NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

2 hours ago, liger05 said:

There was a Eurogamer article prior to the Switch launch which made the point that Nintendo simply don't care about things like party chat, game invites and multiplayer connectivity like the others do. It's just not in their DNA and never likely to be. 

I think the switch, the app and the way it works just proves that point. Multiplayer experiences with friends is an afterthought for Nintendo. Yes they make it possible but it's bare bones and done with as little effort as possible. 

Ironically it's in DeNA's DNA

Also, Multiplayer experiences with friends are the core aspect of Nintendo's strategies. They just prefer people to play locally

22 minutes ago, Serebii said:

Ironically it's in DeNA's DNA

Also, Multiplayer experiences with friends are the core aspect of Nintendo's strategies. They just prefer people to play locally

"They just prefer people to play locally"

Makes me smile.

Nintendo: "Fuck those that have friends who own Switches in different cities!" :laughing:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kav said:

"They just prefer people to play locally"

Makes me smile.

Nintendo: "Fuck those that have friends who own Switches in different cities!" :laughing:

Damn straight :p

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kav said:

This App and its features (and the industry standard features it's lacking) should've been on the Switch hardware at OS level from the start, there's no way around that, it simply should have been and it's appalling that it isn't.

Q. What about when it's docked?

A. Bluetooth headset.

Nintendo should not be let off for yet another awful alternative nobody asked for!

Nintendon't

Blueotooth?  BLUETOOTH!?!?!?

Are you forgetting that Switch can't communicate with the Joy-Con if any other wireless device is within a square mile

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Clownferret said:

Blueotooth?  BLUETOOTH!?!?!?

Are you forgetting that Switch can't communicate with the Joy-Con if any other wireless device is within a square mile

This is why it shouldn't have had detachable controllers and should've shipped with the Pro Controller... yep, I went there! Haha

The disappointing thing is that this app would a really great thing if it was simply an optional way of doing voice chat.

If it was all on the system, with support for 3.5mm, USB and bluetooth headsets (they could even release a Wii Speak-like mic for a cheap docked option) and also had this app, then it would be ideal for most people. On top of that, the media would also be able to focus a little bit more on the companion app nature of it - I think it's great having all "companion apps" for a platform under one main app (having one for each game would be a pain). 

Just now, Cube said:

The disappointing thing is that this app would a really great thing if it was simply an optional way of doing voice chat.

If it was all on the system, with support for 3.5mm, USB and bluetooth headsets (they could even release a Wii Speak-like mic for a cheap docked option) and also had this app, then it would be ideal for most people. On top of that, the media would also be able to focus a little bit more on the companion app nature of it - I think it's great having all "companion apps" for a platform under one main app (having one for each game would be a pain). 

I was thinking exactly the same thing. As an optional thing it would be great. But having it as the only way and then having all of these other issues with the app makes the whole thing seem terrible. It is ridiculous that you cannot send a message to someone on your friends list within the Switch it self for a simple invite to play something. 

Yeah I've said all along.  If the app was an extra/different way it would be really progressive and something to make them stand out.  As it is..

The ratings on the playstore are slowly going down. Once splatoon 2 is out the app reviews are going to be savage. 

I think it would be pretty bad even as a supplement. Sound quality wouldn't be good when talking like on a speakerphone and that's what other people would hear in the games.

Using wireless headphones on your phone... no wires, this isn't as horrific as people are making out. Even the multitasking thing, which is stupid, and I expect to be sorted by next year, but still, are you looking at other phone apps when playing games and chatting? It's not a big deal but people here get so stressed about things.

I'm more annoyed at the lack of messaging on the app and bots/drop-in multiplayer in the game; but then voice chat isn't important to me at all. I pretty much never ever do it on the PS4. 

12 hours ago, Clownferret said:

I'm on holiday from next week and want to download a couple of games. I've already got the neogeo golf game. What's the best fighting game on eshop and also a two player shoot em up plus ant other must haves.

Cheers 

Shovel Knight, Cave Story... Kamiko is a great cheap game you can bash through quickly. Tetris Puyo puyo is on sale and if you like puzzle game then amazing.

As for fighting game - arms :)  Other than that I presume the Neo geo ones, either King of Fighters 98 or Samurai Showdown I presume... As far as retro classics!

As for shoot em up... I have Blazing Skies, that's 2 player, pretty good, nothing amazing, but good for a quick blast.

13 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

are you looking at other phone apps when playing games and chatting?

Absolutely. I use WhatsApp, Reddit, news Apps and Spotify whenever I play games and chat with mates.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

...are you looking at other phone apps when playing games and chatting? 

Yeah. I'd have thought it was commonplace..?

But you’re playing games... you mean in between games? Just warn them you’re checking Twitter, back in 2 🤣 it will clearly get fixed. But a bit mad it can’t multitask out the gate. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

Using wireless headphones on your phone... no wires, this isn't as horrific as people are making out. Even the multitasking thing, which is stupid, and I expect to be sorted by next year, but still, are you looking at other phone apps when playing games and chatting? It's not a big deal but people here get so stressed about things.

I'm more annoyed at the lack of messaging on the app and bots/drop-in multiplayer in the game; but then voice chat isn't important to me at all. I pretty much never ever do it on the PS4. 

Some of us have friends and partners who like to Holla on social media and apps like WhatsApp. 

Why would you think the multitasking thing would be sorted? Don't you find it concerning they actually released an app which can't run in the background. Seems pretty basic stuff to me. 

Let's not forget the phone screen constantly having to be on non stop. Not something I'll do with a super amoled screen. Higher risk of screen burn in. 

Edited by liger05

1 minute ago, dazzybee said:

But you’re playing games... you mean in between games?

Nope, during games. Even during CoD I often text people on WhatsApp or check news.

Most importantly: I use the Spotify App to choose what music is playing.

Voice chat via Nintendo's app would be interrupted every 2 minutes...

7 minutes ago, liger05 said:

Some of us have friends and partners who like to Holla on social media and apps like WhatsApp. 

Why would you think the multitasking thing would be sorted? Don't you find it concerning they actually released an app which can't run in the background. Seems pretty basic stuff to me. 

Let's not forget the phone screen constantly having to be on non stop. Not something I'll do with a super amoled screen. Higher risk of screen burn in. 

Because of course it will. Why wouldn’t it? They released it because they wanted it for splatoon. They delayed the whole service until next year because it isn’t ready. This app isn’t close to  being ready. 

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Nope, during games. Even during CoD I often text people on WhatsApp or check news.

Most importantly: I use the Spotify App to choose what music is playing.

Voice chat via Nintendo's app would be interrupted every 2 minutes...

That’s just beyond ridiculous in my eyes. Some serious attention problems...

and listening to music too... is that as well as game music and sound or that muted? Imagine listening to game sounds, game music, spotty music,  voice chatting,  needing two hands to play the game but still texting and checking news all at the same time 🤣🤣🤣🤣

7 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

That’s just beyond ridiculous in my eyes. Some serious attention problems...

Excuse me?

and listening to music too... is that as well as game music and sound or that muted? Imagine listening to game sounds, game music, spotty music,  voice chatting,  needing two hands to play the game but still texting and checking news all at the same time

Ingame music is off, game sounds are on. Spotify is at a decent volume. I can hear everything (game sounds and voice chat).

I don't need to imagine that. It's what I do on a regular basis.

10 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Excuse me?

Ingame music is off, game sounds are on. Spotify is at a decent volume. I can hear everything (game sounds and voice chat).

I don't need to imagine that. It's what I do on a regular basis.

Fair enough. To each their own. I like to fully engage with what I do, especially if I’m talking to friendst (and playing games)... considering we can’t truly multitask an’ all. Having that much different stimulus and activity is a little mind boggling to me...

why do you feel the need/want to check news, text people and such in the middle of a game, while at the same time chatting to a friend?

Do you do this face-to-face too, or just when playing games?

58 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

considering we can’t truly multitask an’ all. Having that much different stimulus and activity is a little mind boggling to me...

Well, in my time as an Air Traffic Controller I've gotten quite good at multitasking. Focussing on many different things and voices is not a big deal for me (not trying to toot my own horn). That's why I'm able to talk, listen to my friends, listen to music, check whatever is going on on my phone and play video games at the same time.

why do you feel the need/want to check news, text people and such in the middle of a game, while at the same time chatting to a friend?

It's definitely not something I need to do. But it's something I've always done. I remember playing Diablo II years ago...I've alt-tabbed out of it and back so many times to check ICQ (oh Lord... :D) and news on my browser while in the midst of a session, music playing and Teamspeak running. I like being up to date with stuff I'm interested in. And I like chatting with friends (via voice chats or texts) as much as I can.

Do you do this face-to-face too, or just when playing games?

Only while playing online.

When I'm with friends I almost never use my phone.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

Because of course it will. Why wouldn’t it? They released it because they wanted it for splatoon. They delayed the whole service until next year because it isn’t ready. This app isn’t close to  being ready. 

But that's not good enough. They deserve all the stick they are getting as it's not our problem if nintendo can't get a capable app out now. 

1 hour ago, liger05 said:

But that's not good enough. They deserve all the stick they are getting as it's not our problem if nintendo can't get a capable app out now. 

Agreed. They shouldn’t have released it in this state. It’s infuriatingly backward and a worrying sign of the future. I do think this, but was just trying to provide a little balance. 

Edited by dazzybee

I use my phone in between rounds etc.

Or if I'm playing against @Blade I'll use it, as a handicap for him. :cheeky:

• Like 2