NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I agree with the EZA guys when they said that Nintendo knew from day one what the deal was gonna be with the NES Classic. All the PR about more restocks coming, supply being increased etc was just smoke and mirrors.

No doubt. A total farcical situation. From day 1 Reggie was lying through his teeth.

Maybe they just realised SNES is where it's at? :)

Expect the same lack of supply.

[TWEET]856762469829664768[/TWEET]

Having DQXI and MH5 releasing back to back would probably mean insane numbers for the Switch in Japan.

If MH5 gets built ground-up for the Switch then colour me majorly excited!

If MH5 gets built ground-up for the Switch then colour me majorly excited!

Just have to hope that it doesnt end up also being a 3DS title as well.

Just have to hope that it doesnt end up also being a 3DS title as well.

Hopefully Capcom are done with the system now. The latest game didn't exactly set the Japanese charts on fire.

I think everyone is ready for them to move onto new hardware. Could we finally see Capcom shed the PS2 style engine/animations and finally make a ground up, HD Monster Hunter game? Here's hoping.

I watch a very limited amount of live TV but i've also seen a fair amount of Switch adverts kicking about. They are decent advertisements as well, unlike the cringe worthy stuff we got back in the Wii days. It's certainly a nice change.

My main concern is these adverts are going to waste due to the stock issues. The thing still isn't widely available yet, despite Kimishima saying they could easily increase production if demand was there. Japan seems to be getting the lions share of the shipments, given just how many they sell on a weekly basis. You have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe arriving this week, a big release for the console, but you can't just walk into a shop and buy the console yet.

Have you listened to this weeks EZA podcast yet? Damiani calls Nintendo out about their struggling supply chains and meeting the demand of customers. The conversation is about the NES Classic but it spreads out into other things Nintendo have had issue with supplying in adequate quantities. He's right in what he is saying. Whether it's create artificial demand, not reading the market correctly or just not being prepared, there are issues here that Nintendo really need to address when creating and shipping their products.

Oh it's the same for me, I tend to only watch programmes which are on in the living room when I get home from work in the evening and there just happens to be something on I want to watch, aside from that it's just the odd thing on iPlayer and that's it. :D

As for the adverts though, they were fantastic, giving you just the right amount of information, concept and game footage, I usually hate all adverts, these ones were tolerable; even my Mum's response to Arms was "Oh you can throw punches with the controllers like on the boxing mini-game on Wii Fit?" and I just replied with "Yeah, it's like that in a way, but more accurate, in-depth and a lot of fun probably." so even the rest of the family are starting to take notice so I have a feeling I'm going to be bringing the console downstairs to play on the TV in the living room at some point soon. :p

Yes, I have as I'm straight on those EZA podcasts the moment they are available, often on Wednesday night from around 11PM thanks to being a Patreon which is ideal for me. :) Regarding the stock issues discussed, I completely agree, if only Nintendo are able to meet the stock demand in general then that will really help them and should be their primary focus alonside getting the games out; otherwise it's just wasted potential. :hmm:

Hopefully Capcom are done with the system now. The latest game didn't exactly set the Japanese charts on fire.

I think everyone is ready for them to move onto new hardware. Could we finally see Capcom shed the PS2 style engine/animations and finally make a ground up, HD Monster Hunter game? Here's hoping.

This, so much, one thousand times yes! :grin:

Make it a brand new, built from the ground-up, exclusive title made to last for the duration of the life of the console, just refine the formula a little bit more, then shake things up but don't break what makes MH special.

Also, if Nintendo don't do anything solidly locked to the console for voice chat then, I fully expect Capcom to do what they did for the Wii U version and just have their own dedicated chat channel when you're in a party in-game, this really should be included... otherwise it's back to communicating with gestures and shortcuts which is OK but less than ideal.

It could still be the case though and when it is, the only logicial response will be... "Well that happened!" :p

But we can still dream. :smile:

Our first glimpse at Nintendo's E3 plans this year!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363887

[Tweet]856901374956773378[/Tweet]

Woo!

Should mean that we'll hear about their general E3 plans soon (early May?). Here's hoping for another Nintendo World Championships, the 2015 one was great!

Edited by Dcubed

I'm hoping for great things from Nintendo at E3. They need a good one!

GIVE ME VIRTUAL CONSOLE GODDAMN IT

Here's hoping that BotW gave them some inspiration!

NO! EFF OFF! You leave my Monster Hunter alone!

I like having more than 10 things to fight.

Switch to be announced as a platform for COD later or not?

Interesting point. I'm looking forward to the reveal but this never even crossed my mind.

In the past, Activision has supported various Nintendo platforms with these games. It's only recently that they gave up on that support. It will be interesting to see if they return to the fold with this entry.

Good point, I completely forgot about that. A proper portable COD could actually turn some heads and maybe even garner a bit of copycat western dev support in its wake. Unlike Wii (which only got late and downgraded ports) and Wii U (which was a moribund console), COD on Switch actually has a lot going for it... we've actually never had a proper portable COD before! (No, that throwaway junky Vita game doesn't count).

Edited by Dcubed

NO! EFF OFF! You leave my Monster Hunter alone!

I like having more than 10 things to fight.

Hey, I'm not bashing, I just think there's room for improvement. Mechanically, the game still feels very PS2ish.

So, I just accidentally bought a Switch! The thing is still crazily limited on stock here in the Netherlands (everywhere I guess). So one webshop showed it had 2 grey ones on stock (neon isn't even coming in), I quickly put it in my cart to decide what I wanted to do (I thought about waiting some time for a bundle or until all issues are fixed). I still couldn't really see if the order got through (they tend to cancel if too many people are fishing for the same thing). So I put in my creditcard numbers, expecting a page 2 with verification (a lot of Dutch websites require second verification). But no, it congratulated me on my purchase! So how about that for a happy incident?

Picked up Zelda and a protection set including screen protector on the way home, and today the Switch itself got delivered. Setting it up right now and I am as happy as a child! Didn't even see one for real up until now so that adds to the magic!

So, I just accidentally bought a Switch! The thing is still crazily limited on stock here in the Netherlands (everywhere I guess). So one webshop showed it had 2 grey ones on stock (neon isn't even coming in), I quickly put it in my cart to decide what I wanted to do (I thought about waiting some time for a bundle or until all issues are fixed). I still couldn't really see if the order got through (they tend to cancel if too many people are fishing for the same thing). So I put in my creditcard numbers, expecting a page 2 with verification (a lot of Dutch websites require second verification). But no, it congratulated me on my purchase! So how about that for a happy incident?

Picked up Zelda and a protection set including screen protector on the way home, and today the Switch itself got delivered. Setting it up right now and I am as happy as a child! Didn't even see one for real up until now so that adds to the magic!

Wait till you pull the console out of the dock, take it outside on the bus/train/car/whatever to play it and then bring it home and put it back into the dock and carry on playing on your TV like nothing happened! That's when you realise how magical it really is! : peace:

Interesting point. I'm looking forward to the reveal but this never even crossed my mind.

In the past, Activision has supported various Nintendo platforms with these games. It's only recently that they gave up on that support. It will be interesting to see if they return to the fold with this entry.

So it wasn't confirmed for Switch. Some people will say maybe Nintendo will announce it separately at E3 but I am not so sure. Can't see it coming now.

So it wasn't confirmed for Switch. Some people will say maybe Nintendo will announce it separately at E3 but I am not so sure. Can't see it coming now.

Yeah, looks that way. Even if an announcement at E3 was on the cards it's not something that should be happening. When big 3rd party games are getting announced, the Switch needs to be part of the conversation at the same time, not months after.

Good morning, we bring you your regularily scheduled programming. A 3rd party publisher neglects yet another massive opportunity on a Nintendo console. In other news, the sky is blue :blank:

Nintendo should turn Battalion Wars into their take on a 1st Person Shooter, Battlefield style.

As of March 31st 2017:

2.74 million Switch units shipped. Massively up on Nintendo's plan of 2 million and analyst's predictions of 2.3 million.

Forecast of 10 million this fiscal year for a total of 12.74 million this time next year

Zelda shipped 2.76 million units on Switch (1.08 on Wii U. 3.84 total)

Edited by Serebii

The COD stuff could just be that the successful start for the Switch caught Activision off guard and it'll be on the Switch next time. Has made me wonder though if they wanted to avoid any issues with the online service. I don't think I would want to launch a game which is known more for its multiplayer on a system where so little is known still regarding the online services.

The COD stuff could just be that the successful start for the Switch caught Activision off guard and it'll be on the Switch next time. Has made me wonder though if they wanted to avoid any issues with the online service. I don't think I would want to launch a game which is known more for its multiplayer on a system where so little is known still regarding the online services.

That's a good point actually; I know it was said before how announcing it separately is a bad move, which I agree with, however if it is used to officially launch the online service that would be a good compromise!

As of March 31st 2017:

2.74 million Switch units shipped. Massively up on Nintendo's plan of 2 million and analyst's predictions of 2.3 million.

Forecast of 10 million this fiscal year for a total of 12.74 million this time next year

Zelda shipped 2.76 million units on Switch (1.08 on Wii U. 3.84 total)

Stupidly strong numbers. Hopefully they can keep the momentum up.

My concern, which I raised in the thread the other day, is the lack of Switch consoles in stock at the moment. They really need to get their fingers out and sort out the situation. The sales could have been a hell of a lot higher if stock was there. I'm hoping, with the arrival of Mario Kart, that stock arrives tomorrow at various outlets.