NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Well, it's failed on that front then. I find it pretty eh. The single player content is atrocious as well. Funny thing is, on the WiiU, it was one hell of a good looking game, the Switch one is pretty much just the WiiU version with the arcade characters (And Decidueye). Very quick and minimal port job.

Can you call yourself a Pokémon fan if you don't like Gen 1? 🤔

11 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Can you call yourself a Pokémon fan if you don't like Gen 1? 🤔

Don't get me wrong, I like Gen 1. But it's nowhere near the best, not even better than the average Pokemon. It hasn't got the best region, it hasn't got the best game, it hasn't got the best Pokemon designs. Nothing about it stands out, except it's the first (And the glitchiest, but that's fun to mess with).

I'm just sick to death of it being mentioned everywhere. It being the main selling point of recent Pokemon games. The new stuff should be the selling point. X/Y and Sun/Moon have just been taking the mick.

I want them to take a more Mystery Dungeon approach and spread out the Pokemon in a game. Not have over 40% of the Pokemon in a 7th installment be from 1996. That was fine in 2001, but these days, there's no excuse for that. Not when you have over 800 of the damn things.

Don't get me wrong, I like Gen 1. But it's nowhere near the best, not even better than the average

This sounds like if an alien were to assess all the games side by side, at the same time, with no knowledge of provenance.

There's so much history, charm and background to Gen 1. It's essentially what Pokémon is, while everything else has been an attempt to continue what was there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

This sounds like if an alien were to assess all the games side by side, at the same time, with no knowledge of provenance.

There's so much history, charm and background to Gen 1. It's essentially what Pokémon is, while everything else has been an attempt to continue what was there.

There's absolutely no denying that Red/Blue were incredibly important. It's basically the defining game of my and probably many other's childhood. But it's been improved on since then, quite a few times. My issue is not with the games themselves. Hell, I rebought Yellow on 3DS VC without a second thought the day it got released.

My issue is the people who crave the same old 150 Pokemon over and over again. It's this attitude that they're the only important Pokemon so let's just focus on them. The attitude that I've seen a few people claim that Ultra Sun is only note worthy because they're might be an explorable Kanto, where before that possibility arose, they weren't interested.

It's actually one of the things I think Pokken does well. Double Mewtwo and Pikachu aside (Hawlucha got robbed) it's got a nice mixture of Pokemon from all sorts of different games. And it's more interesting because of it.

• Like 2

So have you guys seen that voice-chat is programmed into the Switch hardware but is limited to LAN only for whatever dumbass reason?

Apparently you can utilize a built-in voice chat feature via Splatoon 2's LAN play. All you need is a headset with a mic. Plug it in and you're good to go....

...Now if we could only get this feature for general online play!

http://gonintendo.com/stories/288664-splatoon-2-features-built-in-voice-chat-for-lan-play

How is it that it's 2017 and Nintendo can't get it right?! :laughing:

Nintendo just shared a video of upcomming Indie-games - I wonder why they uploaded this today, the day before the Nindies Presentation?

4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Nintendo just shared a video of upcomming Indie-games - I wonder why they uploaded this today, the day before the Nindies Presentation?

Yeah I saw this earlier. Glad to see more games coming up for the Switch even if they are indies (I need Smash Bros in my life). 

The longer we go without confirmation of Yooka-Laylee's Switch release, the harder it is for me to suppress the hope that the release date announcement comes as part of a double whammy with Yooka in Smash/Smash Bros Switch reveal. Just announce a date so I can accept it's not happening and can finally move on! This is just torture at this point!

• Like 3

That's neat to hear. :)

But the cost of a 400GB card is nearly as much as a Switch! :p

I'm happy with paying the £50 I managed to get my 200GB card for, at least for the forseeable future. :D

Taking my switch outside of the house for the first time later and realised I forgot to buy a case. Headphone case to the rescue.

If it fits, I Switch.

IMG_20170902_162458.jpg

• Like 8

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:00 PM, S.C.G said:

I'm happy with paying the £50 I managed to get my 200GB card for, at least for the forseeable future. :D

Agreed, got the 200GB here too and that should be fine....for now :p

Curious to find out if anyone else experiences really crappy wifi from their Switch? Regularly get drop outs on Splatoon/MK via wifi but as soon as I connect via Ethernet, it's pretty consistent. Being a portable console, having to rely on a wired connection for a stable experience really is not ideal. 

A developer behind the upcoming Nintendo Switch indie Lichtspeer might have just let it slip that Nintendo are working on an achievements system for the Switch. 

I think the inclusion of an achievements system would be huge for a home/portable hybrid, and it would certainly give players more incentive to play through games again or push on further. Then again, I personally think it would be better to add achievements to games post-completion so that players enjoy the game at face value the first time around, adding to the replayability of each game. 

SOURCEhttps://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6yw24w/we_made_lichtspeer_a_game_about_throwing_laser/

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 1

I think there's something to be said for the potential of achievements to encourage players to keep playing, or maybe play in a different way during the game.  They might be inclined to give up, but then feel an achievement is in sight (if they know what they are in advance) and go for that.  They may not finish the game, but they may get more gameplay out of it.  I know I have done before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Babooo said:

Curious to find out if anyone else experiences really crappy wifi from their Switch? Regularly get drop outs on Splatoon/MK via wifi but as soon as I connect via Ethernet, it's pretty consistent. Being a portable console, having to rely on a wired connection for a stable experience really is not ideal. 

Yes, the crappy wifi does my nut in. Xbox gets a perfect signal right next to the Switch which doesn't get a perfect signal.

10 hours ago, Babooo said:

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Yes, the crappy wifi does my nut in. Xbox gets a perfect signal right next to the Switch which doesn't get a perfect signal.

Sometimes I find doing a full reboot of the Switch fixes any issues I'm having with the wifi on it.

I get the feeling that any sort of "achivement" system they have in mind at Nintendo isn't really what most people have in mind...

I think that this tease is actually referring to support for My Nintendo Missions in Switch games and those aren't really "achievements" per-say, so much as they are incentives to engage with games on a regular basis and encourage more purchases on the eShop.

Edited by Dcubed

33 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I get the feeling that any sort of "achivement" system they have in mind at Nintendo isn't really what most people have in mind...

I think that this tease is actually referring to support for My Nintendo Missions in Switch games and those aren't really "achievements" per-say, so much as they are incentives to engage with games on a regular basis and encourage more purchases on the eShop.

Yeah, pretty much. Hoping for Ninty to ape the competition 8 times out of 10 gets you disappointed. Of course, my ideal way to implement an achievement system is to have a similar one to the competition but have it give you Platinum Points on My Nintendo instead..

Not to mention, have some decent rewards on My Nintendo from time to time. Even just allowing you to trade points for a bit of eShop credit would be one hell of an incentive for those Achievement junkies.

Edited by Glen-i

re: Achievements, it's not really enough to just copy trophies from PS4, if Nintendo do implement them I'd like them to have a tangible purpose rather than just a series of tick boxes. I'd like to see them tied to a Badge Arcade style thing where getting an achievement gives you a sticker you can then place on your Switch home screen to decorate it. Another idea would be to have them tied to a Streetpass puzzle piece kind of thing where each one gives you a part of a large (animated?) image. Or as above suggested, simply tied to MyNintendo points.

• Like 2