NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Been tempted by Zelda to the point that I want it now (lol). Out of stock at Argos and no other places that sell games in this town apart from supermarkets - nothing Switch related at all in Tesco, so I'll grab it sometime/when cheap.

Bomberman...not sure about the controls. Analogue stick isn't perfect for movement on the joycons.

I've had a bit of lag between the left joycon direction buttons when on letter selection screens too...bit weird.

Other than that, pretty happy with it. Shame there is no VC, but...yeah. It's a really nifty bit of kit. Looking forward to getting some proper gaming on it and retiring to bed with it, that will be real swell.

I downloaded RMX and Shovel Knight.

So frustrated for you guys who had problems yesterday/today. Stay strong. On behalf of all customer service workers everywhere, I'd also like to thank Dyson for not being a cunt on the phone.

Did it first thing. I always wear gloves (clean room surgical gloves!) when I apply protectors. But it was easy to apply and I'm bubble free!

I messed mine up so I ended up removing it. :(

Was going to pick up Hori's screen protectors but it's gotten really bad reviews on Amazon.

I messed mine up so I ended up removing it. :(

Was going to pick up Hori's screen protectors but it's gotten really bad reviews on Amazon.

Yeah mine had horrible bubbles so removed it. Cancelled hori order also after seeing reviews.

Picked up the case/screen protector set. Any one actually apply their screen protector, I don't normally and I usually mess it up when I do. I was womndering how hard/easy it is to apply?

Best thing to do is run a shower to get the room steamy. This is good to get rid of dust and finger prints. Then apply

Does anyone fancy doing an amiibo test for me? The short version is, I need to confirm exactly where the scanning plate is. I've got a feeling that it's actually around the edge of the right Joy-Con, not above the joystick like the videos show.

Can someone have a go and let me know?

Anyone else getting annoying wifi reconnection issues after powering the Switch up?

No issues with wifi here yet, I find the new BT Hub 6 to be a bit unreliable so surprised it has been ok but early days.

Does anyone fancy doing an amiibo test for me? The short version is, I need to confirm exactly where the scanning plate is. I've got a feeling that it's actually around the edge of the right Joy-Con, not above the joystick like the videos show.

Can someone have a go and let me know?

I just tried in Zelda and could only get the amiibo to work when on top of the right stick. Tried all around the stick and on the side.

I'm having massive issues with wi-fi. Maximum I seem to get is 1 bar.

I'm definitely getting shitty wifi and problems reconnecting when I come back to the console. :(

I just tried in Zelda and could only get the amiibo to work when on top of the right stick. Tried all around the stick and on the side.

Thank Space! (and @Ashley who was also my very frustrated guinea pig!)

This has answered a mystery on joy-con internal components that I shall reveal soon!

Is it too thick to be docked or does it put the console into standby or something?

EVen though I got match TV state turned off, when I go to dock the Switch to charge it, I have it powered off, once it goes in dock it powers back on. Even if I have a different input selected my TV gives a notification asking if I want to change to HDMI1 as it has detected a powered on connection.

Anyone else have this, or know how to make it not power back on when it goes in the dock?

EVen though I got match TV state turned off, when I go to dock the Switch to charge it, I have it powered off, once it goes in dock it powers back on. Even if I have a different input selected my TV gives a notification asking if I want to change to HDMI1 as it has detected a powered on connection.

Anyone else have this, or know how to make it not power back on when it goes in the dock?

As I said in my last post, the only way I found was to turn it off at the exact same time as I docked it. Hopefully we're both just missing something though. :hmm:

Has anyone tried King of Fighters with the joycon dpad yet? Might just buy it to experiment for SF.

Worried about all this talk of scratched screens. Might pick up some felt to glue on the inside of the dock.

Not putting it in dock. Can't be trusted.

Disappointined again a product has launched with quality control issues.

3DS had the self scratching issue as well.

Edited by liger05

Are the Joycon issues that it keeps doing what you're not pressing/not responding to your inputs?

Well either way; that is what is happening to me. Shovel Knight first boss is banter with a controller that does what it wants to....

I'm glad I'm not the only one with Wi-Fi issues. It didn't get above one bar when updating last night and I was only in the room next door to the router!

Snipperclips for a fiver on Amazon when you buy a second set of joy-cons.

Preorder, out 10th of March.

Sorry, can't post link

Am I right to say that the Switch is a bit of a mess?

Joycons disconnecting, poor wifi, straps getting stuck when you put them on the wrong way... wow, I'm actually happy I didn't get the thing.

Hopedully the controller and wifi issues can be fixed through a patch... otherwise I see Nintendo having to redesign the system, potentially even make recalls.

I've had a chance to have a play with mine now.

I'm really on the fence on whether I like it or not. I'm not sold on the joy cons, they just feel quite fiddly even in the grip so think I will need a pro controller if I stick with it. It's also a lot smaller than I was expecting and really disappointed with the frame rate drops in Zelda, hoping it's not a sign that we will struggle to see games get to 900p and a stable frame rate.

At the moment it won't keep me off the Xbox much but it's a premium feeing piece of kit so if Nintendo can support it with a volume of quality software and a great online service then there's plenty of hope it can grow as a platform.

Am I right to say that the Switch is a bit of a mess?

I'd say not quite. Its perhaps one of those things where you need to own it before any real judgement. And for me these things are just little niggles, that doesn't take much away from the gaming experience. Plus these are all things that can be rectrified with updates, new product lines and what not.

Still impressed.

So I’ve had the Switch for coming up to 2 full days now and I guess it’s time to post some thoughts…

Went to the midnight launch in Bolton, where I picked up the console and Zelda. After reading some of the other posts in this thread, I’m kind of glad I did pre-order in the old bricks and mortar store. I really feel for you guys who’ve been screwed over or made to wait so long. I would have been livid if I’d have been made to wait as long as some people and I’m not renowned for my patience. The launch was a lot of fun, people were playing the Wii U version of Zelda on a demo kiosk set up in store, the staff were obviously really excited too. I’d say there were between 60 and 70 people there, which was unexpected for a town of this size, there was a lot of talk about Nintendo and the Switch in general and a great atmosphere of positivity and excitement. I don’t think there was anyone there under 25 though, so I’m guessing that says a lot about Nintendo’s dedicated fan base. Nostalgia is king. The whole process was mega smooth and everyone paid up before midnight allowing the staff to hand out the goods very quickly.

Setting the system up was a breeze, and yes, the joy-cons were about 70% charged which meant I could do the initial set-up (including linking My Nintendo and the Parental Controls app!) on the tablet, before docking it and placing the joy-cons into the grip. The update took a minute, which was fantastic and I dove straight in to Zelda.

Initial impressions of the OS and e-shop were a bit underwhelming. Coming off the back of the Wii U, which of course after 4-5 years, is fully fleshed out, the whole thing feels severely undercooked. Hell, even the 3DS had more stuff to fiddle about with at launch. I’m prepared to eat humble pie here and admit that the whole thing feels a little rushed. I get the impression that Miiverse and Streetpass will be sorely missed if something even slightly similar to those features is not ready quite soon. Like some people have mentioned already, I was also a heavy user of the data apps on Wii U and 3DS, where you could see which games you’ve played and for how long etc. I’m really surprised there isn’t something similar on the Switch, and the stuff on the Parental Controls app is pathetic in comparison, however it seems come the end of March there will be more detailed information related to the month as a whole. Still, not a patch on what was a very basic feature for previous systems.

What has really surprised me however, is the sheer speed of everything. Coming out of sleep mode and back into a game is lightning quick, as is generally moving around the OS. Very impressive stuff. The store loads much quicker than the Wii U and 3DS despite lacking an actual structured layout. Taking screenshots and posting to Twitter is easy as pie, even if the editing options are very bare-bones. The touch screen seems very responsive and is a marked step up from the Wii U.

While I’m very impressed with the build quality if the device, I’ve had a few issues. The game card slot is a nightmare, it’s very fiddly and I’ve even had the console fail to recognise I’d changed the game one or two times. After an extended play on Zelda, I stuck in 1-2 Switch and nothing happened. It worked upon re-insertion, but it’s worrying, as it happened again when I put Zelda back in. The joy-con straps are also a pain to remove. During a game of 1-2 Switch I had to use considerable force to remove them both for the first few times, even though I’d unlocked them at the strap. Seems to be easier now, but still, not ideal. For the console it’s fine, and slotting the joy-cons out after docking is just as smooth and satisfying as I’d imagined it would be.

I played about 7 hours of Zelda over Friday night and Saturday morning with the joy-con grip and felt it was more than adequate. The controls took me ages to get used to, but once I got the hang of it, it felt like I was using a normal pad. I do feel the joy-cons are much more comfortable in handheld mode though, especially after experiencing the pro-controller. That thing is a beast. Unbelievably comfortable and suitably weighty, definitely up there with the Gamecube pad, the fact it’s lacking proper analogue triggers is still a crime though. Why, Nintendo, why? Still, a great purchase for anyone who is planning on spending long hours in docked mode. I’ve spent most of today playing handheld and I much prefer it to the 3DS, which used to give me slight cramps after an hour or so of play. None of that here.

The screen is jaw-droppingly good and performs even better than my new TV! Even on low brightness everything seems to pop out and there are no issues with colours running, motion blur or ghosting as you sometimes get on LCD screens. I’ve been playing at about 25% brightness, 50% sound and I was at 45% battery after an hour and 50 minutes of Zelda. Extremely impressive.

HD rumble is just as awesome as it’s been hyped up to be. Ball count in 1-2 Switch is utterly fantastic, you really can feel every little detail, I can’t wait to see how this is implemented in future. As for 1-2 Switch, me and the missus played for about an hour last night. It was fun, and easy for her as a non-gamer to understand using the joy-con, barring one or two games, which required a little bit more detailed explanation. I’ll probably put it on a couple more times, but there isn’t much there for two people, it’s definitely more a party game. I’d love to take it into work and get some people playing on a break or something, I feel that is where it will shine. Wii Sports it most certainly isn’t though, and it won’t have the longevity of it either. Feels a bit throwaway, in all honesty. Because of that, I’m glad it wasn’t a pack in, it really lacks the charm or depth of Wii Sports and is obviously not suited to one-player sessions. I got it for free with a gift-voucher from work, but it is absolutely not worth the RRP, even £20 would be a bit steep given the content on offer.

I won’t say much about Zelda here, but I’m loving it. I’ve put in about 15-20 hours and have barely done anything apart from wandering around to find stuff and fight Bokoblins. It really captures the spirit of the original NES game and looks just beautiful. Nintendo have outdone themselves in terms of world-building and scale. The game begs the player to explore, rewarding and punishing that exploration accordingly, without ever feeling cheap or unfair. It feels like Nintendo have really stepped into the 21st Century with this game, into a world where Assassin’s Creed and Grand Theft Auto do exist. Their take on the genre is so typically Nintendo, yet so un-Nintendo in equal measure. If anything, this game gives me confidence that in a few years’ time we’ll all be talking about how Nintendo got back to their best.

One point of note though, I played through Skyward Sword in the run up to this and I will be genuinely sad if we don’t see another “Ocarina” style Zelda again. There’s something about the pacing, progression and structure of those games (OK, maybe not SS) that just feels so incredible. While an open world can be a wonderful thing and give an immense sense of freedom and immersion, a well-structured and defined path through a game world and story can be just as enjoyable. The Zelda series, at least for me, in it’s now previous form was the pinnacle of that. I hope it makes a return in some form one day.

After missing out on the Wii U launch, I decided to join in the fun from the start this time. There are so many games coming out for the Switch that have grabbed my interest, alongside a wealth of indie titles that will be ideal for this machine. The potential for the Switch really is off the charts. I made the jump on that promise and that potential. Did I need to? In hindsight, no. While the Switch itself is easily the best hardware Nintendo have ever put out, the software side is lacking. The OS, while undoubtedly slick, is very, very basic. A number of features from previous generations feel sorely missed and I get the impression that this won’t all be built up until the back end of the year at the earliest. I would have bought this system regardless, doing it on launch day proved expensive and a little underwhelming given the hype for this thing.

Don’t get me wrong though, I LOVE playing Zelda on my new Switch and feel I made the right choice getting the Switch version as opposed to the Wii U one. Plus, it always feels good to be the first to own new technology and this is the first time since the Wii’s launch that I’ve day one’d hardware :D I’ll point out here that I haven’t experienced any of the issues doing the rounds on the web. No joy-cons sync issues, wi-fi works upstairs even after sleeping, and I’m not noticing any scratching on my device.

For those that haven’t made the jump, I would say you aren’t really missing that much as of now. Once some more games come out and Nintendo put a little more work into some of the more background features of the system, I think we’ll have one of the best systems they’ve produced in years. Even though it’s dumb as hell, I can see why IGN gave it a 6.7. Lots and lots of potential, lacking a little on execution on day 1, but I suppose that won’t be news to anyone in 2017.

Still no Breath of the Wild, Amazon can't explain why Royal Mail haven't delivered, the last update from them was it was out for delivery on 3rd at 6:41am

Estimated Delivery is now the 8th! But Amazon will monitor this and ensure it is delivered Monday, so much for Zelda this weekend