NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I've opened a twitter account for the sole purpose of replacing miiverse. Its not the same bur it will have to do.

The Switch does take screenshots quick enough and its dead simple with no time wasted tweeting them.

Facebook/Twitter don't really have spoiler functions. I've seen someone post BotW screens on my Facebook feed which could be considered spoilers.

It's not like they've shut down Miiverse when the Switch came out. Hopefully they'll add support in the future.

The speed of taking screenshots is great though.

Finally got home and got my system set up, had some issues with the wifi, but nothing to complain about too much.

Looking forward to taking a deep dive into Zelda now :)

My Switch Friend code is 5359-6335-3894 for anyone who wants to add me

Does anyone else think the UI looks just a bit odd when on a TV? More than anywhere else this is where it feels like its just a blown up image from a tablet. I think its just lacking a small amount of crispness or something.

Not tried it but I read online the UI on TV outputs in 720p. It doesn't upscale to 1080p which is just weird.

Does anyone know when sales figures are expected to come in for the Switch launch? I gather it has done rather well, unless of course stock levels were just ridiculously low, which is a possibility.

In the US I'm expecting it to of done ok, the UK not expecting much tbh.

Finally got home and got my system set up, had some issues with the wifi, but nothing to complain about too much.

Looking forward to taking a deep dive into Zelda now :)

Did you manage to pick up a US version of the SE Zelda?

In the US I'm expecting it to of done ok, the UK not expecting much tbh.

Based on what? There's not free stock anywhere in the UK. Game shops have alla of their known stock allocated to a 3rd wave of pre orders.

Switch FC is now up on the left!

Didn't someone say that @Ashley had a publicly available spreadsheet of NE Switch FCs? Can't seem to see it...

Does anyone else think the UI looks just a bit odd when on a TV? More than anywhere else this is where it feels like its just a blown up image from a tablet. I think its just lacking a small amount of crispness or something.

Yeah I thought the same. I wonder if it's part of the whole 'not finished' business and it'll get an update... Though maybe they don't want it to change on each device. I think its perfect for Handheld, but a waste of space on the TV.

I'm really struggling with the controller, feeling like it hampers my experience a bit. I hit the L button all the time. And why the heck did they feel the need to be different to everyone else and make "L" and "R" the further forward buttons?? It's very unnatural to reach down to the left side buttons when using the left stick. I feel like they designed this controller to make people like me want to buy a Pro controller.

Other than that the system is fantastic.

Does anyone know when sales figures are expected to come in for the Switch launch? I gather it has done rather well, unless of course stock levels were just ridiculously low, which is a possibility.

Some launch day numbers have surfaced for the UK.

Speaking to retailers this morning, Nintendo Switch has sold around 80,000 units in the UK during its opening weekend.

That's double the number of Wii U consoles that were sold during its opening weekend (40,000 back in late 2013).

It's not as high as 3DS' debut, which was 113,000 according to Nintendo. Nor does it come close to the PS4 launch (250,000) or the Xbox One launch (150,000).

However, it is a strong and steady performance for the machine. There wasn't a huge number of units pushed into the channel (some units were sold out at major retailers) and the marketing and PR campaign was truncated and arrived late in the day. Retailers tell us that they were very happy with the launch and one store even declared: "Nintendo is back."

Not as good as the competition but better than the Wii U.

I don't thibk after the Wii U mess the Switch was ever going to sell more than the competition in its opening weekend. Compared to the considered failures the Switch has had a reasonable weekend in one of Nintendo's main weakest territories.

Seems like considering the stock that was there was sold out means it could have sold even more potentially.

Definitely promising. With the stock shortage it's hopefully building some hype up and people are going to keep their eyes out to get one when readily available.

They're doing all the right things so far just need to keep pushing the TV adverts. Drove past a bus stop on way to work this morning in my little town and there was a Switch advert there! :D

Also the fact it was march.

Bit still, it's the next 6 months which will be the big test

I think it would have been perfect if the system came with simply a demo of the first few initially available games on 1-2 Switch. Didn't even have to be all the games, but just a little lure for the casuals.

Though Im happy with the Switch (basically because of Zelda), I feel its missing just one core game built on the Switch from the ground up to have a better appeal. BOTW, I would imagine, is a daunting game for the casual-light gamer.

Switch FC is now up on the left!

Didn't someone say that @Ashley had a publicly available spreadsheet of NE Switch FCs? Can't seem to see it...

Friend code spreadsheet - linked in first post, quite a few people on there now.

I think it would have been perfect if the system came with simply a demo of the first few initially available games on 1-2 Switch. Didn't even have to be all the games, but just a little lure for the casuals.

Though Im happy with the Switch (basically because of Zelda), I feel its missing just one core game built on the Switch from the ground up to have a better appeal. BOTW, I would imagine, is a daunting game for the casual-light gamer.

Agreed, 1-2 Switch should at least have a demo, or better still given away for free / factored into console price. I just can't see most people buying it, especially at the eShop price. Snipperclips would have been another good one to bundle, at least that is more competitively priced. You're right about BotW being daunting too - it's a pretty serious undertaking for anyone really, the scale is intimidating and casual-light gamers will probably struggle to get off the plateau.

Edited by Space

Those UK numbers seem ok to me.

It's difficult for Nintendo here so 80k isn't a disaster.

I think Mario kart early April should of been a priority.

Nintendo has never been particularly popular here in Northern Ireland, at least from my own experience :hmm:

I was always one of the only people, if not the only person, to go with Nintendo as I grew up with everyone else around me going with systems such as the Sega Mega Drive, PS1, PS2 and then everything seemed to split between the PS3 and XBOX 360 after that and continued.

With that in mind, I suspect the Nintendo Switch will perform relatively poorly here, possibly similar to the Wii U if not slightly improved :sad:

Anyway, today's the day I'm supposed to get an update on my Switch order so hopefully it arrives early this week.. but I'm not at all optimistic :blank:

With that in mind, I suspect the Nintendo Switch will perform relatively poorly here, possibly similar to the Wii U if not slightly improved :sad:

Nintendo Switch sold 80k units during its first weekend on sale.

In figures published by Eurogamer sister site GamesIndustry.biz, Switch can be judged as off to a solid, if not stellar, start.

80k is double what the Wii U managed at its UK debut - a positive increase for Nintendo's home console fortunes.

But it's also lower than the launch of Wii (105k), 3DS (113k) and Xbox One (150k). Then there's PlayStation 4, lest we forget, which managed a monster 250k in its launch week.

Eurogamer.net

Solid start, but that was to be expected. The long run will be very interesting, especially with several reports about hardware issues...

Edit: lol, I should read more than only the last post of a thread...:laughing:

Edited by drahkon

Nintendo has never been particularly popular here in Northern Ireland, at least from my own experience :hmm:

I was always one of the only people, if not the only person, to go with Nintendo as I grew up with everyone else around me going with systems such as the Sega Mega Drive, PS1, PS2 and then everything seemed to split between the PS3 and XBOX 360 after that and continued.

Anyway, today's the day I'm supposed to get an update on my Switch order so hopefully it arrives early this week.. but I'm not at all optimistic :blank:

Fingers crossed for you... But heads would have rolled if that happened to me.

Fingers crossed for you... But heads would have rolled if that happened to me.

With the Switch not coming at the weekend, I washed and cleaned out the car so at least I achieved something over the last few days :heh:

I'm also slowly easing my way back into Code Veronica so if the Switch doesn't come until later in the week I may even get a chance to beat it :eek:

With the Switch not coming at the weekend, I washed and cleaned out the car so at least I achieved something over the last few days :heh:

I'm also slowly easing my way back into Code Veronica so if the Switch doesn't come until later in the week I may even get a chance to beat it :eek:

Stay strong brother!

Zelda has come second in the UK with Horizon taking the top spot in terms of sales figures. Pretty obvious due to the massive install base of the PS4. I'm looking forward to picking Horizon up for myself after Zelda.

Zelda has come second in the UK with Horizon taking the top spot in terms of sales figures. Pretty obvious due to the massive install base of the PS4. I'm looking forward to picking Horizon up for myself after Zelda.

Is that for just Switch copies or Wii U? (or both)

Is that for just Switch copies or Wii U? (or both)

Its for both

I think Horizon and Zelda complement each other really well. They're both weirdly similar but also wildly different.