NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Whilst I am loving Zelda and almost relieved there is anything else to distract me, Switch really does need some more games and soon. It feels like it's been out a while now and is still pretty much a 1 game console. I'm getting MK8 and Tetris at the end of the month (both ports) but where is the new software.

Do agree it's probably a poor/lazy port job - really expected them to fix it though. I imagine we won't be seeing it with the XBone/PS4 versions but it does make me feel a little happier knowing it's not completely kicking the shit out of my wii u version :p

From what I hear, the PS4 and Xbone versions are no better when it comes to loading times (and the performance isn't much better either supposedly); so yeah, just a mediocre port really.

Whilst I am loving Zelda and almost relieved there is anything else to distract me, Switch really does need some more games and soon. It feels like it's been out a while now and is still pretty much a 1 game console. I'm getting MK8 and Tetris at the end of the month (both ports) but where is the new software.

Retail is barren and will be for quite some time, but the eShop already has quite the selection of quality titles; a fair few of them are exclusives too, such as Snipperclips, FAST RMX and Blaster Master Zero (if you don't count the 3DS version that launched day and date with it)

From what I hear, the PS4 and Xbone versions are no better when it comes to loading times (and the performance isn't much better either supposedly); so yeah, just a mediocre port really.

Oh really? How interesting! I just thought Sony or MS would have pushed against it given the capabilities of their systems to surely handle much shorter times? Wouldn't you even want to do it as dev/publisher knowing it was one of the biggest criticisms of the original release? I realise you said they're shorter though and I don't know exactly how much shorter but I'd imagine they're still going to be a bit annoying.

Good news for the Switch if it's on-par though, and makes me feel even more better about my Wii U version :p!

xJzqd4O.png

That's certainly a lot more expensive than I thought it would be.

Indeed it is. I doubt that Nintendo is paying that cost for each machine though as they're probably getting a sweetheart discount for the Tegra X1 chips (due to Nvidia struggling to sell them) and the screen (as Japan Display have been really struggling recently and are kinda desperate for high profile clients). Otherwise they'd probably be selling the consoles at a loss with a BOM that high.

Edited by Dcubed

It certainly doesn't look or feel like they cheaped-out. Just turning the thing on every time is a pleasure.

I'll admit I've been sceptical about the Switch in recent months (hence my delay in purchase), and while not every doubt has been erased (Yes, I'm looking at you, third-party-support), I'm absolutely LOVING the system since I bought it last week!

The portability if the thing really is a wonder, and very beneficial for me. I can't always spend a lot of time in front of the telly, so to just take it with me on the train, bus, abroad or anywhere is a true godsend.

And while it's not the most powerful system outthere, BotW stuns me way more than Horizon: Zero Dawn, an excellent game in it's own right.

It just feels... good!

Nintendo Switch, the new home gaming system that people can also take on the go, has sold faster in its launch month than any other video game system in Nintendo history. The Nintendo Switch system sold more than 906,000 units in March, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. That makes Nintendo Switch one of the fastest-selling video game systems of all time. Notably, this sales surge was accomplished in a nontraditional month for a console launch.

The Nintendo Switch system sold more than 906,000 units in March, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game sold over 1.3 million units*. That total includes more than 925,000 units sold for Nintendo Switch and nearly 460,000 units sold for the Wii U console.

That means that Nintendo sold more of this game for Nintendo Switch than it sold Nintendo Switch systems, for an attach rate of more than 100 percent. This may be attributed to people who purchased both a limited edition of the game to collect and a second version to play.

An attach rate for Zelda over 100% lol.

Good news, hope it continues till the end of the year, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Arms, Xenoblade, Mario + Minecraft and Skyrim should see to that...

[TWEET]852679026183471104[/TWEET]

Nintendo's back baby!

To compare and contrast, it's just 2k under the XBO and just over 100k under the PS4's first months, and they were in the holiday season.

It also did more than the entirety of the first 3 months of the Wii U's life in America.

It did over double what the 3DS did in its first month and around double what the DS and Wii did and those two were in Holiday too (though like the Switch the Wii was supply constrained)

C9VTBa-WAAAIgsS.jpg:large

Edited by Serebii

Great start for them. Zelda selling more than the console is hilarious. :D

Good to see you posting sales data again @Serebii. Will you continue to do so or stop if the machine starts to bomb, just like you done with the Wii U. :p

Great start for them. Zelda selling more than the console is hilarious. :D

Good to see you posting sales data again @Serebii. Will you continue to do so or stop if the machine starts to bomb, just like you done with the Wii U. :p

If it happens, I'll fall into my pit of depression again :P

I'll be ready with the data from the investor meeting

Edited by Serebii

Great start for the Switch.

Really impressive numbers for the US.

If April is monster as well considering no release then May with Mario Kart is going to be nuts.

Good start :)

Hope they can keep a little momentum until E3 and then go all out with announcements. Could do wonders. : peace:

Good start :)

Hope they can keep a little momentum until E3 and then go all out with announcements. Could do wonders. : peace:

With Mario Kart, Minecraft and Street Fighter, I think it'll carry on til June, then ARMS is out E3 week with the E3 reveals.

I honestly haven't felt this busy for games in a year in years, though most won't be physical.

The intent to buy at the moment

ARMS

Splatoon 2

Sonic Mania

Yooka-Laylee

Sonic Forces

Super Mario Odyssey

Plus I'm fully expecting some reveals, especially Pokémon reveals, for later this year

Maybe Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but without mechs and sci-fi I'm less interested

I honestly haven't felt this busy for games in a year in years, though most won't be physical.

The intent to buy at the moment

ARMS

Splatoon 2

Sonic Mania

Yooka-Laylee

Sonic Forces

Super Mario Odyssey

While the current line-up and what's on the horizon so far isn't for me at all, I can see how some people can be invested in the Switch and its games right now.

Plus I'm fully expecting some reveals, especially Pokémon reveals, for later this year

Yup. I think/hope another one or two big hits aside from Mario will be released before Christmas.

While the current line-up and what's on the horizon so far isn't for me at all, I can see how some people can be invested in the Switch and its games right now.

My only concern is that based on what we know, and a few rumblings I've heard, this year's Switch first party line-up has a considerable multiplayer focus until the end of the year. While Splatoon 2 will have a cool new campaign, it may not provide the single player experience many players crave.

I'm glad it's had a good start, I hope it continues and we get some big E3 announcements as I'm only looking forward to Xenoblade 2 and Mario of what's been announced so far... although, dependant on game features within them, MK8D and Splatoon 2 could get me excited for them too.

If it does continue I hope we get to see a little more effort from 3rd Parties when it comes to porting games, even if slightly downgraded. I'd pick some games up on Switch over PS4/XBO thanks to the ability to play on the go too.

Great start for a March launch!

This is now the crucial time though, 3rd parties need to get on board/be incentive lead into the console to continue support and continue sales, or will go the way of the Wii U.

Or, Nintendo needs to make a much bigger deal of its indie games and its indie exclusives too, haven't seen much of a push for Graceful Explosion Machine for example.

@Kav as a gamer of a similar age I'd recommend Snakepass to you for some commute based gaming (when Zelda is finished up) got a 64 era vibe to it and lots of replay ability too :)

They certainly have learnt from the wii u disaster.

A much more appealing piece of hardware. Hugely improved marketing as well as a solid first few months with key titles.

I can't see it ever being a wii u no matter what. That was doomed from day 1. Launching with a Mario game that looked like a wii game for example as a big mistake. The switch launched with a Zelda game never seen before in the series.

There was a huge difference in hype and anticipation between the switch and wii u. There was no excitement about the wii u.

With MK8, arms, splatoon 2 they have enough to get though the summer. You then have Mario, Xenoblade already confirmed for holiday and there will be more to be announced.

It really looks like the first 9-12 months they are set to be in a real good place.

Edited by liger05

I look forward to seeing whats announced at E3. There isnt much I'm planning on getting for the Switch other than MK8 that I'm not going to get elsewhere instead so I'd like a good showing.

I look forward to seeing whats announced at E3. There isnt much I'm planning on getting for the Switch other than MK8 that I'm not going to get elsewhere instead so I'd like a good showing.

Yup. E3 is their next chance to win me over. A lot of the curent line up I've either already played on the Wii U or I'll be playing on another console.

I'm kinda interested in Arms but I question just how long the game will last. Splatoon 2 doesn't interest me much due to the online setup of the Switch. The only game I really want is Mario but that's a long way off.

I'm just hoping that their E3 isn't just Arms, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2 ( dubious this will hit the West this year ), Mario, and the rumoured Smash Bros Deluxe.

My Switch money is sat waiting for you, Nintendo.

They might look better in person but I really don't like the Neon Yellow. Looks like an off-green.

Bring me Spice Orange Nintendo god damn it!

Yeah "Neon yellow" is factually incorrect. They're pale/neon chartreuse through and through.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/04/14/s...n-first-month/

Research firm SuperData revealed today that its analysis shows that Nintendo has sold 2.4 million Switches during its first month of release. The home console/portable hybrid launched worldwide on March 3. SuperData noted that it collaborated with market researcher Gfk and the Japanese gaming publication Famitsu to come up with the figure.

SuperData now projects that the Switch will sell 7.2 million consoles in 2017. That is up from its original forecast of 5 million units, showing that this is a better start than the research group was expecting.

Epic: There are 20+ Japanese Unreal Engine 4 games for Switch in development

“Unfortunately, there were not any Unreal Engine titles at launch, but in late March, Snake Pass, which was one of the titles playable at GDC, launched in America and Europe, and at the Nintendo Switch Presentation, there were titles such as Shin Megami Tensei,” Kawasaki said. “In Japan, there are about 20 titles being developed that use Unreal Engine, so I think that they’ll be announced gradually from here on.”

When asked if that number corresponds to Switch titles, Kawasaki said, “These are titles that use Unreal Engine, for Switch, and are being made in Japan. There may even be more. And now we’re gradually moving forward with Switch support for the free version [of Unreal Engine 4]. That way, as long as you have a Switch development license, you will be able to develop for Switch even with the free version.”

At the moment, there are only a few announced Japanese titles for Switch that use Unreal Engine 4, including Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei, and presumably Dragon Quest XI (the Switch version has yet to be shown, so we don’t know if it’s based on the PlayStation 4’s Unreal Engine 4 version or the 3DS’s 3D/2D version).

Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/04/20-unreal...t-switch-japan

Good news