NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I made a comment in another thread about how Sony and Microsoft were having a bit of a PR nightmare at E3 and that Reggie had been good this year. Well...

So let me get this straight, he thinks that making updates to an app on phones, of which there are many different models and a couple of different operating systems is easier than pushing an update on Nintendo's own console, which they know the ins and outs of? Okay.....

So basically they know that people want it but they don't have a solution for it. Once Nintendo showing that they haven't a clue when it comes to online setup/features.

You were so close to making it through E3 without saying anything dumb, Reggie. So close.

Bwahaha. Saying that running app updates by the iOS and Android app review process will be quicker than if they did their own application is one thing. But arguing that phones are ubiquitous as a way to justify routing voice chat through them?

I'll tell you what else is pretty damn ubiquitous for people trying to connect their Nintendo Switches online - the Nintendo Switch!! I can say with certainty that 100% of people in this situation have one! Why not try routing voice chat through that? :idea:

Edited by Sheikah

Bwahaha. Saying that running app updates by the iOS and Android app review process will be quicker than if they did their own application is one thing. But arguing that phones are ubiquitous as a way to justify routing voice chat through them?

I'll tell you what else is pretty damn ubiquitous for people trying to connect their Nintendo Switches online - the Nintendo Switch!! I can say with certainty that 100% of people in this situation have one! Why not try routing voice chat through that? :idea:

It's crazy just how tone deaf they are in regards to this situation. I care not for the comment of "We hear you". If you hear us then do something about this stupid replacement for a system that works perfectly.

Interesting interview with Reggie from Mashable on its way. Doesn't exactly clear anything up, but it expands on some of his earlier statements (and, as is always a risk with Reggie, not in the best of ways...);

M: I wanted to ask about the Switch. There's still no file management system. Is that something that's incoming? Is it a concern over piracy?

RFA: Our focus in launching Nintendo Switch was to make it a stellar game-playing device. In driving that focus there were elements that we knew needed to come later. Like Nintendo Switch Online. Like other services — the Netflix and Amazon Primes of the world. With that as background, we are keenly aware of all of the things that consumers are asking for.

For us, it really is about thinking through how to do this in a way that makes good business sense but also is something that the consumer is really going to be excited about. We’re aware of requests around cloud saves or file management, we’re certainly aware of all the requests for legacy content, we’re aware of consumers asking for ways to have multiple devices linked to one particular account, we’re aware of all of those. What we’re trying to do is deliver positive steps on all of these areas but in a way that is prioritized and makes sense for us.

M: What if my Switch breaks? I lose all my Breath of the Wild progress.

RFA: It is well understood. For a person who has 100 shrines, I understand the concern about losing all your data. For us it’s all about, OK, how can we do this in a way that makes sense for the consumer, that makes sense for us, that’s what we’re working for.

M: Is it a question of how functionally it’s going to work? Whether it’s going to be cloud saves or whether or it’s going to be an SD card?

RFA: It’s everything from not only how is it going to work but it’s also how we do this in a way that doesn’t lend itself to piracy or systems or our core software infrastructure that can be modded or hacked. Those are all of the things that we need to think about from a business standpoint.

M: So it’s a matter of safeguarding around these features?

RFA: We need to create them, we need to safeguard them, we need to deliver them to the consumer the way that makes sense.

M: So what’s on the list of priorities for the Switch? What’s coming next?

RFA: One of the big things that’s coming next is Nintendo Switch Online. That’ll come next year. We’ve talked broadly about some of the capabilities, the voice chat capabilities, the ability to invite players into a connected experience. We’ve said that legacy content is going to play a role in this. That’s a big priority for us. And getting it right so the consumer says, "For a $20 annual subscription, this is a no-brainer, this is easy for me to participate, and look at all of the benefits I get." Delivering that in an effective way is a high priority.

M: So on this list of priorities that you have, where does save file management fit, and where does virtual console fit?

RFA: Certainly the virtual console aspect is going to be part of what we do in terms of making some legacy content available with the Nintendo Switch Online. In terms of the file management, all I can say is stay tuned.

Edited by Julius Caesar

OK, how can we do this in a way that makes sense for the consumer, that makes sense for us, that’s what we’re working for.

Easy: Provide cloud saves and the ability to backup saves to an SD card. Makes sense for literally everyone. What is so fucking difficult about it?

Edit: Should've read the next paragraph, too. But still...others can do it easily so...

Again Reggie isn't really saying anything. There is no real answer to the question.

Things such as file management and cloud saves should of been on the priority list when the console was being developed. It's ridiculous that this wasn't something they thought was priority but are only now addressing this.

It's a real shitty way to treat the consumer. What he said was if it doesn't make sense for Nintendo then everyone else can get screwed. Nice Reggie, real nice.

The online sub will likely involve cloud data which again will be anti consumer if the only way you can save data is by paying for a service.

Edited by liger05

Easy: Provide cloud saves and the ability to backup saves to an SD card. Makes sense for literally everyone. What is so fucking difficult about it?

Edit: Should've read the next paragraph, too. But still...others can do it easily so...

Exactly. The other console makers have had cloud saves for years now. Once again Reggie speaks a lot but says very little of value.

Sounds like the Virtual Console is miles away.. if it even comes at all :hmm:

It sounds like it's all tied into the paid online system but wasn't it mentioned that they are a separate thing? I dunno, the whole is just a mess at the moment. I dunno why they can't just give us a straight answer about the service.

Exactly. The other console makers have had cloud saves for years now. Once again Reggie speaks a lot but says very little of value.

It's something I don't understand. Unless they really don't have a plan (which I highly doubt) he could give answers to provide his customers with information on what to expect.

As it stands it's basically: "Yeah, look. Buy the Switch and standby for further information."

No thanks.

seems to work for a lot of people, though...

The online sub will likely involve cloud data which again will be anti consumer if the only way you can save data is by paying for a service.

Sony, and I think Microsoft, only offer cloud saves if you subscribe to PSN and Live. If cloud saves come to the Switch then they will no doubt be part of the yearly subscription, just like the competitions consoles.

Sony, and I think Microsoft, only offer cloud saves if you subscribe to PSN and Live. If cloud saves come to the Switch then they will no doubt be part of the yearly subscription, just like the competitions consoles.

PSN you do but if not you can save to USB.

Live doesn't charge for cloud data saves which makes sense as you can't use USB on xb1 to save data.

Nintendo offer no option at all and we just guessing cloud storage will be part of the online sub. Knowing this company I would not be surprised if this time next year the same questions are being asked. File management, VC and Reggie responding with the same BS.

Edited by liger05

PSN you do but if not you can save to USB.

Live doesn't charge for cloud data saves which makes sense as you can't use USB on xb1 to save data.

Nintendo offer no option at all and we just guessing cloud storage will be part of the online sub. Knowing this company I would not be surprised if this time next year the same questions are being asked. File management, VC and Reggie responding with the same BS.

I forgot you can just backup data via a usb stick. I wouldn't care as I just done that a few weeks ago with my Injustice 2 file. :p

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the Xbox. It's been a long time since I used the cloud save feature ( used to upload them back in the 360 days ) so I wasn't sure if it was locked behind Live. Thanks for clearing that up.

It sounds like it's all tied into the paid online system but wasn't it mentioned that they are a separate thing? I dunno, the whole is just a mess at the moment. I dunno why they can't just give us a straight answer about the service.

I feel like Reggie is just referring to the NES games as the 'legacy content' accompanying Nintendo Online. If all the typical VC games are tied to being a subscriber, it'll be heartbreaking!

Hopefully the service will offer small discounts on downloadable titles for subscribers and that's how they tie it all together rather than only being able to play while your subscription is active.

Fun game: read anything Reggie says in Theresa May's voice. They really are similarly evasive when answering questions.

Surely there's going to be a big OS update soon for things. What's weird is he seems to suggest they are prioritising various things, but they're a big company, why should it be one or the other, why not just everything!!

I personally just think he's not allowed, or doesn't want, to give any details so just not telling us, but hopefully we know soon. The virtual console thing is worrying as it's perfect for the system, yet they don't seem to think so. I think they've had a slight change of how to approach the VC so can't tell us anything yet.

The success of the console gives them even more time though as there's no pressure for it.

The Confederations Cup has started and a couple of teams have been spotted playing on their Switches.

Australian team

DCXDIrXXcAIZrEU.jpg

Chilean team kicking back with Mario Kart

https://streamable.com/5lv3y

Chile even went one further and done this when they scored a goal. :D

M5DBC9.jpg

Fifa on switch will be extremely popular with football teams when they travel.

3.0 firmware update is live. Not much new stuff, mostly general QOL improvements.

Oh and you can now use pro controllers wired by plugging into the system or dock directly, neat.

Nintendo Switch - now 3.0 times more stable.

3.0 firmware update is live. Not much new stuff, mostly general QOL improvements.

Oh and you can now use pro controllers wired by plugging into the system or dock directly, neat.

Nintendo Switch - now 3.0 times more stable.

The update includes quite a few cool things; check this list out;

Improvements Included in Version 3.0.0

Added the following system functionality

- Register a channel to receive News for specific games

To register, head to News > Find Channels

- Add friends from your Nintendo 3DS and Wii U Friend Lists

To add friends, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Friend Suggestions

- Receive notifications when your Friends go online

To turn this ON/OFF, head to System Settings > Notifications > Friend Notifications

- Find paired controllers within communication range by activating the vibration feature

To search, head to Controllers > Find Controllers

- Change the user icon order on the Home Menu

To change order, head to System Settings > Users > Change Order

- Select from 6 new Splatoon 2 characters for user icon

To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile

- Change the system volume from the Quick Settings

To access Quick Settings, hold down the HOME Button

- Lower the maximum volume for headphone or speakers connected to the audio jack

To lower the max headphone volume, head to System Settings > System > Lower Max Headphone Volume

* This settings will be ON when Parental Controls are enabled

- Change display colors to Invert Colors or Grayscale

To use this feature, head to System Settings > System > Change Display Colors

- Connect a USB keyboard to the dock to type whenever the keyboard is on the screen

- Use the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller via wired communication by connecting the USB charging cable

To enable, head to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Pro Controller Wired Communication

* The NFC touchpoint on the Pro Controller will be disabled while the controller is using wired communication.

- Update connected controllers

To update, head to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Update Controllers

- Added a feature that suggests deletion of software data when insufficient space when downloading other software

* User save data is not deleted

- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:

- Resolved an issue that caused game software updates to fail and prevented the software from starting

- Improvements to prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode

Good update. Seeing when friends come online is what I've been waiting for. Now if only I could communicate with them somehow....:D Hopefully when the app starts its testing in the Summer that this will be possible.

The update has made the Pokkén Controller act as a Pro Controller :D