NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I'll be up for some games when mine arrives! Can you play against people from your friends list or is it just against randoms.

Its looking like on FAST RMX you can only play against randoms :(. I may be missing something though.

Why Nintendo???

Can't believe this is still happening

So having watched a lot of video reviews, it seems to me that the inconsistency of peoples issues with the left joy would suggests a quality control issue in manufacturing.

Im guessing that even digital foundry did not test mutiple units. Some people are not having any issues.

Well having spent a good load of hours with the Switch throughout the day, I can safely say that I think it is fantastic.

I completely understand the negatives that the tech sites and people here have posted, but knowing a lot of them could be fixed I have never been so happy with Nintendo hardware.

Today I have played Zelda on my TV all day and been completely sucked in to a magical world.

Earlier, my partner got home and I cooked us something up and then we sat down and played SnipperClips together. I'd shown him YouTube vids of it previously, having failed to make it sound anything other than shit when describing it after playing it in Manchester :D and he was a little dubious. He's no gamer ha.

Anyway, it was me calling it a night after we got through the first 16 levels. He moaned like a bitch at having to stop and was literally glowing about the game. If anyone is on the fence with SnipperClips - JUST BUY IT. Best £17 you will spend believe me!

Then he wanted to watch TV, so I undocked the Switch and boom, Zelda in handheld. This screen is gorgeous. My bf was like 'what the hell is happening with it now?!'

I said oh this is handheld mode I can take this anywhere.

Mind blown. He really is a technophobe haha.

Not even started Bomberman but that's a treat for Sunday (working tomorrow :( ) as well as 1 2 switch which should also arrive then.

I was playing in handheld mode just now on Zelda, and I can't quite believe I have a more powerful Wii U in my hands that I can take ANYWHERE. And have someone play a game like SnipperClips with me ANYWHERE. And then play a game like Zelda ANYWHERE!!

Nintendo have truly truly gained that magic back for me with this console. I pray there is third party support, and I pray they just build and build with it to make it the success it deserves to be.

I know a lot of people say they want them to go third party. But when they can produce hardware like this it just underlines to me how disastrous it would be to not have Nintendo consoles out there.

Boosting the signal from the Switch would still counter a lot of it

We've talked about this before so I'll repeat: We do not know if they are able to boost the signal.

If the signal is already broadcasting at the maximum, you won't be able to increase it.

If the chip is broadcasting in a power saving mode, then you could disable that to make the signal stronger at the expense of some battery life.

At this point, I'm just going to suck it up and wait :sad:

As disappointing as it is, it's not like there aren't other games I could be playing..

Sorry to hear man. :sad:

Sorry if already mentioned but any thoughts / recommendations over a screen protector? Bit worried it will scratch docking and redocking.

Sorry if already mentioned but any thoughts / recommendations over a screen protector? Bit worried it will scratch docking and redocking.

I think the hori one sounds the best. Bubble free and triple layered. The one you get with the official switch accessories pack is garbage.

3rd parties are releasing tempered glass also.

Is anyone else having trouble buying things from the eShop? I can't seem to use my card right now...

You can't set a lobby up on fast RMX? Seriously?

It doesn't appear you can. I went online and there were only the option to race against randoms.

Its a bit shit really. I want to be in a party with people on the friends list. I couldn't careless about randoms.

My code is 1114-6376-2817

Who's Kube. They've sent me a friend request, don't want to Accept if they're not from here.

Ive only added people from the recommended list. Might have a blitz tomorrow.

Who's got bomberman. Let's get a game organised for the weekend!

Me :)

SW-0222-7651-0732

This is why I wonder is it even if worth adding friends and sending my friend code out there if I can't even play with friends.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-advises-s...vit-1792952354

In its first detailed acknowledgment of connectivity issues that some gamers are having with its new console’s controllers, Nintendo has offered suggestions—some of them incredible—about how to alleviate the problem.

Nintendo advises that people don’t put the Switch behind a TV, near an aquarium or “within three to four feet of another wireless device, such as a wireless speaker or a wireless access point.” Doing so can disrupt the signal the console sends to its detachable Joy-Con controllers.

The advice appears on a new page on Nintendo’s support site titled: “Joy-Con Not Responding Or Responding Incorrectly When Used Wirelessly.”

The page describes the exact kind of problems that some Kotaku staffers and other members of the games media have been reporting about the Joy-Con for the last week:

This reminds me of when Apple initially told people to stop holding there iphones 4 wrong.

Edited by liger05

This is why I wonder is it even if worth adding friends and sending my friend code out there if I can't even play with friends.

This reminds me of when Apple initially told people to stop holding there iphones 4 wrong.

Did you see my post earlier about that? If it turns out toof be an antenna design issue then I'm just saying that I totally called it.

Its fucked me off. I don't understand why the developers haven't put this basic feature in - the ability to race against people on your friends list.

I hope Bomberman is not the same. Would be really shitty if it is.

With all the little niggles with the software. The activity app is the latest one, i realise it's more for parents seeing kids playtime but it's all we have. So it doesn't break games up. Just how long in total and what games have been played. Plus the total is machine on, even eshop or home menu counts as time.

Yet another annoying niggle. Nintendo, just give us a fucking activity log the 3ds. I want to know how long I e played games for and ideally filters for day, weekly, monthly, yearly, total.....

Well, my day didn't go quite to plan but I have my Switch, Zelda, accessories and Snipper Clips, what a day!

Switch arrived about 10am, the buzzer waking up the baby in the process which meant the console was in the box for another hour while he was fed and entertained.

I really like the console, it's a very tidy piece of kit that sits really well in the living room space.

Feels good quality in the hands and nice to be able to use touch screen for menus, forgot what a ball ache that was when using my XB1!

It's a bit sparse at the moment, certainly the eshop, but I love the simple UI and how it's uncluttered, just get me to Zelda!

The joy cons in the grip are a bit fiddly, it feels like a compromise really yet I didn't want to fork out for the pro one yet, so I'll make do.

Portable mode is really, really good, very fluid moving from TV to handheld, and actually I was surprised at just how immersive Zelda is even on the smaller screen.

Zelda itself is an absolute joy, out of the Plateau and done a bit of exploring so far, but so far I've found plenty of people and plenty of places, all just feels so epic! (Staying out of the Zelda thread as I don't want it spoiled)

Snipper Clips is also a great little couch co op game as well, really enjoyed it so far, great advert for the Switch!

Overall it's not perfect but so far I've been very impressed with hardware and its potential, and Zelda is overwhelmingly sumptuous so far.

Glad I took the plunge, always an exciting time for a Nintendo gamer and I hope everyone who has/will be picking it up enjoys their weekend with it! :)

PS - Is there a way to import my Wii U Mii?

If there is I haven't found it yet. Even the Amiibo method doesn't seem to work!

“within three to four feet of another wireless device, such as a wireless speaker or a wireless access point.”

I like how they don't mention phone, as in the wireless device that is the most prominent piece of technology that we all have around us and that we're going to need to use to be able talk to our friends when the mobile companion app is released.

Nintendo, admit you fucked up with the design.

"Hurr durr don't use it near other wireless devices, they interfere!"

"But don't we need our smart phones to use voice chat on our games?"

DID THEY NOT THINK THIS RESPONSE THROUGH.

EDIT: My bad, they do actually mention cellphones in their press release. Not that it makes it any less retarded.

I assume that, by issuing this, there is fuck all they can do to fix it via firmware upgrades. The next batch of joy cons manufactured will most definitely have the chip placed in the same way as the right joy con.

Edited by Debug Mode

@Debug Mode You know that Ive been talking about the bluetooth for the left controller at length right? Am I just in everyones ignore list? No one is engaging with what im sying about it at all.

I noticed the left joycon analogue was a bit dodgy in TV mode, but I did drop it so I thought it was that! My Switch is quite far from the TV, right next to my router and not in line of sight. Seems fine in portable mode. I have been using the Pro controller in TV mode since then. Hopefully they can sort this out, I might try moving the Switch when testing it today.

If anyone doesn't have the Pro controller yet it's excellent - prefer it over the PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U Pro controllers.

I noticed the left joycon analogue was a bit dodgy in TV mode, but I did drop it so I thought it was that! My Switch is quite far from the TV, right next to my router and not in line of sight. Seems fine in portable mode. I have been using the Pro controller in TV mode since then. Hopefully they can sort this out, I might try moving the Switch when testing it today.

If anyone doesn't have the Pro controller yet it's excellent - prefer it over the PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U Pro controllers.

Pro controller really sounds impressive.

I'm gutted no dpad on joycons. Looking at the eshop I want the neo geo games, and the new shovel knight but want to play them in portable mode but I'm not convinced they will play well without a dpad.

I like how they don't mention phone, as in the wireless device that is the most prominent piece of technology that we all have around us and that we're going to need to use to be able talk to our friends when the mobile companion app is released.

Nintendo, admit you fucked up with the design.

"Hurr durr don't use it near other wireless devices, they interfere!"

"But don't we need our smart phones to use voice chat on our games?"

DID THEY NOT THINK THIS RESPONSE THROUGH.

EDIT: My bad, they do actually mention cellphones in their press release. Not that it makes it any less retarded.

I assume that, by issuing this, there is fuck all they can do to fix it via firmware upgrades. The next batch of joy cons manufactured will most definitely have the chip placed in the same way as the right joy con.

Sounds pretty standard for a Bluetooth device. Most come with similar guidelines.

It's still ridiculous. Boost the signal!

So does this have somewhere that counts how long you've spent in a game? I noticed something similar on your profile page? Has anyone tried the parental controls app?

Finally opening my Switch tonight...

So does this have somewhere that counts how long you've spent in a game? I noticed something similar on your profile page? Has anyone tried the parental controls app?

Finally opening my Switch tonight...

Dunno if this is what you're after but dazzybee mentioned this near the top of the page.

With all the little niggles with the software. The activity app is the latest one, i realise it's more for parents seeing kids playtime but it's all we have. So it doesn't break games up. Just how long in total and what games have been played. Plus the total is machine on, even eshop or home menu counts as time.

Yet another annoying niggle. Nintendo, just give us a fucking activity log the 3ds. I want to know how long I e played games for and ideally filters for day, weekly, monthly, yearly, total.....