busy with games at the moment?

Yup. There's a crazy amount of content across all platforms at the moment.

I've been playing Monster Hunter Stories on and off all week on my 3DS and have Metroid on the way this week and Pokemon Silver next week. On the PS4 i've been playing Knack 2, Destiny 2 and Everybody's Golf  but I may get rid of the latter 2. On the Switch i'm currently making may way through Mighty Gunvolt Burst (loving this and will probably play another run with Gunvolt and maybe try to get 100%), still have another 1 and a half runs to do on Blaster Master Zero, put some more time into Binding of Isaac (not enjoying it, so it may get shelved ) and I need to start Phantom Trigger! I also keep playing Splatoon 2 now and then in between playing other stuff. 

Great time to be a gamer. :peace:

• Like 1

Crazy amount of games atm. Switch wise I've bought but yet to start Graceful Explosion Machine, Kamiko, Tumble Seed, Shantae, Mighty Gunvolt, Gonner, Cave Story, Sonic Mania, Binding of Isaac and now Kingdom New Lands which just released today.

Otherwise I just finished Mass Effect Andromeda and am still in world 2 of Mario + Rabbids.

Great times.

3 hours ago, Kav said:

Single player games on Switch for your commute, multiplayer games on your PS4.

Glad top help ;-)

3 hours ago, Kav said:

True! When I'm at home I tend to play multiplayer games on the PS4 which is why I've not picked them up even though at first I thought I would... I've still got a huge back-log on PS4!

...but I am looking for games to play on the Switch to make the commute to/from work more fun so they could be worth the purchase in that case.

I think just knowing I could get them cheaper on PS4 is a block in my mind from just biting the bullet and getting them on Switch at full-whack.

Well if the portability is actually a big factor in you wanting to play them, and stuff like Odyssey or other games that are coming out aren't quite enough to keep you busy, and money isn't tight, then just buy them. If you can wait and play some other games wait for a price drop.

Yeah crazy times, too crazy for me now so I'm being really strict and just sticking to switch for new games now. A few games on ps4 backlog, loads of psvr stuff. But just focussing on switch now. My gaming life is officially curbed :D

• Like 1

I think Mario Odyssey will still be my next Switch game but I do have a massive PC & PS4 backlog to go along with all the games coming for those two towards the end of the year. Destiny 2 will be taking up most of my time at the moment and then I will go back to Yakuza Kiwami to finish off the story there.

I may triple dip on LA Noire for Switch but I'll wait for the reviews to see if its a good port or not.

Could anyone recommend any chargers for charging the Switch on the go? Or (dumb question) does such a thing even exist?