NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

The Pro controller is easily the most comfortable I've ever used, and 40 hours of battery is just insane, haven't charged it once yet.

The speed of taking screenshots is great though.

It's great. I'm never quite sure when my PS4 actually takes the screenshot, whether it's when I press the capture button or the 5+ seconds it takes to sound a notification.

That said, they need to update the Switch to make screen caps png or at least 900p/1080p.

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

I managed to harrass an old work mate I haven't seen for a year or two enough to get a brief hands-on with the Switch on Friday!

Wider than I expected, and the Joy-Cons smaller(as contradictory as that might seem) but they felt pretty comfortable. Tried a bit of TV mode, handheld, quick bit of the SnipperClips demo but mostly otherwise just a casual bit of BoTW. It's a shame there wasn't more for me to see at the time and I can't know what the HD rumble's like - but it's moved my boundary for buying the system to around the £220 mark. Would also definitely get a Neon one - I was incredibly amazed at quite how neon it is! Maybe it was the lighting at my mate's or I dunno but the red side actually felt as if it glowed a bit. The blue doesn't quite have the same feel which stupidly bugged, but meh.

One thing I'm quite impressed with though is how close the WiiU BotW seems to be to the Switch version; or at least from the little bits I played of each. I don't think I'd feel obligated to get a Switch version of BotW if I got a Switch. Nonetheless, I'm impressed with the potential for the system - I'd recommend anybody who's on the fence but hasn't had a hands on try and see if they can - may be the experience to change your mind!

Edited by Rummy

It's great. I'm never quite sure when my PS4 actually takes the screenshot, whether it's when I press the capture button or the 5+ seconds it takes to sound a notification.
To be fair, that's because it's not a capture button on the PS4. It's a share button with multiple functions and configurable shortcuts, if you set it to tap once for screenshots, it becomes instant. I think, even when you have it on "hold" mode, it actually captures the screen from the moment you press it (but I'm not certain about that). Personally I'm hoping the Switch button is updated to do more things in future iterations of the OS.

80k is a good start. But if history tells us anything, it's that the launch weekend numbers don't tell us much about how a console is gonna perform in the long term. The wait till MK8DX is longer than it really should be, given that the console will be getting literally zero new retail releases until then, so it's a big ? when it comes to how long Zelda can keep the console afloat for.

MK8DX is gonna be a juggernaut though, it can't be overstated just how important it is that they're gonna have that so early in the console's life, even if it is an enhanced re-release (it might as well be an all new game, given the Wii U's tiny user base).

Saw someone else on the train playing a Switch this morning BTW. Brought a smile to my face :)

Edited by Dcubed

To be fair, that's because it's not a capture button on the PS4. It's a share button with multiple functions and configurable shortcuts, if you set it to tap once for screenshots, it becomes instant. I think, even when you have it on "hold" mode, it actually captures the screen from the moment you press it (but I'm not certain about that). Personally I'm hoping the Switch button is updated to do more things in future iterations of the OS.

They said they are adding video recording later so that'd be great. I want them to up the quality of the pictures, add more editing functions, let us folder the pictures (it'll get unwieldy quick if not) and more sharing options too - instgram, youtube, Vimeo, email another switch member etc

80k is a good start. But if history tells us anything, it's that the launch weekend numbers don't tell us much about how a console is gonna perform in the long term. The wait till MK8DX is longer than it really should be, given that the console will be getting literally zero new retail releases until then, so it's a big ? when it comes to how long Zelda can keep the console afloat for.

MK8DX is gonna be a juggernaut though, it can't be overstated just how important it is that they're gonna have that so early in the console's life, even if it is an enhanced re-release (it might as well be an all new game, given the Wii U's tiny user base).

Saw someone else on the train playing a Switch this morning BTW. Brought a smile to my face :)

Yeah really not sure why the long wait got Mario Kart. This should of been ready to go for end of March.

I think MK8DX will be a big seller but I do think it'll lose a lot of the more casual buyers who will just see the number 8 and not see the point in getting it again.

I think MK8DX will be a big seller but I do think it'll lose a lot of the more casual buyers who will just see the number 8 and not see the point in getting it again.

I guess Nintendo are more hoping that lots of switch owners (now and potential) didn't get the wii u.

Yeah that's fair enough but I have set it up as tap once for screenshots and the notification sound still takes a good 5 seconds. It's very confusing, it also doesn't let you take captures in quick bursts. You have to wait for the former to finish processing.

Did anyone here pre-order from GameSeek when they were offering the Switch for £198.50? Just curious if they fulfilled all pre-orders.

It's worth noting about the PS4 and Xbox launches that they only launched in the US and Europe in the initial launch window, the Japanese launch came a few months down the line so they would have had more units available in each territory. With the Switch launching in every major territory at the same time the units are going to be spread thinner and with the UK being a much smaller market than the US & Japan we would have got a lot less units. Still I doubt the launch would have reached the heights of the PS4 and Xbox One but 80,000 is still a great start and it will be interesting to see what the worldwide total is.

I really hope at some stage Nintendo release 'Pro' Joy-Cons, basically larger versions that mimic the actual pro controller button sizes/spacing. I know it would add extra size and weight but I just can't play in handheld mode, those buttons are way too small and being directly above/below the sticks is really awkward. I don't even have large hands and it's annoying!

I don't think the 80,000 units sold is relevant whatsoever. The Switch sold out it's initial batch (and I'm hearing also the 2nd & 3rd batch) so all that tells us is that 80,000 units was the number of units allocated to UK.

I'm still waiting on any sort of information regarding my Switch :hmm:

I was told to expect an update on its status today (which I don't actually believe will happen :blank:) but with the postie hopefully due to arrive shortly, I'm hoping for a surprise.

Even so, I start work at 4pm so does it even matter now..? ::shrug:

The quote H-o-T posted:

Speaking to retailers this morning, Nintendo Switch has sold around 80,000 units in the UK during its opening weekend.

That's double the number of Wii U consoles that were sold during its opening weekend (40,000 back in late 2013).

It's not as high as 3DS' debut, which was 113,000 according to Nintendo. Nor does it come close to the PS4 launch (250,000) or the Xbox One launch (150,000).

However, it is a strong and steady performance for the machine. There wasn't a huge number of units pushed into the channel (some units were sold out at major retailers) and the marketing and PR campaign was truncated and arrived late in the day. Retailers tell us that they were very happy with the launch and one store even declared: "Nintendo is back."

It's encouraging Switch sold more than Wii U, because there really was no buzz for that, but quite disappointing it didn't beat 3DS. Although I loved 3DS, there was a disconcerting period after launch where it looked like it might be a failure. Still, at least price isn't given as a huge issue this time.

For what it's worth, I do think the wider public has noticed Switch, and understands/likes the idea more than 3DS and Wii U.

Though Im happy with the Switch (basically because of Zelda), I feel its missing just one core game built on the Switch from the ground up to have a better appeal. BOTW, I would imagine, is a daunting game for the casual-light gamer.

Yes. Zelda is really hardcore this time. Gamers are sitting up and noticing this one, which might actually outweigh the machine not having much else significant yet.

I've just got a feeling that Switch is going to do well.

I'm still waiting on any sort of information regarding my Switch :hmm:

I was told to expect an update on its status today (which I don't actually believe will happen :blank:) but with the postie hopefully due to arrive shortly, I'm hoping for a surprise.

Even so, I start work at 4pm so does it even matter now..? ::shrug:

I just saw the postman drive past our house :sad:

I've got about £15 in GAME reward points which I'm going to spend on an E-shop voucher. Currently torn between FAST RMX and Shovel Knight. Owned both on Wii U and will buy both eventually but I can't for the life of me decide which one to go for.

Can anyone shed any light on RMX and how it differs from Wii U or whether the extra content in Shovel Knight is decent? I only played through the base game on Wii U.

Those UK numbers seem ok to me.

It's difficult for Nintendo here so 80k isn't a disaster.

I think Mario kart early April should of been a priority.

Well I'm glad that you're still basing your conclusions on absolutely nothing.

First it's that the Switch wasn't selling enough, and now it's not selling quite as well as it should for completely made up reasons.

I've got a reason backed up by some actual evidence. It's called supply constraint.

I've got about £15 in GAME reward points which I'm going to spend on an E-shop voucher. Currently torn between FAST RMX and Shovel Knight. Owned both on Wii U and will buy both eventually but I can't for the life of me decide which one to go for.

Can anyone shed any light on RMX and how it differs from Wii U or whether the extra content in Shovel Knight is decent? I only played through the base game on Wii U.

I'm in the same boat, I'm waiting for MY NINTENDO discounts in the short term as I play Zelda and Bomberman, but will pick them up either way once I finish them.

As for content, I think it has double the amount of tracks, made it slightly easier too.

Oh, and they've taken out the ability to play with friends :D

Oh, and they've taken out the ability to play with friends :D

But have confirmed that it will be patched in shortly along with a time trial mode.

80K is great. Sure it could have been more but it's a good number and more importantly it's build on a solid piece of hardware. There's no especially naff concept to sell. I see good things coming.

The new content in Shovel Knight will be coming to the Wii U and 3DS versions for free later on in a couple months time or so. It's an entirely new single player story starring Spectre Knight and features new game mechanics like Plague of Shadows did.

FAST RMX is basically to FAST Racing Neo what MK8DX is to MK8. Improved visuals (and the original was already one of the best looking Wii U games!) running at full 1080p 60FPS (60FPS is maintained in 4 player split screen unlike the Wii U version), includes the original 16 tracks, the 8 DLC tracks and includes 8 brand new tracks on top of that for a total of 32 tracks. New cars, tweaked control mechanics and better designed AI.

Support for all Switch control setups (including Pro Controller support and motion controls with the Joy-con wheels) and 8 player local wireless (in addition to 4 player split screen and 8 player online).

Given that Spectre of Torment is coming to the Wii U version for free to all people who already own it; if you can only choose one, FAST RMX is the obvious choice.

Edited by Dcubed

Well I'm glad that you're still basing your conclusions on absolutely nothing.

First it's that the Switch wasn't selling enough, and now it's not selling quite as well as it should for completely made up reasons.

I've got a reason backed up by some actual evidence. It's called supply constraint.

You've lost me.

Not selling enough? When exactly would anyone of said that considering it was released Friday?

Yes we know the 2 mil units put out there for worldwide release was low but I still didn't think the UK market would be as effected as as much simply because it's been rough for Nintendo here the last few years.

I don't think it can be any surprise Nintendo kept the initial allocation to the UK low.

Edited by liger05

But have confirmed that it will be patched in shortly along with a time trial mode.

I know, was just joking. Great they're adding it in so quick, did they gave a date/timeframe?