NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

For a March release that's very good news. The software for the rest of the year is probably good enough to keep momentum up, hopefully E3 shows off their plans for 2018.

I think it'll continue to sell well until after Splatoon launches so it'll be interesting to see how much of a dip in sales there is between August and November.

I think it'll continue to sell well until after Splatoon launches so it'll be interesting to see how much of a dip in sales there is between August and November.

I truly believe there will be surprise releases within that period revealed at E3

If they had big third party releases, then a 9-10 month first party release schedule with Zelda, Mario, MK8, Arms, Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 would be incredible. Not sure I expect them to add anything else before Mario with all that going on. Maybe an Animal Crossing or Pokemon Stars.

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding it hard to believe that Xenoblade 2 will make it to this year.

I know it's almost a Nintendo fan cliche by now, but I'm hoping that this first year top heavy approach will see them mining their franchises for the rest of the Switch life cycle.

Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon and Xenoblade all within 9 months is incredible, but it does mean 2018 is somewhat unknown but also ripe for Metroid, Wave Race etc to come back strongly to fill in gaps.

Looking forward to seeing what e3 brings, and hopefully a peek at the Zelda DLC as well, BOTW is ripe for continuing expansions!

Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding it hard to believe that Xenoblade 2 will make it to this year.

Same but they seem to be adamant it's coming 2017. Crazy if it does.

2018 is somewhat unknown but also ripe for Metroid, Wave Race etc to come back strongly to fill in gaps.

I appreciate the optimism, although I think it's more likely we'll get Wii Music 2 (the Joy-Cons could be instruments...) and a Super Mario Maker remake before we see Wave Race. Hopefully I'm wrong though!

I appreciate the optimism, although I think it's more likely we'll get Wii Music 2 (the Joy-Cons could be instruments...) and a Super Mario Maker remake before we see Wave Race. Hopefully I'm wrong though!

Way to kill my enthusiasm, spoil sport :P

No i know what you mean, it was more of place holder for any classic franchise; just so happens to be one of my favourites and the one I'd like to see most!

Well, second favourite behind Wii Music...

Would love to see a Smash Bros remake. As someone who missed out on Wii/Wii U, the more ports the better, I don't care!

Also thought I'd share my overall experience of having the Switch for about 3 weeks now:

Hardware: beautiful. When I saw my colleagues in the office with theirs and held it for the first time, it feels good in the hand and looks the business. Buttons are a bit clicky for me but they get the job done. Thankfully haven't had any issues with joycon connectivity/dead pixels.

Software: erm not alot to say apart from Zelda BOTW. However I gotta say that I despised the game for the opening few hours. Having been used to games on PS4 which really hold your hand, I really struggled to get on with the game. However, I always knew it was just a case of getting used to the game and now with over 20 hrs gone, I am enjoying it a whole lot more. Bring on Mario Kart and more indie games :)

Worries: battery life. Having a 'console' run on battery power I do worry about how the battery will hold up this time next year. If its anything like my current smartphone (Nexus 6P), battery life just gets steadily worse and I know this is a trend among most smartphones. i'm hoping the battery doesn't deteriorate all too much.

Side note: Had to mention the Pro Controller. IT'S A THING OF BEAUTY. I didn't think I'd fall in love with the controller so much but it just feels perfect. Going back to the PS4's DS4 just felt cheap, weird and odd. Yes it's expensive but for me, worth every penny :grin:

Overall: I've really enjoyed the Switch. Over this Easter period, I've taken it with me to the English countryside (Worcestor) and its truly been a pleasure being able to grind a few shrines and just explore the world of BOTW in my downtime. Just goes to show that Nintendo have really nailed the concept of the console - its a success.

Now they just need to build on this solid foundation and flesh out the software library/calendar a little more. Judging by the sales figures, I'm glad I'm one of many who have enjoyed this system.

Onwards and upwards!

Edited by Babooo

With Breath of the Wild 'complete' (I will never, ever see 100% in that game :heh:) I decided to purchase the Snipperclips Joy-Con Bundle from Argos for £69.99 which also includes a £5 voucher off my next purchase :smile:

I'll probably pick it up from my local collection point after work tomorrow :hehe:

That's good, they need to let you join lobbies as a party of friends now and it'll be where it needs to be!

God I hope they do this in Splatoon 2 too!

That's what my ... Was hinting at, if they've changed it for this, perhaps Splatoon 2 might get the same treatment as well!

There is a lot of talk about games that can't run on Switch and thus far all we've seen is ports, I'm interested to see how far the Switch can be pushed graphically. I guess Mario will be the first real game developed purely for Switch.

There is a lot of talk about games that can't run on Switch and thus far all we've seen is ports, I'm interested to see how far the Switch can be pushed graphically. I guess Mario will be the first real game developed purely for Switch.

Ummmm it's a port of the Wii U game. Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

I would say that Mario Odyssey will be the first true Switch developed game that will push it. Even Splatoon 2 will be using an adapted version of the original engine from what we've seen/played.

Having said that, wait until E3. I think that it will give you a better idea.

Ummmm it's a port of the Wii U game. Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

I would say that Mario Odyssey will be the first true Switch developed game that will push it. Even Splatoon 2 will be using an adapted version of the original engine from what we've seen/played.

I think Clown was saying what you are - 'Mario' Odyssey will be the first one to push it.

I think Clown was saying what you are - 'Mario' Odyssey will be the first one to push it.

Oh god, I'm tired! Totally missed that line :p

yeah really hoping there are some big announcements at E3

Personally I'm not bothered about pushing the system as much as possible. Maybe it's because my Switch is my secondary console (to my PS4) so I don't expect cutting edge graphics (more concerned with gameplay and design).

My best mate came over recently and said he wasn't impressed by Zelda's graphics. I felt like slapping him. Why people care so much for specs/graphics is beyond me.

I think I'm getting old guys.

Personally I'm not bothered about pushing the system as much as possible. Maybe it's because my Switch is my secondary console (to my PS4) so I don't expect cutting edge graphics (more concerned with gameplay and design).

My best mate came over recently and said he wasn't impressed by Zelda's graphics. I felt like slapping him. Why people care so much for specs/graphics is beyond me.

Surely any system is best when it's pushed to its full capabilites? Those capabilities will be below the competition but for a handheld games will look amazing.

You should have taken it out the dock, and showed it running as a handheld

Seven (?) weeks in and I love my Switch. It has the mark of a really great console, and that is - I keep buying games for it. Some consoles I only bought because I knew there were some games worth playing, and didn't actually like the machines themselves; but this? This gives me the same feeling as the GameCube and 3DS, although I think it's even better. I've already got seven games (Zelda + 2 eShop + 4 Neo Geo) and will probably get another one tonight. Love it!

Seven (?) weeks in and I love my Switch. It has the mark of a really great console, and that is - I keep buying games for it. Some consoles I only bought because I knew there were some games worth playing, and didn't actually like the machines themselves; but this? This gives me the same feeling as the GameCube and 3DS, although I think it's even better. I've already got seven games (Zelda + 2 eShop + 4 Neo Geo) and will probably get another one tonight. Love it!

This is basically how i feel. It truly is one of my favourite consoles already purely because of the options it gives me when it comes to playing games. Once we get more games I'll be even happier but by the end of the year there should be a lot more choice.

Playing Yooka-Laylee on my Xbox at the moment and i just do nothing but wish i could play it in handheld mode on Switch. As much as i enjoy achievements, being able to free the TV up and have the Switch running at the same time is a thing of joy. I also love how good games look on the Switch screen.

I don't think I've ever been as excited about a Nintendo console! as i have been about Switch.

The NPD figures are in for March and the Switch has got off to a great start, second biggest console launch ever (presumably behind the PS4).

This could really give the Scorpio a serious run for its money come Christmas time, if MK and Splatoon keep the momentum going world wide, could be out of sight of it!