NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Well, that didn't last long - my Switch has broken. The left Joy-Con won't communicate physically with the main unit.

So I'm on my third day with the Switch. All my original points remain.

Zelda is still excellent. But the random slow downs are painful for a brand new system. Hoping that a future Switch OS update allows for swapping between higher resolution or better performance. I'd much rather be playing it at 720p with a smoother framerate.

Joy-Cons are painful to use for any long period of time. They're just too short and having the buttons/analogue sticks directly below/above each other doesn't help because your thumb has to bend to use them. I like being able to hold my arms in a more natural position when using them split apart, so that's good, but it's not worth the additional pain in my hands. I think I'm going to have to buy a Pro Controller, that's not how I should feel after a brand new purchase.

Oh and playing through Zelda is making me desperate for a new Metroid game. I think it's mainly the lifts as you go down into the shrines!

Edited by V. Amoleo

Is there a friend code thread?

Not yet, so far I have added...

@david\.dakota

@markderoos

@are1981

From the codes that I could find, I've already been added by at least four forum members already, so thanks for the add. :)

If anyone wants to add me then my code is... 7152-7755-3125

Well, that didn't last long - my Switch has broken. The left Joy-Con won't communicate physically with the main unit.

At least it might just be the controller? Can you test with a different one? Is the battery flat?

Thats really bad! Does it still work in handheld mode? Get that shit returned!

Am I the only one really in love with the joycons when within the grip? Its just so cute!

I'm really hoping I'm the same when my Switch eventually arrives :smile: I just need to know how it all feels!

I hope that I'll be happy enough not to desire a Pro Controller as I intend only to buy a second Joy-Con set and grip in the future for 2 player gaming with a traditional setup or, of course, 4 player with each Joy-Con seperately.

With the connectivity issues being discussed, though, I'm reluctant to invest in a second set of controllers until the issue is addressed!

At least it might just be the controller? Can you test with a different one? Is the battery flat?

Nope. Completely charged. :(

Thats really bad! Does it still work in handheld mode? Get that shit returned!

No, and I've only ever used it in handheld mode with Flight Mode on. Only used Wi-Fi to connect to internet, and never used Bluetooth at all. It appears the connection is physically broken, either on the left Joy-Con or the left Switch rail.

I'm really hoping I'm the same when my Switch eventually arrives :smile: I just need to know how it all feels!

I hope that I'll be happy enough not to desire a Pro Controller as I intend only to buy a second Joy-Con set and grip in the future for 2 player gaming with a traditional setup or, of course, 4 player with each Joy-Con seperately.

With the connectivity issues being discussed, though, I'm reluctant to invest in a second set of controllers until the issue is addressed!

Really annoyed you haven't got it yet! smh

I love the gripped joycon! Its...aesthetically pleasing in its cuteness and odd shape. The controls are fine for me. Only slight issue im having in Zelda is unknowingly pressing in the left joystick which makes Link crouch in the heat of battles.

That's alright, it's fixed now! Thanks @Ike and @Blade for the concern. Did it help that I pressed that button in the middle of the side of the Joy-Con (looks like a "sync" button, for want of a better word)? Either that or I got lucky.

That's alright, it's fixed now! Thanks @Ike and @Blade for the concern. Did it help that I pressed that button in the middle of the side of the Joy-Con (looks like a "sync" button, for want of a better word)? Either that or I got lucky.

Yep thats the sync button.

I am super happy with this device.

The UI is ridiculously fast. It feels really good quality.

Not had any issues.

I just wish the UI had more soul. It's too clean, too sterile. Too lacking love

Done some longer sessions with Zelda in handheld mode today (had to charge the Switch twice). Definitely felt my hands starting to hurt both times. I did also used to get that with the Wii U tablet and my Vita though.

I've barely had any time with the machine but I've accepted a few of your friend requests from those of you that know me from Miitomo.

I'll add my FC here on the site and get adding some of you tomorrow when I finally get a chance to play it proper.

I am super happy with this device

The UI is ridiculously fast. It feels really good quality.

Not had any issues.

Agreed. The lack of menu/eShop music is deafening. I literally had to stick on a Mii Maker music playlist while setting up some Miis because it felt so incredibly wrong having nothing playing in the background!

That being said, have you read through the articles in the "News" section that tell you about how to use the system? The writers clearly had a lot of fun there 'cause it's a great laugh :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

We're back in business. Thanks for bearing with us while I moved 215 posts over (you chatty bunch).

The first post is now a general overview with lots of links to other threads, our review (#plug) and the friend code spreadsheet. Enjoy!

As mentioned in the other post I've left behind any purely delivery-based posts (there are some which were about the delivery and other things that have moved). Feel free to continue discussing your woes if you have them, but figured it was best to start fairly fresh. If you feel like a post should be moved, give me a shout :)

We are also closing the 'Other Switch Thread' in Other Consoles and encouraging people to post here. We know that thread came about due to disagreements but we would like to have one harmonious community. As such if you find yourself disagreeing with others please do so without getting in to personal insults or attempting to shut down conversations. If you find yourself unable to reach a consensus or 'agree to disagree', just move on. Those that are being obstructive or insulting will be contacted and if it continues will find themselves banned from the thread and, if necessary, further action will be taken.

That aside, enjoy your Switches bitches ;)

Edited by Ashley

Really annoyed you haven't got it yet! smh

I love the gripped joycon! Its...aesthetically pleasing in its cuteness and odd shape. The controls are fine for me. Only slight issue im having in Zelda is unknowingly pressing in the left joystick which makes Link crouch in the heat of battles.

I've been really tired all weekend so it may actually be a blessing that it isn't here yet.. or maybe I'm just trying not to be upset about it :heh:

I've had the Dreamcast on today and decided to try to find my place in Resident Evil: Code Veronica which is a game, like Majora's Mask, that I've just never been able to stick with and then feel lost when I eventually return. Perhaps I can finish it this time :grin:

As for the Joy-Cons, I have almost embarrassingly small, girly child hands so I hope they fit me perfectly :red:

100% agreed. Two days later it's really affecting my enjoyment of the console even more than I was afraid it would. Just turning it on feels like a chore because it immediately kills my mood before I get into a game.

I've had a lot of fun with Breath of the Wild already, but even that is being hampered, by the lack of Miiverse in particular. More often than not I find myself wishing I was playing the Wii U version instead so I could post about my exciting discoveries and silly moments. :hmm:

I don't regret buying it at all, but I've actually played more on both my 3DS and Wii U than the Switch over the last few days... and this is the launch weekend! Feels kinda bad, man. :sad:

I like its minimalism, I just wish you could choose from a wider colour range.

I'm also not sure why the game title doesn't span across the whole (or most) of the screen width. It's particularly awkward with Zelda.

Does anyone else think the UI looks just a bit odd when on a TV? More than anywhere else this is where it feels like its just a blown up image from a tablet. I think its just lacking a small amount of crispness or something.

100% agreed. Two days later it's really affecting my enjoyment of the console even more than I was afraid it would. Just turning it on feels like a chore because it immediately kills my mood before I get into a game.

I've had a lot of fun with Breath of the Wild already, but even that is being hampered, by the lack of Miiverse in particular. More often than not I find myself wishing I was playing the Wii U version instead so I could post about my exciting discoveries and silly moments. :hmm:

I don't regret buying it at all, but I've actually played more on both my 3DS and Wii U than the Switch over the last few days... and this is the launch weekend! Feels kinda bad, man. :sad:

I've opened a twitter account for the sole purpose of replacing miiverse. Its not the same bur it will have to do.

The Switch does take screenshots quick enough and its dead simple with no time wasted tweeting them.

Oh, right, I discovered another annoyance yesterday... Seems like the joy-cons won't get charged if the Switch is turned off (even though the console itself can be charged no problem). Guess I'll have to pay up for that charging grip after all... :hmm:

I've opened a twitter account for the sole purpose of replacing miiverse. Its not the same bur it will have to do.

The Switch does take screenshots quick enough and its dead simple with no time wasted tweeting them.

Yeah, that doesn't work for me, I'm afraid. I love Miiverse for the community, engaging with random strangers enjoying the same games as me, and course the beautiful and impressive artwork. A twitter account won't give me any of that.

(...also it doesn't help that I absolutely hate twitter lol)

Edited by FireMeowth

Does anyone know when sales figures are expected to come in for the Switch launch? I gather it has done rather well, unless of course stock levels were just ridiculously low, which is a possibility.

Does anyone know when sales figures are expected to come in for the Switch launch? I gather it has done rather well, unless of course stock levels were just ridiculously low, which is a possibility.

I'd anticipate probably hearing something tomorrow (opening weekend) or at a push Friday (opening week) from Nintendo but maybe sources like Chart Track would give some glimpses.