NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Well that's disappointing. Even the Wii U allowed you to send messages to friends. I hope they add a way to send text messages through the switch's menu in the future, just so you can send a simple message asking if someone wants to play Mario Kart or whatever.

And while I'm thinking of things I'd like added to the Switch, I'd also like to be able to upload screenshots I'd to imgur. Right now the options are for Twitter and Facebook, I don't have a facebook account and I don't really want to flood my twitter account with screenshots tbh

For some reason all three consoles of this generation have lost features their predecessors had.  They tend to eventually come back though.

I traded in some stuff in CEX to get a new set of Joy-Cons because there was a pair on display for £42, but turns out it was a solus in a pair box.  Should have known really but didn't think too much about it.  As it turns out as well the Joy-Cons aren't sold together by them and buying them separately can cost more than new (as the prices vary between side and colour).  Exploiting the lack of stock, clearly.  I guess I'll just use my money on something else.

For some reason all three consoles of this generation have lost features their predecessors had.  They tend to eventually come back though.

I traded in some stuff in CEX to get a new set of Joy-Cons because there was a pair on display for £42, but turns out it was a solus in a pair box.  Should have known really but didn't think too much about it.  As it turns out as well the Joy-Cons aren't sold together by them and buying them separately can cost more than new (as the prices vary between side and colour).  Exploiting the lack of stock, clearly.  I guess I'll just use my money on something else.

I always question the hygiene of the peripherals being sold there. For some reason their shops have a strange odour.

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

I always question the hygiene of the peripherals being sold there. For some reason their shops have a strange odour.

It's that mixture of sweat and depression

6 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Yeah I would check the conditions before buying a peripheral from there (not actually sure if I have purchased any in the past).  It was meant to be a money saving measure that didn't quite pan out.

Just looked around online to try and pick some up in store today and nowhere to be found.  LEARN WHAT INVENTORY IS NINTENDO -_-

Remember when Nintendo had to recall a bunch of Wii U systems and repackage them because they were selling so badly? I've never known a company as woefully incompetent at keeping decent stock levels of their products. 

And yeah I'm always wary of getting accessories from there too. When I got a used PS3 I felt so dirty using the controller. I eventually got a new controller to go with the old system. 

In light of the fact it costs about the same to get second hand and new I probably will get new (unless I find one in CEX that's unopened so I can use my voucher).  Or, I would get one new if I could find one.

17 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Just looked around online to try and pick some up in store today and nowhere to be found.  LEARN WHAT INVENTORY IS NINTENDO -_-

Flying off the shelves!

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Flying off the shelves!

Or poorly planned inventory.

Or a little from both columns in reality.

It's a shame the Splatoon ones aren't out already because I don't mind those colours, but the yellow ones are repulsive to me.

It's selling well but there have been consoles that sold at a much quicker rate. It's silly the amount of sales Nintendo are potentially losing out on due to lack of products in stores. 

I think they just ship the same amount of everything no matter what demand there is for it which is how we ended up with the GameCube halting production situation mid-way through its cycle and WiiU returns along with no Wii or Switch stuff in stores :p 

Tbh, with the demand of the Switch I can understand why they've been caught short. Given the Wii U situation I can appreciate why they were hesitant to commit to a large number of units. When they knew there was demand, I can't see why they wouldn't be pumping these out at full speed, as it's just money left on the table otherwise.

Remember when the Wii U was selling badly and they were still putting out statements saying it would outsell the Wii?  Amusing times.

I understand why we're in this situation.  Just annoyed that we are :heh:

• Like 1

They're competing with Apple for parts, hence the slow manufacturing.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Remember when the Wii U was selling badly and they were still putting out statements saying it would outsell the Wii?  Amusing times.

Got a link? I genuinely don't remember that.

Edited by Ronnie

10 hours ago, Ashley said:

but the yellow ones are repulsive to me.

You wash your filthy whore mouth out. :heh:

I loooove the yellow ones. 

But I do get they can be a bit full on. :)

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I understand why we're in this situation.  Just annoyed that we are :heh:

It's the economy! The industry isn't ready for a new console yet! Just you wait, the PS4 and One will struggle too! 

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

They're competing with Apple for parts, hence the slow manufacturing.

Got a link? I genuinely don't remember that.

Hmm I might be misremembering as I can't find a specific link.  I'm sure there was a year they put out their sales figures and things were looking bad but still kept projections as they were, but as I said I may simply be forgetting.

Reggie was saying back in June 2014 that the Wii U could outsell the PS4 and Xbox One.  Sixteen months later it finally outsold the Dreamcast.  But I guess Reggie's gonna Reg.

12 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

You wash your filthy whore mouth out. :heh:

I loooove the yellow ones. 

But I do get they can be a bit full on. :)

It's neon piss. Come on :heh:  I normally like garish colours but its just awful.

12 hours ago, Josh64 said:

It's the economy! The industry isn't ready for a new console yet! Just you wait, the PS4 and One will struggle too! 

This guy's prediction didn't age well: https://www.gamnesia.com/articles/bold-prediction-the-wii-u-will-outsell-the-playstation-4-and-xbox-one-this

• Like 2

Ronnie is right. According to numerous reports, Nintendo are increasing as much as possible, but there are similar parts required as there are to Apple devices and Apple is getting them causing them not to be quite able to manufacture as much as possible.

Nintendo isn't intentionally sitting on this thinking it's a good idea not to have stock.  Yes, they were caught off guard because they didn't want another situation as the Wii U where their launch inventory took a year to sell, but come on. The Switch was a risk, and one that is paying off but these fixes don't come overnight

Edited by Serebii

I never said that they were doing this intentionally or they weren't bothering to address it.  Just annoyed is all. 

27 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I never said that they were doing this intentionally or they weren't bothering to address it.  Just annoyed is all. 

I imagine they're pretty annoyed as well...

3 hours ago, Serebii said:

Nintendo isn't intentionally sitting on this thinking it's a good idea not to have stock. 

I think the unfortunate thing is that this particular problem - if we can call it that - has been going on for nearly 30 years now; I was watching some old NES and SNES news reports just the other evening and analysts - along with Nintendo's competitors - questioned whether or not they were holding back stock. 

Though I ultimately believe that these notions are completely unfounded (this isn't aimed at @Ashley's comments, but rather professional analysts and journalists who are serious when they suggest such things) in the case of the Switch - this is a company that just two years ago lost its President unexpectedly and went through a massive organisational restructure, yet has still managed to successfully launch a new and innovative console worldwide in major territories with a great software lineup that has attracted a huge audience: I'm willing to give them a pass - and it simply seems to be a case of poor timing, if anything, of a shortage that no-one in the industry was willing to predict, I do wonder if Nintendo truly would have aimed to produce twice as many Switch consoles this fiscal year if the components were so scarce.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Julius Caesar said:

I think the unfortunate thing is that this particular problem - if we can call it that - has been going on for nearly 30 years now; I was watching some old NES and SNES news reports just the other evening and analysts - along with Nintendo's competitors - questioned whether or not they were holding back stock. 

Though I ultimately believe that these notions are completely unfounded (this isn't aimed at @Ashley's comments, but rather professional analysts and journalists who are serious when they suggest such things) in the case of the Switch - this is a company that just two years ago lost its President unexpectedly and went through a massive organisational restructure, yet has still managed to successfully launch a new and innovative console worldwide in major territories with a great software lineup that has attracted a huge audience: I'm willing to give them a pass - and it simply seems to be a case of poor timing, if anything, of a shortage that no-one in the industry was willing to predict, I do wonder if Nintendo truly would have aimed to produce twice as many Switch consoles this fiscal year if the components were so scarce.

I don't think they would have because of how the Wii U went.

But it's not just the Switch is it though?  NES Mini, SNES Mini is set to go the same way (they will still produce more, but the fact it sells out in minutes is indicative that stock isn't meeting demands), various amiibo (amiibi?), Smash GameCube controller adaptor thing.  You have to question their ability to effectively project.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Ashley said:

Hmm I might be misremembering as I can't find a specific link.  I'm sure there was a year they put out their sales figures and things were looking bad but still kept projections as they were, but as I said I may simply be forgetting.

Reggie was saying back in June 2014 that the Wii U could outsell the PS4 and Xbox One.  Sixteen months later it finally outsold the Dreamcast.  But I guess Reggie's gonna Reg.

It's fine, I've mis-remembered things on here in the past, like the Uncharted 4 release date, but Nintendo never said Wii U would outsell Wii when it was doing badly.

Reggie saying it could outsell PS4/One was 8 or 9 months after the PS4 launched and the year Nintendo released DK, MK8, Smash and Bayonetta. Also given the Wii dominated PS3 and the 360, it wasn't that far fetched. Nintendo have a habit of turning struggling consoles around like the DS and 3DS they ended up being very successful, just didn't happen with the Wii U and maybe he figured Kart and Smash would give it a similar boost.

But it's not just the Switch is it though?  NES Mini, SNES Mini is set to go the same way (they will still produce more, but the fact it sells out in minutes is indicative that stock isn't meeting demands), various amiibo (amiibi?), Smash GameCube controller adaptor thing.  You have to question their ability to effectively project.

The NES Mini shortages were stupid, but they were launching a new console soon after and probably didn't want it to take up shelf space/conversation that could have been taken up by Switch. SNES Mini we have no idea how in demand it'll end up being. Amiibo was a brand new business for them, and the Gamecube controller adapter, I guess they didn't think it would be a big seller. I didn't even realise there were shortages of that?

Edited by Ronnie