NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I have no intention of ever 100%ing it myself and I suspect the same will be true of most people.

I doubt I'll 100% it either but I find myself wanting to get pretty close to that mark. Which is strange as I'm not the type of player to see/collect/complete everything, not at all - couldn't care less about platinum-ing games on my PS4.

Just goes to show how good this game world is!

35 hours in a weekend - you guys are crazy! Get a life guys, geez :woops::wink:: peace:

I woke up at 5am on Saturday, went for a run, made some breakfast and then sat and had a 15 hour session on Persona 5. No regrets. :D

Of course anybody can play the game how they choose, I wasn't critical of finishing it a weekend, it just seems to me like a waste to rush through it. I guess I would compare it to recording a football match and then watching it back at 2x speed just to see the goals.

But anyway, no offence was intended. It took me longer to defeat the camel some people to defeat the entire game, so there is an element of skill levels also :sad:

I don't think the Switch releases should be envied at all, I think it's a very disappointing and slow console so far. 1-2 Switch aside, does it have a /single/ exclusive until Splatoon or Arms? It just feels like it's getting WiiU games and a handful of indie titles from a large selection also available on PS4 and Steam.

I'm hoping I can be proved wrong in the next few months. I guess ARMS and Splatoon will change that, I just wish those titles appealed to me more. I've said this every year for the past 3 years so I probably just need to stop but Nintendo really need to pull out all the stops to get me on board at this e3.

Then again, what do I know? While I'm unimpressed it seems to still be sold out everywhere and doing well so they must be doing something right this time.

I don't think the Switch releases should be envied at all, I think it's a very disappointing and slow console so far. 1-2 Switch aside, does it have a /single/ exclusive until Splatoon or Arms? It just feels like it's getting WiiU games and a handful of indie titles from a large selection also available on PS4 and Steam.

I'm hoping I can be proved wrong in the next few months. I guess ARMS and Splatoon will change that, I just wish those titles appealed to me more. I've said this every year for the past 3 years so I probably just need to stop but Nintendo really need to pull out all the stops to get me on board at this e3.

Then again, what do I know? While I'm unimpressed it seems to still be sold out everywhere and doing well so they must be doing something right this time.

Snipperclips? Bomberman R?

I woke up at 5am on Saturday, went for a run, made some breakfast and then sat and had a 15 hour session on Persona 5. No regrets. :D

Part of me envies you - even if I have a free weekend I can never sit down for that kinda session, I just get bored and need to do something different. Play games, switch to (pun intended) reading a book, watch a movie, go out etc.

I think the Switch will really help with being able to fit in with other activities and our lives much more so than traditional consoles hooked up to a TV.

Random question: does anyone else's Switch have a really weak wifi signal? Mine is permanently at 1 bar and that doesn't forebode well for online MK8 multiplayer...

I think the Switch will really help with being able to fit in with other activities and our lives much more so than traditional consoles hooked up to a TV.

Arlo posted a good video about this kind of thing the other day.

It doesn't effect me as much as I don't have to fight for the TV, and I prefer to play in long sessions, but his point is a valid one for those who don't play like that or don't have the luxury of being able to sit in front of a TV for long periods of time. For gamers with a more busy life style ( work away, travel a lot, have kids etc ) the Switch is a godsend.

Arlo posted a good video about this kind of thing the other day.

It doesn't effect me as much as I don't have to fight for the TV, and I prefer to play in long sessions, but his point is a valid one for those who don't play like that or don't have the luxury of being able to sit in front of a TV for long periods of time. For gamers with a more busy life style ( work away, travel a lot, have kids etc ) the Switch is a godsend.

This is something the Wii U had to an extent and people were so dismissive because they didn't have to fight for a TV the whole off-tv play thing is pointless.

I personally think it's amazing.

Arlo did a good video here, but I'm always swayed by muppets so bias :p

This is something the Wii U had to an extent and people were so dismissive because they didn't have to fight for a TV the whole off-tv play thing is pointless.

It also didn't help that the Wii U Gamepad range was spotty at best. Some found it fine but others, myself included, couldn't use it outside of where the Wii U was actually set up. It's understandable why people were dismissive of the feature as many didn't get that freedom that Nintendo talked about/advertised. The Switch is just the next step in the evolution of the Wii U concept of off-tv play.

...I'm always swayed by muppets so bias :p

Is this why you always lap up whatever Nintendo offers..? :p

As someone living with kids and who has a commute too, the concept of the Switch is fantastic... but as a console it's still entirely rough around the edges so I'd not consider it to be one of the better consoles.

So I straight up pumped 110 hours into Zelda over the span of ten days while still somehow managing to work a full time job. Not sure if there's a more superlative endorsement of a game I can give than that. The silence around the console right now is just thunderous though. I kinda can't deal with paying £50 for a game like Mario Kart, especially when I got Resi 7, Nier Automata, Dishonored 2, Prey preorder etc for under £30 each at, around or before launch.

The biggest problem around the console is the unwillingness for Nintendo to give the end consumer a concession when they buy a game digitally. Even though it's for obvious reasons, it just means that games are prohibitively priced for anyone who can look to competing experiences when there isn't something with the pedigree of BoTW that you absolutely have to play.

Virtual Console right now would be the perfect thing to tide me over to Splatoon 2 because cheap, legitimate access to a huge well of classic experiences is something literally no platform holder can match Nintendo on, and not having it ready at launch when any old person can download a flawless Gamecube and Wii emulator on PC, is such a colossal oversight.

Virtual Console right now would be the perfect thing to tide me over to Splatoon 2 because cheap, legitimate access to a huge well of classic experiences is something literally no platform holder can match Nintendo on, and not having it ready at launch when any old person can download a flawless Gamecube and Wii emulator on PC, is such a colossal oversight.

100% in agreement. While I've still got a long way to go in BOTW, one of the main reasons I'm taking my time with the game is that I know there's nothing else that will take up my time on the Switch. Yeah MK8 looks class but that will predominantly be a MP experience for me. A SP experience though? Something that will keep me engrossed on a long commute or whenever else I'm travelling?

Not so sure...I'm hoping E3 will reveal/launch the Virtual Console. Having access to the Nintendo back catalogue whilst travelling....*salivates*

On my commute I'm playing Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, SoT at the moment in particular, and I'm loving it!

When I'm at home I'm still on Zelda and occasionally Snipperclips.

100% in agreement. While I've still got a long way to go in BOTW, one of the main reasons I'm taking my time with the game is that I know there's nothing else that will take up my time on the Switch. Yeah MK8 looks class but that will predominantly be a MP experience for me. A SP experience though? Something that will keep me engrossed on a long commute or whenever else I'm travelling?

Not so sure...I'm hoping E3 will reveal/launch the Virtual Console. Having access to the Nintendo back catalogue whilst travelling....*salivates*

Yeah. It's also that I just got this thing and I don't want the initial excitement on getting any piece of hardware to be squandered as a result of not having anything to play on it. My Vita lasted me a long time because even though the only launch game I bought was Wipeout, there was also a massive catalogue of PSP and PsOne games available for it that I'd never played, and it helped keep the console in my hands during the initial launch months.

On my commute I'm playing Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, SoT at the moment in particular, and I'm loving it!

When I'm at home I'm still on Zelda and occasionally Snipperclips.

Shovel Knight is an outrageously good game. Haven't played it since 2014 when the first campaign came out, but anyone who hasn't played it yet but is looking for games to play on Switch should be all over it. I haven't even checked out the plague knight and spectre knight campaigns yet so my recommendation is based on just a third of the game. Worth every penny.

I personally think it's amazing.

Arlo did a good video here, but I'm always swayed by muppets so bias :p

My experience with the switch and Wii U couldn't be more different. The switch can go anywhere, the wii u could be barely leave the bedroom. The Wii U gamepad was a chore to use, too big, too heavy, had a shitty screen and awful battery life.

I don't like using cheap tablets so had no desire to use a fisher price emulation which the wii u gamepad was.

The fighting for the TV was one of of the reasons Nintendo came up with which made no sense simply because HD TVs were in multiple bedrooms. There was no mention of this when it came it to the switch as people playing away from the TV isn't about not having access to one.

Edited by liger05

My experience with the switch and Wii U couldn't be more different. The switch can go anywhere, the wii u could be barely leave the bedroom. The Wii U gamepad was a chore to use, too big, too heavy, had a shitty screen and awful battery life.

I don't like using cheap tablets so had no desire to use a fisher price emulation which the wii u gamepad was.

The fighting for the TV was one of of the reasons Nintendo came up with which made no sense simply because HD TVs were in multiple bedrooms. There was no mention of this when it came it to the switch as people playing away from the TV isn't about not having access to one.

What this guy said. You can't compare the Switch and the Wii U gamepad. If you could then we would need to be asking as well why the Vita didn't sell when it could do same room (or even internet) second screen play of games for the massively popular PS4.

Most people don't want a greatly toned down experience, which is what both the Wii U gamepad and Vita remote play were doing. Switch is the real deal.

The Switch is the full evolution and realisation of the Wii U concept.

My comment was regarding Off-TV Play and those who said it was useless because they had their own TV which is true in some cases, but people seem to disregard how families are. They focus on the idyllic idea of everyone having their own tv when that's not necessarily a reality

Switch is what I understood the Wii U to be. When I was told it was tethered to the game console I was baffled... and held off buying for a long while. I think Switch is what Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be in fairness... they just didn't pull it off.

My comment was regarding Off-TV Play and those who said it was useless because they had their own TV which is true in some cases, but people seem to disregard how families are. They focus on the idyllic idea of everyone having their own tv when that's not necessarily a reality

Out of curiosity I found this:

Tracker_Number_of_TVs.png

The majority do have just one (the heathens!) but 2 is not far off at about 9 million households. Having a very quick look at their methodology I can't see any confirmation if they include things like PCs which could watch TV (they just refer to "TV sets" which I would take to mean actual televisions).

What is also interesting is whoever put that graph together needs to learn about the diverse spectrum of colours available.

Just a small and UK-based sample obviously, but settled my curiosity for now.

http://www.barb.co.uk/tv-landscape-reports/tracker-number-tvs/

Definitely in the 5+ TV's category in this house, though that still doesn't mean that I don't use the Switch in hand-held mode...

...if anything I use it more, when I'm watching TV. ;)

Speaking of which, during the advert breaks of an hour long programme - well... 38 mins programme, 22 mins adverts - I saw no less than three Nintendo Switch adverts, one was for 1-2 Switch, then Arms and Splatoon 2 and soon after stating "but why aren't they advertising Mario Kart 8 DX when it's out this week?" bam! there it was in the very next advert break. :)

It feels like a new era for Nintendo so let's hope that they manage to keep the momentum going by giving their fans what they want over time. : peace:

There's so much potential with this machine that it's unreal, though I get the feeling that it won't be until next year that it's fully realised, at least it will hopefully have a really solid library of titles by then. :D

It's a handheld games console. That's not really off TV play, it's something we've seen Nintendo do successfully time and time again, and people love handhelds because of their portability. 'Off TV play' is what the Wii U and Vita were doing, both of which bombed (which probably summarises just how much of a wanted feature Off TV play was for most - I don't doubt it was useful for some, but generally this wasn't heavily demanded).

If you're playing a Switch in handheld mode you are basically just playing a handheld console. Otherwise I have been 'Off TV playing' back since the Gameboy.

Edited by Sheikah

Speaking of which, during the advert breaks of an hour long programme - well... 38 mins programme, 22 mins adverts - I saw no less than three Nintendo Switch adverts, one was for 1-2 Switch, then Arms and Splatoon 2 and soon after stating "but why aren't they advertising Mario Kart 8 DX when it's out this week?" bam! there it was in the very next advert break. :)

It feels like a new era for Nintendo so let's hope that they manage to keep the momentum going by giving their fans what they want over time. : peace:

I watch a very limited amount of live TV but i've also seen a fair amount of Switch adverts kicking about. They are decent advertisements as well, unlike the cringe worthy stuff we got back in the Wii days. It's certainly a nice change.

My main concern is these adverts are going to waste due to the stock issues. The thing still isn't widely available yet, despite Kimishima saying they could easily increase production if demand was there. Japan seems to be getting the lions share of the shipments, given just how many they sell on a weekly basis. You have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe arriving this week, a big release for the console, but you can't just walk into a shop and buy the console yet.

Have you listened to this weeks EZA podcast yet? Damiani calls Nintendo out about their struggling supply chains and meeting the demand of customers. The conversation is about the NES Classic but it spreads out into other things Nintendo have had issue with supplying in adequate quantities. He's right in what he is saying. Whether it's create artificial demand, not reading the market correctly or just not being prepared, there are issues here that Nintendo really need to address when creating and shipping their products.

It's defiantly not artificial. There is no way to company decides to keep stock in the warehouse rather than sold to consumers. The NES classic fiasco was was joke as t simply didn't produce enough.

I'm prepared to give them a pass on the switch. The wii u performed so badly, I can see why they kept switch initial production at a conservative 2 mil.

The NES classic fiasco was was joke as t simply didn't produce enough.

I agree with the EZA guys when they said that Nintendo knew from day one what the deal was gonna be with the NES Classic. All the PR about more restocks coming, supply being increased etc was just smoke and mirrors.