NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

How old are they? [Edit: 10 year olds] While its brilliant raising the topic with pupils surely we must take comments such as "There are no games for it" with a pinch of salt as by definition that statement is false.

What do you say when there's nothing on tv that you want to watch? You say something along the lines of "there's nothing on TV tonight". You don't say "actually, there are 200 channels with a program each hour until midnight, etc, but nothing I want to watch". You get the picture. Gaming is not simply a box-ticking exercise and you can't just say "oh, this is a racer. You like racing games, get that!" because that's a rather simplistic way of looking at it.

I don't think they should be patronised because they are 10 years old. They're gamers too and their words suggest that they like the hardware but that there are not enough games (or games for that audience) to persuade them to buy it now.

What do you say when there's nothing on tv that you want to watch? You say something along the lines of "there's nothing on TV tonight". You don't say "actually, there are 200 channels with a program each hour until midnight, etc, but nothing I want to watch". You get the picture. Gaming is not simply a box-ticking exercise and you can't just say "oh, this is a racer. You like racing games, get that!" because that's a rather simplistic way of looking at it.

I don't think they should be patronised because they are 10 years old. They're gamers too and their words suggest that they like the hardware but that there are not enough games (or games for that audience) to persuade them to buy it now.

(But there are 200 channels with something worth watching...)

But I take your point.

In no way trying to patronise, I just can't help but feel - if Im being honest - that its your current opinion of Nintendo at the moment - that makes you more inclined to agree with such a statement.

But anyway...

I remember when I was a kid...all I could think about was the intricacies of the gaming industry.

Good times.

Dem press releases.

(But there are 200 channels with something worth watching...)

But I take your point.

In no way trying to patronise, I just can't help but feel - if Im being honest - that its your current opinion of Nintendo at the moment - that makes you more inclined to agree with such a statement.

But anyway...

Yeah, that last bit makes no sense whatsoever. If their comments were ultra positive, would that make their opinions more valid, simply because they align with your thinking? Maybe it's the other way around, perhaps because it goes against your viewpoint that you find it hard to believe.

Yeah, that last bit makes no sense whatsoever. If their comments were ultra positive, would that make their opinions more valid, simply because they align with your thinking? Maybe it's the other way around, perhaps because it goes against your viewpoint that you find it hard to believe.

No. Not at all.

I've been pretty frank with my opinion on what I call a fact that the Switch's launch was weak. But as someone who actually owns the system, I do not feel like there are no games to play.

Pretty simple.

I just love how pathetic this all sounds. They're fucking 10 year old kids!

Yeah, I agree. I regret posting at all!

Okay lets not have any discussion at all then and just post varied views without a counter-argument.

Okay lets not have any discussion at all then and just post varied views without a counter-argument.

I'm all for having a meaningful discussion.

I'm all for having a meaningful discussion.

Ok good - so the discussion was your pupils felt there were no games on the Switch, you posted in a discussion board - my side of the discussion was simply to say as someone who owns the console I do not feel that way at all.

I would have thought that was mature and meaningful enough as I would imagine that an opinion from someone who actually owns something people are critiquing would be of some merit.

You claimed I only accept ultra positive views, but I have stated I have been very vocal about the lack of launch titles and some hardware issues.

I would like to believe since I hold no extreme views for or against Nintendo, that this was a meaningful discussion.

Ok good - so the discussion was your pupils felt there were no games on the Switch, you posted in a discussion board - my side of the discussion was simply to say as someone who owns the console I do not feel that way at all.

I would have thought that was mature and meaningful enough as I would imagine that an opinion from someone who actually owns something people are critiquing would be of some merit.

You claimed I only accept ultra positive views, but I have stated I have been very vocal about the lack of launch titles and some hardware issues.

I would like to believe since I hold no extreme views for or against Nintendo, that this was a meaningful discussion.

I like the (presumably unintentionally) humorous comparison you made between yourself and 10 year olds.

And regarding the last paragraph, for the last few months you've made several comments to people who suggested they're not getting one along the lines of "but you're going to change your mind!" Maybe you were joking, but at times it came across as zealous, but as I said I don't imagine you meant it to be that way.

I like the (presumably unintentionally) humorous comparison you made between yourself and 10 year olds.

And regarding the last paragraph, for the last few months you've made several comments to people who suggested they're not getting one along the lines of "but you're going to change your mind!" Maybe you were joking, but at times it came across as zealous, but as I said I don't imagine you meant it to be that way.

Zealous? A good number of people who said they would not did buy it. I've here almost a decade, I would have hoped my character and intentions would have been acknowledged.

Either way, I wish to ask to be deleted from this forum. I really can no longer tolerate the drawn out battle grounds/club thing that seems to be going on.

Peace.

I love how we're so tired of arguing with each other that we're now arguing with non-present 10 year olds. This place man.

Either way, I wish to ask to be deleted from this forum. I really can no longer tolerate the drawn out battle grounds/club thing that seems to be going on.

Peace.

Surely there is no need to go to such lengths? :(

If that's the way you really feel, then I respect that and I wish you all the very best but surely there's no need to request being deleted from the forum over this? ::shrug:

People have differences of opinion, it seems the Switch has proved to be a divisive topic. (personally I really like the console just as I like my PS4 and Xbox One, all for different reasons)

Can't we all just share our views, take on-board what each other has to say and move on... it felt like we were just reaching a much-needed turning point on this forum as well in a positive direction. : peace:

Anyway, I just wanted to try and add some perspective, peace is all I want as well and to share experiences of gaming with everyone, be they good or bad times; we're still gamers through it all regardless of our genre or platform preferences. :heart:

Zealous? A good number of people who said they would not did buy it. I've here almost a decade, I would have hoped my character and intentions would have been acknowledged.

Peace.

There's no need to jump from 1 to 100 over this.

We had a discussion and now we'll just move onto something else.

Interesting video that shows why the left Joycon is failing on people. The guy actually fixes it and makes it perform a hell of a lot better, even out performing the right Joycon.

Doesn't bode well...then again, it's only one game. Let's see what other developers deliver.

I think it more due to being a rushed port over the specification of the console.

The performance in handheld more is shockingly bad. Omega force need to patch that.

Also if some developers struggle to get solid frame rate at 900p then I would rather see then go to 720p

Interesting video that shows why the left Joycon is failing on people. The guy actually fixes it and makes it perform a hell of a lot better, even out performing the right Joycon.

Been following SWM on YouTube for a while now, he is a great guy who genuinely gives an informed and unbiased opinion on Nintendo related topics. These "taking apart" videos are awesome, clearly has a deep knowledge of electronics and his videos are always informative. Give him a sub, it's definitely worth your time.

So Amazon have shipped my Switch for arrival today, I can only think it's a Switch that has been returned to them because it's still out of stock on their website. Would Amazon send out a potentially opened Switch console?

Been following SWM on YouTube for a while now, he is a great guy who genuinely gives an informed and unbiased opinion on Nintendo related topics. These "taking apart" videos are awesome, clearly has a deep knowledge of electronics and his videos are always informative. Give him a sub, it's definitely worth your time.

I found it to be a great video. I don't have a Youtube/Google account so I won't be subscribing. :)

So Amazon have shipped my Switch for arrival today, I can only think it's a Switch that has been returned to them because it's still out of stock on their website. Would Amazon send out a potentially opened Switch console?

Could just be one that has been returned without being opened. Don't they usually put it down as a warehouse item if it has been opened?

Guys, please PLEASE no one do this.

I agree with everything that the guys says about the antenna placement/type and the fact that the right joy-con uses an external antenna. Was going to do a lengthy write up on this but life kinda got in the way and he beat me to it (might still do it anyway).

Soldering on a piece of wire like this makes a defacto antenna of sorts but is likely to have several implications. Firstly, the antenna line will now be completely mis-matched to the tuning of the broadcom chip causing a high amount of something called vSWR (voltage standing wave ratio) which essentially reflects power back into the radio. This may work for a short time (personally think that he's lucked out on this massively btw) but is very likely to FUCK the broadcom chip.

I don't know for sure how much this guy knows about RF technology but from the way that he talks, I'd think very little. It's not that he's dumbing it down for the audience it's just that the vocabulary seems pretty wrong.

Props to anyone who has the balls to open their JoyCons or Switch before owning it for barely a week. I'd never touch my Ninty stuff in warranty - and maybe not for a few years after that either! Just do a faulty exchange asap!

Ok so I have another 128gb memory card available for £22 if anyone wants it. @Mike1988uk has taken advantage of one and I've kept the other one for my phone so I have one left. Brand new ready to be sent out just let me know if interested.

@nekunando and @Clownferret will confirm bargain values as they bought the previous 2. :)