NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I haven't got a Switch yet because I needed Nintendo to prove that they really had learned their lesson this time and the online will be great when it arrives... they're doing a fantastic job at saving me money so far. 

Its a joke that this far into the Switch we're only just getting a 'basic' version of their online service and it's even worse that it's a complete shambles. 

Are DENA helping with this? Because it they are then that venture was a waste of money. This is laughable, truly laughable. I could get a better online experience on my fucking Dreamcast. 

I am so done. 

• Like 2

The online app has a pretty comprehensive feedback section so im sure if enough people ask for certain features there is a good chance of it getting added.

I'm on holiday from next week and want to download a couple of games. I've already got the neogeo golf game. What's the best fighting game on eshop and also a two player shoot em up plus ant other must haves.

Cheers 

Reggie chats shit!! 

Nintendo in 2017 still lagging behind the 2002 version of Xbox live. Great job. 

The bigger vision is that we are going to provide an overall online service, subscription-based, that not only will capture the multiplayer opportunity, but also the voice chat capability that we’re going to provide through a global app. We think that that’s just as important as access to Virtual Console content.

The reason for that is, it continues to reinforce our commitment to online, and do so in a way that will enable the consumer to enjoy their Nintendo Switch and to still be able to play those connected experiences—like Splatoon, like Kart, like fill in the blank—while they’re on the go. Instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you’ll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that’s a pretty sweet solution. That’s part of the overall opportunity that we see in a subscription service.

I do completely understand why this stuff is shifted away from the Switch and into the app. I mean it's ridiculous but I get it. They just needed to make sure the app proved its worth and, unfortunately, it's not the case right now.

Everything else about the Switch's online is fine with me though

Edited by Serebii
  • Like 1

Some highlights from NeoGaf.

continue to disappoint us with her online offering

This is embarrassing.

This is fucking embarrassing.

This is something else

So stupid.

Utter idiocy. exactly what was expected.

fucking mistake

This is like failure inception

Today we know that it is absolute shit.

I'm actually looking forward to Reggie spin this shitstorm into something positive

This is indefensible.

15 years we have known about what quality online services should look like on consoles. 15 years.

inconceivable that a company can so readily f#&k up

I honestly hope this game bombs

seeing it makes it way funnier and sad.

they're fucking up on purpose

So this is where we are before the app has even officially launched. 

Looking forward to those record Splatoon 2 sales and massive number of people signing up to the paid online service when it launches.

2 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Some highlights from NeoGaf.

So this is where we are before the app has even officially launched. 

Looking forward to those record Splatoon 2 sales and massive number of people signing up to the paid online service when it launches.

]jhnhdroaqydhymtsd499.jpg

Nintendo do need to sort elements of this out. Make it so the app doesn't kill it when certain things come up and so forth.

I do get why they've gone the app route, but they need to improve the app considerably. It's not as doomsaying or "backwards" as people make it out to be

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Serebii said:

I do get why they've gone the app route, but they need to improve the app considerably. It's not as doomsaying or "backwards" as people make it out to be

I think anyone who knows what Nintendo is about can understand why they've gone down the app route. I've left them my feedback in the app, I hope they'll consider the suggestions I made. I mean, look at how the Switch looked on March 3rd compared to how it looks now, in three and a half months it's gone through some pretty decent changes and added some functionality. The app will look completely different by the time the paid service launches, I'll make my judgment at the time whether it's worth it or not, not on what is essentially a free day-one beta. In six months time, I'm sure I'll be sat with a glass of sancerre, nostalgically flicking through the now bookmarked pages of unbridled outrage, still failing to understand how Nintendo's biggest critics are often the ones that throw the most money at them. 

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 1

Just now, Nicktendo said:

I think anyone who knows what Nintendo is about can understand why they've gone down the app route. I've left them my feedback in the app, I hope they'll consider the suggestions I made. I mean, look at how the Switch looked on May 3rd compared to how it looks now, in three and a half months it's gone through some pretty decent changes and added some functionality. The app will look completely different by the time the paid service launches. In six months time, I'm sure I'll be sat with a glass of sancerre, nostalgically flicking through the now bookmarked pages of unbridled outrage, still failing to understand how Nintendo's biggest critics are often the ones that throw the most money at them. 

I get why they brought it out now. It's just so unfortunate that it's not the full package and has those two major issues.

I just don't get how they brought DeNA in and this happened

7 minutes ago, Serebii said:

]jhnhdroaqydhymtsd499.jpg

Nintendo do need to sort elements of this out. Make it so the app doesn't kill it when certain things come up and so forth.

Of course it's backwards. Anything which is a step back on what we have already is inherently backwards. 

The app is is clearly poorly designed considering the limitations it has. Don't you find it ridiculous that Nintendo even allow such an app to go to market.  

I would not be surprised if nintendo look at the feedback and complaints and are saying to themselves 'what is the problem here'? 'We have given people what they want'. 

• Like 2

In current condition, this app is an absolute nightmare.

If the aim is to move the chat to a phone to avoid "bulky gamer headsets" then fine. I don't ageee but I understand.

But then why is there no party chat on the app? Why is it limited to one game and only talking to teams in game? Why is it friends only for everyone despite the fact the Switch also has an app for parental controls to protect the kids?

I don't agree with the app in itself but I'm prepared to give it a go once they catch up to every one else's services circa 2005.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DazzeL said:

In current condition, this app is an absolute nightmare.

If the aim is to move the chat to a phone to avoid "bulky gamer headsets" then fine. I don't ageee but I understand.

But then why is there no party chat on the app? Why is it limited to one game and only talking to teams in game? Why is it friends only for everyone despite the fact the Switch also has an app for parental controls to protect the kids?

I don't agree with the app in itself but I'm prepared to give it a go once they catch up to every one else's services circa 2005.

This. I wasn't keen on the app but was prepared to give it a chance. Now if the app had messaging, could run in the background, had Bluetooth and didn't limit ones phone usage then yeah I could work with that.

This however isn't worth it at all. I am not leaving my phone on non stop just to use voice chat. 

• Like 1

If they really wanted to move away from a 'bulky headset' then why not just allow people to use earphones on the switch (as they do) and put a mic on the switch?

If they really wanted to protect children then why make them need a phone to chat? A lot worse can be done with a phone than a console.

I don't see any excuse for this.

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

If they really wanted to move away from a 'bulky headset' then why not just allow people to use earphones on the switch (as they do) and put a mic on the switch?

2ZdagssrRkBG8tsIzg28lQ-UQoAUvNBc6Rxig-bp

Can't you see? This is how they move away from the bulky headset situation.

(sorry, guys. This Nintendo online fiasco is absolutely hilarious to me :p )

• Like 1

Just now, Sheikah said:

If they really wanted to protect children then why make them need a phone to chat? A lot worse can be done with a phone than a console.

I don't see any excuse for this.

That makes too much sense for Nintendo to do. Why do that when you can instead can come up with a convoluted solution that nobody asked for. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

2ZdagssrRkBG8tsIzg28lQ-UQoAUvNBc6Rxig-bp

Can't you see? This is how they move away from the bulky headset situation.

(sorry, guys. This Nintendo online fiasco is absolutely hilarious to me :p )

You know that's a third party solution right? :p

Nintendo's solution is just a phone

1 minute ago, Serebii said:

I know. Let me have some fun. Nothing to do at work...

I've left feedback slating them.

At this point, in 2017, after Party Chat has been a thing for so damn long now, they don't deserve constructive criticism, they deserve a bashing!

Edited by Kav

13 minutes ago, Serebii said:

Nintendo's solution is just a phone

But why didn't they just add a mic to the actual system so you didn't even need a phone.

33 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

But why didn't they just add a mic to the actual system so you didn't even need a phone.

Well the Switch really is densely packed internally.

Plus what if it's docked

If I'm honest I'd be totally happy with the app as a replacement for whatever means of talking on a mic, if it worked really well.

And we can't just keep saying "this is their first attempt, this is a beta, it will get better in the future". They should be getting these things right first time, plus the games that this functionality is wanted for are out now.

This App and its features (and the industry standard features it's lacking) should've been on the Switch hardware at OS level from the start, there's no way around that, it simply should have been and it's appalling that it isn't.

Q. What about when it's docked?

A. Bluetooth headset.

Nintendo should not be let off for yet another awful alternative nobody asked for!

Nintendon't

There was a Eurogamer article prior to the Switch launch which made the point that Nintendo simply don't care about things like party chat, game invites and multiplayer connectivity like the others do. It's just not in their DNA and never likely to be. 

I think the switch, the app and the way it works just proves that point. Multiplayer experiences with friends is an afterthought for Nintendo. Yes they make it possible but it's bare bones and done with as little effort as possible. 

The idea of trying make things for the gamer as easiest and quick as possible is alien to Nintendo.

It's nothing to do with it being there first effort as like has been said before its not as if they are going into it blind. There are other devices, other apps, other services which can all be referenced from to see what they do well. 

Edited by liger05
  • Like 1

The Parental Controls app just got an update.  Gives a more detailed breakdown of time spent playing each game (you can actually see how many hours/minutes you spent on each game on each day now).

Annoyingly though, there's still no detailed monthly breakdown (it shows the time split across all games played throughout the month, but only as a bar, not as a numerical value; making it near useless for posting activity logs online - come on Nintendo!! Sort it out!)

• Like 1

Wii U's voice chat options are suddenly a lot more appealing, huh? Hilarious.

• Like 1