NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

So how do you guys value motion controls with the Switch compared to the Wii(U)? I have trouble with them. For Splatoon 2 it works if I play with Joy-Cons in the grip, but I'm much less accurate in handheld mode. For Breath of the Wild same, tilt puzzles are hell when in handheld mode and even in the Joy-Con grip it is a bit hit or miss. I also tried Mariokart 8 now for a bit with single Joy-Con and motion control but I was all over the place.

I value them very highly. About 90% of the time, I perform better with them. After all, I am Mr. "I'm using Motion Controls" on Mario Kart 8.

I get the impression that some people's issues with Motion Controls stem from a unwillingness to learn a new control scheme. Now of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. Especially those who suffer from Motion sickness. But imagine trying to introduce twin stick aiming to shooters for the first time today. What with modern gamer's attitude of "Give it to me now, stop making me wait", I'd bet it go down about as well.

Edited by Glen-i

12 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

So how do you guys value motion controls with the Switch compared to the Wii(U)?

I don't value them at all, no matter what console they are on. :D

I've said it before but the only time I think motion controls work well is with VR. Anything else I steer clear.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

So how do you guys value motion controls with the Switch compared to the Wii(U)?

I expected to use motion controls for ARMS, and did so during the 'Testpunch', but I felt more comfortable playing with the Joy-Con Grip in the end, something which helps make the transition to playing in handheld mode seamless :smile:

I generally enjoy motion control, though,  and find that Nintendo usually implement it very well. Games like Wii Sports Resort felt exactly how I expected them to!

If we get a 'Switch Sports' I'll be all over it :grin: I also anticipate Skyward Sword HD at some point, a game I will happily play again!

Overall, I feel like Nintendo have done well so far in providing options on Switch to allow everyone to play how they wish.

16 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I've said it before but the only time I think motion controls work well is with VR. Anything else I steer clear.

I agree. In VR motion controls feel very natural, any other time and they feel like a chore. 

On 31/07/2017 at 6:57 PM, Vileplume2000 said:

So how do you guys value motion controls with the Switch compared to the Wii(U)? I have trouble with them. For Splatoon 2 it works if I play with Joy-Cons in the grip, but I'm much less accurate in handheld mode. For Breath of the Wild same, tilt puzzles are hell when in handheld mode and even in the Joy-Con grip it is a bit hit or miss. I also tried Mariokart 8 now for a bit with single Joy-Con and motion control but I was all over the place.

I think the big difference is the use of motion controls attached to your screen. In Splatoon 1 it wasn't too bad because you didn't have to actively look at the screen you're moving between your hands - whereas obvs with Switch and the JoyCons attached you would. I've not played so can't obviously comment fully, but trying to picture motion controlling attached to the screen seems to my mind like I'd get a bit put off by it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rummy said:

I think the big difference is the use of motion controls attached to your screen. In Splatoon 1 it wasn't too bad because you didn't have to actively look at the screen you're moving between your hands - whereas obvs with Switch and the JoyCons attached you would. I've not played so can't obviously comment fully, but trying to picture motion controlling attached to the screen seems to my mind like I'd get a bit put off by it.

Motion controls in a handheld mode is a non starter for me. 

• Like 1

You have to laugh at Capcom. Another test for the Switch. 

The same Capcom who couldn't even port Disney collection the switch. 

Street Fighter made them $$$. 450k sales is incredible. 

I really don't understand why they are so reluctant to support the platform. 

Q: What were the regional unit sales for Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers? (Ultra Street Fighter II, below)

A: 100 thousand units in Japan, and a combined 350 thousand units in Europe and North America.

Q: Following the sales results of Ultra Street Fighter II, what will Capcom's approach to the Nintendo Switch be going forward?

A: The Nintendo Switch seems to be doing very well, and we look forward to further growth in its install base. Beginning with Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) Nintendo Switch Ver. for Japan, we are evaluating how we will support this platform in the future.

Edited by liger05
  • Like 2

Yeah, that CAPCOM comment is bizarre. In the pursuit of westernising their franchises and not really seeing fantastic sales, I am surprised they didn't at least hit Switch hard with more ports ala Revelations 1/2. 

Considering they had access to prototype hardware and asked for the extra RAM, not being there day one was incredibly short-sighted and bizarre. 

Unfortunately many of the Japanese powerhouse developers seem lost in translation - forgetting what made them fantastic in the first place. I was delighted to see Bomberman on Switch and with such sales expected more Konami buy-in and  recognition that the good old-fashioned mascot games like Mega Man would suit the Nintendo eco-system. 

Due to the GCN exclusives that never appeared (wasn't it meant to be 5 games?!) and the WiiU bomba maybe there is history?

I bought USF2 and want this system to boom and the games to follow. Maybe when there are enough units in Japan, developers such as CAPCOM and NAMCO etc. will start putting a few more big hitters on the system (and might own one and see how cool it is!)

if that doesn't happen, I'll just presume money-hatting is the answer to it all...

• Like 1

On 03/03/2017 at 11:43 AM, Ashley said:

I think the fact people are leaving the SW- at the start of their friend codes when posting shows its a system that definitely has flaws ;)

Just feels like switch users get treated differently. I understand after the wii u bombed sceptism but switch has sold well and software sales have been good. I don't know what they expect from MH on switch but that's a 3DS game so the it won't shift mega mega units. If it doesn't do crazy sales does Capcom then ditch the platform as it sounds like they are waiting to see how it performs before committing to other projects.

They definitely didn't expect SF2 to do so well and that was clearly a bonus for them. 

Stop treating everything as a test and either support the platform properly or not. 

On 31/07/2017 at 6:57 PM, Vileplume2000 said:

I'm really liking them. Again not perfect but I love aiming arrows in zelda. Kinda gutted that there isn't any in Overcooked. 

I agree that people need to get used to them but there are ways to make it better. For instance I almost never use the grip. My brain seems much happier when I'm just aiming with my right joycon rather than the whole unit or both controllers. 

My biggest gripe atm is splatoon. The fact that the cameras vertical axis can only be controlled by motion controls is stupid, when the horizontal is both stick and motion . And I can't change the sensitivity settings separately for horizontal and vertical? Really? 

15 hours ago, tapedeck said:

Due to the GCN exclusives that never appeared (wasn't it meant to be 5 games?!) and the WiiU bomba maybe there is history?

Didn't they release Viewtiful Joe, PN03 and a few others exclusively? 

38 minutes ago, Rob3008 said:

Didn't they release Viewtiful Joe, PN03 and a few others exclusively? 

PN03 was the only one to stay exclusive. Resident Evil 4, Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe were eventually ported to the PS2. The final game (Dead Phoenix ) never saw the light of day.

I remember being hyped over that announcement only to be left feeling salty as all my PS2-loving friends rubbed it in when they slipped on to the PS2. Sad thing was that none of them bought any of the games other than Resi 4! I'd love VJoe to appear in Smash. :)

Don't be sad, @tapedeck, you can be safe in the knowledge that Resi 4 PS2 is easily one of the worst versions. All it had was Seperate Ways, 2 costumes and a whole load of downsides.

• Like 2

Yep.... Shitty shitty fog being the main one. I'll stick with my nice GCN volumetric fog thanks! 

• Like 3

Taken from Take 2's Interactive's latest earnings call 

large.jpg

We were excited six months ago and supportive. We’re excited now. We have NBA 2K and WWE 2K coming for Switch. The sales have been great. We expect sales to continue to be great, we’re very optimistic around the platform, we’re very supportive of Nintendo. So the only thing that’s changed in the last six months is our initial belief, has been reinforced by the early very strong results.

http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-eventDetails&EventId=5259056

Wheelbarrow that GTA money please Reggie

Just got back from my holiday and my switch didn't make it back with me... Think, hope, I left it on the plane, only chance I have of it getting it back. Was fucking gagging to play Splatoon 2 tonight as well...

I'm presuming it won't be difficult for me to redownload all my games again? just no game data - damn you Nintendo and no cloud saves....

Also damn them for the console being sold out everywhere still if I need to buy a new one...

Sorry to hear that, dazzybee. I just hope someone honest hands it in/finds it. Given the shortage of stock I imagine there's a lot of people out there who would either keep it or sell it on.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

Just got back from my holiday and my switch didn't make it back with me... Think, hope, I left it on the plane, only chance I have of it getting it back. Was fucking gagging to play Splatoon 2 tonight as well...

I'm presuming it won't be difficult for me to redownload all my games again? just no game data - damn you Nintendo and no cloud saves....

Also damn them for the console being sold out everywhere still if I need to buy a new one...

Damn, sorry to hear about that.

You'll have to ring Nintendo to deactivate your old Switch before you can redownload the games onto your new one; there's currently no way to deactivate your console remotely by yourself.

After it has been deactivated though, it's just a matter of logging into the eShop on your new Switch and redownloading everything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dazzybee said:

Devastated for you.

I'm pretty sure that if left on the plane staff would hand it in as lost property. General public will be too eager to get off the plane to look for forgotten items to half-inch.

It demonstrates the need for save backups for Switch. This is something even the 3DS had (albeit a faff to use, but it's something). This should be a priority for Nintendo; we don't need cryptic comments from Reggie, we need a concrete answer as to why Switch didn't launch with save back ups and what they'll do (and when) to fix this. For most people the system is insured and could be replaced. The saves are not replaceable.

• Like 2

That sucks dazzy. My brother's switch got the BSOD a few weeks ago and Nintendo couldn't recover the data, so he's had to start all over again on Zelda losing over 100 hours of progress. Nintendo really need to get their asses into gear with cloud saves, we shouldn't have the fear of losing our data always hanging over us. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, david.dakota said:

Devastated for you.

I'm pretty sure that if left on the plane staff would hand it in as lost property. General public will be too eager to get off the plane to look for forgotten items to half-inch.

It demonstrates the need for save backups for Switch. This is something even the 3DS had (albeit a faff to use, but it's something). This should be a priority for Nintendo; we don't need cryptic comments from Reggie, we need a concrete answer as to why Switch didn't launch with save back ups and what they'll do (and when) to fix this. For most people the system is insured and could be replaced. The saves are not replaceable.

I would say it's baffling as to why we haven't got a cloud save option but it just goes hand in hand with the rest of Nintendo's very basic online setup. While stuff like messaging and party chat may be seen as fluff by many, the option to backup ones save should have been there on day one.

“It really is about thinking through how to do this in a way that makes good business sense but also is something that the consumer is really going to be excited about,” Fils-Aimé said.

Good business sense? Getting the consumer excited? It sounds like its once again a case of Nintendo trying to spin what is already a simple solution into something that it need not be. Just let players copy their saves onto an online server. It's that simple. 

If this doesn't launch with their online setup next year then I have little hope that it will ever be an option.

@dazzybee has your Switch been located yet?

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2