NEurope
Raining_again

Windows Live messenger..

...is a piece of shit.

Why do I have to CONSTANTLY update the bloody thing for it to work?

Why isn't it allowing me to plus and hack it like it used to?

Am I the only one tearing my hair out trying to fix this?!

:weep:

You could try using something like Pidgin or Trillian. They also let you use other things (like Facebook chat) with plugins.

Hmm Messenger plus works fine with it for me. I would also say grab the my live messenger skin to fix some of the issues with live messenger also.

Hmm, everything works fine this end. I;ve had no problems with messenger + the plus add-on.

Mine wasn't working on the PC or my netbook. It's now working on my netbook, but on the PC it won't download the new version and the old version just doesn't work.

I didn't do anything to my netbook to make it work (that I know of, I'm a technophobe really) so I can't be any help, sorry Raining!

I understand your pain. I haven't had msn for ages until today.

facebook chats where its at anyway! never use msn now...but yeah live messenger is crap, use nimbuzz lets you have loadsa accounts attached on one like the programs cube mentioned

Trillian Astra finally left private beta so I have no idea why anybody would use the official msn client

...is a piece of shit.

Why do I have to CONSTANTLY update the bloody thing for it to work?

Why isn't it allowing me to plus and hack it like it used to?

Am I the only one tearing my hair out trying to fix this?!

:weep:

You could try old-version for a version you were happier with/compatibile with mess patches etc:

http://www.oldversion.com/MSN-Messenger.html

Personally I'm happy with the regular Live Messenger, once I've turned off tabs, what's new, favourites, sorted offline contacts into their own category, turned off sound effects........ :/

The one thing I used to use mess patch for was getting rid of the ads, but that was back in a time where I was basically on IM all day.

You could try using something like Pidgin or Trillian. They also let you use other things (like Facebook chat) with plugins.

I've tried the other clients, but I don't like them, and none of them have the appear offline function (or they do but don't work)

Mine wasn't working on the PC or my netbook. It's now working on my netbook, but on the PC it won't download the new version and the old version just doesn't work.

I didn't do anything to my netbook to make it work (that I know of, I'm a technophobe really) so I can't be any help, sorry Raining!

I understand your pain. I haven't had msn for ages until today.

*hug* :sad:

facebook chats where its at anyway! never use msn now...but yeah live messenger is crap, use nimbuzz lets you have loadsa accounts attached on one like the programs cube mentioned

I'm gonna say one thing about facebook chat - no. no. no. NOOOO. Its so terriiiible.

And I don't want everyone in sundry attached to my facebook :heh:

You could try old-version for a version you were happier with/compatibile with mess patches etc:

http://www.oldversion.com/MSN-Messenger.html

Personally I'm happy with the regular Live Messenger, once I've turned off tabs, what's new, favourites, sorted offline contacts into their own category, turned off sound effects........ :/

The one thing I used to use mess patch for was getting rid of the ads, but that was back in a time where I was basically on IM all day.

The problem I'm getting is that MSN won't even let you log in unless you update. And a plus addon won't let me log on and brings up the "you haven't got the newest version" error. So i'm thinking that using an older version is going to do the same... maybe.. I'll try it and see.

Yeah, as you say cutting the crap off turned windows live into a pretty decent client.

edit:

wlm.jpg

tried installing version 8something from that website, has no plugins yet

Edited by Raining_again

I'm glad somebody was annoyed by this. Once I turned off that STUPID function of seeing somebody elses background it was much easier.

I'm fed up of all the white space it now has though.

Try running it in Windows Server 2003 compatibility mode, works for me on version 8.5!

Try running it in Windows Server 2003 compatibility mode, works for me on version 8.5!

i'm not having problems with the software itself, just the plus/hax are disagreeing.

its updating okay, then i'm applying patches, and its screwing up and giving me an error number which leads to "you have not got the latest version of messenger"

The thing is if you run the version you want in compatibility mode then you can apply all the patches, etc and never have to worry update updating it and so screwing up the patches. What version are you trying to use?