NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Got myself a switch today after trading in my wii U and lots of games.

Unfortunately I'm off to work soon so I can't play but my friend code is 8217-1818-7007 if anyone is interested in sending a friend request.

I do think there should be more stock taken into the fact that over the past few years quite a lot of people have felt the need to leave this forum because of the way people are on it; some really valuable members too just got fed up and don't bother. We can keep dismissing it, ignoring it; but I think it is a problem. I've wanted to leave quite a lot myself. Some people like @david\.dakota still post, but nowhere near as much as they used to. There's clearly an issue.

People of differing opinions have left because of different people. We're in a bind because we can't just say "it's people who feel positive that are leaving so let's address that" because I know that's not true.

We closed the other switch thread when this one was opened in the hope that now the console was out for better or worse people know what the situation is and would discuss it reasonably but it took less than a week for someone to say "you're not welcome", and part of the complaint about the existence of the other thread was it was exclusionary.

If you (or anyone) have suggestions I'm happy to hear through DM, but it's not as simple as choosing a 'side' because both 'sides' are losing people. We tried a period of separation but I don't want that. I don't feel that's how we should approach things, but it needs work by the members as well as us to be frank.

The best suggestion I've seen is to remove thanks. They can be useful, but they tend to become "I'm on your side!" flags (plus the argument they can prevent conversations).

@Ashley I know it isn't an easy fix and I don't have solution. But I think there is/has been a problem. Let's hope that things slowly change, but here's a few members I think are sorely sorely missed.

Not laying blame, but I think the people positive about something are always going to be more annoyed than people who are negative. Just by it's nature. If you love something and people keep pissing over it, that's not nice. If you hate something and someone's saying good things about it. That's not annoying. So I think the situation itself let it play out.

I actually don't think it's as bad now. It itbhas been incredibly excessive in the last, the level of negativity and shitting on things, but seemed better now so shame to see King leave when he had actually disappeared for a while.

Anyways. Generally it's all more positive so hopefully this place can be happier, and people can felled better about loving what they love, but we can also have room to wonder what the duck Nintendo are doing not allowing Bluetooth headsets and Rime costs £10 more to no reason whatsoever.

Nice to see there is a time counter for games, it's always a helpful feature. I do hope it gets patched to be more accurate though.

Yeah it's a start. I want a full, in depth log though at least like the 3ds. I love stats!!!!

@Ashley I know it isn't an easy fix and I don't have solution. But I think there is/has been a problem. Let's hope that things slowly change, but here's a few members I think are sorely sorely missed.

Not laying blame, but I think the people positive about something are always going to be more annoyed than people who are negative. Just by it's nature. If you love something and people keep pissing over it, that's not nice. If you hate something and someone's saying good things about it. That's not annoying. So I think the situation itself let it play out.

I actually don't think it's as bad now. It itbhas been incredibly excessive in the last, the level of negativity and shitting on things, but seemed better now so shame to see King leave when he had actually disappeared for a while.

Anyways. Generally it's all more positive so hopefully this place can be happier, and people can felled better about loving what they love, but we can also have room to wonder what the duck Nintendo are doing not allowing Bluetooth headsets and Rime costs £10 more to no reason whatsoever.

Yeah it's a start. I want a full, in depth log though at least like the 3ds. I love stats!!!!

Had to laugh because towards the end I genuinely wasn't sure if "duck" was autocorrect or politeness :heh:

Perhaps we need to find better ways of countering perceived negativity? Rather than saying "urgh why are you so negative" or "you can never just be positive" etc perhaps people need to start trying to delve for more information, or ask if there is anything (related) that they do enjoy ("yeah the dock scratching is an issue, but isn't it easy to use?" but not something that sounds so weird), or simply "it's a shame you don't like it" (or no response at all).

I think part of the problem at times is people are expecting everyone to be on the same page, or face differing opinions as an insult or an attack or something.

idk...

I hate the wi-fi on this thing. Sometimes it wont connect on launch unless you do it manually, other times like right now it just wont connect at all.

I don't think that that's necessarily the case. It's equally frustrating sometimes to have something factually bad happen but people are blissfully positive about it, to the point of invalidating your view. We all come on here to share experiences and sometimes sharing the bad is just as important as sharing the good. All individuals use their communities as sounding boards or a yard stick for the basis of comparison.

I know that you're doing it for illustrative purposes but people need to understand that no one absolutely hates something or absolutes loves it either, we're all somewhere in the shades of grey in between. My feeling is that most of us could do with a better job of trying to understand what others are saying to find the nuances of that grey rather than whether they are in the black or white camp.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350842

Oh cool! The Switch actually DOES have an Activity Log built in! It just only starts showing stuff after a week's time playing it.

You'll find it on your profile (click your icon in the top corner of the home menu). It only shows playtimes in 5 hour increments right now sadly, but that might change in the future I suppose.

The Parental Controls app is still more detailed though, so if you want a detailed breakdown, you can use that (I have it set on, you can actually set it to have no restrictions at all and it'll still track your gameplay time).

Is there any way to see how long you've been playing individual titles for in the Parental Controls app? It tells me the total each day but when I click on the individual titles it just takes me to the Nintendo page about them.

The best suggestion I've seen is to remove thanks. They can be useful, but they tend to become "I'm on your side!" flags (plus the argument they can prevent conversations).

But what am I going to do with all this Thanks I've collected? It effectively becomes useless!

There really are some odd choices with the friend list on the Switch. Only showing changeable nicknames so it will be really simple to just not know who someone is if they decide to change their name but then if you go into their profile it doesnt even show their friend code if you want to try and check who they are. I already have some people on my friends list who I have no idea about and I cant even send them a message to ask.

@King_V would be a shame to see you leave over this, since my return here I have enjoyed your posts and enthusiasm around launch time.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350842

Oh cool! The Switch actually DOES have an Activity Log built in! It just only starts showing stuff after a week's time playing it.

You'll find it on your profile (click your icon in the top corner of the home menu). It only shows playtimes in 5 hour increments right now sadly, but that might change in the future I suppose.

The Parental Controls app is still more detailed though, so if you want a detailed breakdown, you can use that (I have it set on, you can actually set it to have no restrictions at all and it'll still track your gameplay time).

Great, I'm glad they decided to include an activity log. The parental controls app is cool, but I'd rather not like seeing it so prominently on the home page.

There really are some odd choices with the friend list on the Switch. Only showing changeable nicknames so it will be really simple to just not know who someone is if they decide to change their name but then if you go into their profile it doesnt even show their friend code if you want to try and check who they are. I already have some people on my friends list who I have no idea about and I cant even send them a message to ask.

Yep showing just first names and not something unique has its downsides. I'd like it displayed both (if it had usernames, but friend code would be something). I think we'll see some advancements in that area. To address this problem on the N-E friends spreadsheet we could have a N-E username column and a new Switch nickname column.

Having received my Nintendo Switch late and being relatively busy over the last few days, I haven't had much of an opportunity to add you all as friends but will get around to it shortly, I hope :grin:

If anyone wishes to add me, my friend code is 5045-6114-3536 and, as I don't have any of you on Twitter, does anyone wish to share their handle? Mine is @nekunando and I may now use Twitter to document my games in the absence of Miiverse :smile:

He'll be back. They aaaaaaaalways come back.

(Please ignore long list of users who left and never came back)

Who was the dude who was a dude but was a woman or TV or something like that? He was always a laugh then I think she got banned for something! Showing my age here again I think, if been around for a while.... Infact I think I remember @King_V s first post about being nervous about losing his virginity?!

Listen guys, it's a forum and we all have different opinions. Don't take things to heart, we are all too old and wise for drama aren't we?!

On topic - I really like the switch. As a handheld it's grown on me and I can easily see me grabbing all of the first party games and system exclusives. For multi platform though I think it will be PS4 unless the Nintendo online is something special. Also I quite like trophies, it gives me something to aim for if I really like a game. I will be buying Stardew Valley when it's released though, will be amazing to have it on a handheld!

So the indie scene seem to really be taking to Nintendo's new attitude. It seems like the the ground work laid by the Wii U in that sense has really given them some allies:

That's some pretty amazing and honest feedback from developers considering Nintendo's past reputation amongst developers. A huge change in attitude and approach to those relationships

But it's not only them that have changed their tune. The sounds coming out of Nintendo are also very interesting. They really sound like they are understanding what they're strengths are:

I can't explain how encouraging this information is to me personally. There are a huge amount of devs out there that grew up on Nintendo and are heavily influenced by them whilst at the same time bringing some great ideas to the table.

Nintendo said they were learning from mistakes and in this case I'm happy to say that they seem to.

Did you happen to listen to the latest episode of NVC? They had on a bunch of indie developers talking about the experience with Nintendo and the Switch.

#

I really enjoyed listening to Damon Baker talk about the indie scene and 3rd party relations. When asked about 3rd parties coming to the Switch he said that he can understand why 3rd parties are hesitant to develop for the console and are taking a wait and see approach. It was refreshing to hear someone from Nintendo speak so truthfully about the subject, rather than skirt around the topic....i'm looking at you, Reggie. Honestly, I thought it was some great PR work and he respected the audience that he knew would be watching/listening.

In other news, Switch performs very well in yet another region.

We can confirm that, across Australia and New Zealand combined, Nintendo Switch sold more in its launch weekend than any other Nintendo hardware in history.

Launch title The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has not only been bestowed with some of the highest review scores in gaming history, in Australia and New Zealand combined it’s had the best launch weekend sales in the Zelda series’ 30-year history. Not only that, it’s the biggest-selling Nintendo hardware launch title ever in this region, even outselling Wii Sports – previously the biggest-selling Nintendo launch title ever in this region – in terms of first weekend sales.

And all this in March, traditionally a quiet time for the games industry.

@Hero\-of\-Time do you think we're seeing a change of generations internally at Nintendo? Was just thinking that with the Splatoon team and Damon Baker that the new talent is finally starting to show its face. I think the era of Reggie and Miyamoto may almost be over. And that's no bad thing.

Anyone who has also had the wifi issue, have you tried downloading in sleep mode yet?

Dude, wheres your router?

One room away on the same floor. Every other piece of tech works just fine connecting to it upstairs and downstairs.

@Hero\-of\-Time do you think we're seeing a change of generations internally at Nintendo? Was just thinking that with the Splatoon team and Damon Baker that the new talent is finally starting to show its face. I think the era of Reggie and Miyamoto may almost be over. And that's no bad thing.

I certainly hope that is the case.

Splatoon was a great hit for Nintendo, especially over in Japan. The younger members of the team that had their input on the game cannot be overstated. I imagine there was some fresh faces involved with BOTW, as well.

I have nothing but respect for the old guard of the company and, even though I have issues with Miyamoto, it will be a sad day when he does retire. For now, i'm hoping he backs off and just takes a more supporting role for the younger talent. Let them grow on their own and have ideas of their own but guide them with the experience that he has.

As for Reggie, the guy has been a disaster for a long time now and I would love someone like Damon Baker to handle their PR. I don't put all the blame on Reggie, though. It must be hard having his hands tied by Nintendo of Japan. However, some of the answers to the questions he has been asked in the more recent past have just been just, and that's on him.

I'm hoping that these fresh faces deliver a more open and experimental Nintendo.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I really enjoyed listening to Damon Baker talk about the indie scene and 3rd party relations. When asked about 3rd parties coming to the Switch he said that he can understand why 3rd parties are hesitant to develop for the console and are taking a wait and see approach. It was refreshing to hear someone from Nintendo speak so truthfully about the subject, rather than skirt around the topic....i'm looking at you, Reggie. Honestly, I thought it was some great PR work and he respected the audience that he knew would be watching/listening.

He was excellent, both in the Indie showcase and the NVC chat.

One room away on the same floor. Every other piece of tech works just fine connecting to it upstairs and downstairs.

Can you tell me anything about the router itself? For instance is it dual band, can you control the output power? Can you see from the reporting which band the Switch is using and what "data rate" it might be getting?

Also where's the Switch? What's around it?

I might check later but honestly at the moment I don't care enough to check all that lol

Ok good - so the discussion was your pupils felt there were no games on the Switch, you posted in a discussion board - my side of the discussion was simply to say as someone who owns the console I do not feel that way at all.

I would have thought that was mature and meaningful enough as I would imagine that an opinion from someone who actually owns something people are critiquing would be of some merit.

You claimed I only accept ultra positive views, but I have stated I have been very vocal about the lack of launch titles and some hardware issues.

I would like to believe since I hold no extreme views for or against Nintendo, that this was a meaningful discussion.

Actually no, what you did was dismiss Flink's presumably factual claims(as we do know he's a teacher, and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt knowing his personality) as being biased or inclined simply towards his own opinion rather than on objective statement on the discussions he observed from the children he teaches. Whether you realise it or not - your post almost insinuates/accuses that he's making things up or making a biased point for the sake of it; because of your own bias rather than giving him the benefit of the doubt on objectivity.

I recall what it was like being 10 years old. I remember Year 6, when I had my N64, and I remember Year 7 too and how it was less cool to be so into video games. I remember what a fanboy I was and how dismissive I was of any competition. I remember that all my news and gaming stuff probably came from my subscription to ONM/NOM that I spent my hard-gifted monies on. I remember that unless it was a game I *really really* wanted; I was unlikely to know when it was out. I remember that there was plenty of releases that came out and passed me by because my resources were limited(ie 1-2 games a year if that) and because I didn't have the information beyond ONM. I remember that I loved video games(basically my second passion as a kid after spider-man) but I also know that I didn't spend as much time dedicated to them back then as I probably do now. Or at least not until I joined my first forum at the age of 13. I think back to me then compared to now - and I was still so much more in the dark back then despite gaming being a huuuuge passion of mine. Literally family would 'joke' about me playing video games all the time because I loved them so much - so consider if I was someone so passionate about them what the demographic will be of those who aren't? Basically I'm the kid in Flink's story who was definitely going to get it, whilst everyone's a bit meh and I'd find it hard to understand why you'd have a fony gaystation over the sickass N64 with Mario etc.

I don't think anyone's doubting your statement that you feel there are enough games - but I think FLink's post was quite clearly explaining that from the point of view of the 10 year olds he's encountered that they don't see it like that. Being an adult and simply disagreeing with a child rarely works - how often as a kid did you do the things adults told you not to, or were wrong, and suffered the consequences despite the warning as a result? To simply say 'no they're wrong' is no furthering of a discussion; because all it ends up getting as a response is 'no they're right' and you get nowhere but the back and forth of that. How do you progress?

We're an older than average and essentially dedicated gaming forum, and I think we can very easily consider things in those contexts whilst lacking the insight into other people's. Why this lengthy explanation? To try and point out that, whether you realised it or not, you dismissed Flink's post and it's akin to the issues both Ashley and myself have referred to regarding shutting down of conversations. If I'd been about for the conversation as it happened - I'd have steered it in a different direction as a mod.

Personally @Fierce_LiNk I'm always interested to hear about your experiences with your kids(and @Kav knows this too as I've asked about his other half's kids and the WiiU, and whilst I've not asked I've enjoyed hearing about @Clownferret Jr). It's a demographic I have next to no contact with - I've always been one of the youngest of my family so I've not had anyone too much younger around me growing up as a kid.

--------------------------------------------------------

Interestingly speaking of different demographics I was at my mate's for CNY a few weeks back - and one of the first things her cousin said that night was that she wanted a Switch. It was kinda weird to me - because I know so many gamers who as groups were split down the middle. Why if a proper gamer didn't want it, would this(sorry to her) slightly airy girl want a Switch? She's a very girly girl and slightly airheady from what I know - loves disney, quite sheltered etc but still she wanted a Switch. I couldn't see it, I couldn't quite understand why - but she did. I thought that was cool though - because it meant where I thought the system wouldn't sell there was a demographic out there for it that I didn't know of or understand but it reassured me as I need this system to do well before I personally buy it.

She mentioned she'd just got Wooly World for her 3DS(and cos of the evening I didn't get to discuss her gaming too much) so I presume she didn't have a WiiU. For all of those in the interests of balance - it was quite interesting seeing someone I wouldn't consider a gamer at all to want a Switch so bad. There's people out there who aren't us, both in favour of or against or just indifferent to the Switch. I think it's interesting to hear about these people as a gamer who cares, even if they're just 10 year old kids or 20 year old airheads!

Just got my arse kicked by the computer in the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo. Lot of fun though. I'll probably get the digital Switch version when its released as I expect it'll be another good podcast/video in the background game to play in handheld mode.

Just got my arse kicked by the computer in the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo. Lot of fun though. I'll probably get the digital Switch version when its released as I expect it'll be another good podcast/video in the background game to play in handheld mode.

Is it really easy to download the demo? Just create a new account, Japanese, eshop, download, play?